Sign in to follow this  
WCG

Any old farts playing Arma 3?

NO.

Seriously, how you gonna make the 50's/60's/ 70's yo's feel if your an old fart. That would make them ancient farts and that's just not right.

Ha! Ha!. It's relative. Ask teenagers that question.. I would think they would say yes. From my perspective no..

---------- Post added at 14:45 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

BZ was my first true love as well at the Top Rank (rollerdisco) club in Reading. Happy happy times. Couldn't quite program my ZX80 to that standard though.

Rgds

LoK

Disco...? Damn, I forgot about that. We used to burn those records.. Anyone remember this?

1979 Disco Demolition Night

Commodore 64 to start. It still amazes me just how much could be packed into 64K of ram, they don't write optimised code like that any more!

And to address the OP's question, if 45 is an old fart (some days I feel 90), then yes. If by play you mean test out scripts in the editor.

Same here: I'm also a 47 yr old commodore 64 vet.

First pc was a 386sx with 4 x 256kb of ram: those were the ms-dos days of using himem and loadhigh to be able to just have enough memory to run flightsim game like Falcon 3

Ha! Ha!. It's relative. Ask teenagers that question.. I would think they would say yes. From my perspective no..

---------- Post added at 14:45 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

Disco...? Damn, I forgot about that. We used to burn those records.. Anyone remember this?

1979 Disco Demolition Night

HAHAHAHA....yes, I love it. Disco Sucks (spoof off of Disco Duck). I remember that movement....it was great. Bruce Springsteen kept Rock alive during that period....then the 80's Metal Explosion came upon the scene due to Led Zeppelin / KISS being the forerunners. The rest is history....until Rock died in the 90's. :( Springsteen is still trying to give it CPR.

Edited by rehtus777

My fellow clanmate has turned 67 years 2 days ago and he started playing this game but went back to BF3 because he had to much trouble grasping the difficulty that this game has (his words).

Perhaps if I tell him you do not have any problems playing it I can convince him to come back and give it another shot :)

Same here: I'm also a 47 yr old commodore 64 vet.

First pc was a 386sx with 4 x 256kb of ram: those were the ms-dos days of using himem and loadhigh to be able to just have enough memory to run flightsim game like Falcon 3

haha memories!!! SMARTDRV 512 :p

There is a great mix of all ages here. Love it! Can not stand playing on the juvenile hold-your-hand-treat-me-like-I'm-14 console systems anymore.

Too many great things about ArmA to list here. More mature and sophisticated group of awesome people all helping each other.

It's a hobby all onto itself. I design, build, and tinker more than I actually play I think. Just turned 39 this year. Addictive at any age! :thumb:

Edited by Goblin

I'm 51 and have been computer gaming since pong. I got hooked on this game with OFP and played Arma and Arma2.

I'm from Canada, there are a couple Canadian clans that use the Canadian mod that have been released since Arma 2 now available for Arma 3. I tried to join a couple times but never got a response despite advertising that they were recruiting. I suspected it was age discrimination (yes that was a question asked).

oh well.

I'm 51 and have been computer gaming since pong. I got hooked on this game with OFP and played Arma and Arma2.

I'm from Canada, there are a couple Canadian clans that use the Canadian mod that have been released since Arma 2 now available for Arma 3. I tried to join a couple times but never got a response despite advertising that they were recruiting. I suspected it was age discrimination (yes that was a question asked).

oh well.

Well, if any clan is doing that, then it wouldn't be worth joining. Don't worry, when they get older, what goes around, comes around.

My fellow clanmate has turned 67 years 2 days ago and he started playing this game but went back to BF3 because he had to much trouble grasping the difficulty that this game has (his words).

Perhaps if I tell him you do not have any problems playing it I can convince him to come back and give it another shot :)

What difficulty is he talking about? If it's eye-hand coordination, well, I'm terrible at 'real-time' combat, but you don't have to be good to have fun (especially if your clan isn't overly serious). If it's his eyes, I know what he's talking about, but there are always scopes. If it's the learning curve, well, that just takes time, with any game. And at our age, it's probably good to learn new things.

Maybe the rest of you are just too good at this game? He needs to play with me. :p

I tried to join a couple times but never got a response despite advertising that they were recruiting. I suspected it was age discrimination (yes that was a question asked).

It happens, but I'd assume incompetence, rather than malice - especially when it comes to the Internet. I know I miss emails sometimes, and certainly PMs.

