Sign in to follow this  
Marioshata

There should be multiple jets in the release version

How many of the stunning airplanes by great addon makers are in regular use in Arma 2 missions so far? How many players are able to join your online game when you host a mission using those addon planes?

+1

We need more "vanilla jets", even if they don't fit in the context of the story.

I want to play with a complet range of vehicles in Warfare, Domination or <put a name of misssion with vehicles here> without downloading any addons. :)

I find this to be very sad too, also by having only 1 base tank for each faction, and even worse, only one LAV.

ARMA II had loads of content, and that was the most awesome thing about it. And how about weapons?

I finished CWR2 today, and find myself playing ARMA II way more than I play ARMA III... I can't wait for Altis, but I would love having more equipment to play with.

What's worse is that L-159 airplane is a straight port from ACR. It's not even new content at all. Neither F-35 nor Osprey were going to be. But L-159 is the most boring out of this bunch.

How many of the stunning airplanes by great addon makers are in regular use in Arma 2 missions so far? How many players are able to join your online game when you host a mission using those addon planes?

Exactly this.

Quite a few of us pointed out back when A3 was announced that we NEED addon-downloading ingame. Obviously nobody in BIS read the thread or thought it was important.

A basic feature that is found in every other large engine out there, but we still can't get it in ArmA...

Don't bother posting "BUT DERP U CAN UZE 6UPDATER LULZ". 3rd party software is NOT a solution to the problem of a regular person trying to join a server, getting kicked with a rediclous error message (for example: "Cannot play mission due to missing content CAWheeled_LAV25"). The average person has 0 clue what that means and instead will just join a different server.

What's worse is that L-159 airplane is a straight port from ACR. It's not even new content at all. Neither F-35 nor Osprey were going to be. But L-159 is the most boring out of this bunch.

Yup. I saw the L-159 flying in the A3 video that BIS did on the weekend, there's 0 new features. So why aren't the F-35 and MV-22 there? Any modder can tell you it'd be a 15 minute job judging by what little work they did to the L-159.

Exactly this.

Quite a few of us pointed out back when A3 was announced that we NEED addon-downloading ingame. Obviously nobody in BIS read the thread or thought it was important.

A basic feature that is found in every other large engine out there, but we still can't get it in ArmA...

Don't bother posting "BUT DERP U CAN UZE 6UPDATER LULZ". 3rd party software is NOT a solution to the problem of a regular person trying to join a server, getting kicked with a rediclous error message (for example: "Cannot play mission due to missing content CAWheeled_LAV25"). The average person has 0 clue what that means and instead will just join a different server.

Yup. I saw the L-159 flying in the A3 video that BIS did on the weekend, there's 0 new features. So why aren't the F-35 and MV-22 there? Any modder can tell you it'd be a 15 minute job judging by what little work they did to the L-159.

you know why its not ingame, legal issues over mod ownership, BIS needs to own those mods or the rights to them incase of any complaints since they will be the ones legally providing them

and didn't the modding community throw a shit fit over that?

Well if you hang around a little bit on armaholic you will probably notice how many sp or mp mission need additional content to be downloaded to be able to play plus the fact that the reason why modding tools like play with six or armalaunchers are common use among the community is the fact that a lot of ArmA players use addons in their missions.

Totally agree with you about 3rd party software also I would like to have a huge number of extra content to avoid modding, but if we got used to use these tools since OFP era because never BI decided to work out this problem

at the end WHAT CAN U DO ABOUT IT??? You can try to spread your idea on the forums every time a new title is announced hoping to have your though taken in consideration and if not you have to adapt with these tools. Tools like playwith6 or armalauncher have not been created to BOTHER the community or to threaten BI work but they exist to cover the gap left by them!!! Like it or not this game always had been mod addicted and unless BI will solve out all this omissions in the future it will always be like this!

Edited by mac81

I'm not concerned about the few fixed wing a/c in the coming release. Maybe there will be more in the future who knows? And even if BI will not add new model it will be just a matter of time to have great plane made by great addon makers. Also because I have always considered BI models of good quality but some addon makers can really come out with stunning work "just to mention rksl models"

There is a limit to how big a hole should be left to modders. Not to mention dependency.

Mods generally don't have the same level of polish and QA that official content has + needing to download half a dozen mods just to play 1 mission can be a huge turn off to some people

The hole left to modders should be as small as feasibly possible.

There is a limit to how big a hole should be left to modders. Not to mention dependency.

Guys I'm not supporting modding or modders against BI, maybe I've explained myself not properly, I simply said that since 2001 OFP at every game release there always had been big HOLES to fill and now close to the release of A3 2013 we are still concerned about the same holes over and over again. And I totally agree with you about the limit left to modders but besides posting here your concern hoping to see improvement WHAT CAN U DO??? You only have to wait and see, but a lot of players in this community are tired to wait at every game release to see improvements so they decide to patch the things up by themselves and then share their works among the community (thank God because I wouldn't be able to do so). You don't like modding, then just stick to vanilla ArmA nobody force you to mod.

