Sign in to follow this  
Polygon

Official A3 campaign thread - discussion, wishlists & more

My wish for Campaign - 1 non-cutscene enemy combatant AI who is actually *gasps* indoors! In all the official BI missions I can ever recall, not one is placed inside. You guys say you don't need to improve the indoor AI as it's all scriptable...prove it!

Fiddling around the other day i noticed in the campaign section of the game that "Host" is there grayed out but is clearly there. I thought i read somewhere the campaign was'nt going to be a coop-campaign.

Fiddling around the other day i noticed in the campaign section of the game that "Host" is there grayed out but is clearly there. I thought i read somewhere the campaign was'nt going to be a coop-campaign.

it won't be they said, at least all 3 episodes. Devs said, will work on a coop campaign later.

Edited by NeuroFunker

it won't be they said, at least all 3 episodes. Devs said, will work on a coop campaign later.

By co-op, do they mean a new campaign or an update to all three episodes?

question.....

when the episode is released... how are we going to report bugs?

example - mission 3 part.....when you hide behind the ***** and when the task called ****** doesn't work...

I don't get how we are going to report issues without spoiling anything??

@mods.

can we update the title on the thread "read at your own risk!!!"

The Official Missions section of these forums is exempt from spoilers unless they're in thread titles. See the section's description:

Forum: ARMA 3 - OFFICIAL MISSIONS

For discussing official ARMA 3 missions only, no spoilers in titles please.

Posting spoilers about the campaign missions anywhere other than here may result in a permanent ban from the forums.

The fact that the official campaign isn't going to be MP compatible doesn't necessarily mean the community won't be able to host their own.

The fact that the official campaign isn't going to be MP compatible doesn't necessarily mean the community won't be able to host their own.

thanks for explaination, i kinda were lying hopes on official campaign coopability.

Wow, playing second mission so far, just wow! Only few official campaigns did hook me in to it, since ofp times, survive is now one of then! ;)

Edited by NeuroFunker

I'm about four "missions", (for lack of a better word.), into the campaign, and I must say I'm positively surprised at how polished and "professional" it feels. (Thus far, at least.) I haven't had any scripting-fuckups; everything has appeared to run very smoothly, with lots of atmosphere and what appears to be professional-quality voice acting. I didn't expect that.

Very positively surprised, so far. :)

The Campaign is amazing so far. I've played the first couple of Missions and it feels really good. One thing about enemies:

There still aren't any of them inside buildings...atleast so far. Maybe you could change that?

Overall, these are the cool things about it (and I haven't found anything bad except for the little thing in the spoiler...even though it doesn't spoil anything about the plot etc., just AI):

- Great Voice acting

- You can really feel like the guys on your screen..you're sad when someone dies, you're really happy to get into safe spots

- No issues, even after my leader was killed I could still finish the mission with the other guys

- Not too easy, but no stupid deaths where just some random mine goes off somewhere and you're dead

- Great implementation of ArmA 3's new features: strategic Map, Drones, Diving etc...it's all there!

Ultimately, I really have to thank you guys for that campaign, atleast so far! If it goes on as amazing as now, I hope you made it last like 100 hours. I hate knowing that I'm gonna be done with the first episode tomorrow....

The Campaign is amazing so far. I've played the first couple of Missions and it feels really good. One thing about enemies:

There still aren't any of them inside buildings...atleast so far. Maybe you could change that?

Overall, these are the cool things about it (and I haven't found anything bad except for the little thing in the spoiler...even though it doesn't spoil anything about the plot etc., just AI):

- Great Voice acting

- You can really feel like the guys on your screen..you're sad when someone dies, you're really happy to get into safe spots

- No issues, even after my leader was killed I could still finish the mission with the other guys

- Not too easy, but no stupid deaths where just some random mine goes off somewhere and you're dead

- Great implementation of ArmA 3's new features: strategic Map, Drones, Diving etc...it's all there!

Ultimately, I really have to thank you guys for that campaign, atleast so far! If it goes on as amazing as now, I hope you made it last like 100 hours. I hate knowing that I'm gonna be done with the first episode tomorrow....

As for you spoiler, that's not true. Just keep playing.

After finishing all the missions in the first episode (dev branch), I have to recognize that these were the best campaign missions since OFP / OFP:R ( although it didn't beat how I felt when I played the first CWC missions ). And almost clean of bugs and errors.

