PepinKr

[Resources] How to make a Terrain

Hi guys. I couldn't find out how to make my own thread so I will post my problem/question here.

I'm making a 20480x20480m map for the first time. I followed the Atlas guide and made my default map and everything worked the way it should. Now when I'm using different sat, mask and height map for my own map it's not going my way.

I am at stage 'f' in the Atlas guide, right where you connect to Buldozer after importing the sat, mask and height map. This is where I see that something is wrong.

picture

As you can see, it doesn't look right. I am fairly certain that the terrain in some way is dragged out of proportions hight-wise. Like, stretched. Any idea how to fix it or if there's something else going on?

This is the size of my sat, mask and height map images: picture

^ Oh, my sat, mask, height map images are all 2048 x 2048 px.

And this is the samplers tab: picture

See something wrong? I am new to this but I'm trying to make a map for off-duty training purposes in the Army.

Thanks in advance.

Where did you get your height map from? Open the .asc file in notepad++ and it should say

ncols 2048
nrows 2048
xllcorner 200000.000000
yllcorner 0.000000
cellsize 10.000000

Maybe try having a look at the pmc wiki link in my sig, it's a lot more up to date than Atlas guide

• Like 1

On 15.3.2017 at 9:04 AM, RoF said:

Where did you get your height map from? Open the .asc file in notepad.

Maybe try having a look at the pmc wiki link in my sig, it's a lot more up to date than Atlas guide

Thanks for the answer and sorry for the late reply.

I used terrain party to get a height map. I can't find any height map .asc file, so I take it I should have used something else other than terrain party? Or can I make my own .asc?

I will definetely look into the PMC Wiki

13 hours ago, bounceFM said:

Thanks for the answer and sorry for the late reply.

I used terrain party to get a height map. I can't find any height map .asc file, so I take it I should have used something else other than terrain party? Or can I make my own .asc?

I will definetely look into the PMC Wiki

Go follow the pmc wiki, it has fake terrain or real life guides on there

• Like 1

Hi again. So, I have followed the PMC wiki and I still run into trouble with my height map. Now, when I open the terrain in buldozer, it's just flat. No curves or anything. But I can see the terrain with grass_green, satellite photo and all that. Everything except height. Last time (with the Atlas guide) I was pretty sure the terrain was stretched out height-wise (photo: here), but now (with the PMC guide) there is almost no elevation at all.

This is how the .asc layer looks like in terrain builder: picture

And this is how the elevation is supposed to look like: picture

This is how my .asc file looks like in notepad++: picture

And for the record, I got the height map from OpenTopography. I had to use the ALOS World 3D - 30m because the real life terrain wasn't available in the (SRTM GL1) Global 30m (Northern Norway).

Again, I appreciate the replies and the help from this community. Just amazing!

Terrain properties: picture

Okey guys, I think I can fix the stretched out-problem by tweaking these settings in TB. Anyone know how to do it? Because now, the terrain is approx. 2x as tall as it should be. How can I change this?

If I can get the max elevation down to, let's say, 1500m that would be great. And one more thing- is the 'above sea' (4 194 304m) important? And what about med. elevation and average elevation?

Thanks

EDIT:

New problem. When I export the terrain from TB to a .wrp and then use pboproject to pack/crunch it, this happens: picture

I'm lost. All out of ideas. So frustrating...

Edited by bounceFM
additional problem

It shouldn't look like that in terrain builder, what are you using to extract the heightmap from the OpenTopography files? Global Mapper or QGIS?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoF said:

It shouldn't look like that in terrain builder, what are you using to extract the heightmap from the OpenTopography files? Global Mapper or QGIS?

I used Global Mapper. 

It shouldn't be rotated, or?

7 hours ago, bounceFM said:

I used Global Mapper. 

It shouldn't be rotated, or?

When you make the square in GM, you need to make sure there is height map in all of it. If there isn't, then go download a bigger selection from OpenTypo. Also don't forget to change projection to UTM in GM

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RoF said:

When you make the square in GM, you need to make sure there is height map in all of it. If there isn't, then go download a bigger selection from OpenTypo. Also don't forget to change projection to UTM in GM

I will try that, great.

Thank you so much for taking time answering my silly questions.

