Sign in to follow this  
BlackBalsam

Hit registration

As in topic, hit reg is TERRIBLE. Shots not registering, lag, shots missing even when on target, shots going on target when target is lagging out ( free kills ), shots not registering as damage even though character is flinching.

Seriously, you try to make a shooter where you absolutely CAN NOT effectively shoot people ? Close combat is a effin joke, with people's pings, twitchy movement and random damage values.

I just shot a guy in the back of the neck 7 times, he turns around and one- shots me. This is how an effective flanking manouver usually ends. Fired a 3 round burst at first, didnt die, shot again, turns around and kills me. Fair ?

ArmA 3's Damage Distribution is weird but i have never had those problems you are talking about.

If you have very bad ping and/or high desync than those things will happen in every game. And if you're Server is running bad you might want to change it's hardware/internet provider etc.#

cheers

30 ping, eu server, other player was lying still. His body was twitching around " clear marker of hits registered " but apparently no damage delivered. Target was.. maximum 10 meters in front of me

I agree, either hit reg is glitchy or units have too much health. I shoot a guy 2 times with an MX just so he can sprint to cover like he wasn't damaged at all.

Yesterday, Coop mission .. all pings times are good. AI is prone in a building just sitting there. I empty 9MM magazine from about 1 meter, as I am reloading he moves to face me while prone and kills me. He had no blood and seemed to come out without a scratch. Nice. It seems to me the closer you are... the worse hit detection gets. HA! maybe I was just shooting blanks..

My theory is that body armor and helmets are too random. Will have to test on a naked character, maybe later today when I'm home. Or someone who has a clue how the configs work can give us a hint (note that helmets and vests have a "passthrough" attribute in addition to the "armor" attribute (example), but it's quite unclear what that actually affects).

If hit registration isn't bugged, it's definitely simulated in a weird fashion.

Can't say I've noticed a problem against either AI or Players. I've seen, at times, that the lighter ammo (5.56 for example) requires a good two//three centre mass hits before bringing down an enemy, but I believe that is to do with the body armour being worn by that particular AI/Player.

5.56 doesn't do full damage even at short range and even when it definitely registers, verified with int str (damage unit). It only deals about 0.86 damage, while 6.5 deals more than 1 and thus kills in 1 hit (even a leg shot). Again, still need to test the situations in which a hit is visible yet virtually no damage is dealt - Use the same command to see if any damage was dealt at all, and if it can even be reproduced at all when the target is local to the shooter or if it requires the target to be non-local (AI on a server while you are the client, or another player in PvP).

Yes, I've noticed that. I've also always gotten a one-hit kill using 7.62 regardless of armour. Perhaps your hit reg complaint is based on your ping or indeed the server box itself as opposed to the game code?

sorry, but I have not see hit registration problems. if v anything it's the opposite in that it seems bullets want to hit their target.

The way ArmA works is that if you see yourself hitting someone, that person is hit. If you see him hit but he takes no damage, it's either a bug, or undocumented game mechanic. Maybe packet loss, but even that should be pretty damn rare if it's actually just your internet connection and nothing to do with the game. Packet loss is extremely low for most people most of the time, so non-registered hits due to packet loss, even if possible, should be extremely rare.

Again, never noticed the issue in SP, so it might be a bug in the netcode, but I'll have to find the time and do some tests.

There is a way to see damage values and armor values? if player have more information about mechanics is more easy to spot errors.