Sign in to follow this  
tupolov

Stealth Takedown, Weapon Resting and more...

Practice! I wanted a quick project to flex my coding skills and video editing.

Tup

Outstanding achievement in both!!!

Except i think the music score was not up to scratch with your last effort?? :p:p:p:p

On a serious note top quality buddy!!

Well I thought the SMK guys ended up working for BIS on the new stances, shame they didn't take it further as their mod was amazing.

Smookie is, indeed. Reezo (who did a lot of scripting for it, as I remember) is working in an ArmA-unrelated-business and has barely no time to even look at ArmA.

I think one of the main points here is that this took about a day to put together. I'm sure it would require a few days of a devs time to implement basic features like this properly. Considering these features are at the top or near the top of the tracker, you'd think they would put them in as a "fit and finish" type thing. These are quick wins for BIS that keep the community happy :) Working on this, I've realised how time consuming their animation system is!

It sure is, but you did an awesome job and since BI Devs are even responding here and support, I'm sure they took some notes ;) BI can be happy to have such an awesome Community. In time of arcade, console, DLCs and DRM, communities like these have grown rare.

Unfortunately, as it is every day of an Arma 3 dev's time is precious, which is probably the biggest reason why this isn't "integral", to say nothing of a dev or two alluding/pointing out that they can't just 1:1 use your solutions, as cool as they look visually...

when do the bayonet's come?

I believe that a certain modder is working on this, so I won't include in my addon. :)

Hopefully he won't kill me for this..

kcaUzl5.jpg

Edited by Tupolov

Yes that pic has a lot of people wet ;)

Fix Bayonets!

Hoping we get a good community effort to bring you guys melee with knives, gun stocks, bayonets and fists along with stealth takedown.

Regardless, its VERY difficult to get close to enemy AI in Arma 3, so you are looking at 'niche' scenarios.

Ok, now available on the first post... ;)

Edited by Tupolov

You're truly a sneaky one.

Edit:

I love this, Tupolov. Thank you! Is there no damage on a non-weapon holding melee hit? In addition there doesnt seem to be a 'hit' animation when I punch someone. Also, is there a pistol whip animation you could use for melee with a pistol?

Little changes I'd make, if I may suggest:

• Increase the left/right range when on the bipod/resting. Would 45 degree's left and right of where you initially setup be too much? It definitely feels at least too limited currently.
  • Swap the stealth take down and weapon rest/bipod keys. It seems like the resting/bipod will see more usage and it's ergonomically easier to hit the space bar than LWIN.
  • Change the auto-cover key to SHIFT+CTRL. I found myself sprinting to cover objects and auto covering when I didnt intend do; I was also having issues changing stances while moving/sprinting.

Edited by SpectreRSG

Is there no damage on a non-weapon holding melee hit?

Damage should occur when punching someone, although it isn't as damaging as hitting them with a weapon. You need to punch them a lot to really hurt them.

In addition there doesnt seem to be a 'hit' animation when I punch someone. Also, is there a pistol whip animation you could use for melee with a pistol?

To land a punch you need to ensure the cursor is on the target, otherwise you miss. The AI should react to a punch (as seen in the video). There is no pistol whip anim, any animators out there to contribute?

• Increase the left/right range when on the bipod/resting. Would 45 degree's left and right of where you initially setup be too much? It definitely feels at least too limited currently.
  • Swap the stealth take down and weapon rest/bipod keys. It seems like the resting/bipod will see more usage and it's ergonomically easier to hit the space bar than LWIN.
  • Change the auto-cover key to SHIFT+CTRL. I found myself sprinting to cover objects and auto covering when I didnt intend do; I was also having issues changing stances while moving/sprinting.

If there's consensus on this then I'll update. I'd like to be able to allow custom key binding, but not sure how to do that atm.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you found it ok ;)

You're truly a sneaky one.

Edit:

I love this, Tupolov. Thank you! Is there no damage on a non-weapon holding melee hit? In addition there doesnt seem to be a 'hit' animation when I punch someone. Also, is there a pistol whip animation you could use for melee with a pistol?

Awesome idea

Also when using BTC revive...

When you stealth kill another player, the BTC sets you back into default loadout. In addition, once you stealth kill another player, and he is revived he no longer has the function to stealth kill. Is there anything that you scripted that would clear loadouts (99% sure it's a BTC loadout issue; would it be possible to touch base with BTC and see what the issue is?)

I don't script anything that would impact BTC revive.

I have included a variable that defines if stealth takedown has occurred already. TBH I didn't think of PVP. I can change this.

Keep up the feedback and I'll change it once there's a set of requests

- Unable to rest weapon on the ground when prone. Isn't that... a natural spot to rest a weapon?

for weapons with a bipod yes. I guess for those without you don't get the additional reduced weapon sway etc when just resting on the ground, you are already getting the benefits of the prone position anyway.

Damage should occur when punching someone, although it isn't as damaging as hitting them with a weapon. You need to punch them a lot to really hurt them.

Allow me to share my experience related to this 'Tupolov melee-punch'. Though not shown in the video, several

es and
attacks could even knock zeds dead. This is so much fun. Thank you very much for sharing your addon, Sir! Keep up the good work. ;)

Tupolov, this is really looking great.

A few of these would look great for takedowns, and a lot of them are taught to special forces (like krav maga for Israeli soldiers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwFwtVH1zjU

The difficult part might be having the receivingunit tuck in close the player.

what are you using for creating your anims and getting them into O2? The punch looks great. Did you mocap it somehow?

Currently on a fact finding mission, before I finally get into trying to make my own anims.

I haven't created any anims ;) they are stock A2 ones!

If anyone can create anims, please let me know...

I still thing resting prone w/unbipod weapons should be possible. You're using your elbows to rest. But thats IMHO. Would it be possible to allow people to define their own keys? I think thats a great idea you mentioned earlier Tupo. Custom Action 12-16 so it doesnt conflict with that moving while switching weapons mod (he uses 17, 18)

Tupolov, is it possible to include the binoc's, laser desig's, and range finders to work to function with your weapon resting?

Spec,

That's a good idea. The issue we have at the moment is that the stance modifiers only work with rifle or pistol :( I pointed this out to BIS and they said they were too busy to provide stance modification for Binocs etc. They said it wouldn't be used by anyone. See here (http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=11952) Not that we need stance modifiers particularly, but would be good to be able to adjust your stance to rest the binocs on the nearest object. /rant

But, yes we can do it - I'll add it to the list of things to do!

Latest update from me...

1. I looked into the custom actions - basically it doesn't really work well with other mods... I'll look at switching the controls. I personally found that the stealth button needs to be a "thumb" operated key as you are usually doing Turbo+W and then hitting the stealth key.

2. I have a "borrowed" knife takedown animation and victim animation in game. Just need to get permission to use it.

3. I have a bayonet in game along with a "borrowed" stabbing anim. Again need to get permission.

4. Have upgraded sound effects for punches, stabs and knife takedown, hits and victim reaction

5. Hoping to get a bayonet model from a modder soon..

Edited by Tupolov

Tup, the only key I'm having issue with, personally, is the weapon resting. I implore you to set it to Shift + Space. I can live with the other small issues.

Also, there should be some sort of resting for the weapon while prone. It shouldn't be deployable unless its a bipod, but if you can override the standard BIS prone sway, it needs to happen. Furthermore, I got reports from members that when prone with a deployed bipod, at range, there's extremely strange jitter in the scope (they described it as 'fighting with the scope sway').