It just looks that way because of what it is and how it's written. Rewriting the same thing in SQF would look complicated as well, but maybe a bit more familiar because you're more familiar with SQF at this point.

Some things are impossible to do with SQF, some things are done differently. When/if the time comes, you'll get used to it and laugh at what you put up with in SQF. Think of it a bit like moving on from 2D editor to 3DEN. :)

I trust you, but I'm still scared.

• Like 2

Any chance get/setUnitloadout's functionality could be expanded to also save/restore the face, voice and unit insignia?

Any chance get/setUnitloadout's functionality could be expanded to also save/restore the face, voice and unit insignia?

This would need to be addressed by a function because face and voice are not part of the inventory but the identity, regarding the insignia, there's no engine support for it.

• Like 3

I like the new campaign functions, I am sure some mission editors will put those to good use.

However, some of the function headers lack certain infos.

BIS_fnc_EXP_camp_SITREP for example needs to be spawned instead of called, something like that should be mentioned in the header.

BIS_fnc_EXP_camp_setSkill on the other hand is missing a note, that it's taking current player count into account when calculating the final skill level.

Edit:

Another thing I noticed is, that BIS_fnc_EXP_camp_checkpoint uses the saveGame command when the function is executed in a SP environment. However, I recall that using saveGame alone could cause some issues because it's not checking whether it's save to save or not. Is that true?

/Edit: Woops, wrong thread.

Hi,

Does anybody know if the Apex factions will be available in the AI spawn modules.

Could we see some changes to BIS_fnc_EXP_camp_IFF?

Mainly allowing for different colors and support for dynamic addition of units?

This piece of code also bugs me:

private _name = switch (typeOf _unit) do {
	default                                {name _unit};
	case "B_CTRG_soldier_M_medic_F"    :    {localize "STR_A3_B_CTRG_soldier_M_medic_F0"};
	case "B_Soldier_TL_F"            :    {localize "STR_A3_ApexProtocol_identity_Riker"};
	case "B_soldier_M_F"            :    {localize "STR_A3_ApexProtocol_identity_Grimm"};
	case "B_soldier_AR_F"            :    {localize "STR_A3_ApexProtocol_identity_Salvo"};
	case "B_soldier_LAT_F"            :    {localize "STR_A3_ApexProtocol_identity_Truck"};
	case "B_Story_SF_Captain_F"        :    {localize "STR_A3_ApexProtocol_identity_Miller"};
};

Wouldn't it be easier to use setName/setIdentity in the apex campaign and keep it generic as possible for other content creators?

I've modified the script to get what I want it to do myself but it'd be nice to see it available to everyone: http://pastebin.com/ts0Zcb2h

Any chance BIS_fnc_EXP_camp_playSubtitles could accept an option parameter to define the colour, which is then transfered to BIS_fnc_showSubtitle? That way we could use this function for basically all known chat typts, vehicle, global, group etc.

Also, why didn't you automate the process of calculating the time each subtitle is displayed? I've done that in one of my functions by counting the words of each line and multiply it by a factor. This value is than taken as a sleep. Works splendidly.

• Like 1

Any chance BIS_fnc_EXP_camp_playSubtitles could accept an option parameter to define the colour, which is then transfered to BIS_fnc_showSubtitle? That way we could use this function for basically all known chat typts, vehicle, global, group etc.

Also, why didn't you automate the process of calculating the time each subtitle is displayed? I've done that in one of my functions by counting the words of each line and multiply it by a factor. This value is than taken as a sleep. Works splendidly.

Where did you find the documentation on new APEX camp. subtitle functions, etc.?

I suppose automated subtitle's time-to-live isn't reliable when the lines are voiced because intonation, speed of speech and other things differ depending on situation.

Automated subtitle time isn't necessary, because 1. if one voice file ends and the next one starts, the current text will be overwritten by the new one and 2. BIS always has audio files behind the text, therefore see 1.

There is at least one user created solution for this already, though (check the mission / script board section for that one thread). As alternative, you can do the same approach as I am using: Create 3 "silent" audiofiles (short, medium, long), then add them manually to your kbTell system depending on the length of the text. It's not the best approach, but at least you've got the basic system done and - if wanted - can replace it with real audio whenever you have the chance to do this, without having to rewrite the code.

I'll agree about the text color, though.

Where did you find the documentation on new APEX camp. subtitle functions, etc.?

I suppose automated subtitle's time-to-live isn't reliable when the lines are voiced because intonation, speed of speech and other things differ depending on situation.

