Sign in to follow this  
MatTheCat

Is STEAM mandadatory for ARMA III ?

Simple one, I suspect I know the answer to this, but is STEAM mandatory in order to play the full release of ARMA III?

If it is, then I am afraid I cant possibly bring myself to buy ARMA III as I am through with that scummy pos drm for good.

This would be a shame as I have been awesome'd out by ARMA III for months and I don't like the direction in which EA seem to be taking the BF series.

That is all.

Simple one, I suspect I know the answer to this, but is STEAM mandatory in order to play the full release of ARMA III?

If it is, then I am afraid I cant possibly bring myself to buy ARMA III as I am through with that scummy pos drm for good.

This would be a shame as I have been awesome'd out by ARMA III for months and I don't like the direction in which EA seem to be taking the BF series.

That is all.

Yes, Steam is mandatory, even If you buy It from the BIS Store, you'll get a key to activate it on steam.

Personally I like steam, you can change from stable to development build in a few clicks, interact with the community easily.

Yep, so no awesomness for you :<

Nope, I guess not.

BF4 should still be decent enough though.

The Steam requirement was announced as far back as February, and that there were no plans for a non-Steam version.

You can expect an Origin requirement on BF4 as well... so in essence, Steam DRM vs. EA DRM.

Without arguing over Steam versus Origin, i.e. reputed spying aside, I'll simply say "if you were going to refuse Arma 3 over DRM, then no way will BF4 be any better in that respect."

Man I don't get the hate against steam. Arma 2 used CD keys but I don't hear anyone complaining about "rah rah rah I'm not going to play arma 2 it has drm".

The benefits of using steam far outweigh the cons.

Your loss on missing out on a great game.

It seems more like a stand against DRM, period, but see above: BF4 ain't the better option on that front (wow I am really repeating myself here aren't I).

The STEAM requirement was announced as far back as February, and that there were no plans for a non-STEAM version.

You can expect an Origin requirement on BF4 as well... so in essence, Steam DRM vs. EA DRM.

Once a game is activated on ORIGIN, it can be played forever after without the need for an internet connection.

STEAM makes out as though this is also the case, but in reality, you get like 48 hours before the STEAM client wants to reconnect with the server. Perhaps for a game like ARMA III that I would only ever play with an internet connection at hand anyways, I could make an exception regarding STEAM.....but out of the general principle, I won't buy another STEAM game as long as I am still gaming on PC. There is no need for any of this middle man DRM bs anyway. Online games were a huge success without it in the past and they don't need it now. The pros quite simply do not outweigh the cons.

Confirmed multiple times in multiple places, discussed multiple times in multiple places, if you wish to add your own voice to the merits (or demerits) of Steam you're more than welcome to do so here.