Sign in to follow this  
WCG

Any old farts playing Arma 3?

Lol, I thought it was I just appreciated the more mature woman. Now I know it is just me getting older.

41, been playing games since my dad brought home a ZX-81.

Mate, that's me on both counts!! My Dad actually stuck the ZX81 to a square piece of board lol. Oh that keyboard!!!

ZX81.jpg

And I had the 16K (yes that's right, 16 KILOBYTES of extra memory). Oh the memories :D

I turn 45 in a few... yay :|

"Listen children, back in the day when i fought in the war... on Stratis..." :D If there is such thing as retirement before death in the future for my generation that is :eek:

Well I'm almost 29 but I sure act like gramps.Throughout the years I keep telling a friend of mine a scene that I remembered quite well since OFP,it usually goes like this: "Goddamit Tony,I was running away with this npc from a town that we've been ordered to evacuate on Malden because rusky tanks were coming in.In a split second this virtual teammate gets blasted by a T-80 shell from a hill opposite the town.

I've never run so fast like on that day afraid that the tank will tore me apart(aka I've pressed hard the forward key)."

By the time I finish he is already looking at me like this:plain: and saying that I've already told this story a hundred times over about that "military game".

Wow, reading this made me feel better. I now know I am not alone, hit 41 this year.

Well I'm 31 but sometimes feel like I am 12 :rolleyes:

I don't know if it's the right forum for this, but I was just wondering if there are any old farts playing Arma 3. Any other old farts, I mean. I'm 62, myself.

I've been playing with a handful of people from Not-Quite-Dead-Yet.com, but despite the name, the guy who runs it is only in his early 50's. Just a youngster, in other words. I don't think he understands what getting old is even like. (Then again, my 87-year-old mother tells me the same thing.)

Anyway, I was just curious. I don't normally play multiplayer games,* but I played a few MUDs and such, years ago. Even then, I was inevitably the oldest player. But there have got to be gamers out there older than I am, don't you think?

There are no age restrictions at Not-Quite-Dead-Yet, but it's aimed at players in their 40's and 50's, I think. And they seem to think that's old. Well, not from my point of view. So, purely for my own curiosity, I thought I'd ask about any other old farts playing this game (or other games, for that matter).

If so, I hope you aren't as inept at it as I am. :p But the people I play with don't seem to mind, and it's still lots of fun.

Bill

* I've been retired for seven years, so I have lots of time to play computer games - especially in the winter - but I mostly play single-player games. Arma 3 is the exception, because you're not just playing with random strangers all the time. At my age, I don't know anyone locally who plays computer games, and it really makes a difference when you can play co-op with people you like.

<<<43 been playin series since OFP(early 30's) Did'nt play 1st game online til late 20's Novalogic series an 1st BF until I happened to stumble upon GOTY OFP--changed everything. I'll be 80 an kickin it in the rockin chair playin still 8)-

Edited by Call_911

What the hell,we have so much 40+ guys in this community :D,i am 24 and my love for gaming is already dying :D

LOL! 43, here, with a wife and two little kids, and I game about three hours a day! New to the Armaverse, though, so that 3 hours has now been spent editing the heck out of my own missions and having a blast! Great fun, this game.

I just turned 54, started gaming back in the 70's.

I think if you remember the ZX81, you automatically qualify for 'old fart' status! :D

So I qualify! my first computer was the brown brick...the C=64 :)put a cassette tape in the deck, go away and have some dinner, maybe watch some tv, come back and the programme would be ready...Dang, we've come a long way!

42 btw...

What the hell,we have so much 40+ guys in this community :D,i am 24 and my love for gaming is already dying :D

I'm 44, and I rarely buy or play new games. I would never buy a gaming console.

But this series is something unique, from Cold War Crisis to Arma 3. It does something that other war related games just can't do.

It appeals to even a pacifist oldie like me.

I really have to force myself to act like sensible adult after an exciting battle I made with the fantastic mission editor, or after some totally unpredictable multiplayer session which some else did. Even just making AI fight AI and watching it as a bystander civilian is fun.

