lynx75

GID - Object Positioning System

... wow...

just discovered your tool and played around with it.

That is, what i was searching for a long time. Really awesome work !!!

Thanks for that,

Fred41

BTW: Maybe the current workflow could be accelerated, by the additional ability, to append object data automatically to a specified file (using callextension). Just an idea :)

Edited by Fred41

Incredibly useful! I just have one request, if you could update the script to include static weapons, I think thats the only thing missing from the list of placeable objects.

Thanks Fred41 and Ominus for your feedback.

I will take into account your remarks.

For now i'm working on a mod project, so i dont have too much time for improving the tool.

But i notice that the LxOPS could be better than it is (maybe use callExtension feature)

I have planned the next release in two or three weeks.

Edited by Lynx75

when u say make an empty script what exactly does that mean when i try to use this it sayes "no script RecruitMenu.sqf not found

Hi foreverdead, as explain in the previously post. The script provides means to copy/past the code required to spawn object in your misssion. So you need some empty scripts to paste the code you need. You call them when you want (mission init or after). Its important to understand that the tool is just a tool for mission designer. When the mission is finished, the tool is removed from the mission.

This post explain how to use it.

This tool is awesome and it has been very useful to create a custom military base, but I've a big problem to make the mission work correctly with other players.

When I play alone, the mission works well, but when I host a game (or putting the pbo in our server), all buildings and objects are duplicated. For example, the buildings have 3,4,5 or more doors... (the bug occurs already starting with two players)

Did I do something wrong? What?... or It's a common issue?

Is it possible solve in some manner?

Hi, your problem is the locality. When you execute a script you always have to think about the locality.

The script which spawn the buildings has to be executed on server side only. Not for all players.

Example :

in the init.sqf of the mission, my script for spawning the base is called initAllBuildings.sqf

if (isServer) then {
  call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "initAllBuildings.sqf";
};

Thanks for using this tool, i talk about a next release with some features but for now i'm working on a mod.

I will improve the tool in the future, maybe IA positionning, its planned but i dont know when.

Hi, your problem is the locality. When you execute a script you always have to think about the locality.

The script which spawn the buildings has to be executed on server side only. Not for all players.

Example :

in the init.sqf of the mission, my script for spawning the base is called initAllBuildings.sqf

if (isServer) then {
  call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "initAllBuildings.sqf";
};

Thanks for using this tool, i talk about a next release with some features but for now i'm working on a mod.

I will improve the tool in the future, maybe IA positionning, its planned but i dont know when.

WOW! Thank you very much man. It was simple, but I'm not good with scripting :p

Now it works!

I can't wait to try your next release! Your work is amazing. Thank you for sharing it!

hello Lynx75

i really like your tool, very good positioning possibilities :)

I would really love to be able to save everything as sqm or at least to convert it.

best regards

Lappihuan

hello Lynx75

i really like your tool, very good positioning possibilities :)

I would really love to be able to save everything as sqm or at least to convert it.

best regards

Lappihuan

Its a good idea but it would take some time to implement such feature. I keep it in mind when i'll comme back to improve the tool.

Why have I only just seen this. I spent 3 hours trying to get RTE for arma 2 to work this morning :rolleyes:

This looks like a fantastic tool and cant wait to give it a go.

I can't understand how to make this tool work, ok i'm a newbie in editing but this is too difficult for me..

Installation :

1 - Put the LxOPS directory inside your mission

Ok this is easy, i have my C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Arma 3 - Other Profiles\myprofilname\missions\mymission.altis\

i copy and paste LxOPS folder inside

2 - declare #include "LxOPS\lxOPS_dlg.hpp" in your description.ext

this is more difficult, but I think I have to create "description.ext" or if I already have, open "description.ext" and paste somewhere #include "LxOPS\lxOPS_dlg.hpp" I think you need a ; at the end, right?

ok done, this is was medium difficulty

3 - create an empty script

Ok, I think you mean a script file, an ".sqf" file but where I need to create this sqf file? which name I should use? And why I need an empty script? Or am I totally wrong?

