Sign in to follow this  
Smurf

The sound thread

Is it just my sound card or has anyone else heard all the cutting sounds while driving the panther and kamysh?

Greetz

Well thanks but that vid is preety old, like two months :D Indeed it sounds much better than vanilla though :)

BTW. Check Advanced Combat Sound Environment. It is not just a sound mod. It is an extension to the sound engine that some of the ACE devs are working on with zGuba probably. It will be released for A3.

I got to ask, is the sound you hear when clicking on buttons broken? It seems to cut out short and make a small popping noise because of it.

To tell you the truth, both the button sound or "menu selecting" sound (both attached to the 'Music' volume for some reason) is quite annoying when using the mission editor for a long period of time.

BTW. Check Advanced Combat Sound Environment. It is not just a sound mod. It is an extension to the sound engine that some of the ACE devs are working on with zGuba probably. It will be released for A3.

Where is that? I always liked ACE sounds, they were always pretty neat and realistic without too much "hollywoodish" reverb. As for JSRS, the "indoor" sound for hand weapons should be added in the game engine, so everybody can create an "indoor" version without scripting overhead.

I got to ask, is the sound you hear when clicking on buttons broken? It seems to cut out short and make a small popping noise because of it.

Yep, same here. Sonds broken to me. And too quiet - I guess because it's attached to the music volume (I didn't know that).

Where is that? I always liked ACE sounds, they were always pretty neat and realistic without too much "hollywoodish" reverb. As for JSRS, the "indoor" sound for hand weapons should be added in the game engine, so everybody can create an "indoor" version without scripting overhead.

Here you go: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?121844-Advanced-Combat-Sound-Environment-WiP-Thread

Erhm... I didn't say this will be compatible with other soundmods. How would it be? It adds a lots of new conditions with their respective seperate sound files. DSS could be used with other SMs because it was basically just about mixing a seperate echo / trailoff over the "base" firing sound. What I said is that other soundguys from the community will be able to use ACSE engine to create their own dynamic soundmod. :)

Currently I'm preparing to move it under A3 engine because of the better possibilities.

BTW it goes much further than indoor sounds. Sound PP will allow to experience better soundscape, the "bang" sound as well as reverb, echoing is caused by environment - in different environments it will sound different.

Edited by fragmachine

I just wanted to say that I find the vanilla silenced weapon sounds, explosions and heli minigun sounds not very well.

The standard rifle sounds are neat. But at least the silenced sound is really terrible=(

I couldn't agree more. The current movie-like sound suppressor effect is disappointing. I was hoping that is was just a place holder since it sounds exactly like in Arma 2.

JSRS will be all we need. I hope the ACE team does not develop a sound mod again, they should do their core business because with JSRS we are well served :D

I am curious how was the new lightning sound recorded? It sounds nothing like lightning where I live, more like an offroad crashing into a building :)

seriously they should just employ LordJarhead....(JSRS) jesus the game would be better off.

seriously they should just employ LordJarhead....(JSRS) jesus the game would be better off.

Only good thing about the mod is the echoes and bullet snaps. Every other sound is (recording quality wise) quite poor.

JSRS will be all we need. I hope the ACE team does not develop a sound mod again, they should do their core business because with JSRS we are well served :D

Then you seem to not understand what the modding is. It is about creativity.

You probably never heard about Advanced Combat Sound Environment. It goes deeper than sound mod. It is sound engine extension for the ArmA sound engine that allow soundmodders to make their own dynamic soundmod. If you play ArmA II CO try it with JSRS 1.5 + HARCP DSS and you will get understanding what im talking about. ACSE is going to be much more advanced than HARCP.

Mate mods can ONLY extend what is already in the sound engine, extra scripts can also only enhance. Jarhead will no doubt be experiencing what others and I have experienced thus far that the sound engine is a long way from finished and modding it like is is almost next to futile. A sound mod is NOT the cure to a semi developed sound engine.

Mate mods can ONLY extend what is already in the sound engine, extra scripts can also only enhance. Jarhead will no doubt be experiencing what others and I have experienced thus far that the sound engine is a long way from finished and modding it like is is almost next to futile. A sound mod is NOT the cure to a semi developed sound engine.

Big point for that. The work made by LordJarhead with his mod, and other mods, is amazing, but they are still based on a basic sound replacement. And that's because the engine is really limited. I want to create my own functions and effects, and i want make my own attenuation functions and echo engine. But for now ...

Arma 3 did improve the sound engine (adding filters and stereo sounds) which JSRS 2.0 is planning to use.

Arma 3 did improve the sound engine (adding filters and stereo sounds) which JSRS 2.0 is planning to use.

The sound engines billed improvements are currently not working/finished but more importantly what filters? & how will stereo sounds be beneficial for the game?

Stereo sounds are something that are already in games for X years so it is nothing new. In ArmA series for sure but it has drawbacks besides the graphics and unique gameplay. Before someone says about BF3/4 being unrealistic - I don't talk about gameplay. Listen to that sound engine, I think something like BF Bad Company 2 sound engine would be possible to adapt by a dedicated sound team (with tweaked distance sound obviously). Im not here to bash anyone but I talk about facts. While stereo sounds and filters are nice - it is nothing new, groundbreaking in the game industry. Well, screw "the groundbreaking" - it has to be said that sound engine is not on pair with games from 2010. Sound samples are really top notch but you can hear how they struggle when these are processed by the sound engine. Sound flanging is one of the major immersion killers in here.

BTW. Maybe in ArmA 4 <troll_mode_off> :p

Edited by fragmachine

BF3's game play samples are mono, menus and such probably stereo or maybe 5.1.

The engine does the converting to stereo or 5.1 for game play. Slapping stereo files in is bad practice, it means the game engine has to do needless converting back to mono. Placing stereo in for helicopter for example means that it will be difficult to tell where it is when you cant see it as both left and right channels will be played left and right, this type of artifact doesn't happen when using mono. 99% of the major audio engines use mono, such as FMOD etc etc.

The only place practically to use stereo samples would be with a custom sound engine designed for that, which BIS have but, as the dev team have said themselves trying to combine with EAX is where these issues are occurring.

IMHO...

Sound mods shouldn't have to resort to EHs in order to make things work. Eventhandlers work but they are a far from an ideal implementation due to the scripting overhead.

You guys shouldn't berate ACEX_SM too much either. Some of the weapon sounds may have been iffy, but it had the overall best (audio) quality samples by far.

Hi hellfire,

Form what I can tell comments about ACEX_SM have all been complimentary. Its the core's sound engine we've been talking about.

Anyhow what you said is exactly how it is, sound mods shouldn't be seen as replacement of necessity. They should be for fun, but the core engine is currently lacking the commands etc to do things mods do (with great time and difficulty) which is the biggest shame. BIS should bite the bullet and by a mainstream sound engine :p

Edited by Bigpickle

Hi hellfire,

Form what I can tell comments about ACEX_SM have all been complimentary. Its the core's sound engine we've been talking about.

Anyhow what you said is exactly how it is, sound mods shouldn't be seen as replacement of necessity. They should be for fun, but the core engine is currently lacking the commands etc to do things mods do (with great time and difficulty) which is the biggest shame. BIS should bite the bullet and by a mainstream sound engine :p

I think it copped some flack because it just wasn't realistic, unlike the rest of the mod. The sound samples and quality were great, as were the explosions, but the guns (the meat of this game) sounded simply strange and the bullet cracks were plain odd.