I must say that BI guys have done an outstanding job, and I believe that the episodic release of the campaign it's gonna make people truly appreciate that master work ( you know, better little by little to taste it properly ).

I even think that after the three "vanilla" episodes, BI should work on more ( included in future paid DLCs that could also add new factions ), as long as they keep their quality standards. Besides that Altis has space for a lot of fighting...

After finishing all the missions in the first episode (dev branch), I have to recognize that these were the best campaign missions since OFP / OFP:R ( although it didn't beat how I felt when I played the first CWC missions ). And almost clean of bugs and errors.

I must say that BI guys have done an outstanding job, and I believe that the episodic release of the campaign it's gonna make people truly appreciate that master work ( you know, better little by little to taste it properly ).

I even think that after the three "vanilla" episodes, BI should work on more ( included in future paid DLCs that could also add new factions ), as long as they keep their quality standards. Besides that Altis has space for a lot of fighting...

I have to agree. This campaign is the first since OFP that really sucked me in and made me want to play more of it. Voice acting was good, so far it's pretty fun and seems a bit like a mix between OFP and Resistance's campaign. After playing this I now want to go beat the hell out of some CSAT in the editor. My one big thing would be to make, perhaps, a "special" ammo type for mortars/artillery which has GREAT accuracy compared to normal rounds and is only used in the campaign for those missions where you have to use *shudder* mortars to destroy watchtowers.

Edited by steamtex

From what I've played of the campaign so far, I am very impressed.

Well done BI, the extra time needed to polish the campaign really shows, so I really do take my hat off to you. Well done.

Pros

- Neat, compact missions

- Good variety of tasks

- Steady learning curve

- Solid scripting (probably owing to the more focused mission design)

- Eye candy - BI know how to work a sunset!

- Overall level of polish

Cons

- None so far

Yes, I'm now done with all the missions and really had no problems at all. And for my little spoiler with having no AI inside buildings...yes, you're right, there comes a point where that's not true anymore. Thanks BI! But you could have some more of those "clean building" mission parts, they are a lot of fun.

And maybe you could integrate some more choices for players in the next episodes? An example of a nice one would be:

You're somewhere stuck with your buddy, he asks "Our only option is to go into that town over there and ask for help or do you see any other ways?"

And then you can choose between "yes, I guess you're right." or "We could try to find help at this camp over there." And if you go to the camp, you might find more help than in the town, but there is a possibility that there are just enemies who will kill you. That would make the campaign again a lot better than it is now.

I've already completed the first campaign episode and the overall quality is extremely good in my opinion, there are barely any bugs, there are no repetitive gameplay elements and the cut scenes are outstandingly realistic thanks to the new engine.

Unfortunately however I've found a couple bugs and complaints I'll write them all down.

In the mission "Valley of Death" I occassionally got script errors, they did not affect the playability of the mission though.

In the mission "Blackfoot Down" the Medic of the fireteam often gets stuck after having lost the pilot of the Blackfoot making him unavoidably die at the end of the mission where you have to blow up the Blackfoot.

In the last mission the paratroopers are deployed directly in front of your unit meaning that they can't take cover and just get slaughtered by the NATO soldiers, also the mortars are extremely annoying and you can't do anything against them, I would suggest to remove them/tweak them.

Also I've found an AI related issue, often the AIs are unrealistically accurate, they can easily run for 300 meters and subsequently hit enemies at long ranges with pinpoint accuracy while still standing up.

Well done BIS. I just finished the Blackfoot mission, and so far it is going very well. I'll play more a little later.

Best so far since CWC/Resistance. Splendid suits Arma 3 very well! Keep up the good work!

In fairness, I'm not sure whether it's actually possible to replicate "how I felt when I played the first CWC missions", considering the context of "first playing OFP"... that's a "moment in history" thing that's out of BI's hands, just like how big DayZ was. ;) Still, if they're the best at least the best since, then in a sense, mission accomplished. :D

I have to say, the presentation is... somewhat reminiscent of some "AAA game" SP campaigns, but that's not actually a bad thing here. :lol: As a specific plus, I do like how the hint system (which we already learned months ago would just be calling-up pertinent Field Manual entries) is combined with the 'advice' Support to give more mission-specific advice as subtitled/voiced dialogue, though I agree that it could stand to be even more obvious, maybe even "enabled by default", and I'd prefer for the "mission-relevant" waypoint HUD indicator to have a different UI color than the rest of the UI to further distinguish it.

what you were thinking when you were creating this campaign? why the weapons , ammo and items i loot from the downed enemy soldiers do mysteriously disappear when i get to another mission in the camp?

this has been since the beginning of arma series, there is no way to store neither continue the missions with personalized loadout, what a shame

you picture a military camp and there are supposed to be barracks or something, why nobody thought of creating a personal ammo chest where we would drop and STORE in there all the gear we loot?, i mean seriously

Edited by Lightningstrike

In response to Lightningstrike:

There is a cache and you return with the looted gear, the problem is that whether or not you can store the gear in the cache (I haven't tried), you certainly are not warned in advance that a mission will have a different default loadout.