5 - create a repeatedly radio trigger with the following activation code : nul = [] execVM "LxOPS\lxOPS.sqf";

Again, how to create a radio trigger, and where? Inside a file, in mission editor somewhere in the map?

4 - play with the object positioning system (radio menu 0-0-1) - press copy button for the locked object - paste the code stuff in your script (ctrl + V) - unlock object and create new one

Are you talking about the mod? I need to open mission in editor or you mean play the mission on a listen server? Or I need a dedicated server?

5 - call your script at the beginning of the mission (server side)

Ahh so the GID is not started in this example, how i call it? do I need to shout the name (which name?) at the monitor?

6 - When you ve finished, Suppress the line #include "LxOPS\lxOPS_dlg.hpp" from your description.ext

and delete LxOPS directory from your mission

This is Easy, but the all the other thing you add? Like Radio trigger etc? All stay there?

Please write a better explanation, or someone please explain it better, tnx

Hi DuM3D0,

To use properly this tool, you need basic editing knowledge. You have a demo mission inside, put it in your mission directory and edit it. You will see how it works (use the radio menu 0-0-1 to activate the tool)

Its a good idea but it would take some time to implement such feature. I keep it in mind when i'll comme back to improve the tool.

SQM is outdated. Nobody should be using it at this point with A3. I wouldn't waste your time with it.

SQM is outdated. Nobody should be using it at this point with A3. I wouldn't waste your time with it.

So how do you make your missions?. I believe the request was so that the placed objects were view able in the editor all be it 2d. Which I think would be a handy feature.

So how do you make your missions?. I believe the request was so that the placed objects were view able in the editor all be it 2d. Which I think would be a handy feature.

Think he means .sqs

.sqm => missionfile

.sqs => old script file (outdated)

.sqf => new script file

I'm having a slight issue. Or maybe, I just don't understand something correctly.

I'm having an issue getting things to save in the mission. I think that maybe I missed a step somewhere :/.

I can get in game, and place objects just fine... But I can't seem to make those objects re-spawn when i take the server offline & bring it back online again. Or is this not possible?

Thanks

Matt

Hi, i will try to resume how the system work.

This tool is designed to help mission maker with precise object placement. This is not a complete 3D Editor or a real time editor, its just a little tool, small, efficent and user friendly.

The positionned objects have to be saved in a script using the copy button of the gui. This script will be called on mission start or when you want : mission event, objective success or failed ... or whatever.

It allow to save resource and trigger entire sub-scenario on particular events for example.

The objects are not described in .sqm so you can not use 2D editor to see your work.

The installation is easy. Here is a detailled example

1 - Put the LxOPS directory inside your mission

2 - declare #include "LxOPS\lxOPS_dlg.hpp" in your description.ext

@DuM3D0 : without ;. There is not ; because #include is not a execution command. Its a declaration like : "here is the content of the file LxOPS\lxOPS_dlg.hpp"

3 - create an empty script

Ok, why i say that ? Because we will save the code required to spawn the objects inside that script. You can use any script you want. It just an example for beginners.

When i use the tool, i combine objects, with AI spawn and other mission stuff. I can use it just to pick up coordinates.

For example, my .sqm mission file contains generally only the players slot. The entire mission is designed with scripts, there is nothing in the 2D editor, only the player slots, thats why there is sometimes misundestanding with this tool. the tool is efficent if you have basic scripting knowledge.

Ok, back to the installation. So i create the empty script "siteA.sqf" inside a folder ... let say eventA.

I have the mission directory and inside the folder eventA there is the script siteA.sqf

5 - create a repeatedly radio trigger anywhere on the map with the following activation code : nul = [] execVM "LxOPS\lxOPS.sqf";

In the 2D editor go to trigger, size it with 0, 0 and in activation combo box, select radio Alpha.

