Sign in to follow this  
Marioshata

There should be multiple jets in the release version

Why not just use one plane for both sides and give them different camo, they've done it for nearly everything else.

Yea i thought about that too but it says "the two CAS planes" so i would have to assume it´s two different ones, but from looking at the content they might just do that ;)

Haven't looked at the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet mod for Arma 3? John_Spartan and Saul ported their Arma 2 mod over to Arma 3 and it's been getting rave reviews here and on Steam's Arma 3 forums thread for it.

Also, as far as how the BI-made CAS aircraft are going, from SITREP #00026:

Yea the sitrep was why i asked. Was curious what type of planes people would propose for the two sides in the game, since we have no idea what those two aircrafts are.

F-18 is great yes,

Well I wouldn't want the F-35, don't like it and don't like the F/A-18 either. So I'd pick the F-16 for NATO, it's multi-role and used for CAS and on top of that is a great looking aircraft. For OPFOR the SU-35 or 37.

Edited by clydefrog

This is really great news!

But i was playing some Coop mission yesterday and me and my group really misses a transport airplane. extracting our team on a helicopter is great, taking to the base and then re-deploying them on another far away battle really take time between those missions.

A transport plane would be perfect for that.

In the manual they talk about a cargo transport, and actually I've found in the animation list two animation for a cargo plane.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 4

Yea the sitrep was why i asked. Was curious what type of planes people would propose for the two sides in the game, since we have no idea what those two aircrafts are.
It's a moot point, the official picks were decided on long ago, all we can do is "pile mods on top of 'em". :p

It's a moot point, the official picks were decided on long ago, all we can do is "pile mods on top of 'em". :p

It´s not a moot point. Only if you miss-understand my question.

To break it down a bit. We know two planes are coming, i asked for what examples people had for CAS planes. Not what planes we want the two to be.

I wanted to know what was out there in terms of CAS planes.

It´s not a moot point. Only if you miss-understand my question.

To break it down a bit. We know two planes are coming, i asked for what examples people had for CAS planes. Not what planes we want the two to be.

I wanted to know what was out there in terms of CAS planes.

They inferred they were only looking at subsonic CAS planes, of which there are hardly any and are very old. A10, L-159, Harrier, Su-25.

They should just tell us. They were meant to be in for release day and I'm not in the mood for teasing details to whip up unwarranted hype.

Well, if we're talking fixed-wing and not just jets then that actually expands possibilities -- for example, the Super Tucano, which won the USAF's Light Attack/Armed Reconnaissance (LAAR) or Light Air Support (LAS) program competition. In fact, interestingly enough, apparently the M-346 Master (based on the Yak-130) was the only jet in the competition.

Well, if we're talking fixed-wing and not just jets then that actually expands possibilities -- for example, the Super Tucano, which won the USAF's Light Attack/Armed Reconnaissance (LAAR) or Light Air Support (LAS) program competition. In fact, interestingly enough, apparently the M-346 Master (based on the Yak-130) was the only jet in the competition.

Quite cool, both. The Super Tucano can deliver an insane amount of fire, would be nice to see it in A3.

The Bronco would also look cool.

Edited by MistyRonin

Quite cool, both. The Super Tucano can deliver an insane amount of fire, would be nice to see it in A3.

If we got those I would cry.

weird BIS did not release the F35 along with other planes ( as if NATO does not have any planes in the future :P)....not much for a military simulation. Arma2 was at its peak with all the community addons.

I'm a big fan & had been playing OFP since its release since 2001 and all the series, did not see much improvement apart from lightning & AI. (AI still dumb though & can still hit you miles away lol)

and yet again we have to rely on the community to provide us awesome contents to play with. (very much thankful for those guys who devoted all their time for the addons :) )

Has bis release any official statement why they did not include any planes ? & looks like some contents has been removed from the game for its final release.

Also as a side note, Best game ever release by BIS was OFP:CW & Resistance.

@ rangerskull: TL;DR: They only got the A 143 Buzzard done before September 4, and the-powers-that-be at BIS wouldn't allow delaying the game past September 12, so they had to ship with only the A 143 Buzzard and the other two aircraft would be post-release free DLC.

My highlighting of the M-346 Master was just to point to how every other entry was a turboprop.

An interesting note to me was that if going strictly by the current list at Wikipedia's LAAR article -- AT-6B, A-29, OV-10X, A-67 Dragon, AT-802U, and M-346 -- the OV-10D (second-generation Bronco) is the only aircraft out of them with anywhere near the length (13.41 m) of the A-10 (16.26 m), though the AT-802U has slightly more wingspan (18 m) and all others were even more noticeably smaller and lighter. Furthermore, Textron (parent company of Bell Helicopters) just -- as in, literally this past Sunday -- revealed the "Textron AirLand Scorpion", a jet design with length and wingspan similar to said Bronco (13.26 m long, 14.43 m wingspan) and whose demonstration aircraft will supposedly fly before the end of the year.

Heck, we already have precedent for turboprop CAS/light attack in Gnat's Cessna 185 Skywagon with rocket pods! :lol: Even if that configuration may be fictional, it's an inadvertent-or-not look at the general idea of those aircraft besides the M-346 and the Scorpion, and the point of highlighting the above is that if BI's idea of CAS is along these lines, then you can forget about "a futurized A-10".

@ rangerskull: TL;DR: They only got the A 143 Buzzard done before September 4, and the-powers-that-be at BIS wouldn't allow delaying the game past September 12, so they had to ship with only the A 143 Buzzard and the other two aircraft would be post-release free DLC.

