Sign in to follow this  
Polygon

Official A3 campaign thread - discussion, wishlists & more

Hello there

No, i didnt get your joke and just find the undeserved anger towards DAYZ baffling by many if not yourself. I may be continuing the theme by giving an opposing view but I did not start the debate. Surely both sides are allowed their opinion?

Lastly, why should I not be so eager to state that I like Dayz? Its no different to liking any other mod be it ACE etc.

As to the campaign, I'd like to see as much dynamic content as possible and possibly the ability to carry over gear/vehicles as one could do in the Resistance campaign.

The beauty for many in the arma engine is the vast amount of possibilities and in the way no two games are identical. In creating dynamic possibilities in even a linear narrative would greatly increase the campaigns replayability.

Also, the persistence of gear (as in Resistance (even DAYZ :) ) really gave a feeling of connection to the character and his predicament. I felt Arma's campaign lost this although later A2 missions in its campaign touched on it having missions within missions al la Patrol Ops etc.

Just my two cents.

Rgds

LoK

Well, we really can't discuss much further, but it's just that DayZ brought in a community of people that think that DayZ made Arma 2 popular and successful (it was successful before that) and who believe that Arma 2 exists only for DayZ. Not all players, but definitely a good portion. And the hype over DayZ really only builds off of an overall hype for zombies in games created by games like Black Ops and BO2. We can discuss more in PM if you'd like.

That said, I think the showcases give an idea of how the campaign is going to be. Hopefully there's more to them than that though.

Hello there

I am looking forward to what the first part of the campaign will bring on the 31st although I am somewhat wary.

IMHO there's a vast amount of fun to be had in A3, but to me thats mainly possible with mods, I wonder if the vanilla campaign will have enough in it to keep folk occupied in the long run. Still, I suppose one can run it with mods if one chooses.

Replayability is something im hoping for.

Im looking forward to it but im keeping my expectations in check.

Lastly, Zoombies is nothing to do with the DAYZ team and is a bit of an "issue" within the community itself...

Rgds

LoK

Release date for "SURVIVE" is October 31st, player character is Cpl. Ben Kerry (3nd Squad, 2nd Platoon, Alpha Company, Task Force Aegis), the Scott Miller model appears as a seeming-NPC.

You kidding right? He was originally going to be the main character for Arma 3 but during E3 2012 they made him an NPC. Guess you just missed that, because that's really old news.

I said "seeming-NPC" because who's to say that it didn't change again? :p I did keep the E3 2012 change in mind though when I wrote that.

I really liked the first few missions of the A2 campaign, that nightly attack on the radio node in Pusta and the Manhattan mission. They had a great atmosphere but also left some space for Player's decisions. It would be really great if they could just capture this stuff and merge it with some basic OFP gameplay. And i'd really like some characters that you keep at least for a few missions and not just some random dudes that change seats after every scenario like in OA. In any case, i'm really looking forward to whatever magic BIS will deliver. :)

In any case, i'm really looking forward to whatever magic BIS will deliver. :)

Magic eh? I can dig that!!!!!

Couple of weeks and the magic will appear.

I'd like to see the player start off as a civilian, join the AAF, go through basic training, and fight off the invading NATO/CSAT forces (The side you want out of your country). That won't happen though because NATO is "good" and CSAT is "bad".

I wonder how many missions this 1st part will contain.

And I also wonder how many missions in total will the campaign contain.

BGTW, will they also add SP missions?

cause showcases ARE showcases - means these are missions created to SHOW something from ArmA 2 - like new light effects, diving etc...

but we don't have real SP mission like there were in other ArmA.

cause showcases ARE showcases - means these are missions created to SHOW something from ArmA 2 - like new light effects, diving etc...

but we don't have real SP mission like there were in other ArmA.

The A3 showcases look and feel the same as the SP missions from the other ArmAs, they have a single story and are long enough ( I could even see some showcases that copy the same scheme of the other ArmAs missions )

"To clarify a few things after the campaign release date announcement: it will be a singleplayer-only experience."

http://dev.arma3.com/sitrep-00030

That is a major failure for our clan, don't know if that may be the last straw.....short sighted of BIS is a very mild way of putting it! :(

"To clarify a few things after the campaign release date announcement: it will be a singleplayer-only experience."

