lynx75

GID - Object Positioning System

Here is a new version with a little correction wich convert position to string with high precision.

Now a translation of 1 milimiter will be recorded.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dssk6wnjv1nkayx/object_positioning_system_v1_3.rar

Changelog

V1.3

Changed : conversion of position to string with high precision (5DM)

Thanks to Killzone_Kid for giving the tips

First post updated

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Edited by Guest
mirror updated with newest version

Hi, the previous version didn't convert ATL altidude to string correctly.

This should be the final version

Thanks to all users who give me with their feedback.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6ycx1b9h7bje40v/object_positioning_system_v1_31.rar

Change log

V1.31

Fix the float to string altitude conversion for ATL coordinates

Hi guys, i have problem when i try to load mission i get file File is read only, and i set all my profile as read/write? Any help? And sorry for stupid question :/

It would be great and much much easyer if you culd make filter for stuff. Like lamps, small houses, big houses, etc. And big problem is when you try to move camera you switch actual object in object list and that is very bad and time killer!

When I use pitch to flip wall so I can make floor and i go down my object goes up in the air.

1. My camera gets somtimes bugged and it slowly moves foward all time. ---> To stop that just open map!

2. Can you explain how can i emplement GID with 2D. And for exemple what if I am using objects addon how can I make passable for others to see objects that they dont have? They need to download it or? And is it passable to script some of objects? It will be very usefull if you culd provide some answers :)

And this script are AWESOME!!!

Edited by duzda
More Feedback

Hi duzda,

there is some interference problem with the camera and the object list. To avoid it, be sure to click near the middle cross before moving the camera and try to move it only with the mouse and not the keyboard.

The object list is your CfgVehicle exploration with scope > 0. The script doesn't filter with tag like lamps, small houses etc ... because it will take time to display dynamically this lists. I want to keep the entire script light (only one .sqf), because its not an heavy tool and will be not. The purpose of OPS is to provide an efficent and quick way to enhance your mission with precise placement or to grab precise coordinates for others scripts stuff. The OPS will not be a complete 3D editing system, its just a little tool. The script becomes is powerfull when you know scripting.

For example, in my mission there is nothing in the 2D editor, only the slot. All the mission is designed with scripts.

The pitch/bank rotation has some limitation. Maybe i will work on it in the futur, for the moment use it only for small increment.

If you need to flipback an object, use the command setVectorUp [0,0,-1] or the setVectorDirAndUp command.

If you use addons, like me, there isn't problem to access to your object through the OPS because its a config exploration (the objects list is not hard coded). If others players doesn't have your addon they will not see the addons objects and they will have a "non entry bin config " error. How they can access to the object config and p3d if they dont have the data ? All players should have the same addons collection (only client side mod can be different).

Some tips : dont forget to press alt after pasting code, use the disableSimulation option to save ressource, especially for multiplayer missions, use the reset normal surface, reset horizontality and reset ground level when you need.

Thanks for your feedback

Edited by Lynx75

Ok, so there is no way that I can export to 2D editor and be able to see in in actual 2D editor?

Can you make video how you make the missions? (Simple one with static mg.s cupple solders on top new houses that you place it, because I am having some hard time to make mission after maping objects in .sqf)

And how you place static mg.s and soldiers like guards, patrols? Without 2D editor or MCC?

Sorry for stupid questions but I have spent about 30h remaking castle so I want to finish it, I mean make mission with it. Maybe even campaign.

Hi

Is it possible to add an script code like "this AllowDamage False;" to an object which is setted with the 3D editor ?

I would really need that and if its not possible can you maybe add it ?

bla

bla

lba

_init = "this AllowDamage False";

Can you publish one of your custom mission where did you use custom placement and all that so I can open in c++ and try figure out pls.

Hi, sorry for late answer.

@SynterGames: you can customize your copied code by adding .

_object allowDamage false;

@duzda: i pm you, i will refactor the tool in the future and make a video tutorial to populate buildings and add static weapons, patrols etc ... this is scripting knowledge

@Vasilyevich: Remember that its not a 3D Editor and the tool will not implement all 3D editor features. If you you want to spawn AI you have to use scripting technics and use the tool to get precise coordinates.

The idea of the tool is more a "code generator" than a "sqm generator".

Thanks for your feedback

Thanks for the work, is very impressive

It would be possible to use this script during a coop in progress? as if it were a construction tool.

First off want to say thanks for making this editor, its improved my potential map making immensely unfortunately i have an issue.

When im placing objects and adjusting pitch/bank and elevation to match terrain i then copy and paste the codes into the script file but when i reload the mission to test the objects are there but haven't saved the pitch/bank changes i have made.

Anyone able to help? thanks

EDIT: Fixed the issue, thanks

Edited by MightyLAD
Fixed the problem.

Hi MightyLad, thanks for your feedback.

you have to set the record option. By default its ATL cordinates, select ATL, dir, pitch and Bank and copy your code.