On 22.3.2017 at 7:53 AM, RoF said:

It worked, my terrain looks great in Buldozer now. After this I export it as a .wrp, but I can't seem to pack it using pboproject. It simply doesn't go. When I hit 'crunch' it instantly comes up with this message: picture

"scanning for jobs to do....

processing tag\tag_mymapname

file error: tag\tag_mymapname\tag_mymapname.wrp

makepbo x64unicodeversion 1.92, Dll 5.66 "tag_mymapname"

faulty/unknown wrp or p3d format

makepbo failed

tag_mymapname.pbo not produced due to error(s)

job(s) completed in 1secs on blablabla"

Delete the .wrp and try exporting .wrp again, it wouldn't be the first time TB has exported a corrupt file.

If it still happens, check the "view binlog" and "view output", that's where it tends to shows what's happening before the fail

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bounceFM said:

It worked, my terrain looks great in Buldozer now. After this I export it as a .wrp, but I can't seem to pack it using pboproject. It simply doesn't go. When I hit 'crunch' it instantly comes up with this message: picture

processing tag\tag_mymapname

makepbo x64unicodeversion 1.92, Dll 5.66 "tag_mymapname"

makepbo failed

job(s) completed in 1secs on blablabla"

From what i can see is that your using a old Pbo Project your is version 1.72 the latest if im not correct is 1.94 so the p3ds you have placed don't work on older versions anymore etc if you placed a p3d version 73 the pbo project wouldn't be able to reconigse that p3d hence faulty p3d and fail to produce the map, check the view output and that will tell ya where the error is 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leegards said:

From what i can see is that your using a old Pbo Project your is version 1.72 the latest if im not correct is 1.94 so the p3ds you have placed don't work on older versions anymore etc if you placed a p3d version 73 the pbo project wouldn't be able to reconigse that p3d hence faulty p3d and fail to produce the map, check the view output and that will tell ya where the error is 

Thank you, I will try the newest version.

Oh, and when I check 'view output(s)' I just get redirected to a folder, sometimes a notepad document with nothing constructive in it.

1 minute ago, bounceFM said:

Thank you, I will try the newest version.

Oh, and when I check 'view output(s)' I just get redirected to a folder, sometimes a notepad document with nothing constructive in it.

your welcome

Also whats the actual error in the notepad?

• Like 1

Just now, Leegards said:

your welcome

Also whats the actual error in the notepad?

If I remember correctly it just says "*.psd,*.psb,*.bat,*.rar,*.7z,thumbs.db,*.txt,*.h,*.dep,*.cpp,*.bak,*.tga,*.png,*.log,*.pew,*.hpp,source"

or something like that, but I'm not 100% sure. I can send screen shot if it happens when I try to pack.

ok sure mate have you placed down objects on map so far? if so mods or A3 assets?

• Like 1

Just now, Leegards said:

ok sure mate have you placed down objects on map so far? if so mods or A3 assets?

Haven't tried to place any objects yet, only on the default map on the atlas guide. A3 assets

4 minutes ago, Leegards said:

but there is A3 assets on the map already?

No, no objects at all. Only a terrain with mask and sat photo :)

Ok I tried packing it again, didn't work. This is the folder that opens when I click 'view outputs'- or 'binlogs': picture

I will try again from scratch, importing it all again. So give me 40 minutes:)

48 minutes ago, Leegards said:

He's using the free tools, which is version 1.73 I think

• Like 1

I cleared the temp folder and tried to re pack, didnt work. So now I have done it all from scratch, still not working (packing it). But now I can at least see the 'view outputs' file and it is as follows:

"MakePbo.exe "-PgF" "-X=thumbs.db,*.txt,*.h,*.dep,*.cpp,*.bak,*.png,*.log,*.pew, *.hpp" "tag\tag_mymapnam" "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\steamapps\common\Arma 3\@mymapname\Addons"" 

This is what pboproject said:

Processing tag\tag_mymapname
MakePbo x64UnicodeVersion 1.92, Dll 5.66 "tag_mymapname"

makepbo failed
Job(s) completed in 0secs on Thu Mar 23 17:24:54 2017"

Best thing would be to read those logs, pboprojects points you to. Usually the last line indicates the error.

In your case this will be either of the two "rnj_XYZ_packing.log" data in your temp folder (depending on which map you tried to pack) where pboprojects links you to.

• Like 1