That is a major failure for our clan, don't know if that may be the last straw.....short sighted of BIS is a very mild way of putting it! :(

I don't think so. As it is, MP always limits the freedom of storytelling. Some scenarios are simply not possible in MP (e.g. missions where the player is completely alone). Also you'd have to maintain the same squad(-size) throughout the whole campaign like in Harvest Red. You can do really great things in MP/COOP (even if i'm not a real multiplayer) but it's hard to create a whole coop campaign. Hope they release some cool COOP missions later though.

Also i'm kind of happy that they removed the campaign window in the main menu. Maybe they will fix that thing soon and i can finally publish more stuff. :)

Oh GOD damn it! I was really looking forward to having a co-op campaign. They better come up with one with their future DLC/expansions.

Very, very disappointing.

it's hard to create a whole coop campaign.
Which from what I've heard was exactly why they decided not to try again thistime around. TomHorn calls it short-sighted, I call it "recognizing their limitations... and that they wouldn't be allowed to risk slipping release date." (Hell, that's how I'm interpreting the reported data locks for both the September 12th release and the upcoming Survive update as impeding public release of certain tweaks lest they interfere with the SP content.)

Get your point guys....but aren't you looking at it the wrong way round?

There seems to be a pretty good demand/interest for the campaign to be played cooperatively with friends or clan mates, so why couldn't the storyline

and plot of the campaign be designed around the fact that it would be multiplayer?

Recognition of a suitable framework for the campaign to unfold within....not limitations.

Because the-powers-that-be had no interest in implementing a co-op campaign for Arma 3 to begin with, thereby preempting any attempt to design the storyline around co-op?

We need trailers for the trailer HEMTT.

hell yes! orrr trailer for the trailers trailer.

Because the-powers-that-be had no interest in implementing a co-op campaign for Arma 3 to begin with, thereby preempting any attempt to design the storyline around co-op?

Our campaign being single player only is not new information; it has been the case since Arma 3's reveal. Though, that's not to say it's the same campaign it was back then.

There were many reasons for us deciding to go single player only. However, I believe, and I'm sure my fellow campaign team members will agree, that the big reason was as follows: for all of their ambition, and for everything they got right, no one can deny that our previous multiplayer-compatible campaigns were at their most unstable in multiplayer upon their release. Even now, they are not without their flaws. Having to develop the campaign for both a multiplayer and single player environment is a massive undertaking. While I believe the multiplayer element did add something to each campaign's experience - it was originally how I first finished Harvest Red, though I would hardly have called it smooth - the positives did not outweigh the negatives. Their state was, in many ways, unacceptable. We're a small team, comparatively speaking, and we wanted to do better. We had to face the fact that we could not do so if we wanted to go both single player and multiplayer.

On a more personal level, I, for one, am glad we went with the single player approach. That's where my heart has always been with Arma (and, especially, OFP before it). I believe the campaign has benefited significantly from the choice and I am proud of what we have accomplished. And, hey, you'll be able to judge for yourselves soon enough. :)

Hi Zipper.

A few questions about the campaign:

How many missions will Survive contain and will there be the same number in each part of the campaign?

If not, how many missions in the end will the campaign have?

Something like OFP (40)? Or Harvest Red (7 or 8)?

BTW, will there be new SP missions along with the first DLC?

Thanks for answering.

Hi Zipper.

A few questions about the campaign:

How many missions will Survive contain and will there be the same number in each part of the campaign?

If not, how many missions in the end will the campaign have?

Something like OFP (40)? Or Harvest Red (7 or 8)?

BTW, will there be new SP missions along with the first DLC?

Thanks for answering.

You'll probably have to wait for some of those answers, if not all of those answers... Some of them might be answered on the 31st October!

First I want to say that I realy respect Bohemian for the fact that they choose to delay the campain instead of rushing out a crappy campain like EA did with BF3. Secund, I would like to have the option to play the campain as a co-op mission. 2 to 4 guys would be great.

First I want to say that I realy respect Bohemian for the fact that they choose to delay the campain instead of rushing out a crappy campain like EA did with BF3. Secund, I would like to have the option to play the campain as a co-op mission. 2 to 4 guys would be great.
... I guess you missed the dev's post earlier on this very page about no co-op option?

yeap, at 15 pages I thread you can imagine that I don't read any earlier post. Anyway I am still very anxious to plai the campain. :)

yeap, at 15 pages I thread you can imagine that I don't read any earlier post. Anyway I am still very anxious to plai the campain. :)

ok, so you can't read 3 posts above...

Our campaign being single player only is not new information