kibot

[SP]Dynamic Universal War System (DUWS alpha0.1)

Some of you are truly disturbed...the slander, the insults, all the twisting and the outright lies here are more than enough.

I gave and gave and gave...never asked for a thing all year.

I've removed the mission. Website owners please do not upload any of my work pertaining to the Duws Modified mission including versions 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.75.

I'm done...never again.

Edited by BigShot

I have copies of 1.75 if anyone needs them, as well as 1.75 with units from the CUP weapons pack added.

Even though BigShot has no respect for Kibot's terms about redistributing the mission, I'll respect his terms and not distribute the CUP version.

Got some guys over on reddit looking for it. I'm sure they'd appreciate the link.

Some of you are truly disturbed...the slander, the insults, all the twisting and the outright lies here are more than enough.

I gave and gave and gave...never asked for a thing all year.

I've removed the mission. Website owners please do not upload any of my work pertaining to the Duws Modified mission including versions 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.75.

I'm done...never again.

Good riddance.

I tried to log into my saved DUWS M campaign today, came here looking for reasons for it's disappearance. Guess I found it.

I'm really sad to see the modified version of this project go. It really was a significant improvement over the original (not to deny how impressive that was, obviously). This was by far the most fun I'd had with ARMA, and it's awful seeing bad business practices ruin what was such a treat.

How supportive would you guys be of a new strain of DUWS Modified, using features and tweaks that I add to Kibot's original (so none of BigShot's work)? I propose this instead of distributing BigShot's mission, which could get me banned from the forums.

I'm willing to make ports to popular mods like the CUP and RHS Escalation if no better ones have already been made.

And I won't ask for a single cent of donations.

I would definitely be interested in that and I'd sign up to beta test it to make it more stable. I (now used to I guess) play this mission regularly with my buddies.

How supportive would you guys be of a new strain of DUWS Modified, using features and tweaks that I add to Kibot's original (so none of BigShot's work)? I propose this instead of distributing BigShot's mission, which could get me banned from the forums.

I'm willing to make ports to popular mods like the CUP and RHS Escalation if no better ones have already been made.

It depends upon the amount of skill you have. Personally I'd like to see multiple people work on this mod. I'd totally test it as well.

Also does anyone have version 1.75? Also how do you install it?

It seems it is time for someone to fork off of kibot's original (with permission, of course, which he does say you can do in his readme, so long as you link to the original).

And, it's not about asking for donations that people (or, at least, me) took issue with. It was about withholding content/updates/etc from people who don't donate (which is payment in return for something, rather than a voluntarily contributed donation).

It depends upon the amount of skill you have. Personally I'd like to see multiple people work on this mod. I'd totally test it as well.

Also does anyone have version 1.75? Also how do you install it?

I'm not particularly skilled, but I have made my own modifications of DUWS for my own personal use, and they tend to be really fun to use. I'd like to be able to share that with the rest of the DUWS playing community. So, any scripting help I could get for this would be very appreciated, as well as testers and feature suggestions.

A couple of features I have in mind:

1: The ability to generate the zones by hand by clicking on the map, as when I use DUWS on maps like Chernarus and Takistan I get a bit annoyed by zones that generate halfway off the map, or in relatively meaningless locations (such as in a small clearing in a far off forest or a patch of desert far from any roads).

2: A version for Alduric's ARMA 3 Co-op Vietnam Mod, if anyone here plays that.

---------- Post added at 02:13 ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 ----------

It seems it is time for someone to fork off of kibot's original (with permission, of course, which he does say you can do in his readme, so long as you link to the original).

And, it's not about asking for donations that people (or, at least, me) took issue with. It was about withholding content/updates/etc from people who don't donate (which is payment in return for something, rather than a voluntarily contributed donation).

I take no issue with donations either, in fact, I wish that content creators and mission makers would get more donations for all the trouble they go through to enhance the ARMA 3 community.