The Functions Viewer in Eden.  The time to live is just a variable you set.  You tell it to play at 5 seconds and it'll play at 5 seconds.  This function is entirely separated from the text you type in or any sound files you might be playing at the same time.  It's just "in 5 seconds display:  Bob: 'hi!'".

Think of BIS_fnc_EXP_camp_playSubtitles as BIS_fnc_pretty_timed_titleText;

Automated subtitle time isn't necessary, because 1. if one voice file ends and the next one starts, the current text will be overwritten by the new one and 2. BIS always has audio files behind the text, therefore see 1.

There is at least one user created solution for this already, though (check the mission / script board section for that one thread). As alternative, you can do the same approach as I am using: Create 3 "silent" audiofiles (short, medium, long), then add them manually to your kbTell system depending on the length of the text. It's not the best approach, but at least you've got the basic system done and - if wanted - can replace it with real audio whenever you have the chance to do this, without having to rewrite the code.

I'll agree about the text color, though.

I wrote my own solution to this, works fine ;)

Would it be possible to add another parameter to BIS_fnc_holdActionAdd which would set the distance? Right now the distance is set to 15m which is way too much.

In the function the distance is set via ACTION_DISTANCE but this makro is set in the defines.hpp for whatever reason. This function has 14 parameters, one more wouldn't have hurt, would it?

Last but not least, when creating the wiki page for this function I noticed that the example in the function header is incomplete

[_target,_title,_idleIcon,_progIcon,_condShow,_condProgress,_codeStart,_codeProgress,_codeCompleted,_codeInterrupted,_arguments,_duration,_priority,_removeCompleted,_showUncon] call bis_fnc_holdActionAdd;

The red ones are missing. I understand that this is just an example, but I think I causes more confusion than anything else.

• Like 1

You can use _condShow for your distance limiter.

I know, but that's not the point. The distance parameter for addAction was introduced to prevent constant onEachFrame distance checks, so why go back to that now?

I know, but that's not the point. The distance parameter for addAction introduced to prevent constant onEachFrame distance checks, so why go back to that now?

Function vs engine command I guess?

The function should use the engine command. I think that was the point.

• Like 1

So far the only assumptions as to what it might/will look like are from the Take on Mars implementation, which you can see an example of here, and this tweet.

That would be awesome, sure SQF is fine but when you are used to C# and the likes this makes much more sense, would love it even more if it was to be strongly typed as well.

Regardless if they move over to a new language or not a proper and officially maintained IDE with autocomplete and syntax highlighting would be a dream come true! =)

I know, but that's not the point. The distance parameter for addAction was introduced to prevent constant onEachFrame distance checks, so why go back to that now?

The workaround I use is having a global boolean variable as the condition, then I update that condition's value elsewhere in a client side loop, say every 500ms. Takes away the performance issues of evaluating your conditions on each frame.

• Like 1

I would like to request a command, lbTooltip, to get the tooltip of a listbox entry?

Is there any way via script commands or as an addOn to disable that horrible zoom out when you're going faster?

This has been bugging me since alpha came out.

It makes no sense to zoom out the view when going fast, since it makes it harder to tell what's going on in front of you without manually zooming back in a bit to fight this weird behavior.

There's no need for increased peripheral view when you're driving the hatchback down some road going 200km/h.

Driving a car or riding a motorcycle you usually get more focused on what's going on in your general direction of travel. Those cows on the meadow really don't matter at that point.

Now doing this for passengers too is just pure madness.

Picture one is at full stop, picture 2 is at normal blackfish travel speed.

0OIa6UQ.jpg

uqdbPbd.jpg

This zoom out even happens to everyone in the vehicle.

It's bonkers.

Cheers

• Like 9

this is indeed a terrible "feature". it doesn't help with the feeling for speed and is distracting and with my game settings it makes it impossible to read aircrafts instruments...

• Like 3

It would be nice if we could override the SoundPlayed EH (like most EH) and prevent said sounds from being played.

Rigth now there's absolutely no scripted solution to disable breathing/injured sounds and such.

Does anybody know if it's possible to include custom fonts and use them in controls? I'd be awesome to use something like font awesome to do UI "images" which scale correctly rather than bitmaps.

Also I'm going to keep bringing this up - We need commands to set fill colours and brushes for the new polygons we can draw. We finally got the ability to draw polygons and detect objects within the polygon, but we didn't get a full set of drawing abilities to match the other shapes we have...