Sign in to follow this  
Smurf

The sound thread

Did they fix the 5.1 and 7.1 issues?

I'm still on vacation in Croatia and can't check it myself.

I really hope they fix this until the "full release"

A 2013 game without 3D Sound would really look riduculous.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Did they fix the 5.1 and 7.1 issues?

I'm still on vacation in Croatia and can't check it myself.

I really hope they fix this until the "full release"

A 2013 game without 3D Sound would really look riduculous.

Since the sound of a videogame is one of the three crucial elements to create the experience, I took a closer listen to the weapon samples as they are in Arma 3 right now. Much of the critique goes into very fine details which many probably haven't even noticed yet but nonetheless they are present and fixing them greatly increases the quality and experience.

• The XM series sample have a very quiet cut-off at the end where it doesn't fade completely.
  • Multiple samples of the P07 have a quiet deep beep sound in the background with one of them having a strong cut-off.
  • Rook has been nicely improved. Sounds much more powerful now
  • A sample of the ACP has a similar deep, bass sound like the P07 which starts right after the crack.
    The SD version uses the rifle sample. Needs to be changed!
  • One LRR sample has a cut-off artefact
  • The MK200 has a quiet metallic rattling after the crack. Not sure if that’s supposed to be there with so few metal going on due to the caseless ammo
  • The Katiba has a delayed mechanical sound on the left channel
  • The SDAR has a cutoff discrepancy/artefact as well
  • The reverb for the TRG sounds too much artificially echoed. It actually sounds like the two channels are slightly shifted and out of sync
  • The Zafir, well, I really hope it’s a placeholder. From all the weapons, this has the weakest and worst sounding sample while it' actually one of the most badass guns! Unfortunately the sound is ruining the experience and impression. The crack, the reverb, it’s all not right.
  • One of the MK20 samples contains quiet remains of wind during the fade-out.
  • Placing e.g the slammer mine, explosive charge or claymore causes a strange bass-beeping at the beginning.
  • The problem with the satchel sample is that the same sample of falling debris can be heard crystal clear over a large distance.
  • The mixing of the previous 40mm cannon and HMG sample for the crack should be reversed. The autocannon sounded much more authentic previously. Same goes for the BTR 30mm cannon. The high pitched crack shouldn't be there.
  • The new sound concept for the DAGR rockets is very nice however the sound itself sounds like it's coming from a very small engine (rather a firework missile) and not a powerful rocket. The "indoor" filter could be used to create a
    for the cockpit

Have a re-listen again PP (using headphones), but this time listen out for how the bass layer on almost all weapon firing samples overdrives the sound the destruction. Listen first on the ebr, once you hear it and you know what your listening for, you'll hear it on almost every handheld weapon.

Is the audio bug with Blackfoot AI gunners only playing a sound on the initial cannon shot known? I've had it since the beta landed, but I just watched Jester814's new video

and he doesn't seem to have it at all. I thought it was a universal thing.

Essentially, if the Blackfoot has an AI gunner, the only cannon audio played on bursts is the audio of the first shot. There is also no audio for round impact, just the sonic crack.

Also voice audio (open fire; hold fire; target ... etc) in the Blackfoot cockpit get's severely muffled (as if it's subject to the same filter as any other audio outside the cockpit). This is kind of random though, sometimes you can hear your orders perfectly, sometimes it sounds like your voice is outside of the chopper.

Really sorry if any of this has been mentioned, I went back 4 or 5 pages in this thread and didn't see anything, but it does seem like the right thread.

Have a re-listen again PP (using headphones), but this time listen out for how the bass layer on almost all weapon firing samples overdrives the sound the destruction. Listen first on the ebr, once you hear it and you know what your listening for, you'll hear it on almost every handheld weapon.

I hear that man. I think they're pushing too much on the 0 - 90Hz range imo. Playing A3 and listening to the sounds makes me think that it isn't mixed as a whole. Seeing as the sounds aren't dynamic based on position of listener to source, imo it should be mixed to accentuate bass on explosions and rifle fire should be more about the middle range. It feels too much like listening to a beating tom-tom drum when guns are on autofire.

So sorry, please excuse my last post. I'm putting it in the troubleshooting thread.

Forgive me if I am repeating anything here but my biggest issues with the sound are:

1. Explosions, not enough variation, really lacking in terms of length and bass or any sense of concussion.

2. Incoming gunfire. This was really lacking in Arma 2 and still is, incoming fire sounds either like sharp snaps or whistles, in-game is sounds like a small pop. JSRS 1.5 did a pretty decent job with it, but IMHO still lacked the variation that is present in reality.

