Sign in to follow this  
Tyl3r99

divers are useless in most scenarios

i find that you hardly use divers for infiltration from the sea...

A. their primary weapon. well i think i can throw a stone further than the bullet

B. AI switches to pistol and does not engage... probably due to the pistol ineffectiveness ... and the fact it takes like 5 rounds to kill something (3 rounds to the head to be precise)

C. AI cannot swim or engage underwater properly GIVE THEM ARMBANDS

i think there should be more versions of divers.

for example

you have the divers that are water combat based like we have now.

and divers that have land based weaponry and gear. OR navy seal units.

i hope someone gets my drift here.

they added a new whole dimension into the game. will takes years to fix all the related bugs. wellcome in bis world.

12 years have passed from ofp to arma 3 and the AI tank gunner its still not able to use HEAT rounds on targets. so..arm yourself with an huge quantity of patience. by the way my enthusiasm for this new dimension is close to 0 until i dont see some attack submarine and some battleship, but that's just my personal thought.

Well, I was just playing and me and a small group put on rebreathers with are gear, then we gave the other guys we were playing with a heart attack when we popped up and annihilated them.

yeah but i dont want to have to script re-breathers for my entire AI squad vice versa.

be better if they/or someone make an assault-diver version with a proper weapon

Divers aren't useless in most scenarios--player divers can be very effective, especially against AI; however, AI divers need a lot of love to get them up to speed. The SDAR isn't helping the situation. I'm not sure about the RL equivalent of the gun, but the zeroing should change with he ammo type, especially outside of the water.

Likewise, since you can carry an extra gun in a backpack, allowing divers to carry an extra gun and switch weapons when out of the water would be a good addition.

or like comadrin said, if there was different ammo types for the SDAR at least...

mags for underwater

and normal stagnag rounds for normal shooting

There's no way it's going to be "a whole new dimension" on par with land or air. Even in the promo vids they only show the same mission of the SDV going through that narrow valley and then disabling some mines. How could it be anything but a gimmick when each side only has two underwater units (diver and sdv) and one of them doesn't even have weapons?

or like comadrin said, if there was different ammo types for the SDAR at least...

mags for underwater

and normal stagnag rounds for normal shooting

That's exactly the case. You even get equipped with these in the diving showcase...

There's no way it's going to be "a whole new dimension" on par with land or air. Even in the promo vids they only show the same mission of the SDV going through that narrow valley and then disabling some mines. How could it be anything but a gimmick when each side only has two underwater units (diver and sdv) and one of them doesn't even have weapons?
The video in the article about "no campaign at release" showed a SDV performing laser designation against a ground vehicle (driver took it to periscope depth, "gunner" acquired and lased the land target).
That's exactly the case. You even get equipped with these in the diving showcase...
In fact, one of the pitfalls of the diving showcase as a "instructional" is that it doesn't make it obvious at all that you're supposed to switch to the "STANAG" mag once you surface.

oh so wait... you can switch to different ammo??

does the AI know this? lol

and what effects would the stagnag round have in water in case you run out of underwater ammo or whatever its called?

and what effects would the stagnag round have in water in case you run out of underwater ammo or whatever its called?

STANAG becomes useless underwater, only shooting a few meters and losing all kinetic energy. The underwater ammunition is a 5.56 Dual Purpose Round.

In fact, one of the pitfalls of the diving showcase as a "instructional" is that it doesn't make it obvious at all that you're supposed to switch to the "STANAG" mag once you surface.

When I play it and resurface after disarming the mines, I receive a hint for "reloading", also mentioning the action menu giving a selection of all reloadable ammo types.

ill quickly give this another test

STANAG becomes useless underwater, only shooting a few meters and losing all kinetic energy. The underwater ammunition is a 5.56 Dual Purpose Round.

When I play it and resurface after disarming the mines, I receive a hint for "reloading", also mentioning the action menu giving a selection of all reloadable ammo types.

as for the AI i will leave this for the devs to answer as it seems that the AI do not know the difference between the duel purpose and stagnag

[uPDATE]

i have played showcase mission and its a lot clearer now, using the reload stagnag round etc...

but... i dont believe the AI know this.

