Sign in to follow this  
Smurf

The sound thread

Sound mods can only expand on the current sound engine, they can only add via scripts extra soundscapes such as internal reverb/distance/echo etc but they still wont sound right until the engine is fixed or updated. Just because you add a script doesn't mean it will work as the creator intends, modders know it currently just don't sound right. JSRS Or SpeedOfSound or any other sound mod for that matter will not change this as it stands.

As an example I have 2 scripts running, both are totally bugged because of flaws in the game code, my whole idea for a new take on my sound mod is on hold because of a broken class, I was ready to release at beta but now I cant as my mod is again incomplete.

Its really this simple mods can only be as good as the engine itself.

The thing I don't like the most is this strange echo of gunshots, like you are in a big room. Altis is mostly flat, so such echo shouldn't exist imo.

i think theres too many gunshot snaps... snap snap snap snap snap ohhh shut uppp

Sometimes even if you crouch and stay still, you can still hearing your annoying footstep sound. Also I cannot hear gun fire from 12.7 sniper rifle +200m away as if it has silencer on it.

Sometimes even if you crouch and stay still, you can still hearing your annoying footstep sound. Also I cannot hear gun fire from 12.7 sniper rifle +200m away as if it has silencer on it.

That happens when you're in the 'upper' crouched stance.

I've not read this whole thread, not yet anyways, but the sound is one of the thing about this game that's bothering me most. Not only in the quality of effects but the balancing of levels of different things, I mean some things sound way too loud and some way too quiet. For example that beeping when you lock on with a Titan launcher is ridiculous, there is no need for it to be so loud. Does anybody else think this or is it just me?

Oh and

I would expect this for a low budget game not form BIS who know what they are doing.

Are you sure this isn't a low budget game? Because there are some things about it that make it seem like one.

Edited by clydefrog

Couple of things I noticed whilst playing tonight. Was the lack of bullet impact debris whilst under incoming fire. As mentioned above the snap snap etc seem very isolated without the debris e.g. walls,dirt.... Still the lack of reverbs/early reflections when firing indoors and built up areas. Some of the footsteps seemed quite boomy and unnatural at times. Walking on wooden floor boards without creaks and strains. Walking up steeper hills no debris stone slides or scuffs of boots. The explosions are still a little bit Hollywood IMO.

I think they have used explosion sound effects for the tank cannon firing, also the gun on the jet, seriously, what is that. Really good job there is JSRS because without it...

I haven't checked lately but last time I did there were flaws in the basics of the sound system. Like volume and hearing distance not working correctly for config sounds. If the basics are buggy you cannot expect a good sound balance. I might be wrong too but reading the comments I suspect bugs are still there.

Also lot of sounds need manual amplification tuning, for example some footsteps have internal amplification of 0.9 some other 0.1, setting the same config volume for them will lead to a high difference in output.

Regarding the actual weapon sounds, there are a few that were 'improved' in previous updates that I just don't like now. I really liked the MX sound in the Alpha, but then they 'improved' it, mainly by adding the sound of the working parts, and now it just sounds off. I don't know if it's the bolt sound that did it, or something else they mixed in, but I think it was better before they changed it. Same goes for the heavy MG and GMG sounds.

And please BIS, change the ACP back to how it sounded when it was first added. A couple of updates ago it was 'improved' and now it sounds like someone coughing. The others I mentioned may just be down to personal preference but the new ACP sound is simply bad.