Sign in to follow this  
WCG

Any old farts playing Arma 3?

I was born seven days before Pearl Harbor was bombed, I will let the math and history wizards figure it out (71 for the impatient).

OK, now this is what I wanted to hear! I'm very glad there are so many of us old farts playing Arma 3, but I was beginning to think I was the oldest and the fartiest. (Well, the word's still out on the latter, I guess.)

I have been part of the same gaming community since 2009 and Arma is the only game I play online, it is the only place I am not old and slow, where a scoped weapon and a 27" monitor is a must.

I never played Arma 2, so I have a lot of learning to do in Arma 3. But, like you, this is the only multiplayer game I play, and I know exactly what you mean by needing a scoped weapon and a large monitor!

I must say, I've been surprised by the response to this post. It was a spur-of-the-moment thing, and I didn't expect so many replies.

Bill

Hi, another old fart checking in here, was 54 on July 7th last month and if anything after over 20 years of PC gaming I'm more hard core and dedicated than ever, though PC Flight Simming is my main genre.

I owned the first Arma, played the RS games to death when I was only on dial up with a good crowd then oddly as we all got broadband that we longed for we sort of grew apart after getting the bandwidth and pings we always dreamed of!!!

I'm very rusty in this type of playing but glad to be in on the Beta of Arma 3 and really like what I see so far.

Great thread :cool:

I laughed when I saw the title...it made me think of something that happened to me a few years ago. I was in a store checking out the stand for any new games, and I noticed an elderly couple (definitely in their 80s (at LEAST)) looking at the games. I figured that they were looking for a game for their grandkids or something and went over to see if I could help. At the time, I was playing BFBC2, the game they were looking at. I told them that I played it and really liked it. The man turned to me and told me that he REALLY liked the game and was thinking of buying it for his son to play. He went on to say "Oh yeah...WE play it all the time. I'm bodybag (something) and my wife is bodybag (something else)". I about fell over! I didn't think that anyone over 60 would be playing games like these. I'm only 55, still alive and hope to be playing these games until they plant me. I love ArmA 3 (can't wait for them to fix the bugs n stuff).

Hi, another old fart checking in here, was 54 on July 7th last month and if anything after over 20 years of PC gaming I'm more hard core and dedicated than ever, though PC Flight Simming is my main genre.

I owned the first Arma, played the RS games to death when I was only on dial up with a good crowd then oddly as we all got broadband that we longed for we sort of grew apart after getting the bandwidth and pings we always dreamed of!!!

I'm very rusty in this type of playing but glad to be in on the Beta of Arma 3 and really like what I see so far.

Great thread :cool:

56, flight siming got me into gaming in the mid '90s, cfs 1 & 2 --flying "Cliffs of Dover" right now.

WWiiOL? ..., what a game at its height. Air Warrior..., both 56k online.

"America's Army" got me ground-pounding in '02-3. --upgraded from a TnT to a Ti4200 gfx. (still using the ti4200 in a pc for web-browsing).

Back then, i thought we'd be in a pc combined-arms online Nirvana by now....

Alleast Arma is still working towards the dream.

I'll be pc gaming til they pull my joystick from my cold, dead hand.

46 here.....and I thought I was one of the older farts playing ArmA 3 :p.

Started playing Pong in the 70's .... Then Atari and Commador 64 / 128 in the 80's. Eventually, I bought a PC and Flight Simulator / Doom were my games of choice in the 90's. In the 2000's, it was the World War 2 games (battlefield 1942, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, etc....love the WW2 games). But then I ran into a guy playing on BFBC2 and he turned me on to ArmA 2 and I've never looked back. ArmA 3 is incredible and it makes all other fps pale in comparison.....and this is only Beta on little Stratis. Altis is going to be epic....and ACE and ACRE are the cherry on top.

I laugh at all the spoiled kids who complain about some little glitch in the game and then say, "This game is junk".....HAHAHA.....maybe they need to play Pong or Flight Simulator when it looked like boxes and squares or they should play Doom 1 .... Then they could appreciate where we are at today. Finally, most of us were into pinball, board games, and playing in the great outdoors before the silicon chip.

Aim High (Air Force .... 1984 to 1992).

