Sign in to follow this  
entspeak

Different 3rd person camera control

Unlike in Arma, the 3rd person camera control in TKOM is really awkward to use, in my opinion. It seems that mouse position only serves to accelerate/decelerate rotation around the rover. This is very hard to control... I usually end up having to jerk it around constantly in order to maintain a particular view. It would be better, I think to use the Arma 3rd person camera control which is more precise. This will make it easier to see how the rover actually operates in 3rd person and examine damage.

There's an option to disable movement smoothing for the free camera, but not the third person camera. Ideally there's an option for both I'd say.

I wasn't really referring to the movement smoothing... basically, the 3rd person view is an orbiting camera and the mouse dictates the direction and speed of the orbit - the farther the mouse is moved to the left, for example, the faster it will orbit around the rover to the left... the only way to stop it is to move the mouse back to the position it was in when you chose that view or deactivated the cursor. And if you activate the cursor, the camera will stop, but not immediately. So, you end up dancing the camera around in order to look at something specific - it's a bit jerky. It's not like in Arma where it moves the same way in 3rd person as it does in 1st. My opinion is that it should work like it does in Arma... it's much easier to control.

Edited by entspeak

Well, it's referred to as movement smoothing in the settings but it disables the behavior that you describe, albeit only in the free camera.

Ah... just played the latest build and they've changed it. It no longer operates the way it did when I made the OP. Now the all the cameras operate on the same principle - though, you're right... you can't disable smoothing on the 3rd person view. I'm just glad they changed it. It used to be so much harder to control.