Sign in to follow this  
tupolov

Stealth Takedown, Weapon Resting and more...

WIP Advanced Combat Ability

Features:

- Weapon Resting

- Bipods

- Melee

- Duck to cover

- Stealth Takedown

- Bayonet and bayonet attack (coming soon)

Thanks to VTS and ACE for the inspiration.

THIS ADDON INCLUDES 11 ANIMATIONS CREDITED TO BIS AND FEATURED IN ARMA 2. Credits to BIS for these animations featuring in this addon. These RTM files are licensed work of BIS. I have asked permission to include these in this addon. Please do not redistribute.

To Do:

- Smooth "fast" animation switching for duck to cover (animation config)

- Smooth switching between standard anims and melee animations (config and playMove use)

- Bipod animations (animation creation and config)

- Recoil and weapon sway tweaking (config)

- Adjust key bindings to suit

- Module to enable/disable Stealth Takedown

- Weapon Resting for Binocs etc

EDIT: Now available... here

If anyone can help with animations (creation of, or config) please let me know. Specifically, looking for someone who has experience getting animations setup for smooth transition between A3 anims and custom (i.e. connectTo, connectFrom config entries etc). Creation of custom animations would be awesome.

Edited by Tupolov
updated to dos

Looks fantastic Tupolov, and obviously a lot of work has gone into it. Mind if I ask why you've gone to all the trouble of making a wonderful video showcasing all the features of the mod if you aren't even sure about releasing it?

Practice! I wanted a quick project to flex my coding skills and video editing. I chose something that had a lot of requests on the feedback tracker to see how easy some of these requests are to fulfil.

I took a look at the VTS weapon resting and at how ACE2 does weapon resting. I basically took the good bits from both and merged them. VTS didn't reduce the weapon sway and ACE has an antiquated way of doing object detection. I've offered for this code to go back into VTS and ACE2/3. So those guys have first dibs.

The melee/stealth stuff is based loosely on the old ACE/CSE knockdown feature. The animations are not available in A3, so I have had to config them in. Still learning that bit, but it seems ok atm, just some funky transitions between anims.

Duck to cover is something that should just be in game tbh. Again, this utilizes some awesome object detection code by VTS. So props to L'Etranger for that.

Anyways, may well release as is and let VTS/ACE/TMR use it for their own purposes.

Cheers

Tup

Well I can guarantee if you released it you'd have one customer - me!

Holy fuck, this is AMAZING! Especially seeing the melee with a real animation :D Epic work!

Looks good mate - I'd definitely try it out. The rifle melee looks pretty good - nice work on the config!

As always so impressed at what guys in the community are capable of

cheers

Duck to cover is something that should just be in game tbh.
Puh-lease, if they had made this default then you'd have just seen a forums uproar over supposed "sticky cover"... cool stuff that you've done here though.

Nice work, you think theres anyway to make the 'duck to cover' feature smoother and less teleporty?

Features:

- Weapon Resting

- Bipods

- Melee

- Duck to cover

- Stealth Takedown

Not sure if i'm going to release this... seems there is a spate of addons doing similar now.

there may be a spate of others out there

but yours wins hands down an allinone package

in my mind less compatability errors between mods/addons

keep up the good work and I do hope you release this

Puh-lease, if they had made this default then you'd have just seen a forums uproar over supposed "sticky cover"... cool stuff that you've done here though.

I think it's more applicable now with the different stances, in RL you'd pretty much just get down without faffing around, although I'm sure the hardcore out there will cry it smacks of CoD.

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Nice work, you think theres anyway to make the 'duck to cover' feature smoother and less teleporty?

Yes, I'm still learning about the animation system. I've had issues with playMove which would make it smoother, so using switchMove for now.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

there may be a spate of others out there

but yours wins hands down an allinone package

in my mind less compatability errors between mods/addons

keep up the good work and I do hope you release this

My hope is maybe we can combine forces on this one and contribute it back into ACE3 too.

I'll take a look at TMR and Bad Benson's and probably suggest a combo of all the good bits if they are up for it. We shall see.

Awesome!