@devs - can something be done regarding the duel purpose and stagnag round usage for AI?

Edited by tyl3r99
test

Dont know in my Eyes divers are pretty cool in arma 3.Also i think that most people dose not play the scenarios or the campaigne if it comes out,guess 90 percent will jump right in to the Mulitplayer action.

And yes you are right,the underwater weapons are only made for underwater engagement against other divers,and maybe you allready notice that you can get a diver bag,wich is actually pretty big.

In this diver bag you can put in another weapon,or you can jump in the water with your regular weapon,but then you cant shoot underwater.

I cant wait until they release the full version,then it will be amazing to dive with the small sub and mark targets from up to 2000 kilometers away and then get it bombed from a Jet or something like that.

And in the meantyme the rest of the squad lands on the coast and is getting deeper behind enemy lines.This is going to be so amazing :)

Dont know in my Eyes divers are pretty cool in arma 3.Also i think that most people dose not play the scenarios or the campaigne if it comes out,guess 90 percent will jump right in to the Mulitplayer action.

And yes you are right,the underwater weapons are only made for underwater engagement against other divers,and maybe you allready notice that you can get a diver bag,wich is actually pretty big.

In this diver bag you can put in another weapon,or you can jump in the water with your regular weapon,but then you cant shoot underwater.

I cant wait until they release the full version,then it will be amazing to dive with the small sub and mark targets from up to 2000 kilometers away and then get it bombed from a Jet or something like that.

And in the meantyme the rest of the squad lands on the coast and is getting deeper behind enemy lines.This is going to be so amazing :)

Well, now you have put it like that who am I to disagree!! And marking targets from 2000 km away is just the icing on the cake!

the SDV or whatever its called isnt what im going on about.

im simply saying that the AI will not change their ammo types when they are on land making them switch to pistol that couldnt kill a soldier with 99% damage.

the mini sub itself is very neat and i agree with the laser designate feature.

however this will be useful once the jets are in.

anyway back on topic.

AI need to know when they are in and out of water so they can change to the relevant ammo.

otherwise only human players can benifit with this.

Yeah, but IRL, divers dont have weapons to shoot underwater.

Diving is only a way to reach their insertion point ashore.

They have SMG or assault rifle and use it when they're on the ground.

IF I come back to editing (which is absolutely NOT sure) and use divers in my missions, they'll only have an assault rifle or SMG and use it when on the ground.

For example: Act of Valor.

Yeah, but IRL, divers dont have weapons to shoot underwater.

Diving is only a way to reach their insertion point ashore.

They have SMG or assault rifle and use it when they're on the ground.

IF I come back to editing (which is absolutely NOT sure) and use divers in my missions, they'll only have an assault rifle or SMG and use it when on the ground.

For example: Act of Valor.

IRL underwater weapons do exist, even some huge advancements with super cavitating bullets recently.

I don't say underwater weapons don't exist, I say IRL divers don't use them to fight underwater.

There is no such thing as a firefight underwater between divers.

First of all because divers are SF whose missions are basically on the ground or on a boat - diving is only a way to reach their objective.

Then it is supposed to be a stealth approach and the guys remain undetected - and there is never enemy divers patrolling the coast.

Last but not least, even if the guys ARE detected, it's much more easy to send a boat to take them out or to wait for the critical moment during which they get out of water and come ashore to shoot them.

That's why I don't really care about the underwater weapons - as it's not realistic.

Edited by Wiki

the mini sub itself is very neat and i agree with the laser designate feature.

however this will be useful once the jets are in.

Can the current guided anti-surface/anti-armor weapons acquire and track laser-designated targets such as those lased by the SDV? If so, that would mean not having to wait for jets -- and as mentioned before, at least we've already seen this happen in that one video on the German site, so we know that jets and laser-guided munitions for use with the SDV are on the way.

nope of course :D

they are not able to switch from armor piercing rounds when they use tanks or choppers as well and they are not able to switch to the proper ammo while using a rifle. AI in arma series is so primitive.