Sign in to follow this  
Sneakson

Official Benchmarking scenario?

Hey! Didn't ARMA2 have one or two official benchmarking scenarios you could run?

Why not ask BIS to have this in the game as soon as possible so we can make more accurate comparisons of various components to make better recommendations to others etc?

I could see any request for it after searching so here:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12269

We need an official benchmark included in the game by default as this makes it a lot easier and standardized and as a consequence many more will use it and results will actually be very accurately comparable.

^+1111111

Excellent idea but I guess there is a reason we don't have it in game:j:

We need an official benchmark included in the game by default as this makes it a lot easier and standardized and as a consequence many more will use it and results will actually be very accurately comparable.

What real need is there for a benchmarking mission other than comparing e-peen?

"I got 36434 FPS in the benchmark mission" doesnt really add much to bug reports...

"I got 36434 FPS in the benchmark mission" doesnt really add much to bug reports...

Most REAL benchmarks send out a log, not just FPS. It would help them make further optimizations.

I already mentioned it. A lot of people are asking both how well they will run the game on their current computers and are asking me what computer they should buy next.

No need to recommend a more expensive chassis if performance is the same, or the 660 Ti to a user if the cheaper 660 performs just as well, no need to recommend a Titan if two 770s outperform it by 40% and no need to recommend SLI or tri-SLI of various high-end cards when they actually make performance worse in standard resolutions et cetera.

Also if some component performs poor beyond reason there may be room for some optimizations.

And naturally it may also be used to test different settings and not only components.

Edited by Sneakson

I think it's more about personal reference. Many people here buy, upgrade and tweak their systems just for Arma 3. Having a benchmark which offers you a persistent performance value is crucial when doing e.g. overclocking etc.

Additionally, it's also very useful for the devs if they want to see how certain changes impact a large amount of hardware combinations. ("Hey, we just implemented a new way of doing X, see how it performs for you")

When people report performance related feedback, it might often not actually be valid because the scenario, or mission the feedback was gathered from, contained e.g. a bad loop or similar.

Only when everyone tests the same, there's actually a usable testing environment :)