But if you just want to match the terrain, dont use pitch/bank rotation, this is for custom tweek.

You have a combo box with the option "surface normal", this will automatically set the objet orientation to match the terrain, then save it using "ATL, dir, pitch and bank" option.

You have the "disable simulation" option, which is very powerfull for performance and usefull to create little objects compositions.

Remember that this is a first version with some problems. I will rework the entire tool to make it more powerfull and userfriendly.

Thanks

Hi Lynx75!

Let me thank you for the epic tool that u made.

In this way me and a friend of mine are able to make very big constructions all over altis and so much accurately.

The only problem we encountered is that the "Copy Object" does not work correctly in multiplayer. I'll explain:

Running the mission in multiplayer while i'm the host i can "Copy" and then "Paste" the code everywhere i need, but when my buddy which is not the host but only the client press "Copy Object" shows the message of the copy but he can't paste the code. Same thing using the "Copy to RPT" button. :(

I also tried on a dedicated server and the problem is still showing up. I think it's a "global variable" problem but i'm not a scripter and in fact i have no idea :P :P

The error in the rpt while tryng to copy from a dedicated server:

Client: Remote object 2:79 not found

Hi guys, i have problem when i try to load mission i get file File is read only, and i set all my profile as read/write? Any help? And sorry for stupid question :/

It would be great and much much easyer if you culd make filter for stuff. Like lamps, small houses, big houses, etc. And big problem is when you try to move camera you switch actual object in object list and that is very bad and time killer!

When I use pitch to flip wall so I can make floor and i go down my object goes up in the air.

1. My camera gets somtimes bugged and it slowly moves foward all time. ---> To stop that just open map!

2. Can you explain how can i emplement GID with 2D. And for exemple what if I am using objects addon how can I make passable for others to see objects that they dont have? They need to download it or? And is it passable to script some of objects? It will be very usefull if you culd provide some answers :)

And this script are AWESOME!!!

What I discovered is you can do two things:

1. Position your NPCs and other items on the map first and then place the objects around them using GDI. That way you can script in whatever you need using 2D editor.

2. Place objects using GDI and just write the coordinates down and then use the 2D editor to figure out their placement.

I've done both and #1 is obviously the easier/better way of doing it but sometimes #2 is needed for fine tune adjustments. It would be great if GDI somehow hooked into the 2D editor so we could see the buildings we put in but even with this limitation, it is fantastic!

Curious, how can I make an object indestructible in GID?

Edit: nevermind, figured it out.

Edited by 5150Joker

Late to the party but this sounds like a great tool, look forward to trying her out thanks!

Just wanna say thanks again Lynx for this, still any plans to update the tool? still get some bugs with the camera like it being stuck going forward or right click making it rotate etc.

#1 Tool for Level Editors

Yes it is possible :)

Many thanks for your ingenuity. We currently use it on our Dedicated Server in our BOMSF Thor Task Management System for enhancing our current tasks. The primary item in our wish list would be to be able to filter the Land_ items a bit better and to disable the camera move while moving the selection-slider for objects.

Other than those minor wishes, it is certainly a great tool and very useful for both ingame construction and its original intent in the editor. Thanks again.

Is it possible to use a re-spawn script for vehicles through the sqf ?

I have tried and it worked

_object allowDamage false;

But when I try to execute

//f-18_1
_pos = [14228.0078125,16305.0800781,0.00465202];
_object = createVehicle ["JS_JC_FA18E", _pos, [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
_object setDir 144.741;
_object setPosATL _pos;
_nul = [this, 2, 1, {}] execVM "vehrespawn.sqf"; 

It wont work,, I also did not expect it to. I have the feeling the problem is right here ?

_nul = [this

?

Can someone help point me in the right way please.

It wont work,, I also did not expect it to. I have the feeling the problem is right here ?

_nul = [this

?

Yep, the problem is that you are pointing to "this" and in your script there is no objects called "this". You must try this instead:

_nul = [_object, 2, 1, {}] execVM "vehrespawn.sqf";

Yep, the problem is that you are pointing to "this" and in your script there is no objects called "this". You must try this instead:

_nul = [_object, 2, 1, {}] execVM "vehrespawn.sqf";

Ya,, I got some help in the proper forum, thank you tho..

Hi,

First of all congrats for this fantastic tool, it allows me to build some structures I would have been unable to make without it.:)

One thing I would love to do is be abble to have sub-menu that would allow to chose the "type" of objects (cargo, military ...) so it would be easier to find them, because there is a pretty long list of objects (especially if you use addons). Maybe someday when I'll be better at scripting, I'll come back to this thread to ask you permission to modify the code in order to do this. Got a lot to learn untill I can do that though.

You've right, the classname list should be better sorted. I will release a upgraded version with a better gui.

Thanks for using it.