+ needing to download half a dozen mods just to play 1 mission can be a huge turn off to some people

Not so sure about it. Its since long time things are running like this and some player could have lost their patience but despite that what I see is a community growing and growing so at the end the feeling is that a lot of people had accepted this and some of them consider it necessary to have a good game experience.

e.g. There is a thread about bipods, people wants bipods, beta is without bipod maybe full release will have it, maybe not, if not people will wait to see it in the future, if not people will go for the ACE. This just to point out agian that you can only wait and hope, but there will always be another solution.

So to return to the main topic of this thread, what I simply said is: I hope to see new planes coming in the future if not I will keep on downloading addons.

Edited by mac81

Well if you hang around a little bit on armaholic you will probably notice how many sp or mp mission need additional content to be downloaded to be able to play plus the fact that the reason why modding tools like play with six or armalaunchers are common use among the community is the fact that a lot of ArmA players use addons in their missions.

In order for your "the community will make the missing planes" argument to work, those community-made planes should actually be a common sight both in SP and MP. That, however, is not the case. Instead of downloading a mission and knowing there's a good chance you get to use or at least see that gorgeous addon plane, you have to deliberately search for missions that require that addon, and when playing online you sure as hell can't just join a random server with your addons because an overwhelming majority of servers don't have them. A community-released F-35 would never reach the same level of use as an official one.

theres only 1 plane because they cant meet the deadline if they added more.

Mods generally don't have the same level of polish and QA that official content has + needing to download half a dozen mods just to play 1 mission can be a huge turn off to some people

Im sorry i would have to disagree with this, some Mods do have the same level of polish. Take a look at CWR2, Invasion 1944, ACE, Red hammer Studios, CSLA, Hell in the Pacific etc. What you have said is quite disrespectful to all those who work on mods.

theres only 1 plane because they cant meet the deadline if they added more.

Thats why they showed the F35 in screens a year ago? That jet looked pretty much done to me. I rather would have seen a couple less choppers, such as no littlebird (that is not so futuristic anyway).

"just to mention rksl models"

You obviously haven't read Rock's opinion on modding in ArmA3 with the SWS and License agreements.

I hate when people say this, here's an example for you.. and probably the best.

Look at Operation Arrowhead. The regular US Army soldiers in that game were made by a community member Johannes and used by BIS in the game. Note, a community member with no help from BIS. When BI get's a hold of them they edited them to add the stupid TASK FORCE KNIGHT and took away the 82nd ABN patches that were originally on them. Now, to compare to BI's work.. their senior artist created the Delta Force in Operation Arrowhead. So please, tell me how mods and modders don't have enough "polish" as BI does...

From latest SITREP: "Top priority for the artists now are two Close Air Support fixed-wing beasts, one for both primary factions. And there is more cool stuff to come!" yay, this is exactly what I was after....something to rival or represent the A10C or SU25T or something similar in payload and ability to linger over the battlefield.

Also about the addon/modded jets, I never used them in ArmA 2 for missions as I always try to make vanilla missions so that people that download it can play it right away and give them the freedom to add whatever they want to the mission. And how does it work with the workshop if you try to upload a mission that contains addons that you grabbed from armaholic, does that work? Do you have/need permission from the modder to release that mission with his modded jet to Steam?

From the new SITREP

• A few assets seen in screenshots and other media were taken well before the project review, when Arma 3 was a different game. We remain convinced the changes were for the better. It wasn't optimal to show placeholder and prototype content before we knew we could finish it. This has also led to a renewed stance to public statements - not confirming or announcing content before we are quite sure about it (starting October 2012). Specifically vehicles like the F-38 (as we called it), were only ever placeholder assets taken from Arma 2, and used to showcase flight and the new clouds, as well as to test fixed-wing PhysX. They were meant to be significantly updated or re-done to match, but due to a shift in priorities, not finished in time. There was no ill-intent when showing them - rather overly ambitious goals, enthusiasm and a desire to share development progress.
  • Adding content post-release is not necessarily new for our games, and a tradition we've stuck with ever since OFP Cold War Crisis. Veterans may remember the free Ultimate Upgrade packages adding major vehicles such as the Su-25, Chinook, Vulcan AA, Kozlice shotgun and more. Another example was the addition of Warfare mode and USMC units to Arma 1. Some of the content will be brand-new and some is finished content shown in the past. Top priority for the artists now are two Close Air Support fixed-wing beasts, one for both primary factions. And there is more cool stuff to come!

