Sign in to follow this  
Shadows

Game not launching

Thought I'd create a topic in case other persons have the same problem,

I finished downloading the game, and restarted my computer just to be sure, the game does not start, I just get the steam launch prompt that flashes for half a second and then nothing...

My drivers are up to date, windows 8 x64, largely over the minimum requirements so I don't see what can be wrong.

Please help

well, looks like I'm the first, yay, lucky me... *goes and cries in a corner*

Hmmm, can't seem to write any notes...

EDIT: oh well, I'll just say it here then. With suck a issue you should attach your dxdiag. Else it can be very hard for the developers to locate and terminate the error.

I'll append it to the ticket, was thinking of doing it, but the lure of being the first one to post an issue on a BI game took the better of me :)

I can't start due to being on Windows 7 Ultimate N. I'm missing the WMVCore.DLL from my computer. Meh, I've had this problem so many times with other things on my PC.

I also do have WMVCore.DLL on my PC.

Edited by Jalio

Windows 8 64 bit

Nvidia GTX 470

2 gig ram

e6600 @2.4 gigs

All good here launches via steam and via desktop perfectly .

Suggest OP adds more PC detail becaus its not Windows 8 64 bit problem mustbe something local , maybe gfx card or similar ?

I'm just downloading now, if I have the same issue I'll work my ass off to find a fix and I'll start a thread or something if I work it out

problem is the game doesn't even try to launch, I just get the useless steam prompt and nothing not even an attempt to change resolution or a windows blinking...

Same here, to be fair the game has literally just come out lol, maybe giving it a few hours may help, awh I know I'm desperate to :(

Hey guys, hmm please post the issue in the tracker, especially with the configurations. There must be a simple problem behind it

Hey everyone, turns out it was the steam installation folder TOM didn't like, I had to install steam (the app no just TOM) on my system SSD and redownload TOM, it now works. hope this helps the other ones who had this problem.

I tried what you mentioned Shadows however nothing for changed for me. I was playing around yesterday with the file I was missing, found a new one and seems to load up, problem now is all I get is a black screen. This is annoying now, so I'm going to sit this one out until some patches or whatever come our way. Nothing more I can do.

I tried what you mentioned Shadows however nothing for changed for me. I was playing around yesterday with the file I was missing, found a new one and seems to load up, problem now is all I get is a black screen. This is annoying now, so I'm going to sit this one out until some patches or whatever come our way. Nothing more I can do.

What file was missing? Please give some info so we can help you fix it.

What file was missing? Please give some info so we can help you fix it.

OK so I installed the game and tried to launch via steam, the little steam window flashed up and then closed. I then tried to load the game from the TKOM.exe and it told me I was missing the WMVCore.DLL. I already had that file on my system. I had this issue yesterday for a while so thought I would try find a new version of that file. I did, and it got me a little further when I loaded up the game via TKOM.exe with a new file that was missing, which was WMASF.DLL. I downloaded that file and did the install of it as required.

I have also done steam restarts, system restarts, re-installed the game multiple times, re-installed the game to another directory and also done the "Verify integrity of game cache" via the options in the steam library. I also added a ticket yesterday for this issue.

Now I have done that the game loads with just a black screen, no sound or anything, just a black screen :(

On a side note, I would like to add a thanks for the support, it's more annoying that I want to play so badly lol and not mad at the devs, all help is appreciated and I'm aware this will take time to overcome these issues as an early release.

OK so I installed the game and tried to launch via steam, the little steam window flashed up and then closed. I then tried to load the game from the TKOM.exe and it told me I was missing the WMVCore.DLL. I already had that file on my system. I had this issue yesterday for a while so thought I would try find a new version of that file. I did, and it got me a little further when I loaded up the game via TKOM.exe with a new file that was missing, which was WMASF.DLL. I downloaded that file and did the install of it as required.

try reinstalling windows media player, maybe that will help

try reinstalling windows media player, maybe that will help

I'm on the N version of Windows 7. I don't have windows media player and the amount of times I've tried to download that from Microsoft and other sites, just doesn't happen. I'm also aware that the download for that for my version of windows is the Windows media feature pack, which just does not install at all, ever. It's annoying.

Give you an example http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=16546 That will NEVER install on my system. It simply hangs for hours, longest I have left it for was 10 hours and didnt move at all. Don't know why, just wont have it and so many others I've seen having the same problems with it as well on various forums. Seems like a dead end for that lol

Edited by Jalio

well to me it looks like a windows issue, not a bug in TOM. Reinstalling windows may be the best option. Or try to go to windows safe mode and try installing that media pack .

Sound like Windows problem .,ther are WMV`s in the install i think , have you tried mediaplayer classic ? it might give you the codecs you need possibly try and link the vids to open with it see if it work ?

Aso you can upgrade N version for free maybe get the professional version and then try add Windows Media player

In addition this giuy seemed to sort it out (media player ) maybe the file down the order helps

http://www.sevenforums.com/media-center/72608-cant-install-windows-media-player.html

Edited by Sealife

OK I'm going to try safe mode and I have just tried mediaplayer classic and still not luck with that. I looked at that link as well and that is the media feature pack for the 32bit, I'm on the 64bit. Windows 7 Ultimate N x64 is my OS.

Just to add to my last post, I said that this thing would never install, there must be a way but I meant so far it has never installed. I re-read it and it sounded a bit uhm yeh, the way I phrased it.

also try scanning the computer with some anitivirus software just to be sure. then maybe try doing windows update.

also try scanning the computer with some anitivirus software just to be sure. then maybe try doing windows update.

I'll do that now.

For the safe mode, it's a no go. It said it couldn't start the install in safe mode