Sniperwolf572

Fluid Door/Hatch Opening

Thanks. :)

Well, doors in Arma don't play much of a role really as the interior CQB isn't something that you find yourself in often. This because of the following:

• Buildings in Arma are either small houses with interiors or huge buildings which either don't have complex interiors or are not enterable at all
  • AI isn't really any good for interior combat and mostly you'll just plant them inside and have them be static if you actually design any interior combat
  • For players, movement inside structures up until Arma 3 hasn't really been that good, it's getting better, but this can be improved greatly with stuff like automatic weapon adjusting when you're close to a wall (think raise/lower the weapon when you're close to a wall so you can get even closer)
  • Doors are bound to action menu which can be insanely slow process if you have interfering actions
  • There is no locking of doors, all doors can be opened or closed at will if they have that capability
  • You can't barricade the doors as they're only animations which are not affected by geometry, but instead, they affect geometry (you can be pushed away by someone opening the door)
  • If there is any explosive ordnance in the mission to be used against buildings, it's almost always better just to level the building rather than risk entering it and being ambushed

Now if the infantry simulation would enhance the usability of buildings where things above could be addressed, doors would become a much more important factor. Observe titles like SWAT series, Rainbow 6 and such where door play a major role. They're the most high risk thing to get through and places where you can get killed easily by being ambushed. They're not solid so if you make your presence known, they can be fired through by the enemy and kill you with your pants down. They limit the flow of force by being a choke point as one person is only able to get through them at a time and you can be ambushed by an undefined number of people behind the doors, think the tactic of the Spartans from 300. This can be countered with stuff like flashbangs and hand grenades, but flashbangs are kinda useless in Arma when you can just kill everyone with hand grenades. By the time a flashbang has gone off and you've executed your little maneover to enter the room, the job would already be done, unless of course there are friendly targets that can't be harmed.

Now, this addon only addressed the one thing out of many, which is adding a non-binary choice when you're opening a door. For example, if you're one taking cover in a building, you can slightly open the door to fire out of it while still having majority of you concealed. Firing from a fully open door versus firing from a slightly open door at someone a fair distance away, the door might not even appear to be open so you might not be as easy to notice. You can toss a grenade in, etc. It's not much for the current state of the building gameplay, but hey, it's a tiny step away from the status quo.

You make a good case and certainly sounds like there are people who would love some quality urban CQB action with features like this. I personally loved both SWAT 4 and the R6 series, but seems a bit harsh to compare ARMA against games like that which are much smaller in scope. Door breaching and doing room to room clearing are a central feature of those games, so of course they work a lot better. ARMA on the other hand is dealing with things on a much broader scale, can we really expect it to be everything in one? I can understand why BI wouldn't put a lot of focus on fancy door mechanics. Anyway this is probably a side topic to your mod so ill leave it at that :D

You make a good case and certainly sounds like there are people who would love some quality urban CQB action with features like this. I personally loved both SWAT 4 and the R6 series, but seems a bit harsh to compare ARMA against games like that which are much smaller in scope. Door breaching and doing room to room clearing are a central feature of those games, so of course they work a lot better. ARMA on the other hand is dealing with things on a much broader scale, can we really expect it to be everything in one? I can understand why BI wouldn't put a lot of focus on fancy door mechanics. Anyway this is probably a side topic to your mod so ill leave it at that :D

Don't worry, I don't mind, it's a good topic for discussion that closely relates to the addon. :)

Yes, exactly what I'm trying to say, Arma isn't trying to do such things in the scope that the games like SWAT and R6 are doing nor does it need to, but it also isn't quite right as it currently stands. While the outdoor combat feels good, the moment you start to play in our around structures, it all goes a bit downhill and the fangs come out, especially with the AI. I'm not saying that CQB needs to be advanced on SWAT or R6 levels, I'd just rather have it improved to the point where I don't feel that disconnect as if I'm playing the wrong game. There were advances in Arma 3 in this regard due to the movement and control changes (for example, we have an awesome new stance adjust system that shows it's best and has most use in an urban environment), but I feel we're never going to go past considering buildings and urban areas as crutches unless slightly more consideration and effort is put into it. What would be the point of huge cities on the islands and having all buildings enterable when those areas provide less fidelity than a forest or a field.

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Now just a wish: could you do a concept test for a hand animation when openning doors?

There is one reach to\grab animation (sorry, don't know the name, pretty long you know; sadly I think it is only for standing) that could be used with that gesture thing used in the switch on the move addon.

