Sign in to follow this  
ThreeProphets

Helicopters don't fly?

Not sure if this is the right section... or what to search for. Basically, my helicopters are doing everything except flying. They're flipping upside down, spinning randomly, and descending uncontrollably, all of the above with no warning whatsoever. The only way to fly is with auto hover, but that's limited to a very low airspeed. I can fly in ArmA, and I've been lightly "studying" helicopter physics, but this is ridiculous! I haven't tried turning down the difficulty, will update when I do (hopefully tomorrow), but I'd like to learn to fly with full realism settings.

Not sure how to start here but what came to mind first would be that Arma flying and TOH flying are totally different stuff. TOH is a realistic helicopter simulator whereas Arma is a military simulator. Now of course what you have described is unacceptable if there is no warning, at all.

And when do this things actually occur?

At takeoff or simply while you are flying around?

Because in higher difficulties for example at takeoffs the helicopter tends to spin due to it's back rotor. But maybe you are already aware of that since you have studied helicopter physics. And it really needs some practice to get used to it.

Then there is the game malfunctioning which could be due to corrupted files or a corrupted installation process. If you had no serious progress in the game then you should re-install the game. Or just repair it.

Hope to see you online!

Best of Luck!

Yeah, I turned the difficulty all the way down, same exact problem. Even with auto hover it's descending rapidly. Reinstalling now.

EDIT: Reinstalled. Exact same problem.

Edited by Prophet

Maybe you should start questioning your controller since you are the first one to report such a problem. It could be not compatible. Does it work with other games such as in Arma?

Check the sensitivity. Lessen the dead zone all of which are located at Settings, Controls, Controllers, choose your controller, alter the settings. For instance by completely reducing the dead zone then you will have more control over the throttle. By altering the sensitivity then the controlling will be much easier and even more realistic. You should try reducing it by maybe 50% more.

Try different helicopters in the free flight section. Do all of them act like crazy?

So your helicopter is descending rapidly... under what conditions? Are you able to fly and then it falls out of the sky, or are you starting a mission in the air?

So your helicopter is descending rapidly... under what conditions? Are you able to fly and then it falls out of the sky, or are you starting a mission in the air?

Both ways, but it really seems to freak out if you start flying.

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Maybe you should start questioning your controller since you are the first one to report such a problem. It could be not compatible. Does it work with other games such as in Arma?

Check the sensitivity. Lessen the dead zone all of which are located at Settings, Controls, Controllers, choose your controller, alter the settings. For instance by completely reducing the dead zone then you will have more control over the throttle. By altering the sensitivity then the controlling will be much easier and even more realistic. You should try reducing it by maybe 50% more.

Try different helicopters in the free flight section. Do all of them act like crazy?

Tried turning down my deadzone and sensitivity. Made it really hard to bank, that's it. As for the other choppers, the larger ones behave even worse!

Now would you mind if you informed us, which controller you are using?

I mean this is really bizarre and I imagine it very frustrating.

Personally I have faced some similar problems but only at the point when I was landing. These were some hysterical and unacceptable landings. You know. Descending with just 2-3 m/s and let's say a top of 5 m/s as an forward airspeed and the helicopter acting really wildly. It just banked to the right, always to the right, and turned upside-down although my efforts to stabilize it. But these two, maybe three, incidents occurred to me after some gunfight and when I was landing at the dessert so these could be it.

Now would you mind if you informed us, which controller you are using?

I mean this is really bizarre and I imagine it very frustrating.

I'm using a Microsoft Sidewinder. I have an AV8R, but it's having some serious problems right now.

Sorry but no solution seems to come from this thread.

Maybe you should just contact with Bohemia Interactive directly so as to find a solution.

SOLVED!!! I had a few strange controls assigned. "engine 1-4 lower/raise" and "fast forward" under aircraft controls was on my collective. Once I got rid of those I found out the collective wasn't actually working, so I switched it to analog. It's still a hard game, but it's playable now. Thanks for working with me on this, guys!