Is there anyway to control a vehicles friction via scripting commands? Something like setWheelFriction and getWheelFriction?

The lack of control over friction is what stops, things like ice, sand, rainwater and the VBS3 style turnout maneuvers from becoming reality. And also getting stuck in the mud.

I know the command surfaceType can be used to determine the name of the surface you are on.

Edited by ProGamer

I know the command surfaceType can be used to determine the name of the surface you are on.

Only the terrain surface at the specified 2D coordinates, not the surface you are actually standing on. Standing on a concrete pier that has sand under it will still return sand.

Is there a reason class ScrollBar was renamed to ListScrollBar within some controls (CT_LISTBOX, CT_CONTROLS_GROUP, etc.) and is this change going to be merged into stable?

Only the terrain surface at the specified 2D coordinates, not the surface you are actually standing on. Standing on a concrete pier that has sand under it will still return sand.

That's not a problem. Just use lineIntersectsWith to check for objects under your feet. Or, better yet, you could start by checking if your unit is at terrain level, and if that returns false proceed to check for any objects that you might be standing on (you could be falling, for instance).

That's not a problem. Just use lineIntersectsWith to check for objects under your feet. Or, better yet, you could start by checking if your unit is at terrain level, and if that returns false proceed to check for any objects that you might be standing on (you could be falling, for instance).

Yes, you can even eliminate falling easy with "isTouchingGround", which returns true for standing on terrain and objects. But if you plan on altering friction depending on surface that would mean you are going to end up assuming identical friction for all objects, sand humps, piers, wooden bridges, metal building surfaces, etc.

It would be much better if there was a command to get current surface parameters from .bisurf files like friction, roughness, dust, etc. There are plenty of commands already that are gimped in usefulness by not having their logical counterparts, like setCenterOfMass and whatnot.

Yes, you can even eliminate falling easy with "isTouchingGround", which returns true for standing on terrain and objects.

Didn't know that; thanks for the tip.

It would be much better if there was a command to get current surface parameters from .bisurf files like friction, roughness, dust, etc. There are plenty of commands already that are gimped in usefulness by not having their logical counterparts, like setCenterOfMass and whatnot.

Oh, for sure! No argument from me. We certainly do need many more commands that allow us to read and modify various physics simulation properties. Even where there are workarounds, they're usually elaborate and cost a lot more CPU resources than having one native SQF command handling the task.

Sorry, but selectWeapon is likely to be broken.

generic code such as:

_unit selectWeapon "throw"; 
_unit fire ['HandGrenadeMuzzle', 'HandGrenadeMuzzle', 'HandGrenade'];

Works perfectly fine on v1.08 STABLE, but fails on current DEV build 113567, with no grenade being thrown. Just tested.

Yeah definitely does not work for me with _unit selectWeapon "Binocular"; either.

selectWeapon is definitely broken at the moment, in the dev build anyway.

Could you please create that already mentioned ticket on Feedback Tracker and attach there a repro mission? I think it is the fastest way how to find out what is broken. Thanks :)

Could you please create that already mentioned ticket on Feedback Tracker and attach there a repro mission? I think it is the fastest way how to find out what is broken. Thanks :)

Here you go DarkDruid : http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16783

I tested my repro demo that's attached to my report, in Arma 2, and it works perfectly but not in Arma 3.

According to Killzone_Kid's notes on the report selectWeapon is actually working but its defaulting back to the weapon the unit is holding in a split second, with no animation or pause.

So does that mean its a problem with the connection between the animation and selectWeapon or is it still a selectWeapon only problem ?

Something is definately broken though, isn't it ?

Here you go DarkDruid : http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16783

I tested my repro demo that's attached to my report, in Arma 2, and it works perfectly but not in Arma 3.

I wasn't able to reproduce it before, because I have tried it on player. Thanks for the repro mission, we will look at it.

Can you guys look at making some commands to get ammo count for magazines in the inventory?

As per this KK ticket, there's no Arma 3 equivalent to the old getGearSlotData and setGearSlotData commands in Arma 2.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16780

Thanks.

Ticket reassigned to the right person. But I'm not sure when he gets some time for this, he is occupied by something else right now.

Ticket reassigned to the right person. But I'm not sure when he gets some time for this, he is occupied by something else right now.

Thanks - as long as it's on the radar then I'm a happy camper.

Bit of a strange issue but it seems that cameraEffectEnableHUD doesn't work if your own unit is dead, you have to switch the camera to first person on an alive unit for cameraEffectEnableHUD to work. Is there any chance of fixing this as it breaks spectator scripts that rely on drawicon3d (or have a bool to allow drawicon3d to work without the hud)

I am often reaching the particle count limit and I was wondering if it would be possible to have a command to increase or disable this limit when needed? On a related note and if increasing the limit is not possible, it would be nice to be able to disable temporarily the default particle effects like the building destruction dust as they use a lot of particles. For instance if you create an explosion script, which destroys some buildings and produce a particle effect, it is likely that a part of the explosion will disappear because the dust from the destruction effect makes the particle count reach the limit.