Click on the repeatedly button to be able to call it more than once. Write in the activation field nul = [] execVM "LxOPS\lxOPS.sqf";. Click Ok.

So now we have an alpha radio trigger. We can activate it in game by pressing the numbers 0 -> 0 -> 1 (radion alpha) the script lxOPS.sqf will be executed.

4 - play with the object positioning system (radio menu 0-0-1) - press copy button for the locked object - paste the code stuff in your script (ctrl + V) - unlock object and create new one

How the gui works. To the right there is a list of things, this is the list of your cfgVehicle with scope > 2.

Select "All" in the combobox to see all those classnames. There is some objects you cant spawn like module .... That why this tool required a minimum editing knowledge.

When the object is correctly positionned using translation and rotation button and increment combo box in the middle, you can press copy button to copy in the clipboard the required code to spawn the object at the same position. Go to your empty script and press ctrl+V.

Lock and unlock object using the central orange button.

5 - call your script at the beginning of the mission (server side)

Ok. When all the code has been copied in the script (save the script ;) ) and test your script whit a radio trigger like in this example :

In the 2D editor go to trigger, size it with 0, 0 and in activation combo box, select radio Bravo. Textfield : Site A, Activation field : eventA\siteA.sqf.

When you are in preview, call the bravo radio 0-0-2, the script siteA.sqf is executed and all your objects spawn. Look at the demo mission to understand better.

Ok, you have validated your script. Now, you have to connect it to the mission.

So we remove the tools : radio trigger, LxOPS folder and the line #include "LxOPS\lxOPS_dlg.hpp" of the description.ext are deleted.

We just have the script siteA.sqf inside the directory eventA wich contains all the stuff to spawn.

6 - connect the script as you want. For example, if i want those objects at the beginning of the mission. I put these line in the init.sqf.

These script has to be executed only on the server side, check about locality if you dont understand what i mean.

In the init.sqf

if (isServer) then {[] execVM "eventA\siteA.sqf";};

Remember that this is an example, there is many different way to use the tool.

If you are using the tool as a RTE (Real Time Editor) in multiplayer session, you cant save objects in real time, its impossible to write on a compressed .pbo mission on a server. You have to save your work in scripts and using those scripts to spawn saved objects.

Keep in mine that it is a tool designed to improve mission workflow. My team design its own coop missions with high immersion level, so we need it to place precisely objects to enhance mission atmosphere. It is not a 3D editor. It's just a light and efficent way to improve mission workflow.

I use it to spawn entire probable sub-scenario with AI, objective and ... objects depanding on the mission event. So its save ressource because the stuff are not in .sqm (so not in the 2D editor) and it provide quick technic to pick up coordinate and preview the result

There is many ways to use it.

I hope these will clarify some questions about using the tool or maybe not ... :D.

dont hesitate to ask if you have some troubles with it.

Thank you for your reply!! That helped a lot. Is there no way to copy multiple objects, or must I copy each individual object?

Also - if you planned on expanding the tool any further, you could, add object information to an sql database or similar & then gather that information & spawn it in at a later time. Just a way to work around where you said 'it's impossible to save to a pbo', but you don't necessaraly need to save the info to the pbo, just a database & make a script read the information from the database & then use that to spawn the objects.

But anyway.

Thank you!

Matt

@ rushlink, sorry for my late answer. yes, you have to copy each individual object. I know .. its boring but so usefull :)

If i have time i will rework the entire system.

Here is a new version of the LxOPS with little change and rsc gui fix

This version add a new combobox for enabling or disabling object simulation.

When the mission has a lot of objects and the mission designer need it only to create immersive atmosphere it is important to save server CPU by disabling simulation of theses objects.

If you select "disable object sim" the copied code will had "_object enableSimulation false;"

Changelog V1.2 :

Add new combo box to enable/disable object simulation

Changed log button to log required code in RPT

Changed updated GUI Resources

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xxz5f8mfqkjv51g/object_positioning_system_v1_2.rar

First post updated.

Lynx75

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!