kibot

[SP]Dynamic Universal War System (DUWS alpha0.1)

Fantastic mission! congratulations it's the best sp mission i've played so far! this is what arma 3 should be.

im here for some little requests ;)

- i had problems with the helicopter taxi, sometimes it won't land at all, and

- today my hq commander died while i was in the chopper on the other side of the island, i would like a message pop-up for enemies near the hq, maybe a radar-support to buy would help?

- and i don't know if it's already possible, but it would be nice to take squads and to put them in hemtt or other vehicles for some quicker manouvers directly from high command, these poor soldiers do a lot of jogging back and forth xD

- i did not see enemy heilcopters, it's a planned feature?

other than this, it's Awesome! keep up the good work ;)

FOB's should have an ammo box where the squad could rearm.

It's too bad that the FOB model was made without a helli pad.

@BigShot: FOB is the best way to defend a captured zone for cheap. It also allows you to save for free and order ammoboxes. Fast travel between FOBs is a good idea, I'll add that. Some other of your suggestions are already in the DUWS.

@AtinAkiri: multiple people reported that, I hope I'll be able to fix that easily

@GottyPlays: If you are running v0.6, you should be warned when there are enemies within 300 meters of the HQ. Have you had that message ? If not, maybe he got sniped from further distance from an open door or some bad spawn happened ? As for the High Command, if you would like to have more features in it, ask BIS :). I can't really do much about the module. You can still assign manually vehicles to people in your squad and then put them in High Command control with the Squad Manager.

As for the helicopters, yes, there are helos implemented in the DUWS actually, however, it requires a zone to have a radius of 1,5km or 2km, or else it may have a few issues with the patrolling waypoints. So the default parameters doesn't allow helos to spawn. However, now that I'm thinking about it, when the armies are getting stronger I could probably make helos spawn and patrol between the zones.

@JuggernautOfWar: now remove that line and put it right above "// create random HQ". Tell me if you see the hint.

edit: just realized, are you launching the mission in sp or mp ?

On a side note, I'd like to start to implement coop. But I need a few testers. If you're interested, go here.

As always, thanks for the support.

Edited by kibot

Good job! Very nice mission, having allot of fun with it!

Now on to some issue's/requests:

1st) Mechinized squads got stuck at the closest objective, seemed like they were waiting for the vehicle to reach a specific point but it could not reach it/AI driver was stuck.

2nd) When I made a dynamic CTI for Arma 2 with the same functions your using I was able to specify that roads and airport runways be avoided, is this still possible?

3rd) I like to be picky on my teams, is it possible to give a kit to a AI unit via action, atm I'm forced to have them pick it up from the ground.

4th) I'd really like it if there were medical teams that would go and clear the battle field of the dead. Dispatched after FOB deploiyment or summin? This might be hard to do but would be epic!

5th) FOB placement is hard to do and your basically forced to find flat area's or risk not being able to enter them. I'd also like this to be a transport from base and not a POOF here's a FOB enjoy.....

6th) Defence objects like MG nests would be very nice to build or place.

Thats all the ramblings I have for now and thank you again for your hard work!

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Good job! Very nice mission, having allot of fun with it!

Now on to some issue's/requests:

1st) Mechinized squads got stuck at the closest objective, seemed like they were waiting for the vehicle to reach a specific point but it could not reach it/AI driver was stuck.

2nd) When I made a dynamic CTI for Arma 2 with the same functions your using I was able to specify that roads and airport runways be avoided, is this still possible?

3rd) I like to be picky on my teams, is it possible to give a kit to a AI unit via action, atm I'm forced to have them pick it up from the ground.

4th) I'd really like it if there were medical teams that would go and clear the battle field of the dead. Dispatched after FOB deploiyment or summin? This might be hard to do but would be epic!

5th) FOB placement is hard to do and your basically forced to find flat area's or risk not being able to enter them. I'd also like this to be a transport from base and not a POOF here's a FOB enjoy.....

6th) Defence objects like MG nests would be very nice to build or place.

Thats all the ramblings I have for now and thank you again for your hard work!

Btw, I've made a video of the DUWS, here it is:

kibot I have tried SP and from the editor. Recently I have been trying from the editor since you told me to put the files there. I moved the hint line to just above "// create random HQ" and the hint no longer appears.

