Sign in to follow this  
Darkhorse 1-6

C-5 Galaxy work

I'm working on bringing over the C-5 Galaxy that Mukcep brought into A2 recently. The plan is to update it for A3, get flares working on it, see if any major issues pop up in the conversion, and then release the final product, and the source files, to the community. I created this thread for the questions/issues I'm sure I'm about to start running into.

Yes...

He himself converted them from models that were either freeware, or that he got permissions for. Permissions have been granted for everything that he's uploaded, for any RV engine game. He handed out the unbinarized files to the entire community. I've been around quite a while, ProGamer, and I've had to fight the idiots who don't believe in IP rights. I know what I'm doing.

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 AM ----------

Alright, I'm getting several things in my .rpt when I just drag the binned pbo into A3.

I'm not sure if this is a default A3 error, or if it's dealing with the C-5.

control[CA_ValueSide]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueSide]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueFaction]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueFaction]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueClass]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueClass]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueVehicle]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueVehicle]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueSpecial]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueSpecial]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueControl]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueControl]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueLock]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueLock]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueRank]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueRank]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueAge]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueAge]: Unexpected control type [4]
control[CA_ValueSkill]: Unexpected control type [3]
control[CA_ValueSkill]: Unexpected control type [3]
control[CA_ValueHealth]: Unexpected control type [3]
control[CA_ValueHealth]: Unexpected control type [3]
control[CA_ValueFuel]: Unexpected control type [3]
control[CA_ValueFuel]: Unexpected control type [3]
control[CA_ValueAmmo]: Unexpected control type [3]
control[CA_ValueAmmo]: Unexpected control type [3]
control[CA_ValuePresence]: Unexpected control type [3]
control[CA_ValuePresence]: Unexpected control type [3]

This I believe I remember how to fix.

Warning Message: No entry 'config.bin/CfgFactionClasses.USMC'.
Warning Message: No entry '.priority'.
Warning Message: '/' is not a value
Warning Message: No entry '.displayName'.

This is being spammed...

Cannot load sound 'galaxy_c5\sound\flaps.wav'
non-PCM format 2 in 'galaxy_c5\sound\flaps.wav'

and what I believe is the biggest point in the .rpt is...

In Vehicle: galaxy_c5\galaxy_c5.p3d missing driver get in direction point
In Vehicle: galaxy_c5\galaxy_c5.p3d missing cargo get in direction point
In Vehicle: galaxy_c5\galaxy_c5.p3d missing gunner get in direction point

What I'm wondering currently is how I fix the get in points, and the "non-PCM" sound issue. I can't get in as pilot, but I have the ability to "Take controls" from the co-pilot seat. (I can take controls, which gives me engine controls, flaps, etc. but if I throttle up, the engine comes on, but the aircraft doesn't move an inch).

Also, the ramps that drop down allow infantry to walk up them, but not vehicles (they just pass through as if there is no LOD), any ideas on this?

It's been a while since I've done anything addon wise, and I know stuff is changing with A3, just trying to figure out where to start, and how.

*Note: It appears in the game, you can get in some of the positions, even the tie-down cargo script works. You just can't fly her. (yet)

Are yoj ust dragging and dropping the A2 pbo into A3? That isn't going to get you very far with an aircraft, you need to open her up and do some work to the model and config/model.cfg. On that note, you need to post up the config and model.cfg - otherwise we're working blind here

1. Not see that before, hard to tell what's going on without the config, suspect it's an inheritance issue

2. Again, need to see the config, but there's some erroneous/missing values for the factions there, or some dud inheritance

3. Try converting wav to ogg

4. Get in direction point is in the memory LOD, you have two points that tell the game where someone can select 'get in', for which position and which direction that get in action should occur. I'm not sure why you'd need a gunner get in for a C5 though? At any rate you need to go into the model and double check the get in points are correct defined and setup.

5. Not moving is probably an issue with a missing PhysX LOD if you have inherited from a PhysX class in the config.

6. The ramp probably needs a roadway LOD, again via the model

Also you may need to add simulation type in cfgvehicles. Eg.

simulation="aircraft"; // or "airplane"

To get it moving.

Are yoj ust dragging and dropping the A2 pbo into A3? That isn't going to get you very far with an aircraft, you need to open her up and do some work to the model and config/model.cfg. On that note, you need to post up the config and model.cfg - otherwise we're working blind here

1. Not see that before, hard to tell what's going on without the config, suspect it's an inheritance issue

2. Again, need to see the config, but there's some erroneous/missing values for the factions there, or some dud inheritance

3. Try converting wav to ogg

4. Get in direction point is in the memory LOD, you have two points that tell the game where someone can select 'get in', for which position and which direction that get in action should occur. I'm not sure why you'd need a gunner get in for a C5 though? At any rate you need to go into the model and double check the get in points are correct defined and setup.

5. Not moving is probably an issue with a missing PhysX LOD if you have inherited from a PhysX class in the config.

6. The ramp probably needs a roadway LOD, again via the model

#1- might be one of the numerous beta issues in the .rpt, I'll have to experiment and see.

#2- Yeah, I've got to find the right faction names and swap all that stuff out.

#3- Will try it and report back.

#4- It's been over a year since I've done anything with the tools, thought it was a LOD issue, but wasn't completely sure at 2am. :p

#5- Fixed, via MrFlay's suggestion.