The mission editor is such a big part of it and the reason why you can play these games for years, while other games eventually get boring.

(..And we older dudes can play Arma(version number here) without losing our "street credibility", because it is "serious", provides "intellectual challenge" and "simulates things".)

Edited by Azzur33

I'm only a 33 year old kid, but I came to the understanding that as older as the player is, the better team player he is.

I salute to old gamers!

52 here and still a big kid. Been playing simulations since the old vic 20 lol ;)

I don't think Centipede qualifies as a simulation :p

I don't think Centipede qualifies as a simulation :p

Yeah, but what a game that was!! I doubt the younger generation on here would agree mind!

I'm 21 and been gaming since the late 90's. I also hate these young folks and spend my days on my front porch with my ol' trusty Garand :o

Nah, power to the older generation(s) :)

Yeah, but what a game that was!! I doubt the younger generation on here would agree mind!

Well the 5 minute load time from tape would be a killer :o

the guy who runs it is only in his early 50's. Just a youngster, in other words. I don't think he understands what getting old is even like. (Then again, my 87-year-old mother tells me the same thing.).

Ha! Bill... You need to listen to your mother. :)

Age is relative thing. In comparison to you, probably not. In comparison to a teenager. I surely do. In comparison to what I use to feel like 20 years ago. I know for a fact. So even though I am a youngster in mind, my body is surely not with the program. Even at 52, I have my laundry list of medical issues, as well as other aspects as family dies off, including friends, threats of being laid off ( even though companies don't admit and hard to prove - older employees to get targeted for reduction in force). Trying to save for retirement... etc. All of this which is a part of life and getting older.. :).

I hope you aren't as inept at it as I am. :p

Come on... You are not as inept that you claim to be. Maybe that is senility kicking in .. :)

it really makes a difference when you can play co-op with people you like.

OMG -- We were not so sure of this.. Bill actually liking people. :)

Seriously, we do look for players that may be around our age group, but not a requirement. People tend to gravitate to certain groups or something in common.

Anyway, Bill was the model for the domain name and group name. :yay: :rolleyes:

Of course in future, as generations grow older, video gaming will not be necessarily be an activity that trends to a younger crowd.

Yes, I did have a pong console, and played with Lawndarts and clackers .. LOL

I just turned 54, started gaming back in the 70's.

Holy crud!

Good to know I'm not alone with using my real pic as avatar :p

I'm 44, and I rarely buy or play new games. I would never buy a gaming console.

But this series is something unique, from Cold War Crisis to Arma 3. It does something that other war related games just can't do.

It appeals to even a pacifist oldie like me.

I really have to force myself to act like sensible adult after an exciting battle I made with the fantastic mission editor, or after some totally unpredictable multiplayer session which some else did. Even just making AI fight AI and watching it as a bystander civilian is fun.

The mission editor is such a big part of it and the reason why you can play these games for years, while other games eventually get boring.

(..And we older dudes can play Arma(version number here) without losing our "street credibility", because it is "serious", provides "intellectual challenge" and "simulates things".)

Now i guess that some people here owe me some respect :D

Holy crud!

Good to know I'm not alone with using my real pic as avatar :p

I thought, if the OP can do it, so should I...;)

I was born seven days before Pearl Harbor was bombed, I will let the math and history wizards figure it out (71 for the impatient). I have been part of the same gaming community since 2009 and Arma is the only game I play online, it is the only place I am not old and slow, where a scoped weapon and a 27" monitor is a must.

Edited by SeaTrane

I was born seven days before Pearl Harbor was bombed, I will let the math and history wizards figure it out (71 for the impatient). I have been part of the same gaming community since 2009 and Arma is the only game I play online, it is the only place I am not old and slow, where a scoped weapon and a 27" monitor is a must.

I bet you are damned good player too... :)

The 54 and 71 yr old gents make me have faith in that little voice in my head that said I will still like gaming even in a few decades.This thread is just pure win!!!!