kibot

[SP]Dynamic Universal War System (DUWS alpha0.1)

What do people generally tend to use settings wise? If I even go for a 15 km map the AI starts to bug out and not follow me.

@Phil_Accio @Fury145 Have you all thought about putting the source for the DUWS extensions on something like GitHub or BitBucket? I'm a software dev by trade but I wouldn't mind contributing some tweaks or fixes to the script from time to time :-D

I'm trying to figure out a way to display kills in the chat area/window, nothing fancy, just displaying who killed who. How would I go around doing that? I've looked around a bit, but I don't completely understand how the scripting works yet.

Basically it would look something like this:

Player X killed Enemy Y

Player Z killed Enemy A

So on and so forth... Is it something that can be done?

I found a script called Killticker by Tuliq, but it doesn't work on DUWS and I don't know why..

Any help would be appreciated!

Wow guys, 1 year after the last update of the DUWS this mission is still going strong within the ArmA community.

I was expecting the mission to die after I stopped supporting it, but it seems that the creative common license helped a lot, people really like the concept.

I started working on the DUWS around the time I stopped my studies, not knowing what I wanted to do with my life. I had to find something to occupy my free time and a few weeks later, what do you know... The first alpha of the DUWS was released. Life happened and I started studying again. However, it was really hard to keep up with my studies while working on the DUWS (and having a social life), but the support from the community kept me going. When the MANW contest was announced, I took this opportunity to drift away from the DUWS and work on something completely different (Green Draw SP campaign) I always wanted to do. While I was working on my campaign, people were asking me if I would continue the support of the DUWS, but I really didn't knew. On one end, I had a lot of plans regarding the DUWS, on the other end, I felt really burned out only working on ArmA3 during my free time, especially near the end of the submissions deadline where I had to haul ass. So I just took a break from ArmA3 for an undetermined period of time.

The thing is, I still get comments on the steam workshop page of the DUWS, people are still subscribing to it (nearly 115 000 subscribers, that's crazy) and I still get swarmed with friend requests from unknown people on steam. And a lot of people are making youtube videos of my mission.

I just wanted to tell you how I feel like. Everytime I see something that is related to the DUWS, I caress the idea of working on it again (there are still A LOT of things to improve), but the only thing keeping me back from working on it again is the fear of not having enough time for it and thus leaving people with hope and an unfinished beta like it is now.

From time to time something or someone reminds me of the DUWS and I cringe. Will I start working on it again ? I don't know.

I have so much plans and so little time :/

Wow guys, 1 year after the last update of the DUWS this mission is still going strong within the ArmA community.

I was expecting the mission to die after I stopped supporting it, but it seems that the creative common license helped a lot, people really like the concept.

I started working on the DUWS around the time I stopped my studies, not knowing what I wanted to do with my life. I had to find something to occupy my free time and a few weeks later, what do you know... The first alpha of the DUWS was released. Life happened and I started studying again. However, it was really hard to keep up with my studies while working on the DUWS (and having a social life), but the support from the community kept me going. When the MANW contest was announced, I took this opportunity to drift away from the DUWS and work on something completely different (Green Draw SP campaign) I always wanted to do. While I was working on my campaign, people were asking me if I would continue the support of the DUWS, but I really didn't knew. On one end, I had a lot of plans regarding the DUWS, on the other end, I felt really burned out only working on ArmA3 during my free time, especially near the end of the submissions deadline where I had to haul ass. So I just took a break from ArmA3 for an undetermined period of time.

The thing is, I still get comments on the steam workshop page of the DUWS, people are still subscribing to it (nearly 115 000 subscribers, that's crazy) and I still get swarmed with friend requests from unknown people on steam. And a lot of people are making youtube videos of my mission.

I just wanted to tell you how I feel like. Everytime I see something that is related to the DUWS, I caress the idea of working on it again (there are still A LOT of things to improve), but the only thing keeping me back from working on it again is the fear of not having enough time for it and thus leaving people with hope and an unfinished beta like it is now.

From time to time something or someone reminds me of the DUWS and I cringe. Will I start working on it again ? I don't know.

I have so much plans and so little time :/

DUWS is truely a great thing, so are the followers that have kept it alive. It would be great to see you working on this again and making improvements, but... it does not have to consume you at the same time. This mod has been alive for the last 12 months you have been away and will continue to hang around due to the great concept. So, why don't you when you have some spare time throw some things together and add it. Or work with some of the truely awesome people here who have continued on and modified your initial mod to make it better. Either way, good to see you here and I am sure your post is going to keep us inspired to keep playing DUWS. Cheers.