The A-143 was shown in early pics and is a straight port of the L-159 from A2 DLC. That jet's been done for ages.

Is CAS dead in a way? No new airplanes in production for these specific roles?

I think Trent might actually have nailed the planes coming. I would expect the A-10.

Is CAS dead in a way? No new airplanes in production for these specific roles?

I think Trent might actually have nailed the planes coming. I would expect the A-10.

Haa indeed, the A10 has been present in all series, it would be a shame if it wasnt in this one :)

The A-143 was shown in early pics and is a straight port of the L-159 from A2 DLC. That jet's been done for ages.
Tells ya something about how "priority" fixed-wing was this time around, doesn't it. :p

weird BIS did not release the F35 along with other planes ( as if NATO does not have any planes in the future :P)....not much for a military simulation. Arma2 was at its peak with all the community addons.

I'm a big fan & had been playing OFP since its release since 2001 and all the series, did not see much improvement apart from lightning & AI. (AI still dumb though & can still hit you miles away lol)

and yet again we have to rely on the community to provide us awesome contents to play with. (very much thankful for those guys who devoted all their time for the addons :) )

Has bis release any official statement why they did not include any planes ? & looks like some contents has been removed from the game for its final release.

Also as a side note, Best game ever release by BIS was OFP:CW & Resistance.

the F35 is not a good plane, the only reason its still in the R&D cycle (it should be finished) is kickbacks and bribes. DOD is trying to cancel it but apprently "jobs".

its out preformed in every way by both the RUS and CHI 5th gen fighters that are both roughly equal to the f22, but their are going to be more of them then f22's

@ rangerskull: TL;DR: They only got the A 143 Buzzard done before September 4, and the-powers-that-be at BIS wouldn't allow delaying the game past September 12, so they had to ship with only the A 143 Buzzard and the other two aircraft would be post-release free DLC.My highlighting of the M-346 Master was just to point to how every other entry was a turboprop.

An interesting note to me was that if going strictly by the current list at Wikipedia's LAAR article -- AT-6B, A-29, OV-10X, A-67 Dragon, AT-802U, and M-346 -- the OV-10D (second-generation Bronco) is the only aircraft out of them with anywhere near the length (13.41 m) of the A-10 (16.26 m), though the AT-802U has slightly more wingspan (18 m) and all others were even more noticeably smaller and lighter. Furthermore, Textron (parent company of Bell Helicopters) just -- as in, literally this past Sunday -- revealed the "Textron AirLand Scorpion", a jet design with length and wingspan similar to said Bronco (13.26 m long, 14.43 m wingspan) and whose demonstration aircraft will supposedly fly before the end of the year.

Heck, we already have precedent for turboprop CAS/light attack in Gnat's Cessna 185 Skywagon with rocket pods! :lol: Even if that configuration may be fictional, it's an inadvertent-or-not look at the general idea of those aircraft besides the M-346 and the Scorpion, and the point of highlighting the above is that if BI's idea of CAS is along these lines, then you can forget about "a futurized A-10".

and we won't see one IRL either. they don't fit the USAF's concept for CAS. they want fast fighters and stealth, not slow deidicated platforms

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

Tells ya something about how "priority" fixed-wing was this time around, doesn't it. :p

nt really. the other plane models in ARMA 2 are up to 10 years old. the l-159 was under a year when production started and was probally done by the same person.

if you look at the game their are no old models at all

the F35 is not a good plane, the only reason its still in the R&D cycle (it should be finished) is kickbacks and bribes. DOD is trying to cancel it but apprently "jobs".

its out preformed in every way by both the RUS and CHI 5th gen fighters that are both roughly equal to the f22, but their are going to be more of them then f22's

do you have a link to this information?

do you have a link to this information?

someone blogged a compile of all public infomation

ignore the text and use the tables (almost fully refrecned)

http://aircraft.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Fightercraft4/F-22_Raptor_vs._Sukhoi_PAK-FA

that along with comments by a friend who should know about the F35 (Aussies AF), who basicly said its a concept fighter thats just one big concesion. its to slow, but not stealthy enough to cover, and to lightly armed to cover that, and not maverable enough to cover that. and finally its short ranged and over priced.

he personally thinks AUS should go for the russian option that is far more practical, even if its a f18 contempory, instead of a f22 competior, since they are cheaper, faster, longer ranged, and better armed

Edited by nimrod123

http://aircraft.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Fightercraft4/F-22_Raptor_vs._Sukhoi_PAK-FA

that along with comments by a friend who should know about the F35 (Aussies AF), who basicly said its a concept fighter thats just one big concesion. its to slow, but not stealthy enough to cover, and to lightly armed to cover that, and not maverable enough to cover that. and finally its short ranged and over priced.

he personally thinks AUS should go for the russian option that is far more practical, even if its a f18 contempory, instead of a f22 competior, since they are cheaper, faster, longer ranged, and better armed

thnx for the info.

I see the F-35 as more of a long term test for VTOL technology in Jet aircraft.

The PAK-FA has something called "Plasma Stealth" O_o

Didnt know something like that existed. Sounds very SciFi.

Wonder how works?

Wonder how works?

apparently its not a given that it will.

its meant to create a ion screen around the leading edge of the plane that interferes with return signals of radar and infrared detection systems, the generation method is, according to public stuff i have read, not 100% effective. but that could be misdirection, or just a lack of understanding.

the key point of that fighter is that it is either nearly as good, or as good as, a f22, but it should cost far less. therefore its likely to see more production. maintenance cost will likely be lower as well.