i feel like the setDir command is broken. or at least doesn't function how one would think.

this becomes very evident if you look at a simple example.

while flying a plane use this command

vehicle player setDir (direction vehicle player);

the setdir command is broken imo because it

sets the direction, ok that's good i told it to set the direction

sets velocity to 0, why does it do this i only told it to set direction

resets vectordirandup why does it do this i only told it to set direction

the setdir command should be called setdirandresetvelocityandvectordirandup

i feel like this command needs a update.

ylguf, While the behaviour of setDir isn't the best, I never had problems with it, if you apply the positioning commands in the right order. The vectorDirandUp works also fine with setDir. If you want to maintain the velocity (or speed, depends if you want to maintain the velocity vector), just save the speed just before, and setVelocity just after.

also, changing the command (it has been the same since OFP) would break all scripts that use it.

Here is a somewhat large list of scripting commands that are listed (set as related) on this ticket: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16310

I would like to make it clear that adding scripting commands does not affect players and mission makers negatively.

---------- Post added at 02:59 ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 ----------

I am referring to this ticket for more environmental control over the ocean. http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16290 Plagued by down vote trolls over something they don't even care about. People should be open to discussing things, down votes are meaningless without discussion or reasons why.

Also, when are the unfinished event handlers coming? http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=14964

Edited by ProGamer

Here is a somewhat large list of scripting commands that are listed (set as related) on this ticket: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16310

I would like to make it clear that adding scripting commands does not affect players and mission makers negatively.

---------- Post added at 02:59 ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 ----------

I am referring to this ticket for more environmental control over the ocean. http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16290 Plagued by down vote trolls over something they don't even care about. People should be open to discussing things, down votes are meaningless without discussion or reasons why.

Thanks for putting the time and effort in creating these tickets, ProGamer. Upvoted all of them. Seeing the downvotes is distressing as it demonstrates that there is a significant minority within the community who don't understand - or understand, but want to subvert - the core ARMA philosophy of moddability and customizability. If you're going to downvote requests for increased SQF functionality because you would like to turn this game into a homogenized and centralized experience as governed solely by the developer, then, with all due respect, you need to find yourself a different game (there are a number of quality titles in that vein to choose from).

Thanks for putting the time and effort in creating these tickets, ProGamer. Upvoted all of them. Seeing the downvotes is distressing as it demonstrates that there is a significant minority within the community who don't understand - or understand, but want to subvert - the core ARMA philosophy of moddability and customizability. If you're going to downvote requests for increased SQF functionality because you would like to turn this game into a homogenized and centralized experience as governed solely by the developer, then, with all due respect, you need to find yourself a different game (there are a number of quality titles in that vein to choose from).

Thanks! :)

You can also check out this thread here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169016-Looking-at-VBS2-for-scripting-commands-for-Arma-3 Dealing with VBS scripting commands.

I just notice that displaying the cinema border causes all crosshairs or cursors to disappear. Is that intentional or is it a bug ? I'm used to play with both crosshair and a switchable cine border and this is annoying as hell.

I was also thinking of a mod that would prevent your AI teammates to foolishly trap themselves into enclosed areas, but it looks like fences aren't even identified in the objects list anymore. Again, is it just me or is that intentional ?

Thanks.

I was also thinking of a mod that would prevent your AI teammates to foolishly trap themselves into enclosed areas, but it looks like fences aren't even identified in the objects list anymore?

What do you mean by "objects list"? Pretty sure we can still return fences - along with all other non-class, map objects - using the nearestObjects command. See Rübe's comment on the command's wiki page.

Anyone know what's the status of the BIS_fnc_unpackStaticWeapon and BIS_fnc_packStaticWeapon functions? They seem to be throwing some generic errors.

What do you mean by "objects list"? Pretty sure we can still return fences - along with all other non-class, map objects - using the nearestObjects command. See Rübe's comment on the command's wiki page.

LineIntersectWith returns all types of objects between the player and his teammates, but fences are not in.

Moreover, the cinematic border now also prevents from opening both map and inventory. This simply ruins my gameplay. Is all this mess supposed to be an improvement ?

LineIntersectWith returns all types of objects between the player and his teammates, but fences are not in.

Moreover, the cinematic border now also prevents from opening both map and inventory. This simply ruins my gameplay. Is all this mess supposed to be an improvement ?

Are you sure that fences aren't in it just because the actual chain link is just a 2d mesh with no depth? Usually line traces don't collide with those.

Try hitting the fence post with the LineIntersectsWith.

Are you sure that fences aren't in it just because the actual chain link is just a 2d mesh with no depth? Usually line traces don't collide with those.

Try hitting the fence post with the LineIntersectsWith.

Damn, you're right ! Fence post is responding. Thanks for the tip !

:o

As I've never tried anything along the lines myself, it's not clear to me how you used to play with the cinema border active, but looking at BIS_fnc_cinemaBorder (you can also find it within the editor function viewer) I see that all of those in-game UI elements are indeed specifically disabled by the script. You could probably write your own cinema border script that doesn't disable any of those things, no?