#6- Has me wondering. I'm fairly certain the roadway LOD exists on the model in ArmA 2, as vehicles can drive straight through. Will open up O2 and root around though, maybe I've mussed something up somewhere.

Also you may need to add simulation type in cfgvehicles. Eg.

simulation="aircraft"; // or "airplane"

To get it moving.

That worked perfectly, thanks!

Has anybody done a list of the ArmA 3 animations/faction names/classnames as of yet?

#6- Has me wondering. I'm fairly certain the roadway LOD exists on the model in ArmA 2, as vehicles can drive straight through. Will open up O2 and root around though, maybe I've mussed something up somewhere.

The model is probably missing a component in the geometry LOD for the ramp (or it's too thin). I don't think the Roadway LOD is used for physX enabled vehicles.

Hm. Does that mean that as long as the geoLOD is there, the roadway isn't needed?

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

I think the Roadway LOD is still needed for infantry units. Walking straight on the geolod is glitchy, usually.

It's been a very long time since I've done anything with the tools or a config. I know this might sound stupid, but how do I find the faction names from the default A3 units? I know I can get infantry classnames the old fashioned way, by placing them in a mission and then opening that up in a notepad, but is the faction name also included there?

(I'm trying to get as many of the errors and conversion issues done as possible, then I'll upload that to this thread for help with the vehicle/geolod/physX issue. I'm probably just missing something incredibly obvious each time (or not doing something right), but nothing I do allows vehicles to drive up the ramps or inside the fuselage.)

(I'm trying to get as many of the errors and conversion issues done as possible, then I'll upload that to this thread for help with the vehicle/geolod/physX issue. I'm probably just missing something incredibly obvious each time (or not doing something right), but nothing I do allows vehicles to drive up the ramps or inside the fuselage.)
In A3 landcotact points on vehicles interact with the physx geo lod not the normal lod or roadways which are far man class and geo to geo contact.

you need a copy of the geo lod named 4e16 or similar and you cannot binarise the model with this new lod less the game wil crash .

Define "info"?

This is not in the Work in Progress section. You have not seen photos of what I'm working on because I haven't posted any. I have a C-5 ingame, flying, and am now experimenting with different animations for the pilots so it doesn't look like they're flying a wheel bird with a stick. I'm having some animation issues. I'm having issues with getting vehicles to drive inside of it, etc. When it's to a WiP or Completed thread stage, you'll see one. Until then, you won't get anymore "info".

Edit-

(Looking at your thread history, I'm going to add that there will be no jump capability, nor cargo area passenger capability, nor jump scripts, included in the release, when I release it, if I release it.)

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

(Looking at your thread history, I'm going to add that there will be no jump capability, nor cargo area passenger capability, nor jump scripts, included in the release, when I release it, if I release it.)

So what will it do besides move vehicles? Just wondering if you're leaving those out because it's not the intended purpose, or what. I'm thinking passengers and jumping would be the two most desired functions for something like this.

I'm just trying to understand what your thinking is for the project.

I'm having a difficult enough time trying to get PhysX to work, because without it vehicles can't use it. We have been told that we won't see players moving inside of vehicles in A3. I expect a community member will explore this or currently is, but as far as I know, it's not happening right now. There are no seats modeled inside the C-5 fuselage. There are not going to be any seats modeled inside the C-5 fuselage. What I am considering looking into, after the current issues are sorted, is the feasibility of creating a realistic system, which is seats that are attached to pallets which are then loaded like cargo.

The C-5 may have a jump capability in real life, but it is seldom used. If you want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, your best bet is a C-7, C-17, C-27, C-123, C-130, C-160 or any number of other aircraft that may or may not have the designation "C" with a number higher than "5". (Though in fairness the Japanese C-1 is a good lookin' bird.)

As for jump scripts, if you can script then by all means you can help the project. Otherwise, nope.

I'll release the C-5, and the source files, standalone, when it gets to that point, but the reason I'm doing this is because it's going to be part of a mod that's been in the works for a while that I'm not going to give details about. I'm doing this so that I will have the large-scale transport capability I've wanted for a very long time. To be perfectly honest I couldn't give a rats ass about parachuting out of the C-5 because the C-5 is meant primarily as a strategic transport bird. Only a nut would jump out of a gigantic fairly slow and very heavy target like her, instead of a nimble C-130 or Cessna or Osprey or whatever you want to put in it's place. I'm not planning on giving it that capability because I know other aircraft are in the works by other people and those aircraft can do the job better because it's part of their pedigree.

I don't care what the communities desired functions are, the functions I desire are moving through the air, not blowing up, landing, having the ramp/nose open properly, and the ability to transport pallets/containers/vehicles. Oh, and to look good while doing so.

I'm doing this so that I will have the large-scale transport capability I've wanted for a very long time. To be perfectly honest I couldn't give a rats ass about parachuting out of the C-5 because the C-5 is meant primarily as a strategic transport bird.
That's all I was trying to understand. Thanks.

nevermind...

Edited by BadHabitz

While the C-5 isn't jumped out of often it is still jumped out of, and very capable of doing so. Honestly if it weren't for the poor capability of setting it would be a rather nice aircraft to jump out. Hell some center-line seat pallets that were made for the task, or duel rail setup would make airborne happy. Airdrops unless your talking about a tank are more commonly seen in the C-17 or C-130. While I can't wait for the C-5 I hope they do the C-17 along with your project being its a more versatile aircraft for drops.