Sign in to follow this  
batto

CQB AI Commanding - Obey orders, Stop roaming

Hi,

Commanding AI in ArmA is quite OK in open terrain. However, when I want to attack ebent outpost (say, Camp Maxwell) all my efforts as squad leader are useless because AI doesn't obey my orders.

1) I watch enemy outpost and notice one enemy turned its back on. I order AI squad member 2 to go and take cover behind fortifications. But most of time AI don't even move. And when it moves it walks. (And when it spots enemy it stops and start shooting but this can be mitigated by Hold fire I guess.) I need 2 to run there to take cover before the enemy turns around. I tested with all modes (Stealth, Relax, Combat, ...) but I think it was same in all of them.

a) How can I force AI to obey my orders? (i.e. when I say move I want them to actually start moving as soon as they acknowledge the order)

b) How can I order AI to run (spring, or at least jog) somewhere?

2) So I order all my AI squad mates to hide behind that hill so I can go scan the outpost undetected. That'd work if "Move there" also meant "Stay there". The AI squad mates start roaming around and most of time some of them expose themselves to superior number of enemies, start shooting and get killed. (At this time it'b great if they run back to cover or at least go prone and hold fire because it's clear they don't have chance but I predict AI doesn't support that yet.) Similar situation is when I take buddy with me to sneak around outpost fortifications with me and when we reach the entry and I pause to give orders to rest of the team my mate starts roaming and goes directly to outpost entry where he's killed. I want him to stay right behind me.

Is it possible to order AI to not roam?

By the way, I think ArmA really needs some kind of tactical planning a la old Rainbow 6. It doesn't have to be anything unrealistic. Simple stacking of orders with wait codes and communicating it to units via radio and drawing it on your map.

Thank you.

I found that a combination of setting them to "aware" and "open fire" (without "engage at will") works ok. Manually put their stance and after moving tell them to hold.

The roaming has something to do with combat and stealth mode where they try use cover. Engaging at will also allows them to use their smart AI to figure a tactical plan...

Using the editor there's also the possibility to disable parts of the AI like "move" or "target". I'm using this to make AI stay inside their fortifications etc. Will have to try how this influences your AI teammates, if you could still move them somewhere.

Do they still run off when they need ammo and all end up around an ammo cache?

AI obeys like shit. I shoot them for insubordination all the time.

Always shoot the bastard with the rocket launcher and take it for yourself if you want to be safe against vehicles.

The last time AI actually obeyed my orders properly was at Cold War Assault.

I am having trouble with HOLD Fire...they seem to think it mean engage at 300meters......:(