However, I personally wouldn't engage in profiteering off of Kibot's mission, which is essentially what BigShot was doing.

Sad but necessary. Was getting a bit out of hand. Modders and mission makers truely do have my admiration to put in so much time for very little back but they go into it knowing that, so for any modder or mission maker to then say they deserve some sort of compensation for all their time are wrong and then to crack the shits and pull the whole thing out of spite is really upsetting. Oh well. The ground work for DUWS is still there, maybe time for it to take a new direction??? Good luck to anyone who wants to take on that role and thank you if you do.

The fact that he just pulled it all down was fairly childish. In the end he broke the code of conduct by doing what he did...

Then again the only reason why I want the current version is so I can have 600 command points. Pretty much the only notable thing to me. Not to mention it got taken down literally the day after I reinstall.

The fact that he just pulled it all down was fairly childish. In the end he broke the code of conduct by doing what he did...

Then again the only reason why I want the current version is so I can have 600 command points. Pretty much the only notable thing to me. Not to mention it got taken down literally the day after I reinstall.

That's really easy to add to the original mission.

I'm really sad to see how this "donation" issue ended... Few weeks ago, I talked to BigShot and he was a nice guy. I'm ok with you: he crossed the line. But still, he managed to do some real improvements on this mission so, please, try not to insult him.

About forking:

All DUWS versions are released under the original license (cf first post).

License:

You can remix, tweak, and build upon my work non-commercially, as long as you credit me and license your creations under these same identical terms.

That means you can start from whatever version you like (remember there's also the RLex one - and one from me, buried in this thread) and built from that as long as you respect the original version from Kibot.

I have copies of 1.75 if anyone needs them, as well as 1.75 with units from the CUP weapons pack added.

Even though BigShot has no respect for Kibot's terms about redistributing the mission, I'll respect his terms and not distribute the CUP version.

Sweet, post a rapidshare/mega link.

-edit-

Or PM me please

Edited by NyteMyre

Sweet, post a rapidshare/mega link.

-edit-

Or PM me please

I hate to say this but I'd like a copy too.

Also I'd be onboard with co-op testing of new versions. If anyone else is willing. I've only ever played singleplayer though. I would like some co op buddies, it seems this would be way more fun with other people on your team.

It would be really awesome if somehow someone could make it so a multiplayer game could be held with players on BOTH sides.

This is a real shame. I was a real big fan of the work that has been done on DUWS. The real shame is that if he had simply set up a donation shop and asked for support for his continued efforts (without putting the mod behind a paywall), I would have gladly donated, and I'm sure I'm not alone on that. What a waste.

I would jump on this in an instant!

I would have gladly donated, and I'm sure I'm not alone on that. What a waste.

Same here. We probably should stop talking about it though.

Tnx, got it....

Guess i'll give it a shot to create the 1.8 version, based on the following ideas of big shot:

Here's a little preview of what's to come in next update:

- New Side-Mission: 'Operation Lojack' - Hunt down an Elite enemy sniper using a beacon tracking device and steal his classified papers to earn a new Mobile Teleport Vehicle(MTV-2) outfitted with full Armory, Teleporting and Unlimited Recon Camera capabilties!

- New: HQ & FOBs can now be Re-Fortified with 1 click of your mouse! If your static weapons get destroyed or their gunners get killed just use the "Re-Fortify" option in your action menu. HQ can only be refortified by the host and an FOB can only be refortified by the player who initially built it. See in-game Duws manual.

- Tweak: supply/ammo drop crate contents are now seen globally by all players so now 1 single crate can be used by everyone. New Crate weapons/ammo added. Parachute type changed and height increased for better immersion. Chem Light now comes attached to the drop for easier tracking at nite.

- Fixed: some improvement to the boat taxi & detonation option added. It mostly works ok now. Nothing more can be done to get it closer to shoreline when picking you up unless BIS fixes the AI ship drivers which have been broken since day 1 arma3 alpha, which is also why this taxi must magically be removed after player is 100m+ away, instead of it driving away realistically.