For anyone that is interested I'm making a fork of DUWS named Dynamic Universal War System - Rebirth. See what I did there? I'm so creative. The link is below.

Kibot: Thank you so much for a great starting place! I can only hope to do it justice.

My goals with the DUWS-R project is to get some of the bugs fixed and possibly add some extensions in the future :-). I welcome people to make contributions and all that good stuff there. I don't really know anything about ArmA scripting at all but I am a software developer by trade so the skills should be pretty transferable. I tossed the starting point out there for now and will get all the credits and such squared away when I get into the clean up phase (hopefully this upcoming weekend). I hope to see you all out there soon!

GitHub Project - https://github.com/DUWS-R-Team/DUWS-R

Development Downloads - http://www.maddonkeysoftware.com/DUWS-R/Downloads.aspx

Edited by fritogotlayed
Updated repo link and added Development Downloads link

Hey, love the mod been playing it for a long time time, With that said, i have been trying to figure out how to use custom units like the seal teams or the russian spetsnaz and even the uk special forces team. I know i have to go into the file its self and do all that. But there's just too much too look for, ive tried changing units, and manual ao zones, but everytime i change the file it screws up the mod completely and i have to re-install it, even when i change them back, is there ever a chance you will make this mod more user friendly and have a section when choosing your units to have it recognize your modded units that are installed already? Or maybe make a video of some sort on how to do this ? That would be very much apreciated, thanks

I know this is a HUGE thing to ask for, especially since it didn't work out at all in the past, but I think with bigshot gone and no clear person who's taking over yet, we should start off the new era of DUWS with a huge update to play it on a dedicated server. I'm sure now we all have a nice bit of motivation to work together and finally make this happen, even if it does require us to completely redo it. Plus, since the most requested features now are manually placing enemy zones and custom unit support, it will probably be easier to implement as well as be better performance wise to just rewrite the mission anyway. Obviously this would take a while, but I feel like it would definitely be worth it. Thoughts?

RHS Escalation DUWS?

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=360524977

You're welcome.

This is based off of kibot's DUWS which is fairly freely licensed, so it's legal, and does not contain features from BigShot's DUWS Modified.

Thanks mate, this is really good! DUWS with RHS rocks. Thanks again. Not a single bug that I have encountered yet, a really enjoyable experience.

I know this is a HUGE thing to ask for, especially since it didn't work out at all in the past, but I think with bigshot gone and no clear person who's taking over yet, we should start off the new era of DUWS with a huge update to play it on a dedicated server. I'm sure now we all have a nice bit of motivation to work together and finally make this happen, even if it does require us to completely redo it. Plus, since the most requested features now are manually placing enemy zones and custom unit support, it will probably be easier to implement as well as be better performance wise to just rewrite the mission anyway. Obviously this would take a while, but I feel like it would definitely be worth it. Thoughts?

I'd love to have you on the DUWS-R team! I already have merge builds set up so the latest and greatest code is out there freely for people to download and play. I'm pretty new at AmrA scripting myself and would love some others to hop on the team as well! If you're interested shoot me a PM.

GitHub Project - https://github.com/DUWS-R-Team/DUWS-R

Development Downloads - http://www.maddonkeysoftware.com/DUWS-R/Downloads.aspx

great mission like playing it with friends, only issue we are having is if we save and close the server, the next time we play the radio menu functions like jdam and air taxi no longer appear on the left, are we doing something wrong or is this a known issue?

great mission like playing it with friends, only issue we are having is if we save and close the server, the next time we play the radio menu functions like jdam and air taxi no longer appear on the left, are we doing something wrong or is this a known issue?

I have noticed this also just playing solo multiplayer (non dedicated), but dont think it happens when playing single player.

bignewy: I do not believe DUWS is maintained by kibot anymore. I have reciently started a fork of this project under the name "Dynamic Universal War System - Rebirth" in which we are trying to fix the existing issues and add more features. I logged your bug at the link below. After we get our first release (slated for March 1st) I hope to make the mission available on steam workshop as well as directly from github.