@BigShot: FOB is the best way to defend a captured zone for cheap. It also allows you to save for free and order ammoboxes. Fast travel between FOBs is a good idea, I'll add that. Some other of your suggestions are already in the DUWS.

Ah ok, understood about defending the zones...good to know, however I still don't really understand what the advantage is in using your "save" at FOB's instead of just using ESC-SAVE in the game menu?

About FOB Deployment:

Why not let a Transport Truck let him drive the route from HQ to expected FOB Area then placing him the FOB and afterwards drive back the way to HQ? He could carry the patrol Troops too.

Anyway: If the FOB Deployment stays in the way it's now i wish a countdown to tell me when the FOB will be placed. I could then drive fast away from the expected place or fly away if i'm in a heli.

About FOB and HQ Force Power: It would be nice if i can "Spend" some of my troops or CP to increase the defending power of a specific FOB or HQ. With enough Force Power the Patrol Radius could be increased in 100 meters steps. How about a Status Bar indicating the actual Force?

It could be shown in Maps View or by talkin with the HQ Officer.

Spending Troops: How about Spending Troops or CP to AI and let him create a second/third/nth Squad and he manage them? I have then less reasons to worry about attacking and holding control areas and more time for doing other things.

Enemy Helo Spawning: I can only set a maximum radius of 1 Km. But if the heli will only spawn in a radius of >2.5km then i won't ever see a enemy heli. Could you set the minimum spawning radius to 1 km?

Enemy HQ: What is about an enemy HQ? Exist this? If not why not? I could bomb that HQ away so no more reinforcements coming for the enemy. But the HQ would be hard defended so it's not easy to bomb it away...

Coop Mode: Too bad that i have read your invitation too late. But if you need one more, im your guy. I have planty of time. And if you're near Cologne the next time i give you a free beer. :-)

CU Livedeath

Edited by Livedeath

Only suggestion is that you let us buy boats and subs! There's been lots of situations where I've wanted the amphibious option and not had it.

Also the cluster bomb doesn't even work.

The zones often fail to load as well, even on your default settings.

Shit dude, this entire thing is broken with your update, the armory doesn't work either. I'm going back to the previous build for now.

Seems that whatever you did broke it.

Edited by The Hebrew Hammer

Only suggestion is that you let us buy boats and subs! There's been lots of situations where I've wanted the amphibious option and not had it.

Also the cluster bomb doesn't even work.

The zones often fail to load as well, even on your default settings.

Shit dude, this entire thing is broken with your update, the armory doesn't work either. I'm going back to the previous build for now.

Seems that whatever you did broke it.

The Armory is broken (if you are in the dev build only) otherwise it is fine. I played just fine without the dev build and armory worked. With dev build armory is borked. Some of the weapons are locked out. They are reworking them.

As to the zone creation at the beginning, I have had issues with it as well. Stratis is not a very big island. The script appears to be trying to place the centers of the zones on flat pieces of land. For his new confabs. Prior to the confabs I had created up to 16 zones on Stratis of 750 meters. Now even trying to make 8 zones of 750 meters can be difficult. Again, that appears to be due to the placement of the confabs.

Never tried the cluster bomb. Might have to do that. But don't see the need yet. Usually I can clear Stratis by the time I have 5 or 6 AT squads helping me and a couple AI controlled task forces. I occasionally use mortars and maybe an artillery strike. To each his own of course.... I tend to not even buy a vehicle. I make my first chosen mission the one where you retrieve the supply truck and voila, after that I have a ride.

I rolled back to the stable version and everything seemed to work decently. The Clusterbomb wasn't working on the dev build but after a couple minutes it would drop on the stable release. There was still the issues with zones though.

The latest dev update seemed to break the game for me, even in the editor I couldn't get anything to work, helicopters, cars, boats, etc were all unresponsive.

Armory is fixed****

Dev builds "addweapon" command was broken which in turn broke the armory. They fixed that as of this morning.

For those who are having isues with the zone generation stuff:

1)What are your parameters (max/min radius and number of zones) ?

2)After a few tries with the sames parameters, what is the amount of zones the DUWS is able to generate ?

@JuggernautOfWar: It seems that you get stuck somewhere in the init.sqf for some strange reasons. I'm actually implementing the MP part for the DUWS, wich involves a lot of changes to the script files, where I changed a lot of things, especially inside the init, so maybe the DUWS will finaly work in the next version. If not, please, tell me and I will contact you. I want this fixed. I've looked into your problem and the only place where the init.sqf could get stuck is at the line "waitUntil {scriptDone getsize_script};", even if it shouldn't.