I am often reaching the particle count limit and I was wondering if it would be possible to have a command to increase or disable this limit when needed? On a related note and if increasing the limit is not possible, it would be nice to be able to disable temporarily the default particle effects like the building destruction dust as they use a lot of particles. For instance if you create an explosion script, which destroys some buildings and produce a particle effect, it is likely that a part of the explosion will disappear because the dust from the destruction effect makes the particle count reach the limit.

You can change particle limits in config by mod. Limits are defined in CfgVideoOptions >> Particles. I guess it can be useful for testing, but I would recommend to use current limits for effects distributed publicly to community. A lot of particles in scene can cause huge frame rate drops.

One more thing - there is hard limit defined directly in the engine. You shouldn't be able to have more than 20 000 particles in scene (even with limits in config set to more than 20 000).

You can change particle limits in config by mod. Limits are defined in CfgVideoOptions >> Particles. I guess it can be useful for testing, but I would recommend to use current limits for effects distributed publicly to community. A lot of particles in scene can cause huge frame rate drops.

One more thing - there is hard limit defined directly in the engine. You shouldn't be able to have more than 20 000 particles in scene (even with limits in config set to more than 20 000).

that is some great info. thanks a lot for that!

hi,

I have troubles with snakes triggering a scripted function of mine just as if they were true agents (who, if I understand correctly, can only be persons, and even team members).

I'd like to have my snakes behave discreetly, without being detected by my team. Is that possible ? I wrote the following function to filter all the ambient life following their maximum height and volume. I you try it out, you'll see that snakes' boundingBoxes have the same height (2m) and volume (7.04 m3) as humans. Is this normal ? If it is, could that be changed ? Reducing height drastically would help a lot. Thanks in advance.

Here is the function. Just copy/paste it in an init.sqf, spawn as player and find a snake :

sleep 0.5;

waitUntil {!isNull findDisplay 46};

(findDisplay 46) displayAddEventHandler ["KeyDown", "_this call Test_fnc"];

Test_fnc = {

_NearestObjectsList = nearestObjects [player, [], 20];

//hintSilent format ['%1', _NearestObjectsList];

FilteredList = [];

for [{_iy = 0}, {_iy < count (_NearestObjectsList)}, {_iy = _iy+1}] do {

_L1 = boundingBoxReal (_NearestObjectsList select _iy) select 0;

_L2 = boundingBoxReal (_NearestObjectsList select _iy) select 1;

maxW = abs ((_L2 select 0) - (_L1 select 0));

maxL = abs ((_L2 select 1) - (_L1 select 1));

maxH = abs ((_L2 select 2) - (_L1 select 2));

call compile format ['NolBBoxVol%1 = maxW * maxL * maxH', _iy];

call compile format ['Volume = NolBBoxVol%1', _iy];

if (maxH > 0.5 and Volume > 0.7 and !((_NearestObjectsList select _iy) in FilteredList)) then {FilteredList set [count FilteredList, (_NearestObjectsList select _iy)]};

hintSilent format ['%1', FilteredList];

if (Volume > 0.7) then {

player sidechat format ['Object : %1, maxH : %2, Volume : %3', (_NearestObjectsList select _iy), maxH, Volume];

};

};

};

Seems there're some changes for rsccombo entries in the latest dev branch, old entries no longer recognisable like class ScrollBar (replaced by comboScrollBar), new entry added like SoundExpand etc. So it's appreciate if devs can list those tiny changes in GUI in each dev update as well so we can be kept track with you. It's unconvenient to check errors with game complaint.

btw, it should be nice if anyone can update the a3 resource a little bit: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/DialogControls-Combo

thanks.

Edited by ffur2007slx2_5

Can I not do addUniform from the server-side yet?

EDIT: It seems addItem doesn't work from the server-side either...

Please tell me I'm missing the global commands somewhere and that this is not STILL an issue that was brought up multiple times in alpha.

Edited by GossamerSolid

Can I not do addUniform from the server-side yet?

EDIT: It seems addItem doesn't work from the server-side either...

Please tell me I'm missing the global commands somewhere and that this is not STILL an issue that was brought up multiple times in alpha.

I think removeuniform being global is more of an issue than adduniform being local, as removeuniform is the only 'remove' command that is in fact global while everything to do with inventory has always been local. I've had to retool my loadout scripts (which i'm still having issues with) due to removeuniform being global meaning if someone jips they usually will make everyone lose their uniform

I think removeuniform being global is more of an issue than adduniform being local, as removeuniform is the only 'remove' command that is in fact global while everything to do with inventory has always been local. I've had to retool my loadout scripts (which i'm still having issues with) due to removeuniform being global meaning if someone jips they usually will make everyone lose their uniform

How the hell is this still an issue... these things were pointed out seriously in the first alphas when we all got used to the new clothing system.

Come on BIS...

Since you're expanding the turret scriptcommands: Can we also have addWeaponTurret and removeWeaponTurret commands?