- Fixed: AI no longer get damaged or need to be revived after landing in group halo.

- Tweak: "destroy" tower mission has some more enemy and tower can only be destroyed with explosives (1 explosive charge needed).

- Tweak: static weapons are now placed a little further away from HQ & FOB buildings to allow for easier AI pathfinding and mounting.

- Fixed: rooftop AA pod on HQ & FOBs no longer falls over.

- Tweak: fast travel/teleport new global visual effect for all players.

- Tweak: nite lighting effects subdued for HQ & FOB's to reduce blinding with nite vision.

- Tweak: minor action menu tweaks (order of appearance in list and now using less color for easier reading, was getting like a xmas tree:-) ).

- New: NATO & U.S. flags at base HQ (useful for wind estimates).

- New: added 2 boats to vehicle unlocks menu (intended for slinging to sea).

- New: added action item to all purchased vehicles that will allow the player who created the vehicle, to delete it (intended for self cleanups or if you bought the wrong vehicle; no refunds).

- Tweak: HQ radio chatter now plays for all connected clients in MP(instead of just the host).

- Tweak: prefabs in the zones are cleaned up a bit to improve performace (less objects created). A subtle change, nothing dramatically different.

After I noticed all my comments had been removed I got a steam pm off bigshot himself, he instantly started to insult me. After I calmed him down i found that he had miss took me for someone else and he explained to me his future plans for DUWS. They were all great but I tackled him about charging for further updates. He told me he wasn't charging people for updates he was asking for donations. So I told him that only providing updates to people who paid was selling the package and a donation was called a donation as it was optional. He then went into a rage again so I cut him off. The guy had a chip on his shoulder and believed his work was worth something but infact had just added a few extras to killbots. He got above his station. So then had a rage and deleted all content from the workshop. Keep in mind multiple people had already donated so they are now out of pocket. Who ever decides to pick up and carry on PLEASEEEEEEE contact me as I would to test your progress. Me and my 3 mates play it a lot and would love to help. Also rather than making 3 or 4 different ones why don't you guys join up :)

Edited by Kevilar
typo

- New Side-Mission: 'Operation Lojack' - Hunt down an Elite enemy sniper using a beacon tracking device and steal his classified papers to earn a new Mobile Teleport Vehicle(MTV-2) outfitted with full Armory, Teleporting and Unlimited Recon Camera capabilties!

Mission looks fine, but reward seems OP. Leaving this out for now.

- Fixed: AI no longer get damaged or need to be revived after landing in group halo.

Done

- Tweak: "destroy" tower mission has some more enemy and tower can only be destroyed with explosives (1 explosive charge needed).

Added the "Explosive Charge" requirement. Added a few randomized Sentries.

- Tweak: static weapons are now placed a little further away from HQ & FOB buildings to allow for easier AI pathfinding and mounting.

Done

- Fixed: rooftop AA pod on HQ & FOBs no longer falls over.

Cannot reproduce this or know how to fix it. Maybe he used attachTo to fix this?

- Tweak: fast travel/teleport new global visual effect for all players.

To vague, and seems unnecessary 

- Tweak: night lighting effects subdued for HQ & FOB's to reduce blinding with nightvision.

Done

- Tweak: minor action menu tweaks (order of appearance in list and now using less color for easier reading, was getting like a xmas tree:-) ).

Done

- New: NATO & U.S. flags at base HQ (useful for wind estimates).

Done

- New: added 2 boats to vehicle unlocks menu (intended for slinging to sea).

Done

- New: added action item to all purchased vehicles that will allow the player who created the vehicle, to delete it (intended for self cleanups or if you bought the wrong vehicle; no refunds).

Not gonna do this. Deal with your errors

- Tweak: HQ radio chatter now plays for all connected clients in MP(instead of just the host).

Done

Well, that was about 2 hours work.