Sign in to follow this  
dinoboy123

What to keep and what to delete when releasing a map?

I'm ready to release an unfinished prototype for my map to get some player feedback during the object placement project. Like any mapmaker who has put months and months of work into their project, I would like to retain as much control over my work as possible. Thus i'm a little nervous releasing my content without first discussing it with previous map makers. I looked through other maps such as namalsk, zargabad, but it was still somewhat confusing what is needed to release. I'm currently deleting and repacking the main pbo file to see what is and what isn't needed for the map to function in game, but guidance from veteran map makers is greatly appreciated!

-Thanks for all the help getting me this far guys!

-andrew

Absolute minimum files required for the map to run in-game...

"myproject.pbo" - when unpacked, should contain...

* "Data" Folder

Inside here should be all your groundtexture files - in .paa format - plus a "Layers" folder containing .paa versions only of all your sat & mask tiles + (binarized) rvmats)

* config.bin (binarized version of your config.cpp + cfgSurfaces.hpp and all your other .hpp's rolled into one)

* $PBO_PREFIX$ file (created by BinPbo - it's just a text file and should read "mytag\myproject"

* myproject.wrp (binarized version)

* texHeaders.bin (sneaky file generated by BinPbo to assist with texture loading times)

... and that should be pretty much all...

The "Source" folder which contains "working stuff" like layers.cfg, the actual one-piece Sat & Mask, original heightmap, etc should be excluded by BinPbo at the packing stage...

B

thanks for the outline! i'm currently having issues with binarization/packing since it seems to retaining certain files which i actually deleted (i'm assuming its because i made a copy of my map folder as the actual release version, while the original still exists with all the other content that continues to pop up in the .pbo)

One concern I still have is:

Is the wrp secure enough that no other person can access the map in visitor 3?

i'm currently having issues with binarization/packing since it seems to retaining certain files which i actually deleted

Try clearing the "P:\bin_temp" folder... BinPBO uses that folder as a workspace and it also tries to be clever and save time on subsequent runs, by "re-using" files from that temp folder if it thinks they "haven't changed" since the last time you binarized...

That can occasionally lead to "ghost files" appearing in the final packed addon...

Clearing the buffer and a fresh clean pack is always a good idea for a final "production version" of your addon.

Is the wrp secure enough that no other person can access the map in visitor 3?

Well... technically, it IS possible to unrap a .wrp to a .pew and then load that into Visitor - though it's generally discouraged apart from for "rescue purposes"...

B