Dont tease us and leave us ;) I'm not the big fan of the duck to cover, but IMO a System like Smookie & Reezo made for A2 in SMK would be awesome (Leaning on Walls, shooting left and right from them, rolling grenades and all that kind of stuff). Otherwise it's awesome, even though its still Wip!! :)

Well I thought the SMK guys ended up working for BIS on the new stances, shame they didn't take it further as their mod was amazing.

I think one of the main points here is that this took about a day to put together. I'm sure it would require a few days of a devs time to implement basic features like this properly. Considering these features are at the top or near the top of the tracker, you'd think they would put them in as a "fit and finish" type thing. These are quick wins for BIS that keep the community happy :)

Working on this, I've realised how time consuming their animation system is!

More than a few days, unfortunately :b:

Mod looks awesome, btw. Loving the hollywood-ish punch :D . Anyway, I don't know what issues you have with playMove, but maybe try using playMoveNow instead?

Man, that is some dope ass additions to the core game. I hope you continue working on this in the future, be it as a standalone thing or to see it implemented in something like ACE 3.

very nicely done btw.

More than a few days, unfortunately :b:

Mod looks awesome, btw. Loving the hollywood-ish punch :D . Anyway, I don't know what issues you have with playMove, but maybe try using playMoveNow instead?

Yes, apologies, I'm sure it does require more time to make it production quality! Its not rocket science though to do this stuff :) . playMove wouldn't play my anims, assuming that is possibly due to connectTo/connectFrom/interpolateTo etc settings for my anims? Will try playMoveNow. First time playing around with anims....

Personally, I wasn't sure of melee/takedown, as its damn difficult to get near enemy AI. Unless you have an obstacle between you and them, its impossible to sneak up behind them. Won't be used as much as the Splinter Cell fans would have hoped! ;) And I need a better anim - does BIS have a stock throat slitting anim at all? anyone?

I took a look at TMRs auto-rest/bipod, very very nice code, although it does seem a bit perf heavy. He does pretty much the same stuff as me - weapon sway reduction through anim configs, recoil reduction, object intersection checking for player's weapon/position, bipod config. Although he has nice icons and realistic sounds :)

VTS doesn't have the reduced weapon sway, but they have nice object detection code.

Bad Benson has melee, but not weapon resting (although I hear it may do :) at a later date).

Edited by Tupolov

Nice work mate. Surprised nobody has mentioned the B word yet... :D

Are you developing these features modularly (i.e players, server admins or even mission editors can pick which features are active - either by choosing which PBOs to install, or by placing modules in the editor) or is it currently more of an all-in-one "Total Conversion" type deal?

Nice work mate. Surprised nobody has mentioned the B word yet... :D

Are you developing these features modularly (i.e players, server admins or even mission editors can pick which features are active - either by choosing which PBOs to install, or by placing modules in the editor) or is it currently more of an all-in-one "Total Conversion" type deal?

Client side addons. Each feature is a pbo. No editor logics.

They are just experimental pbos at this point. They are not features of ALiVE (a mod from the MSO team) - but might be included at some point.

After experiencing the animation system in Arma, I'm leaning towards handing this over to someone else.

Cheers

Tup

Just updated first post with...

To Do:

- Smooth "fast" animation switching for duck to cover (animation config)

- Custom animation for takedown (animation creation and config)

- Custom animation for takedown death (animation creation and config)

- Smooth switching between standard anims and melee animations (config and playMove use)

- Bipod animations (animation creation and config)

- Recoil and weapon sway tweaking (config)

EDIT: Will release this if I can get help with the above to-dos. If anyone can help with animations (creation of, or config) please let me know. Specifically, looking for someone who has experience getting animations setup for smooth transition between A3 anims and custom (i.e. connectTo, connectFrom config entries etc). Creation of "takedown" animation and "takedown death" animation would be awesome.

Music gave me goosebumps -what was that? Looks great, especially that duck to cover! I hate to ask but is there anyway on God's green earth you could get the AI to do that :jesus:

Music gave me goosebumps -what was that? Looks great, especially that duck to cover! I hate to ask but is there anyway on God's green earth you could get the AI to do that :jesus:

Many people have asked. They are the awesome Two Steps from Hell, tracks are Fortress of Seduction, Return to Darkness and Heart of Courage.