2 questions, one of which is scripting related:

- Is there a way to create a texture that has a negative effect on a specific object's rendering when rendered in front of it? Currently, you can have a texture rendered in front of another object and it just renders over it (eg on-screen markers) and the rest of the screen. I want to reverse the effect and only on one specific object. Is this doable?

- Is there a way to check the height of the terrain offset (for "grass" concealment at a distance) at a given location?

If these two things are possible, the "grass rendering" ticket can be modded fairly easily.

As I've never tried anything along the lines myself, it's not clear to me how you used to play with the cinema border active, but looking at BIS_fnc_cinemaBorder (you can also find it within the editor function viewer) I see that all of those in-game UI elements are indeed specifically disabled by the script. You could probably write your own cinema border script that doesn't disable any of those things, no?

I had actually written a little Cine border ON/OFF function months ago and got used to put it in every mission I play (I should make an add-on with it btw). I went back to arma yesterday after several weeks and saw the function was broken. I posted in a bad mood, but you're right : i'll check out if I can modify the new script.

Regards,

Unless I'm doing something wrong, it looks like this doesn't work when it should.

I placed a unit in the editor and added this to his init field:

this addWeapon "laserDesignator";

Then I did a preview and checked my weapons array using this:

_weapons = weapons player;

hintSilent format ["%1",_weapons];

and the return hint listed that I had a laser designator.

But then when I tried using this:

_weapons = weapons player;

if ("laserDesignator" in _weapons) then
{
   hintSilent "You have a laser designator.";
};

it doesn't seem to be recognizing that I have a laser designator.

Could anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks.

Please create a ticket on Feedback Tracker for this feature.

If these two things are possible, the "grass rendering" ticket can be modded fairly easily.

As far as I know, you are not able to fix this by script commands.

Could anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

It is case sensitive. Laser designator in that array is "Laserdesignator", but your string in condition is "laserDesignator".

Edited by DarkDruid
Added some other answers.

It is case sensitive. Laser designator in that array is "Laserdesignator", but your string in condition is "laserDesignator".

Thanks for that.

Quick question: when i call something like:

getNumber(configFile >> "cfgWeapons" >> _weapon >> "maxRange")

it always returns 500 (meters) for most BLUFOR weapons, such as MX variants (includind machinegun) and sniper rifle.

I think it does not make sense.

Is this value overriden by something else, e.g. cfgMagazines config ?

Edited by fabrizio_T

Hey, Fabrizio: you need to pull the "maxRange" numbers from the AI firemode sub-classes found within the respective weapon class. Try, for instance:

getNumber (configFile >> "cfgWeapons" >> _weapon >> "far_optic2" >> "maxRange")

Ed: A few examples of some other possible AI firemode classnames: "Single", "FullAuto", "close", "medium","single_far_optics2", etc.. Keep in mind that not all are defined for every weapon.

Edited by Make Love Not War

Hey, Fabrizio: you need to pull the "maxRange" numbers from the AI firemode sub-classes found within the respective weapon class. Try, for instance:

getNumber (configFile >> "cfgWeapons" >> _weapon >> "far_optic2" >> "maxRange")

Ed: A few examples of some other possible AI firemode classnames: "Single", "FullAuto", "close", "medium","single_far_optics2", etc.. Keep in mind that not all are defined for every weapon.

Ok, thank you.

Can anyone tell me whats changed, selectWeapon doesn't seem to be working anymore for Binoculars in the script example below.

_unit = _this select 0;

_hasBinocular = false;

sleep 1;

{
   if (_x == "Binocular") then 
   {
       _hasBinocular = true;
   };
       sleep 0.01;
} forEach weapons _unit;

if (!_hasBinocular) then {_unit addWeapon "Binocular"};

_unit selectWeapon "Binocular";

if (true) exitWith {};

Can anyone tell me whats changed, selectWeapon doesn't seem to be working anymore for Binoculars in the script example below.

Attached script works fine for me. Are you sure, that there isn't any error in other scripts in your mission? If you won't be able to find any error in your scripts, then please create a ticket on Feedback Tracker with precise repro or better with your broken mission. Thanks

Attached script works fine for me. Are you sure, that there isn't any error in other scripts in your mission? If you won't be able to find any error in your scripts, then please create a ticket on Feedback Tracker with precise repro or better with your broken mission. Thanks

Sorry, but selectWeapon is likely to be broken.

generic code such as:

_unit selectWeapon "throw"; 
_unit fire ['HandGrenadeMuzzle', 'HandGrenadeMuzzle', 'HandGrenade'];

Works perfectly fine on v1.08 STABLE, but fails on current DEV build 113567, with no grenade being thrown. Just tested.

Sorry, but selectWeapon is likely to be broken.

generic code such as:

_unit selectWeapon "throw"; 
_unit fire ['HandGrenadeMuzzle', 'HandGrenadeMuzzle', 'HandGrenade'];

Works perfectly fine on v1.08 STABLE, but fails on current DEV build 113567, with no grenade being thrown. Just tested.

Yeah definitely does not work for me with _unit selectWeapon "Binocular"; either.

selectWeapon is definitely broken at the moment, in the dev build anyway.