Sign in to follow this  
gvse

mp9 [wip]

Hi folks,

Alwarren and I have been working on Brugger Thomet MP9, and now that the weapon is really taking shape we've decided to share some wip images with you.

Al is working on the model and I am doing the textures and will probably do hand anims and write configs.

To do: different model LOD's (including geometry, memory, shadow), config, model.cfg, hand animations.

On a personal note, I am really excited about this as it's the first time i've done a texture from scratch so I am learning a lot and making a lot of mistakes too! ;)

Without further ado, take a gander and let us know what you think.

e9tw9md6t6g2wt53g.jpg

Looks really good guys. Can I ask if this will be a primary, secondary or both?

cheers

Primary. There is a variant with folded stock so this might be secondary if I manage to get it configged.

OK, both Al and I had some free time so we managed to get this thing in game for the first time. Here are some happy snaps (suppressor is a placeholder [from the mp7])

95z9pbnp96n46043g.jpg

btcbiihqdoib7x93g.jpg

48kg1j79lj7onc93g.jpg

Edited by GvsE

Good work guys, as always ! :thumb: In short, you are doing a beautiful toys for the ArmA ! What to add. :cool: :yay:

One question: It will be a different kind of camo? Or only the black camo ? :)

Edited by [CSLA]LUKI

that looks great. one question about the textures. did you bake from a high poly? the part of the gun closest to the player before the stock starts looks like the normals are facign the wrong direction which makes the edges look sharp and inwards instead of smooth and outwards. might be my eyes fooling be since you might not even have baked the normal map. if i'm right, you have to invert the green channel of the normal map. if not just ignore me ;)

nice job so far anyways!

that looks great. one question about the textures. did you bake from a high poly? the part of the gun closest to the player before the stock starts looks like the normals are facign the wrong direction which makes the edges look sharp and inwards instead of smooth and outwards. might be my eyes fooling be since you might not even have baked the normal map. if i'm right, you have to invert the green channel of the normal map. if not just ignore me ;)

Yeah the normals are baked from the highres model, but I already noticed that sometimes they seem to go the wrong way. IIRC, RobertHammer reported the same problem once. I really don't know why this happens, they're normal tangent maps baked with xNormal.

yea some game engines need the green (i think that was the one) inverted. it's an easy fix. don't worry about it. just thought i might point it out since i witnessed several people the past just assuming they were right. as i said, the edges looking sharp strongly indicate that the normal map is inverted since it's the opposite effect a baked normal map should achieve unless you have a sharp edge there in your high poly too becasue you really want a sharp edge there.

I've just run a quick test which I hope is sufficient to figure out if the green channel is ok or not. I inverted the Green channel of the normalHQ map that goes in the rvmat (haven't touched the regular texture cause that's more work) and compared the results in bulldozer, and it appears that everything is fine and inverting the green channel results in sharper edges. Here is a comparison snap:

81h8bh615lk8b5l4g.jpg

Am I right or is the test insufficient?

EDIT:

1. oh yeah, thanks for the kind words everyone! :)

2. camo variants: I think they are coming but perhaps some time after the initial release as I am still tinkering with the base (black) texture.

Edited by GvsE

yea some game engines need the green (i think that was the one) inverted. it's an easy fix. don't worry about it. just thought i might point it out since i witnessed several people the past just assuming they were right. as i said, the edges looking sharp strongly indicate that the normal map is inverted since it's the opposite effect a baked normal map should achieve unless you have a sharp edge there in your high poly too becasue you really want a sharp edge there.

Must be xNormal then. I usually use Blender to bake normal maps, but in this case, Blender just output a greyscale image instead (no idea why, I had just switched to 2.68).

Anyway, thanks for bringing it up :)

---------- Post added at 10:54 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

Here is a comparison snap:

Just gotta love how Bulldozer always seems to pick the lowest resolution textures possible :D

OK, so as advised by Bad Benson I have inverted the green channel of the normal map and then redid the texture (plus added some details). Here's the result (plus some snaps of the variant with folded stock). Is it better? Any other suggestions regarding the texture?

x2dma4wuc7e37w23g.jpg

8h1vixs2v7c604c3g.jpg

30481z0q816jfdh3g.jpg

dm7awd7f33d9l2y3g.jpg

fhvb67pr29472x23g.jpg

Btw, Im gonna enable both 9mm rounds and .acp for this smg as there is a mp45 variant, which accepts .acp rounds, and which looks identical to mp9.

Edited by GvsE

Hi folks,

I thought this was a cool night snap of the weapon:

bcjqfw4lho2qw434g.jpg

camo versions are coming:

0v2anv2bu8uk7u54g.jpg

blwwa5n9ycyc10n4g.jpg

Hey guys,

an update: we've corrected the width of the model and (thanks to da12thmonkey) squashed some bugs related to the bump map. We still need to replace the mp7 suppressor with the dedicated mp9 one, and that's gonna be it. Here, some underwater snaps from Altis:

8p8pt3l1vot0i3x3g.jpg

cu64ahualx3u66c3g.jpg

wnb1gd6i6a7qrb53g.jpg

Nice work as usually GVsE, looking forward to use it alongside with your deadly MP7... I would a suggest an optional replacement addon for the BIS PDW SMG, so the AAF forces would be already equipped with your SMG ;D (I know it´s a little too early, but I miss replacement packs already lol)

Thank you. :)

Let me just remind you that neither the mp7 nor mp9 are my own addons: the mp7 is a port of Christian's and the mp9 is being done collectively with Alwarren.

Thank you. :)

Let me just remind you that neither the mp7 nor mp9 are my own addons: the mp7 is a port of Christian's and the mp9 is being done collectively with Alwarren.

Kudos to the whole crew ;D But it´s an astonishing job, nonetheless! Plz, consider my suggestion of an optional replacement addon ;)

Cheers

Alwarren is back so we are full steam ahead :)

Here, some snaps before the impending release (real soon):

nzb8fr8a73ccef13g.jpg

o4aogpiqc969yoq3g.jpg

mn1bm3amtfgffcu3g.jpg