Looks interesting this, would be very good to have in A3. Is it like Planet Explorers or Starforge, building wise, i.e. similar technique, or completely different style of construction ?:)

Hey nerdmod,

This is very awesome!

Congrats for being featured on PC Gamer!

Sorry, right now I don't have time to go through 6 pages to check if there's already an answer or something but:

It looks great! Have you thought about implementing a cost or something to place each object?

For that matter, congrats on being featured on RPS! Subscribed to this thread, hope to see a release at least soon. This is really cool.

Sorry, right now I don't have time to go through 6 pages to check if there's already an answer or something but:

It looks great! Have you thought about implementing a cost or something to place each object?

Watch the first page for answer...

Looks awesome, I remember you mentioning a supply system, would it be possible to add supply to a truck via a script and then have it drive the supplies for building to you? Would be a good way of going about it for military-base applications.

Also, do you think it would be possible to make a windowed wall where the window is higher up? It looks too low when up on the higher stories.

Just thought I would put together a quick video to show my recent progress... The announcement video didn't show foundation construction because I never had the proper mechanic in place. Now I do, all it needs is some fine tuning and further testing. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EqClrSgp-o&feature=c4-overview&list=UUD_TsnoNqqrtSfvm_FiYFnQ

Very nice! A little suggestion, though: is it possible to remove the "too high" thing? I think the foundation was still accessible most of the time.

Very nice! A little suggestion, though: is it possible to remove the "too high" thing? I think the foundation was still accessible most of the time.

Absolutely, and I'm inclined to agree with you...

All limitation mechanics will have on/off variables, as well as sensitivity variables. The max height at which the foundation can sit from the ground is determined by the height of the foundation model. I plan to double the height of the current model to ensure that the "Too High" limitation displayed in the video won't occur in future. Plus I need to tweak some values for better results. :)

- NerdMod

---------- Post added at 01:40 ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 ----------

Hey nerdmod,

This is very awesome!

Congrats for being featured on PC Gamer!

Thank you sir!

PC Gamer ? I only recall being featured on RPS... Maybe this is what you meant ? :)

Very nice work. Cant wait to see where you take it.

Is it possible to have pillars that do not connect into a foundation?

Is it possible to have pillars that do not connect into a foundation?

How wold you use them :confused:

EDIT: huts on water?

VERY impressive work there NerdMod and congrats on the RPS feature! With regards to the "Extension" function for keeping foundation pieces at the same height, are you considering including pillars in this function as a way around the height limit on foundations? Effectively allowing floor plates to be built out over steep terrain.

How wold you use them :confused:

.Taffy seems to have the same idea, they would be mainly used to allow building on/over steep terrain. Raised houses could also be built using the ramp as the entrance allowing for building over rocky terrain or even water as you suggested.

I see this project is developing well. Check out its website (NerdMod gives the link in his posts), there is even more info.

Last video was superb - it seems that author is aware of ARMA terrain/islands limitations and wants to cope with them in the begining.

I have one sugestion... I know that so far we only see early concept presentation but I would like to know in what direction building process will eventually go. Personally I would vote for creating the structure plan first (like on the videos but without actual object placement), player would then be given information what and how many resources are needed. He would have to gather and bring them to the construction site. Then the true building process could start. This would be more realistic and fun - I am not fan of so called big inventory pockets (like keeping 100 giant piles of wood in your backpack at one time).

Please continue to amaze us all :)

I see this project is developing well. Check out its website (NerdMod gives the link in his posts), there is even more info.

Last video was superb - it seems that author is aware of ARMA terrain/islands limitations and wants to cope with them in the begining.

I have one sugestion... I know that so far we only see early concept presentation but I would like to know in what direction building process will eventually go. Personally I would vote for creating the structure plan first (like on the videos but without actual object placement), player would then be given information what and how many resources are needed. He would have to gather and bring them to the construction site. Then the true building process could start. This would be more realistic and fun - I am not fan of so called big inventory pockets (like keeping 100 giant piles of wood in your backpack at one time).

Please continue to amaze us all :)

Hey iguanapl,

Thanks for taking the time to notify the community. I'm glad to see that my work thus far is doing justice and paying off. It's also nice to know that we have a common understanding in terms of why I'm focusing more time on the foundation mechanic. Realism has always been an integral part of development, but I'd also like to ensure that game-play isn't made too realistic. Real life can be boring and tedious so I want to make sure I keep things fun That said, I like your idea very much. It reminds me of a game I once watched the Yogscast play. I can't recall the name of it, but I think it was a Korean developed game and was in alpha/beta at the time. You had to collect resources before you could construct a pre-defined foundation. It looked fun and gave everyone a big goal to work towards in-game.

Obviously your idea is more technical and still allows you to choose where you want individual foundation modules to be placed. This method would take a lot more code and possibly would require a 'Claim Land' mechanic of some kind. I will definitely consider this for the future. In the mean-time, consider how the planning process would work from start to finish, and how foul play could interrupt the process, or possibly break the mechanic.

Thanks again,

- NerdMod

---------- Post added at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

Great update video man, and congrats on the "RPS" article..! :D

Hey Mesh,

Thanks, the RPS article stunned me... I didn't expect such coverage! :D

Hey iguanapl,

Obviously your idea is more technical and still allows you to choose where you want individual foundation modules to be placed. This method would take a lot more code and possibly would require a 'Claim Land' mechanic of some kind. I will definitely consider this for the future. In the mean-time, consider how the planning process would work from start to finish, and how foul play could interrupt the process, or possibly break the mechanic.

