4 hours ago, das attorney said:

doing something wrong, or is there some sort of engine quirk with remoteExec??? 

most likely nil means null in this case, because 

nil remoteExecCall [.............

will be ignored in its entirety, thus never execute.

• Like 1

Thanks for clarifying that.  I'll update my code to this and check back in:

if (not isNull _grp
        and {[] isEqualTo units _grp}
    ) then {
        _grp remoteExecCall [
            "deleteGroup",
            _grp
        ];
    };

Good idea - things have moved on since I set up the code.

So doing this:

_grp = createGroup east;
_grp deleteGroupWhenEmpty true

Is same effect as this:

_grp = createGroup [east,true]

Presumably the "deleteGroupWhenEmpty" command is there for editor units?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, das attorney said:

I suppose

17 hours ago, das attorney said:

Thanks for clarifying that.

The .rpt message should say null instead of nil from next dev

• Like 1

19 hours ago, das attorney said:

Or just cases where you want to toggle the behaviour at a later point. Worth noting editor groups have an attribute to delete when empty (default unchecked)

On 29.5.2017 at 4:43 PM, R3vo said:

Can anyone explain to me how BIS_fnc_saveGame is supposed to return a boolean?

test = [player] call BIS_fnc_saveGame; //at the time it's executed, return value is BIS_fnc_kbisSpeaking, after saving happened, test becomes <NULL-script>

It would be nice if this function would return true if saving was successful and false if it wasn't (saving disabled)

The documentation is wrong. It doesn't return a bool.
It returns the handle of a `spawn`

Also can I politly ask in the name of the ACE guys for a command to override the _pilotBreak on vehicles? Basically something that can call "SetOverrridedPilotBrake".
This would make it possible for ACE to add the much requested Vehicle Towing feature and also have it be realistic.

*cough*

I already know it's easy to implement and it's currently the only thing that's keeping the ACE guys off of adding towing.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, dedmen said:

Also can I politly ask in the name of the ACE guys for a command to override the _pilotBreak on vehicles? Basically something that can call "SetOverrridedPilotBrake".
This would make it possible for ACE to add the much requested Vehicle Towing feature and also have it be realistic.

*cough*

I already know it's easy to implement and it's currently the only thing that's keeping the ACE guys off of adding towing.

+1 on this

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dscha said:

@dedmen Adding this to every Vehicle, would be far more useful.

Which is exactly what I said.

I could already implement a working script command using Intercept. But it broke between 1.68->1.70 and 1.70->1.72 and I'm very sure it would break again at 1.74 sooo. I would much prefer a in-engine solution.

Can't find where to create an account on Community wiki. Just wanted to add some examples to some of the BIS functions as they're severely lacking those in some cases.

It'd be great if you guys had a small shell / bash / anything script that parses an .sqf file's functions header for an ExamplesUrl relative path to the files where examples live either in separate files in a folder (fnExamples/) or in a class form.

This way, whenever you use exportBisFunctionsToCommunityWiki function (don't remember the exact name), those examples attached to each functions's header are also exported.

Another way, is to read the contents from the BIKI function pages and insert those contents into the respective function headers in the actual game files. This'd make things more dynamic as whenever someone updates an example on BIKI, the update will be visible, for instance, in tomorrow's new dev branch build.

This is just a nice-to-have feature for Arma scripters, ofc. Not demanding anything, just submitting a simplistic proposal as this functionality would make things much more streamlined for non-seasoned scripters.

P.S.: How does one log into Community wiki? Should I use the same credentials of my BIS account? That didn't work ;(

When I click WIKI login there is a help with login option when I click that there is a page that comes up with create account at top right.

13 minutes ago, f2k sel said:

When I click WIKI login there is a help with login option when I click that there is a page that comes up with create account at top right.

This page is on mediawiki.org

UPD. Also check this topic How to create a BI Wiki (BIKI) account?

17 hours ago, pedeathtrian said:

This page is on mediawiki.org

UPD. Also check this topic How to create a BI Wiki (BIKI) account?

This is an extremely confusing approach to this problem.

I know BIS has plans to link up the BIWiki accounts with the actual BIS platform account, so everyone can see one's precious contributions, etc., but the link-up is taking, IIRC, more than 1.5 year already...

I mean, as a full-stack web dev, if I was granted access to the source code of the system, I could implement a single button on the top right corner (in the main header) of the Community website to "Create new account" or "Request new account" that'd generate an email and send it to the person responsible for generating new accounts on BIKI. Of course, we'd have to validate the request for a new account with smth like Google's captcha to partially prevent bots, etc.

Anyways, this solution would be much more convenient in the meantime than waiting for the "sync".

• Like 2

On 6/23/2017 at 10:46 AM, killzone_kid said:

Why not set autodelete on the group and let the engine to take care of clean up? 

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/deleteGroupWhenEmpty

Oh this is a thing now?

I forgot to delete groups at one point in time in my mission and around an hour in, nobody's AI would spawn anymore and I couldn't figure it out at the time. Eventually I had figured out that there were a huge amount of groups with 0 units in them, at which point time I realized I need to manually clean them if everybody in the group dies. Guess this command would help with that.

5 hours ago, gossamersolid said:

Oh this is a thing now?

I forgot to delete groups at one point in time in my mission and around an hour in, nobody's AI would spawn anymore and I couldn't figure it out at the time. Eventually I had figured out that there were a huge amount of groups with 0 units in them, at which point time I realized I need to manually clean them if everybody in the group dies. Guess this command would help with that.

the createGroup alternative syntax is great too.

I recently stumbled upon this :

It's supposed to be in editor only, the above screen is actually a glitched mission.

Question is : anyone knows how to manually do this, so that foliage can be disabled during mission?

It looks uber cool, I wants it! bave.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, haleks said:

It looks uber cool, I wants it!

Unfortunately this has been fixed already. And before you say, it should have been kept, I agree, however all this does is it makes foliage transparent, the shadows and geometry remain as is. 

That's too bad. :(

Anyway thanks for the info KK!

3 hours ago, killzone_kid said:

Unfortunately this has been fixed already. And before you say, it should have been kept, I agree, however all this does is it makes foliage transparent, the shadows and geometry remain as is. 

Just being curious - basically, whenever the foliage becomes transparent, the scene is still unoptimized as hell as the geometry and shadows remain the same, right?
Are there any plans to make a more optimized version for this post-apo environment? Or maybe there's a way for the us to replace all the trees on a map with scary looking models?

On 6/30/2017 at 9:11 PM, fn_Quiksilver said:

the createGroup alternative syntax is great too.

Hmmm, just read it could take up to a minute to delete the empty group. While it's certainly more easy/elegant, if you already have a small snippet written in your unit killed EH function to handle it, then there's pretty much no point. I'm unsure why it cannot be instant. They could easily do the same thing we've had to do, but rather than using SQF, it could be at engine level.

Whatever, guess it's an easy alternative if you don't care about empty groups sitting around for up to a minute.

Can anyone confirm that BIS_fnc_establishingShot breaks the Zeus interface? If yes, any chance to prevent the function to be executed when display 312 is not null?