On further testing and contemplation: Reloading

Other people/ Players Reloading: It's just so wrong, too loud and coming from everywhere. Needs total reworking. I actually think the source file is mistakenly in Mono mode rather than stereo because I have never heard a reloading noise that doesn't sound right in front of me.

As far as overall volume: Examples (from what it seems) a Player reloading 100m away sounds much louder than someone firing an assault rifle 300m away. That is just way off.

Also a point to note is that while the doppler is getting better its still way to harsh, by this i mean the whole top end is lost through doppler at too closer ranges.

Hmm that sounds interesting - arma would have more usage of that than dayz , maybe someday we will get it too

So the latest stable update changed the sounds of the ACP and Rook pistols. The ACP now sounds really weird to me unless I'm wearing headphones. This has been a problem for me since the alpha - I lose so much of the soundscape if I'm listening through speakers. If I'm not wearing headphones, I can hardly hear any of the environment sounds like birds, wind, cicadas. And now the ACP sounds weirdly muffled if I don't use headphones. Anyone else have this problem?

So the latest stable update changed the sounds of the ACP and Rook pistols. The ACP now sounds really weird to me unless I'm wearing headphones. This has been a problem for me since the alpha - I lose so much of the soundscape if I'm listening through speakers. If I'm not wearing headphones, I can hardly hear any of the environment sounds like birds, wind, cicadas. And now the ACP sounds weirdly muffled if I don't use headphones. Anyone else have this problem?

Do you have a 5.1 or 7.1 System?

The more I play the more I feel that there's absolutely no depth in a ranged firefight. Fighting across the valley of Agia Marina is just dull since you can't even hear a 30mm gun from across the valley. Are we to guess where shots are fired from and how am I supposed to locate a sniper that's more than 500m away when I can't even hear from which direction he's shooting?

The more I play the more I feel that there's absolutely no depth in a ranged firefight. Fighting across the valley of Agia Marina is just dull since you can't even hear a 30mm gun from across the valley. Are we to guess where shots are fired from and how am I supposed to locate a sniper that's more than 500m away when I can't even hear from which direction he's shooting?

Heruon, any chance you make simple sample mission which showcase this problem, create Feedback tracker ticket with it and post here url?

Well, the lower link in my sig is to a ticket for this exact issue and I think there's a repro mission in there. Thanks!

I agree and it affects all calibers of weapon. I think this is the main issue why I still think A2:OA have much better sound scape and immersion. Below is a link to another simple example, just engage the enemies on the other side of the valley and listen. All you can hear is the bullet cracks and some ricochets in the rocks/ground.

http://keycat.no-ip.com/files/A3B_Gun_Fire_Distance.zip

Will add it to FT as well...

/KC

I can´t understand the developers needs repro missions to understand whats here described (distant sounds). Its too obvious.........we need soundmods :p

I can´t understand the developers needs repro missions to understand whats here described (distant sounds). Its too obvious.........we need soundmods :p

Because they understand more than we do...

Ok thanks for explaining because I was in the same boat as Jhubert

its obvious my crap english that you misunderstood what i mean:p

For example most explosions sounds similar since ofp: like a short earthquake. Do you need a repromission to realize this? But thats enough flame from me.....gunshots are very nice in arma3 for example.

What I'm saying is they have tools that we don't have. That repro mission will give a kind of benchmark for the reporter to retest if the issue is fixed. Or you can dismiss me as a BIS fanboy.

Anyway, about the surround sound, I think it's still not fixed, or I just realized the issue. I'm using a stereo headphone and force a virtual surround using the SoundBlaster control panel. (I'm using SB recon3d pciE), But last night I opt to disable the virtual surround and realize the game sound already 3D, meaning it's already 3D surround sound even with stereo setup. So for me, using a stereo headphone I feel blessed. But for those that using 5.1 or 7.1 setup, maybe not so much. So I guess that's what those people that using surround setup are saying...

cheers

I agree and it affects all calibers of weapon. I think this is the main issue why I still think A2:OA have much better sound scape and immersion. Below is a link to another simple example, just engage the enemies on the other side of the valley and listen. All you can hear is the bullet cracks and some ricochets in the rocks/ground.

http://keycat.no-ip.com/files/A3B_Gun_Fire_Distance.zip

Will add it to FT as well...

/KC

Thanks for the repro!

If this issue will be worked on I hope they'll make the guns as loud as they should be at long distance. Recently I was nearby (3km to be exact, hilly areas) a military shooting range and I could hear machinegun fire loud and clear. So 3kms audible range wouldn't really be too far. This would bring so much to immersion!

I hope we see improvement on this too, hopefully BI can make gun sounds be heard over greater distances.

I just found a huge immersion breaker for me, there are no sounds when a human is hit by a vehicle!