Sign in to follow this  
Trilon

Flickering guns

Well, I finally went out and got myself a new video card (a Radeon 8500) and now guns and sometimes parts of vehicles are flickering white in ofp sad.gif

Im running ofp in 1024x768 32bit. HWTL is on.

Heres is a screenshot of what it looks like.

Any ideas?

System-

WinME

Athlon XP 1600+

Radeon 8500 128mb ddr (using newest drivers from ati.com)

VIA K7T Turbo2 Motherboard

AC97 Audio Controller

I have a Radeon card and ME and I had trouble with HW T&L on. Try it without Texture and Lighting on. That worked for me.

Ok, I disabled HW T&L and... no more flickering! smile.gif

Only problem is, the game runs much worse without HW T&L enabled. I'm talking a 50% performance drop here.

Anyone know of another way to fix this problem?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (grey @ Aug. 07 2002,17:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">get a geforce4? smile.gif

sorry couldnt resist ehe<span id='postcolor'>

I would if I had enough money, OFP is the main reason I splashed out & bought a new card sad.gif

I've done a bit of testing and the bug only appears in resistance. OFP v1.46 is flicker free.

I guess I just gotta hope BIS fixes it in their next patch confused.gif

The highlighting on weapons was added post-V1.46, it is likely also present in the V1.60 beta. I think that the Radeon drivers are at fault.

I have a 8500 LE Radeon card with 64 mb ram and have the same problem. Disabling HW T&L seems to solve the problem. I have read somewhere (Avon lady ofp faq) that installing the newest directx drivers (version 8.1b i think) should solve the problem also. I have not tested that so far.

I have the same problem with flickering textures, not only guns but also ground. I nave the latest ATI drivers, Catalyst 2.2, and also latest VIA 4in1's, as well as DirectX 8.1b. Its becoming annoying to say the least.

Any suggestions for fixes are welcome.

DirectX 8.1b is just the latest version of DX. You know after Directx 8.1a came 8.1b. For some reason MS decided that DX 8.2 was a step too far.

I too have the flickering weapons, sides of vehicles, and part of the ground (sometimes) problem..

I will definitely say that this wasn't present in the 1.46 release.

I can also say that it's not the drivers, as this problem still happens with the old ATI drivers, new ATI drivers, and everything in between. I've also tweaked on everything I can think of in the Rage3d Radeon tweaker, no dice.

My hope is that they'll test the new patch with the 8500 before they release it. I have some pretty major problems with Resistance and my 8500. It's the *only* game I have problems with. 3dMark 2001 runs FAST and accurate. America's Army runs great, NHL2002 runs hella sweet, RTCW runs great, etc etc etc and so on..

The only thing I've ever heard mentioned about bugwise with ATI cards and ofp was the W buffer issue, which has since been resolved in the last few sets of ATI drivers (or maybe ofp patch?)

I guess I'm waiting for the new patch myself with fingers crossed..

SPC G-Man

1st of the 123rd Infantry (Redbull) Division

But it also doesn't seem to happen with NVIDIA-based cards -- I've never experienced the problem. It could be the settings in use, such as a combination of color depth, W-Buffer, Multi-texturing, driver version etc.