Sign in to follow this  
kupcho

User Set Squad Formations

Although the formations available are helpful, I would like to have the ability to set, and have a squad move in, a formation of my own design.

Instead of being restricted to the formations that are recognized already, I could set the individuals into any configuration I want.

What do you mean ? :confused:

ArmA2 formations are: "COLUMN", "STAG COLUMN", "WEDGE", "ECH LEFT", "ECH RIGHT", "VEE", "LINE", "FILE", "DIAMOND".

... if you want to change, so get them directly to ''stand'' as you need it no ?

Edited by [CSLA]LUKI
Changed content

Sorry for the delay getting back here (health issues).

My post concerned setting a formation of MY design.

That is, for example, I want a rifleman to walk point, an auto rifleman at 10 meters to his 4 o'clock, a grenadier in line with the pointman but 20 meters back with another rifleman on line with him 3 meters to the left. Then have the entire group maintain their positions and spacing as they move forward.

Of course all this may be pointless since, as of this posting, NONE of the formations are working. It doesn't matter which formation I set in the way point, they always move in a column.

I haven't tested or checked this, but maybe you need to set their status to stealth, combat, aware etc. Can't remember the actual names of a couple at the moment.. I believe its 7-1 7-2 or 7-3 (after selecting the infantry).

Thanks folks. I figured out what I was doing wrong and having all the troops move in columns.

They MUST be set to something other than 'safe' or 'careless'. As long as they think that they may be fired on, they will stay in formation.

But, sadly, I guess that there's no way to set up a 'user defined' formation. Maybe someone that understands coding knows a way, but not for basic folks like me.

Yeah, I think they probably thought that the default formations included have been proven to be the most effective and that you wouldn't need any others. I don't think you can set other units to be on point in the formation, either. It's always you up front.

Well, maybe I should reword that. Smarta** :P

You're always the leading element in formations, but when I think about it I guess it wouldn't really work having an AI taking point in any formation.

Like a formation where everyone isn't 5 metres from each other and get taken out by a single grenade...

'Disperse'-formation, spread out within 100 metres. And taking cover if there is any.

You can order your squadmates to flank left/right or advance/fall back, like in my picture you can cover a very broad area and make most "custom" formations if wanted.

They will move in this formation and keep it until you give the "return to formation" command.

http://i.imgur.com/UVaXsCx.jpg (217 kB)

There's also a "Take Cover" command.

http://i.imgur.com/43yVGxg.jpg

That is nice, have to try it out but would be even nicer if it was just 1 command =).

Half the squad flank left, other half flank right, all taking cover -> Call it 'Disperse'.