Anyway, great job!

Now just a wish: could you do a concept test for a hand animation when openning doors?

There is one reach to\grab animation (sorry, don't know the name, pretty long you know; sadly I think it is only for standing) that could be used with that gesture thing used in the switch on the move addon.

Anyway, great job!

I'm not quite sure how it would look like, but if you can find the animation name in the animation viewer, I can try to see what I can do.

I'm not quite sure how it would look like, but if you can find the animation name in the animation viewer, I can try to see what I can do.

Standing: AinvPercMstpSrasWrflDnon_Putdown_AmovPercMstpSrasWrflDnon (May need to remove underlined part)

Crouching: AinvPknlMstpSrasWrflDnon_Putdown_AmovPknlMstpSrasWrflDnon

Prone: AinvPpneMstpSrasWrflDnon_Putdown_AmovPpneMstpSrasWrflDnon

For reference, these are all under Inventory in the Animation Viewer.

Standing: AinvPercMstpSrasWrflDnon_Putdown_AmovPercMstpSrasWrflDnon (May need to remove underlined part)

Crouching: AinvPknlMstpSrasWrflDnon_Putdown_AmovPknlMstpSrasWrflDnon

Prone: AinvPpneMstpSrasWrflDnon_Putdown_AmovPpneMstpSrasWrflDnon

For reference, these are all under Inventory in the Animation Viewer.

Thanks, I'll check it out when I get some free time. :)

very nicely done

Sorry for the huge delay on the response. There is also some under the MOVE category, does it matters?

"Reach to"
AmovPercMstpSrasWrflDnon_AinvPercMstpSrasWrflDnon_Putdown

Stopped\Freezed (same animations)
AmovPercMstpSrasWrflDnon_diary
AmovPercMstpSrasWrflDnon_gear

Back move, but as it is for ammo, he put something in the vest first
AmovPercMstpSrasWrflDnon_gear_AmovPercMstpSrasWrflDnon

Crouched:
AmovPknlMstpSrasWrflDnon_AmovPknlMstpSrasWrflDnon_gear

Pistol
AmovPercMstpSrasWpstDnon_AinvPercMstpSrasWpstDnon_Putdown

Couldn't find any on the proned section, but I may have missed something.

There's a gesture for it...

player playAction "PutDown";

Lean and clean addon, very nice! :)

A couple of things I would like to add to it:

• The handle being pulled down before the door is opened.
  • The door makes a sound if it is opened too quickly.

Imagine hiding in a room anxiously watching the door, hearing foot steps outside, and then you see the handle turn... :)

Edited by mrflay
i'm retarded

It looks like it can be very useful indeed

Dont seem to work anymore on the stable branch

Hmm, I wonder what made it into stable to break it. It still works fine on the dev branch for me so I don't think I'll be updating it to make it backwards compatible with an older version.

Is this addon still working!? Where do i put the .pbo!?

Indeed it still does, just create a new mod folder, then an addons folder, and put the PBO file in there.

I just want to let anyone who misses this that an update is incoming this week. This was potentially broken ever since BI updated some of the input actions that this addon depended on, and I had no time to update it any sooner.

Version 1.1 will be a full rewrite of the system and will have CBA as a requirement (Keybinding interface). After 1.1 hits, there is another planned update that will introduce some quality-of-life features for further improvements in usability.

• Like 4

Version 1.1.0 available in the first post.

• Full rewrite because I can
  • Hold keybind now customizable through the CBA keybinding interface
  • Now respects door status (No more opening script-locked doors)
  • Fixed: In some cases, doors would take a few seconds to be detected if the object was not "revealed" to the player right away
  • Like 1

it wont let me move the file or extract it to my mods folder. says something about the pbo is not letting it be extracted

-Edit: This occurs with Dropbox and ArmAholic-

it wont let me move the file or extract it to my mods folder. says something about the pbo is not letting it be extracted

-Edit: This occurs with Dropbox and ArmAholic-

What tool are you using to extract? (I'm assuming the native Windows archive manager) If that is the case, it could be because of the LZMA compression. Here's an alternative link. Let me know if you can extract that.

Thanks for the mirror!

What tool are you using to extract? (I'm assuming the native Windows archive manager) If that is the case, it could be because of the LZMA compression. Here's an alternative link. Let me know if you can extract that.

Thanks for the mirror!

i use winrar (latest) and could not open them also..   the alternitive link was ok to open  :)