---------- Post added at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

Don't get me wrong. I don't want gameplay to be super realistic. I have analized the list of features that you want to incorporate into the final addon and give it a thought. The concept I have presented seems to be most logical and fun that I can think of. I just wanted to give my way of view.

I don't think that any 'Claim Land" mechanic as you have called it would be needed. The contours of the structure would be visible only to him or his team. If somebody would stand in the planned structure site there would be info (similar to those in your latest video) that something is interfering with the construction making it impossible to build. Player would have to 1) gently ask (probably by shooting ;) ) inferering thing to move making the building process available again; 2) cancel the construction site or 3) move it somewhere near.

Thanks to first stage (construction planning) player know what materials he will be needed so gameplay can focus on resources gathering cuz some goal of action have been created. It would also prevent patological in my opinion process of way too fast builiding that I called "You're shooting & I'm building" theory in which enemy has destroyed our wall and the player can rebuild it in few seconds - I know that long building time can be set to prevent it but still, I think that some more advanced logistics wouldn't hurt.

Don't want to expand my idea now cuz we both don't have time for it. Besides those things aren't a priority right now - construction interface etc. seem to be relatively simple matter comparing with monstrosities you have to face right now (like AI problems etc).

Thx for listening

And please call me Iguana :cool:

P.S. I think the game you mentioned is Sanctum 1 or 2...

This is awesome and so well done. It almost looks like it doesn't belong in a clunky ARMA game. Reminiscent of MINECRAFT. Will be following this and its possible positive implications.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want gameplay to be super realistic. I have analized the list of features that you want to incorporate into the final addon and give it a thought. The concept I have presented seems to be most logical and fun that I can think of. I just wanted to give my way of view.

I don't think that any 'Claim Land" mechanic as you have called it would be needed. The contours of the structure would be visible only to him or his team. If somebody would stand in the planned structure site there would be info (similar to those in your latest video) that something is interfering with the construction making it impossible to build. Player would have to 1) gently ask (probably by shooting ;) ) inferering thing to move making the building process available again; 2) cancel the construction site or 3) move it somewhere near.

Thanks to first stage (construction planning) player know what materials he will be needed so gameplay can focus on resources gathering cuz some goal of action have been created. It would also prevent patological in my opinion process of way too fast builiding that I called "You're shooting & I'm building" theory in which enemy has destroyed our wall and the player can rebuild it in few seconds - I know that long building time can be set to prevent it but still, I think that some more advanced logistics wouldn't hurt.

Don't want to expand my idea now cuz we both don't have time for it. Besides those things aren't a priority right now - construction interface etc. seem to be relatively simple matter comparing with monstrosities you have to face right now (like AI problems etc).

Thx for listening

And please call me Iguana :cool:

P.S. I think the game you mentioned is Sanctum 1 or 2...

How about this ? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX5SlPAhQ5Q&feature=c4-overview&list=UUD_TsnoNqqrtSfvm_FiYFnQ

Becareful to remember the mission placed and spawned objects are not so easy on the fps as the objects binarised to the terrain which are streamed from the hard drive .

I am sure you keep eye on efficiency but in my past I learned it can be limiting , try to not individualise were possible and even animate a shape larger rather than add two seperate objects , proxies can also be your friend but dont be deluded that these are not costly too.

Just some advice , ilook forward tp your mod

Really nice progress mate :) By the way I really appreciate you making this as streamlined and refined as possible, especially with the animations.

Just some advice , ilook forward tp your mod

I C WAT U DID THAR :D

It looks really nice. iBuild is also very catchy name.

Have you also considered going in opposite direction? I mean digging like option. I am not thinking about Minecraft like option - BIS terrain can't be changed but about in-game modification of existing object. For example by creating special object - lets say a huge rock in which player can dig a tunnel or a cave - of course the possibility of digging is highly stricted and oriented - player has little control, he doesn't have much options, he just choose from pre-defined corridor path.

I see various applications with this option - tunnels, caves or trenches (made in special pile of dirt).

What to do think about that :) ?

I look forward to see more of your work.:)

Edited by iguanapl

It looks really nice. iBuild is also very catchy name.

Have you also considered going in opposite direction? I mean digging like option. I am not thinking about Minecraft like option - BIS terrain can't be changed but about in-game modification of existing object. For example by creating special object - lets say a huge rock in which player can dig a tunnel or a cave - of course the possibility of digging is highly stricted and oriented - player has little control, he doesn't have much options, he just choose from pre-defined corridor path.

I see various applications with this option - tunnels, caves or trenches (made in special pile of dirt).

What to do think about that :) ?

I look forward to see more of your work.:)

Actually, DeanosBeano has a WIP video over on ArmAholic.com showing proof that you CAN change terrain in-game back in A2. I'm not sure if anything has been worked on for A3, but as far as digging tunnels or any sub-surface structures, I don't think it's available yet....if ever.

Actually, DeanosBeano has a WIP video over on ArmAholic.com showing proof that you CAN change terrain in-game back in A2. I'm not sure if anything has been worked on for A3, but as far as digging tunnels or any sub-surface structures, I don't think it's available yet....if ever.

Yeah, I remember he was working on something like that, but I think it was flat terrain-like object modicifation not real BIS terrain itself. Spooner was interested in this subject as well. Here is few videos.

I know that VBS2 has underground objects... Always wonder why BIS didn't incorporate this feature into ARMA.

Yeah, I remember he was working on something like that, but I think it was flat terrain-like object modicifation not real BIS terrain itself. Spooner was interested in this subject as well. Here is few videos.

I know that VBS2 has underground objects... Always wonder why BIS didn't incorporate this feature into ARMA.

I think like you say it was false terrain not real

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10695#comments