Sign in to follow this  
bigpickle

SpeedOfSound Mod (Beta)

Hi All,

Having had a technical hiccup I'm please to say that SpeedOfSound Mod is back in development, BigTime!

I have a brand new coder, a guy who I've known for a while now who has quite a tireless attitude towards coding conundrums! He's been at it everyday for nearly a week on this and it shows. Bravo mate!

As ever I recommend highest video quality and headphones!

*New Video*

Finally been able through my scriptwriter to create something closer to the weapons atmosphere that i want.

3rd, 1st And close soundscapes for hand held weapons, vehicles would be there too but BIS made some weird occlusion with vehicles that i don't understand.

13/10/13

http://youtu.be/6YABkBgJDQ8

09/10/13

http://youtu.be/cKnnSZ4twqc

http://youtu.be/e3vdfOY_4Hs

Now to the bare bones facts.

This demonstration is currently fully operable in SP, but only partially in MP.

As it stands the information the event handlers require to make this possible is only being partially transmitted, most work as normal but there are some that don't return any information, its this crucial loss of information is what makes this dream only partially realized. With that in mind, the earlier announced beta isn't going to happen sadly until we know exactly where we stand with developing this code.

This is the link for the issue on the bug tracker:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12340

Whether this is a bug, or by design ie needing a feature request I cannot say unfortunately so i posted it as a bug.

So I'm humbly requesting the help of you the community to help bring this to the attention of the BIS Development team using the link above, The video demonstrates how this could help change the future sound modding for the better.

Cheers and I hope you enjoyed the video!

Edited by Bigpickle

Sounds awesome! Although to me it sounds like the explosions at 100m are not loud/distinct enough and the explosions at 2km are too distinct. Just my 2 cents.

Sounds awesome! Although to me it sounds like the explosions at 100m are not loud/distinct enough and the explosions at 2km are too distinct. Just my 2 cents.

Agree'd tbh, will look into the levels.

Edited by Bigpickle

Sounds great and I certainly hope that we can play with that kind of sounds in the future. The gaming experience rise to another level.

:)

hey, nice your back man! I dissgree about 1km explosions, open field, nothing between the listener and sound source, so it should be quite abile at that distance. Even some gun shots, can be audible at 1km distances. But i agree, that 100m explosions, were barely hearable, especially the HE splashes, barely or not audioble at all. Lovely chopper distank sounds. I have a hospital about 1km away from my hose, can hear them nearly everyday flyby, sounds quite familiar to me :)

Awesome mod, really looking forward to this whenever it releases.

Sounds great. I agree with mahon 100m should be quite a bit louder. Other than that cant wait till the release!!! :)

The sound of the explosions is superb, only the sound of a flying rocket disturb me. Don't think that you can hear it further away than 250m.

So I'm humbly requesting the help of you the community to help bring this to the attention of the BIS Development team using the link above, The video demonstrates how this could help change the future sound modding for the better.

Cheers and I hope you enjoyed the video!

Consider my vote added and indeed enjoyed the video, mate. Really impressive stuff! :)

great work so far! I really can hear the progress in this last video.

Will sound occlusion work with your mod?

Outstanding job. Can't wait to replace the crappy sounds that Arma 3 offers.

One question: are these sounds built with 7.1 surrounds in mind?

Outstanding job. Can't wait to replace the crappy sounds that Arma 3 offers.

One question: are these sounds built with 7.1 surrounds in mind?

I use a 5.1 system but Arma is only stereo.

I think I have to agree that the sounds at 100m need to be more distinct, but colour me impressed.

Cant wait for this. This is badly needed for the game and by the sound of it, this may be the most advanced sound mod in Arma 3 to date. JSRS was good but this sounds like less hacks were needed. I am hopeful we will see something in the weekly WIP report at armaholic.com.

I too am for changing the 100m sounds to be a bit louder and more echo/deep bass-y sounds at distances.

Hey Bigpickle, I need advise for my sound mod... I can't figure out what file format and settings I need to use to convert to wss. Nothing seems to work in the game, any suggestions?!? :confused:

Wav, Mono, 16bit, 44100mhz then convert to wss. Saves space and quality is ok. Don't use stereo or you'll get both L&R channels for the direction of the object and then you'll not be able to tell the direction its coming from, stay mono and the game will make the audio positional.

Best Of luck buddy!

@ All,

I've updated first post with a quick WIP video of vehicle audio.

Edited by Bigpickle