Edited by rehtus777

I laugh at all the spoiled kids who complain about some little glitch in the game and then say, "This game is junk".....HAHAHA.....maybe they need to play Pong or Flight Simulator when it looked like boxes and squares or they should play Doom 1 .... Then they could appreciate where we are at today. Finally, most of us were into pinball, board games, and playing in the great outdoors before the silicone chip.

They should also try out the notion that whatever you bought in the shop - that was it. No patches, fixes or upgrades, what you bought you were stuck with, bugs and all :D

Although, it seemed to me there were very few bugs back in the day.

Although, it seemed to me there were very few bugs back in the day.

Yeah, why was that :confused:

LOL, you can almost remind me of anxious PS4 promoters here ... See See see, the are all Grandads, the PC is dead, PS4 is future.

:yay:

The 54 and 71 yr old gents make me have faith in that little voice in my head that said I will still like gaming even in a few decades.This thread is just pure win!!!!
\

I am also big into MMO's....lol

Gnat;2458797']And thats when I got my Vic20 !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_VIC-20

My first game machine if you ignore a pong machine :D

.... and I still have it in the garage!

yeah I got my trusty Spectrum 48k somewhere in storage... and all the tapes I bought for it. Also my Amiga, although not the A500 I originally bought. I upgraded to a A1200 when it came out & gave the A500 away.

*sob*

My Intellivision system (Mattel) is in it's original box and still works, great for it's time.

Boy this thread takes me back. Started at 7 years old with Magnavox Odyssey > Atari 2600 > ColecoVison > Nintendo Nes > Commodore 64 > Sega Saturn > Playstation > PS2 > PC builds exclusive. Geez, just realized Im a true video game addict as I remember them better then old girlfriends!

Funny how I always dreamed of the day our home consoles could match the hi-res and audio boom of the arcade's Asteroids, Defender, Joust and Space Invaders..

Boy this thread takes me back. Started at 7 years old with Magnavox Odyssey > Atari 2600 > ColecoVison > Nintendo Nes > Commodore 64 > Sega Saturn > Playstation > PS2 > PC builds exclusive. Geez, just realized Im a true video game addict as I remember them better then old girlfriends!

Funny how I always dreamed of the day our home consoles could match the hi-res and audio boom of the arcade's Asteroids, Defender, Joust and Space Invaders..

+1

Water went up my nose while drinking when I read this post......laughed really hard. :D

Commodore 64 to start. It still amazes me just how much could be packed into 64K of ram, they don't write optimised code like that any more! Then I progressed to an Amiga500 then 1200, which was just technically so far ahead of the x86 boxes of the day.

And to address the OP's question, if 45 is an old fart (some days I feel 90), then yes. If by play you mean test out scripts in the editor.

On the weekends a few of us get together to play Arma 3 or Arma oa just depends. I'm 43 some are older others are younger.

I want to say we are a mature crowd but...........?

Dev version of A3 is what we run or Arma oa.

xx-Team-xx A3 US Server

I remember going to Skegvagas (Skegness) and playing (probably) the best video game ever, called Galaxian.

Near to Prague, there is a video game museum. You pay to get in, and every arcade machine is available to play free from there.

In it, I found the only 4 arcade games I ever had any interest in:

Space Invaders

Galaxians

Asteroids

Battle Zone

Near to Prague, there is a video game museum. You pay to get in, and every arcade machine is available to play free from there.

In it, I found the only 4 arcade games I ever had any interest in:

Space Invaders

Galaxians

Asteroids

Battle Zone

Battle Zone was a great game. I remember playing that at the Enlisted Club at MCAS El Toro sucking down brews.

Battle Zone was a great game. I remember playing that at the Enlisted Club at MCAS El Toro sucking down brews.

I think it was the fist game I ever saw that was presented in 3D. OK, it was still a "2D" game, presented in flipped-axis 3D, but the future was written :)

does 35-ish count as an old fart ?:singer:

NO.

Seriously, how you gonna make the 50's/60's/ 70's yo's feel if your an old fart. That would make them ancient farts and that's just not right.

I think it was the fist game I ever saw that was presented in 3D. OK, it was still a "2D" game, presented in flipped-axis 3D, but the future was written :)

BZ was my first true love as well at the Top Rank (rollerdisco) club in Reading. Happy happy times. Couldn't quite program my ZX80 to that standard though.

Rgds

LoK