But either way, if you're Canadian, you'll be in the same time zones as the States, so come play with us. :)

Bill

57 on the outside and my wife would probably say a kid on the inside. Been playing computer based games since 1971 believe it or not...first games we played, we wrote in basic and ran on a dialup connection to an early IBM mainframe from our High School computer room. Programs were stored on punched paper tape and fed into a tickertape type reader attached to a yellow paper teletype ;) yeah--Dinosaurs roamed outside the computer lab ~LOL~

57 on the outside and my wife would probably say a kid on the inside. Been playing computer based games since 1971 believe it or not...first games we played, we wrote in basic and ran on a dialup connection to an early IBM mainframe from our High School computer room. Programs were stored on punched paper tape and fed into a tickertape type reader attached to a yellow paper teletype ;) yeah--Dinosaurs roamed outside the computer lab ~LOL~

All that and you guys had not even invented the wheel yet :P

Heh heh.. we had 'em but it took forever to carve a new one if one broke :cool:

Didn't Tim Leary invent the wheel back in the '60s..., or was that the unicycle?

........... early IBM mainframe from our High School computer room. Programs were stored on punched paper tape and fed into a tickertape type reader attached to a yellow paper teletype ;) yeah--Dinosaurs roamed outside the computer lab ~LOL~

My parents were IBM'ërs. I remember those cards. My dad has a stack of them now and uses them for notes.

My parents were IBM'ërs. I remember those cards. My dad has a stack of them now and uses them for notes.
Yepper--I still have a couple boxes around somewhere. The 80 column ones have more real estate for notekeeping but the 96 column ones fit nicely in your shirt pocket :D

In school however we actually used a roll of paper tape that was about an inch and a half wide if memory serves. A decent size program could be the size of a kids little red wagon wheel or a wheelbarrow wheel when rolled up!

Those early days were fun but today's tech is just so much more useful. A smart phone has more power than a room full of mainframe from 1971 and I can store more than the entire contents of that IBM and everyone's programs who used it for a year on one thumbdrive

Lovin' it!

its all relative... :) i was on a server the other night and decided to jump on there TS....im pretty sure I am the same age as there parents ...lol (46) some things are timeless WCG...like when we are 18 we want an 18 year old girlfriend and when we are 80 we STILL want an 18 year girlfriend :cool:

creepy

Kidding

surely when I reach that age I'll be playing (I'm 21 now)

and I will wanna a 16 gf (in my country is ok =p)creepy²

Believe it or not, there is a formula for deciding on the age-appropriateness of younger girlfriends :)

Half your age + 7 years.

You're welcome :)

Believe it or not, there is a formula for deciding on the age-appropriateness of younger girlfriends :)

Half your age + 7 years.

That's what I'd heard too....... broken it a couple of times though.....;-)

39 here! started playing computer games at age of 10 on a MSX (playing 3dbomb where you had to wait the game to load from a Compact Cassette tape!) then moved to my mothers PC with 1mb of video memory or something like that on those green screens monitors! Then she got a 286, 386.....lol I can still skateboard 8 stairs....so i guess i can play arma until gets to arma 10 with and all its bugs!!!

Soon we will need a walker mod! ;)

What difficulty is he talking about? If it's eye-hand coordination, well, I'm terrible at 'real-time' combat, but you don't have to be good to have fun (especially if your clan isn't overly serious). If it's his eyes, I know what he's talking about, but there are always scopes. If it's the learning curve, well, that just takes time, with any game. And at our age, it's probably good to learn new things.

Maybe the rest of you are just too good at this game? He needs to play with me. :p

It happens, but I'd assume incompetence, rather than malice - especially when it comes to the Internet. I know I miss emails sometimes, and certainly PMs.

But either way, if you're Canadian, you'll be in the same time zones as the States, so come play with us. :)

Bill

That is very kind of you to offer. I would be interested in playing with you guys in the future.

thanks

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

Half your age + 7 years.

Lol when its all said and done what kind of conversation would I have with a 28 year old woman.

I'm dating a younger woman now....she's in her 40's. That's as young as I dare to go. :)

Lol when its all said and done what kind of conversation would I have with a 28 year old woman.

Your round Luv!!! :p

I was born seven days before Pearl Harbor was bombed, I will let the math and history wizards figure it out (71 for the impatient). I have been part of the same gaming community since 2009 and Arma is the only game I play online, it is the only place I am not old and slow, where a scoped weapon and a 27" monitor is a must.

Damn that is so awesome!!

My wife don't think its so awesome, in here screaming at a monitor a the top of my lungs. When I had Track IR with the little lights on my hat and me moving my head all over the place well, she was ready to call the home and have me committed. I sold it.

..snip..When I had Track IR with the little lights on my hat and me moving my head all over the place well, she was ready to call the home and have me committed. I sold it.

Sold mine, couldn't get the hang of it, got neck ache too..;)