I'd love to help you test the MP version of the mission. Seems like it could be a cool mission, aside from a swimming sim I mean. ;) Unfortunately though for the testing I am leaving for basic training on the 27th. This means I have no time to test or play anything until November at the earliest.

After recent update my only bug is on non-stratis levels they spawn way out in the stupid debug zone instead of on the map itself.

Another suggestion that you may want to consider would be FOB fast travel. During my first play I noticed that every time I took a sector I would place a FOB in an area with the best observation and fields of fire, however they were pretty much useless as the enemy never counter-attacked zones that they had lost. Now this was an earlier version of the mission so I don't know if that's changed. But it would be nice especially if you have groups of AI larger than 9 since the Ghosthawk has limited cargo capacity.

Hi Kibot, ran into a few bugs in your mission when running it on Altis.

Error in expression <i" from 0 to _fadetime step _delay do {
_grpIconColor set [0,(_grpIconColor sele>
 Error position: <_grpIconColor set [0,(_grpIconColor sele>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _grpiconcolor
File A3\modules_f\marta\data\scripts\fnc_effect.sqf, line 35
Error in expression <_difR = ((_grpIconColorEnd select 0) - (_grpIconColor select 0)) * _step;
_difG >
 Error position: <_grpIconColor select 0)) * _step;
_difG >
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _grpiconcolor
File A3\modules_f\marta\data\scripts\fnc_effect.sqf, line 29

Interesting how its from a BIS script file, perhaps its unrelated to you?

Second problem is the RPT file is filled with:

"Some of magazines weren't stored in soldier Vest or Uniform?" linked to the following units:

• B_Soldier_TL_F
  • B_Soldier_AR_F
  • B_Soldier_GL_F
  • B_soldier_AT_F
  • O_Soldier_AA_F
  • O_Soldier_AT_F
  • B_soldier_AR_F
  • O_Soldier_LAT_F

900 of these after about 10 minute of play.

Edited by Furret

works on altis but not well, enemies are very few and it wont create zones in the entire left portion of altis, keeps giving the unable to find zones error when there's clearly more room. also more times than not when missions are spawned there are no enemies to fight which makes the mission somewhat boring

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

also can someone explain to me how to manually place the hq, i tried looking in the init file but it was really confusing for me. i need a step by step explanation. much appreciated guys!

@Nycstorm

Add me on Steam "Nooner" is my alias but user is Artyom_Demtri and I'll walk you through it; I'm busy til 4:30 but I'll be happy to help you learn the system I love; And When I up the amount of zones they spawn on the left side some times. Urban combat on Altis is fun :3

Edited by AtinAkiri
BI Forums being stupid on quotes.

works on altis but not well, enemies are very few and it wont create zones in the entire left portion of altis, keeps giving the unable to find zones error when there's clearly more room. also more times than not when missions are spawned there are no enemies to fight which makes the mission somewhat boring

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

also can someone explain to me how to manually place the hq, i tried looking in the init file but it was really confusing for me. i need a step by step explanation. much appreciated guys!

We have been MP testing on Altis and I can say the above statements are a bit confusing. Have seen plenty of zones on left side. It however is a bit harder for the system to place them there, since it is random and it needs a flat enough area to place the confabs. In addition with large zones in excess of 2500 m I can tell you there are LOTs and LOTs of enemy....

in the zones i usually see a decent amount of enemies but i have done many side missions where the side missions are outside of enemy zones and there are no enemies spawned within the side mission because its outside of a zone, if this is on purpose then i suggest that when the mission is spawned there should be just a few patrols spawned around the side mission radius as well, also i have found a new bug in the scenario, it's possibly due to the dev branch but sometimes the assassination missions dont work. when i say they dont work what happens is; i choose the assassination mission, and it gives me the task, but 2 seconds later it says task complete, and when i try to select another side mission the officer says "we have no missions available right now" and that essentially means i have to restart the entire mission to get it to work again. i thought it was just a one time bug however; it's happened multiple times for me.

Kibot, I was wondering. Is it possible to start zone placement close to the HQ, then as more zones are created they are placed further away, spiralling out?