Your issue logged: https://github.com/DUWS-R-Team/DUWS-R/issues/27

The DUWS-R thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?187877-SP-MP-Dynamic-Universal-War-System-Rebirth

bignewy: I do not believe DUWS is maintained by kibot anymore. I have reciently started a fork of this project under the name "Dynamic Universal War System - Rebirth" in which we are trying to fix the existing issues and add more features. I logged your bug at the link below. After we get our first release (slated for March 1st) I hope to make the mission available on steam workshop as well as directly from github.

Your issue logged: https://github.com/DUWS-R-Team/DUWS-R/issues/27

The DUWS-R thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?187877-SP-MP-Dynamic-Universal-War-System-Rebirth

thanks for the reply, will check it out

I don't know if this is the place to do it, but today is the day that I'm releasing DUWS Modified for Iron Front ARMA 3.

It's in somewhat of an early stage. There are some DUWS features that I'm not sure how to translate to the World War Two setting (read: most of the supports. Maybe truck transport instead of a helo taxi?) and there are still others (high command groups) that I haven't bothered with finishing yet.

So, let's say it again: this is an early stage version. We'll call it a beta test. I do know that there are some issues. However, it should be stable and playable and it shouldn't cause script error or RPT spam, or at least none that wasn't already in DUWS. Don't bother reporting that the Task Force sometimes dies, or that enemy planes sometimes spawn in weird places. I know of these issues. They're not game-breaking, and will be fixed when I work on this again. Do report any other issues, feature requests, or just interesting notes you have about the mission.

It features the first release of Fury145's manual zone placement script. Do you like playing on addon maps, but don't like your DUWS zones spawning in the corner, or in the middle of fucking nowhere? Then enable Manual zone placement in the server parameters. To use the feature, after selecting the mission options and pressing "Start," open your map and click on the locations where you would like a zone to be. Note: while the script is currently in a working and non-buggy state, it is not feature complete. Zones that are manually placed will not contain prefabs or have names apart from "Zone 1", "Zone 2", and etc. This will be coming in a future update. All credit for manual zone placement goes to Fury145.

This mission is licensed as per Kibot's original instructions. Anyone is free to use, modify, and distribute this mission in a non-commercial way, provided that they give credit where credit is due. Mission credit goes to Kibot, BigShot, and Fury145, I only did what was needed to make it functional with IFA3. Credit goes to .kju and the IFA3 team for an awesome mod, go check them out!

Get Iron Front A3

Get DUWS for IFA3

That sounds great! I'll try it asap. I thought about creating an IFA3 version myself (I did a bunch of DUWS conversions for different scenarios already for personal use) but had trouble with the zone prefabs.

Anyway, a question on the DUWS system in general: Is there a way to prevent Zones from being generated outside the maps borders/at the border? Very often the script will search for and find "flat areas" to place enemy zones outside the original map borders. On Takistan for example. Can I define the map borders somehow or alter a script so that there are no zones being spawned there? Its really annoying if that happens. Most maps don't have a nice looking transition at the borders and I try to stay away from these.

My guys and I love this mod. It's finally given us exactly what we want. Thank you to all that have helped make this amazing contribution to ARMA. Now one question....

Can this be used with Alive? We find that there is not enough AI on Altis. Driving through town after town without getting into combat unless its in a zone is a disservice to this otherwise amazing piece of work.

Problem, war doesn't escalate. Me and 5 of my friends played this with 12 zones and took them easily without any challenge, how do you unlock the sandstorm and why is opfor presence on the island so small? Zones are also too limit, 20? On altis? We set zones to the biggest and smallest sizes and the enemy spawns like 2 squads in it and maybe a vehicle and that's it.

Hey, I can not access the armory, where is it? the officer in the HQ? there is no option for it in his scroll down list? Do I need to use VAS seperate? Any help appreciated

Thanks

Nevermind figured it out, durp!

Edited by Simmo

Problem, war doesn't escalate. Me and 5 of my friends played this with 12 zones and took them easily without any challenge, how do you unlock the sandstorm and why is opfor presence on the island so small? Zones are also too limit, 20? On altis? We set zones to the biggest and smallest sizes and the enemy spawns like 2 squads in it and maybe a vehicle and that's it.

i made enemy unit multiplier. That will do?

Also ASR AI can make game challenging.

Hit a bit of an issue, VAS isn't allowing me to load agm items to my inventory, such as medical equipment (bandages etc) and earplugs, kestral and all the other agm items? Anybody have this issue or know why? Thanks

Can anyone tell me how to change the enemy units into talibans if I was to play this on takistan?