From the new SITREP

• Top priority for the artists now are two Close Air Support fixed-wing beasts, one for both primary factions. And there is more cool stuff to come!

Well thats good news. I hope they will also have some new missiles/bombs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBU-97

Still preferred to have seen a few less choppers and a few more jets from the start, But now that I know more is on the way I can sleep better :)

Edited by B00tsy

There has been a lot of talk within the community about the release package and assets perceived as missing, most notably more fixed-wing aircraft. We are planning to release more content in patches, besides the campaign itself....

​Yes!

Im sorry i would have to disagree with this, some Mods do have the same level of polish. Take a look at CWR2, Invasion 1944, ACE, Red hammer Studios, CSLA, Hell in the Pacific etc. What you have said is quite disrespectful to all those who work on mods.

Oh don't get me wrong, the large total conversion mods like those tend to be of a high standard, and I have nothing but respect for the developers and I love the mods themselves, but quite often I have downloaded things like plane mods and weapon mods and the quality of them is leagues behind something that a full dev team with a budget and a QA department can do. This isn't to say all mods are bad or all vehicle/weapon mods are bad, but the content Bohemia puts into their games is usually well made and polished to a high degree. Mods, not as much.

Top priority for the artists now are two Close Air Support fixed-wing beasts, one for both primary factions.

Called it.

Some of the content will be brand-new and some is finished content shown in the past.

Could this mean the return of the railgun tank? If so, awesome as hell :D

It would explain the devs silence on the matter

Thats why they showed the F35 in screens a year ago? That jet looked pretty much done to me. I rather would have seen a couple less choppers, such as no littlebird (that is not so futuristic anyway).

Exactly. If they had time to get the shitty L-39 thing in game, I can't see how they didn't have time to port any of the other planes, especially as that F-35 looked pretty much done. The whole thing seems a bit ad hoc.

For those of us with the game already, the actual release of it is just an extra big patch. For those considering buying it when it's released, it doesn't have a campaign, or as many assets to play with as previous titles did at release (AFAIK). Doesn't seem much to get excited about if you don't already own it.

Still, credit where it's due to BIS, they've ploughed on ahead and got something out the door.

BIS are kind of damned if they do and damned if they don't. Delay the release = "WROOAARRR! Where's our game?" Release a sub-par game (eg missing planes) = "WROOOAARRR! Where's our planes?"

I do shudder a little every time a decent mod comes out which addresses the game's short-comings (eg supression effects, weapon resting, ground textures). Seems like one more hole (granted it's still a beta) left for modders to fill.

EDIT: Good news on the plane front. Thanks for the update PurePassion.

Edited by Chops
Didn't see sitrep post above

Exactly. If they had time to get the shitty L-39 thing in game, I can't see how they didn't have time to port any of the other planes, especially as that F-35 looked pretty much done. The whole thing seems a bit ad hoc.

For those of us with the game already, the actual release of it is just an extra big patch. For those considering buying it when it's released, it doesn't have a campaign, or as many assets to play with as previous titles did at release (AFAIK). Doesn't seem much to get excited about if you don't already own it.

Still, credit where it's due to BIS, they've ploughed on ahead and got something out the door. BIS are kind of damned if they do and damned if they don't. Delay the release = "WROOAARRR! Where's our game?" Release a sub-par game (eg missing planes) = "WROOOAARRR! Where's our planes?"

I do shudder a little every time a decent mod comes out which addresses the game's short-comings (eg supression effects, weapon resting, ground textures). Seems like one more hole (granted it's still a beta) left for modders to fill.

If people give it a chance hopefully BIS can patch some of the annoyances up after they've busted a nut on release. I do admit though, they have courage and I very much admire BIS for continuing on in tough times, and keeping us up to date honestly with all the pitfalls (and the good stuff too! :D)

Oh don't get me wrong, the large total conversion mods like those tend to be of a high standard, and I have nothing but respect for the developers and I love the mods themselves, but quite often I have downloaded things like plane mods and weapon mods and the quality of them is leagues behind something that a full dev team with a budget and a QA department can do. This isn't to say all mods are bad or all vehicle/weapon mods are bad, but the content Bohemia puts into their games is usually well made and polished to a high degree. Mods, not as much.

Of course a full dev team QA department will make highly quality addons and content. Addon and mod makers at the end of the day make the addons for themselves, for their enjoyment (which is one of the reasons i do it, even though i have spent 100s of hours, i still do it), its a bonus that they decide to share the content to the community. If we didn't have addon makers, mission makers etc the OFP/Arma series certainly would not be as diverse.

Anyway i digress, its great news that BIS have said they are concentrating on adding two new fixed wing aircraft.

I'm curious what the new CSAT jet will be based on

Perhaps based on a Chinese Jet, which would be good to see instead of Russian Kit.