@Chortles (& BIS)

This whole 'Rearm task' and equipment 'adjustment' is totally unnecessary and the rearming/equipment should be done in a completely different way. Since the Camp Maxwell has a limited number of ammo and equipment in those crates, it should be like that throughout the whole stay in that camp and we should have a total freedom to manage our equipment by either taking from what is available in the crates or using the looted gear we bring back after each mission that is being stored in a crate.

Apparently, this seems to be impossible to achieve, because from what i understand, the game and/or the campaign can't 'remember' the gear you bring to the camp and at every new mission start your gear is being reset at the mission creator's will.

That is very unfortunate for such a game, it has a lacking/missing feature of storing items and gear in a manner of a general 'pool'.

Why don't you give us a complete freedom to store and mange our gear throughout the campaign? (just like it is in Skyrim, where you can store all your weapons or anything you find inside chests and find it again anytime you need etc)

btw,

i have just completed this ... first episode of the 'campaign'.. quite disappointing.

there is no real plot, nearly not existent story writing, it is a simple assembly of quickly created missions here and there driven by a generic armed conflict, it is very far from the quality of the deep storyline immersion, interest and creativity OPFP1985 and ARMA&ARMA2 campaigns had ...

Edited by Lightningstrike

Might as well report the weapon "persistence" issues on the feedback tracker because the changelog for Thursday specifically solicited feedback on issues with said persistence.

Hmm, waitaminute... found this from off-forums:

Also, (second? mission spoilers) did anyone else grab Sgt Adam's rifle after he hit a mine? His gun has an RCO on it which I ended up continuously slapping onto my guns for the rest of the missions since it'd deposit it in the support box at the armory after every mission. It really came in handy. Otherwise I think I would've been stuck with ironsights or red-dots the whole time, and while those aren't bad, the RCO is definitely better.

And from someone else:

I grabbed an ABR as soon as I could in the first mission and used the RCO on basically everything until the last mission when I found a HAMR. It sucks that the ABR mags were so scarce because I would've just used that gun the entire campaign. I ended up grabbing a FN with a GL because I felt like I might burn through ammo and the MX seemed like a bad choice.

Edited by Chortles

@Chortles (& BIS)

This whole 'Rearm task' and equipment 'adjustment' is totally unnecessary and the rearming/equipment should be done in a completely different way. Since the Camp Maxwell has a limited number of ammo and equipment in those crates, it should be like that throughout the whole stay in that camp and we should have a total freedom to manage our equipment by either taking from what is available in the crates or using the looted gear we bring back after each mission that is being stored in a crate.

Apparently, this seems to be impossible to achieve, because from what i understand, the game and/or the campaign can't 'remember' the gear you bring to the camp and at every new mission start your gear is being reset at the mission creator's will.

That is very unfortunate for such a game, it has a lacking/missing feature of storing items and gear in a manner of a general 'pool'.

Why don't you give us a complete freedom to store and mange our gear throughout the campaign? (just like it is in Skyrim, where you can store all your weapons or anything you find inside chests and find it again anytime you need etc)

btw,

i have just completed this ... first episode of the 'campaign'.. quite disappointing.

there is no real plot, nearly not existent story writing, it is a simple assembly of quickly created missions here and there driven by a generic armed conflict, it is very far from the quality of the deep storyline immersion, interest and creativity OPFP1985 and ARMA&ARMA2 campaigns had ...

I hope you're kidding, because compared to the first campaign of OFP I'd say A3 is, while still WIP and therefor shorter, about equal. I don't know what you people have with that game, it's a lot like A3: various missions with a plot revolving around the overall situation rather than just the player. Jesus, you guys need to look at the two games for a minute instead of just playing A3, deciding you don't like it, and then expressing your hard-on for OFPCWC's campaign. And someone should knock you upside the head if you think A1 or 2's campaigns were better than this is so far.