abs

Star Trek: Road to the Stars

8u2yr8R.jpg

Training Log, Stardate 20138.3

A new generation of students has arrived here at Starfleet Academy. These new recruits have shown much promise and, with the additional support of new educational material from the Bureau of Interstellar Scholars (BIS), they are about to graduate with flying colours. At the present time, they are only proficient with the Type 2 phaser, but with additional training they will easily yield the Type 3 in their next year in the Academy.

These officers will soon be released for their first away mission on a far away planet called Stratis. The planet is an M class one that all cadets are sent to, as there is no local population which makes it ideal for combat training. This planet will ensure that they can be trained safely against other Starfleet cadets before facing hostile aliens in future missions.

e6RFnCq.jpg

As their training officer, I have high hopes for them. I, and the rest of the community should be able to see what they are capable of within the next two weeks.

Lt. Cmdr. Smith, end recording.

the retexture looks more badass than the startrek uniform, but a new model would be better

A new model would be better, but I am not a skilled character artist so we'll have to deal with retextures. And I agree that this looks more badass...it's kinda grown on me.

Abs

i really like the look of the retexture too. not everything has to be a perfet replica just because it's based on something. especially not, if the outcome looks that nice. it looks almost like a gritty comic version of the original thing.

They look utterly hardcore... "Don't mess with the Fleet" kind of thing lol...

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! The good news is that since these are a basic retexture, they're practically ready for release.

- No new model means I don't have the weighting and texturing issues that I faced in Arma2.

- Thanks to BIS support via the tutorials, importing new models for A3 has been a lot simpler.

- These guys will only be released with the Type 2 phaser for now. It will all be beta format because I know that it needs some work, but my focus this time around is much more release centric. Type 3 phaser will be added for the re-relase which will include bug fixes.

- It will only be a release of the Starfleet troops. No enemy to fight against. Also, no island for them to fight on except the default one for now.

- Release should be less than two weeks away. All that's really left is the documentation.

Abs

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! The good news is that since these are a basic retexture, they're practically ready for release.

- No new model means I don't have the weighting and texturing issues that I faced in Arma2.

- Thanks to BIS support via the tutorials, importing new models for A3 has been a lot simpler.

- These guys will only be released with the Type 2 phaser for now. It will all be beta format because I know that it needs some work, but my focus this time around is much more release centric. Type 3 phaser will be added for the re-relase which will include bug fixes.

- It will only be a release of the Starfleet troops. No enemy to fight against. Also, no island for them to fight on except the default one for now.

- Release should be less than two weeks away. All that's really left is the documentation.

Abs

I recall a hooded/post-apocalyptic type character mod made early in the alpha's release. I'm not sure if it's still supported, but they'd make for a great enemy force!! As a Trek fan since the mid-70s, I'm stoked for this. I'd love to see a shuttle craft (even a wrecked one so we can do some sort of stranded on an Earth-like planet mission!)! Great work, mate!

I recall a hooded/post-apocalyptic type character mod made early in the alpha's release. I'm not sure if it's still supported, but they'd make for a great enemy force!! As a Trek fan since the mid-70s, I'm stoked for this. I'd love to see a shuttle craft (even a wrecked one so we can do some sort of stranded on an Earth-like planet mission!)! Great work, mate!

i think it would also be possible to add the main races from star trek as heads. much like asian and african type heads are in the game now. should be possible. since lots of races in star trek are humanoid anyways one could even use the standard faces as overlays to get lots of personalities.

then all you need is a base uniform for the enemies/allies and do some colour variations like with what you already have. would be awesome.

Looks great !
Nice to see that this is still going strong :)
Enterprise, one to beam up!!:D

Just a great mod!!!!

Thanks guys! :)

There is a shuttlecraft in the works. I'm reworking the textures a little bit...in an effort to make the UV maps more efficient I made an error, so I have to rework the textures. After that's done, I need to update the model to Arma3 standards.

Needless to say, my release plans are:

- Beta of the infantry with Type 2 phaser

- Any reported bug fixes, texture improvements (if possible), and the inclusion of the Type 3 phaser rifle

- Beta of the shuttlecraft

- ...we'll see...

i think it would also be possible to add the main races from star trek as heads. much like asian and african type heads are in the game now. should be possible. since lots of races in star trek are humanoid anyways one could even use the standard faces as overlays to get lots of personalities.

then all you need is a base uniform for the enemies/allies and do some colour variations like with what you already have. would be awesome.

That's true. I was working on the Vulcan ears for Arma2, but without the release of an example fully working A3 head model, I'd rather not try to modify them for now. Regardless, I could never hold a candle to your work on the Alienz mod. :) We'll see what the future holds.

Abs

So I was a bit inspired last night (read: had work deadlines approaching, so I was looking for anything else to do but actual work) and I remodelled the Type 2 Phaser. I cannibalized a part here and a part there, but I'd say it's 90% brand new. I just finished making it, and thought I'd show it off. Can you guess which one the old model is?

dX72t3d.jpg

I'll probably try making a new muzzleflash for it as well, as I feel the other one is a bit dated. Having said that, my texturing skills are shite so if there is a texturer out there looking for a small project here or there who would like to try and help out I would be more than happy to hear from you! :)

Making this model will not derail my plans to get the Type 3 in-game by the time I release v0.75 of the infantry pack on September 12th (or 13th). If anything, this model may not make it into the pack, and you may have to wait for this for a little bit.

Abs

A few updated screenshots...you can always check out the facebook page for the latest screens as they're posted! :)

New Type2 model in-game!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=636518833035118&set=a.606138132739855.1073741825.160451707308502&type=1&theater

An away team member survey's a Strange New World

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=636887572998244&set=a.366003900086614.84623.160451707308502&type=1&theater

Shot of the new crew member, along with the in-game Type3 phaser.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=636930746327260&set=a.606138132739855.1073741825.160451707308502&type=1&theater

Abs

A few updated screenshots...you can always check out the facebook page for the latest screens as they're posted! :)

New Type2 model in-game!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=636518833035118&set=a.606138132739855.1073741825.160451707308502&type=1&theater

An away team member survey's a Strange New World

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=636887572998244&set=a.366003900086614.84623.160451707308502&type=1&theater

Shot of the new crew member, along with the in-game Type3 phaser.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=636930746327260&set=a.606138132739855.1073741825.160451707308502&type=1&theater

Abs

Who you be kind enough to host the pictures somewhere else than FB ? Thanks :)

Sure thing...the three pictures I've posted are the three latest photos on the ModDB page here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-trek-road-to-the-stars :)

Abs

Edited by Abs

An old favourite returns...

l5rxGC9.png

Abs

she's beautiful!
Gnat;2543791']P r e t t y

Nice!

Thanks, gents. I've got a few ideas in the works that I think will really take this to the next level. Stay tuned. :)

Abs