kibot

[SP]Dynamic Universal War System (DUWS alpha0.1)

Hey Bigshot,

Thanks for sharing this and keeping it up to date. Having lots of fun.

I've starting playing around with this and modifying it for myself in SP. I've taken it and modified it a bit, but have a question for you. When i try to use the ZUES, only the vanilla units are available. If i run zues without the missions INIT file however, it works just fine. I cannot find where in the code it might be messing with this. Any ideas?

Also i've done the following and would be willing to share with the community here if you're ok with it (SP mode only):

-Ported it to most AIA maps

-Ported to Other released A3 maps (Bornholm, Imrali, etc..)

-Added ability to switch to AI players when you request units to join your team

-Changed to ISIS and CAF AG units for maps in deserts (Takistan, FATA, etc...)

-(WIP) Update units to RHS Escalation for those interested

Thanks again

If anyone would like to release a modified version of their own, please, only do so with your work based on the original 08b version by Kibot (and not mine for now). My version is still a work in progress and, therefore, I do not want various versions of it floating around just yet. When I am completely finished with it I will change it so you can all modify and redistribute however you like.

Here's a little preview of what's to come in next update:

- New Side-Mission: 'Operation Lojack' - Hunt down an Elite enemy sniper using a beacon tracking device and steal his classified papers to earn a new Mobile Teleport Vehicle(MTV-2) outfitted with full Armory, Teleporting and Unlimited Recon Camera capabilties!

- New: HQ & FOBs can now be Re-Fortified with 1 click of your mouse! If your static weapons get destroyed or their gunners get killed just use the "Re-Fortify" option in your action menu. HQ can only be refortified by the host and an FOB can only be refortified by the player who initially built it. See in-game Duws manual.

- Tweak: supply/ammo drop crate contents are now seen globally by all players so now 1 single crate can be used by everyone. New Crate weapons/ammo added. Parachute type changed and height increased for better immersion. Chem Light now comes attached to the drop for easier tracking at nite.

- Fixed: some improvement to the boat taxi & detonation option added. It mostly works ok now. Nothing more can be done to get it closer to shoreline when picking you up unless BIS fixes the AI ship drivers which have been broken since day 1 arma3 alpha, which is also why this taxi must magically be removed after player is 100m+ away, instead of it driving away realistically.

- Fixed: AI no longer get damaged or need to be revived after landing in group halo.

- Tweak: "destroy" tower mission has some more enemy and tower can only be destroyed with explosives (1 explosive charge needed).

- Tweak: static weapons are now placed a little further away from HQ & FOB buildings to allow for easier AI pathfinding and mounting.

- Fixed: rooftop AA pod on HQ & FOBs no longer falls over.

- Tweak: fast travel/teleport new global visual effect for all players.

- Tweak: nite lighting effects subdued for HQ & FOB's to reduce blinding with nite vision.

- Tweak: minor action menu tweaks (order of appearance in list and now using less color for easier reading, was getting like a xmas tree:-) ).

- New: NATO & U.S. flags at base HQ (useful for wind estimates).

- New: added 2 boats to vehicle unlocks menu (intended for slinging to sea).

- New: added action item to all purchased vehicles that will allow the player who created the vehicle, to delete it (intended for self cleanups or if you bought the wrong vehicle; no refunds).

- Tweak: HQ radio chatter now plays for all connected clients in MP(instead of just the host).

- Tweak: prefabs in the zones are cleaned up a bit to improve performace (less objects created). A subtle change, nothing dramatically different.

***PLUS***

- for 48 hours only!: play the "Duws Modified v1.8 Xmas Edition"...grab some holiday cheer, snuggle up close to your commanding officer and instead of the usual HQ radio chatter, listen to the classic holiday sounds of legends gone by and other holiday sound effects. Available at Steam Workshop only, for 48 hours starting 12/24/2014. Will be Replaced by regular Duws Modified v1.8 on 12/26/2014.

Edited by BigShot

No worries man, i understand. Going back to my post, any ideas about the ZUES issue? Not a huge gamer breaker but if i wanted to spawn custom vehicles it would be handy. Thanks again.

@JC - I have not worked with Zeus and so I am not familiar with all of it's scripting intricacies and/or compatibility issues. I would first make sure all your mods and units are working and initializing properly without zeus so you can be certain your coding is correct. If everything is working good without zeus then you need to research zeus scripting for missions to understand what may be causing your issue.

You'd think people would have learned after this whole A3Life fiasco, but apparently not. BigShot is now selling a modified version of this mission and as such breaching the CC BY-NC-SA license (and the ARMA eula for that matter). And no.. it's not a "donation" when you're asking people to give you money in exchange to get the mission, you're selling it.

He is also deleting/editing any messages pointing this out on his workshop page.

Just to let kibot know: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/222686368/624076027474634374/

Edited by Rautapalli

You're kidding right??

1. I am not selling anything, the mission is free and available to anyone who wants to play it. Donations are NOT necessary nor required to play.

2. The arma3 eula clearly states that asking for donations is allowed. Kibot also gave his permission to me to re-release the original code as my own with proper credits.

3. I am only asking for donations for players who want to thank me for the 1200 hours I put into it this past year and I will share with them my own private version of the mission for any future updates that I do to it.

4. Players tend to get upset when you stop publicly updating their game. I think 1,200 volunteered hours is enough don't you?

5. I have always been readily available for anyone who wishes to contact me regarding anything about the mission.

6. I have no problem with removing the mission at anytime if this is required of me.

Edited by BigShot

duwsbreach.PNG

1. I am not selling anything, the mission is free and available to anyone who wants to play it. Donations are NOT necessary nor required to play.

It quite clearly says that you will stop updating the workshop version and newer versions will only be available by "donation".

2. The arma3 eula clearly states that asking for donations is allowed. Kibot also gave his permission to me to re-release the original code as my own with proper credits.

Asking for donations is fine. Selling missions/addons/server access and saying it's a "donation" is not. I don't know whether he gave you permission or not, but it doesn't really matter as you're not only breaching his license but also the rules set by BIS.

BIS has very clear rules about monetization:

Is there any acceptable way I can make money on my server/website?

Yes. Voluntary donations are allowed and are not considered to be a commercial use. Nevertheless, in any way making the “donation†as part of a condition to receive access to/or getting any part of offered content would be in breach of the License Agreement. The content you create must be available to all whether they donate to you or not.

The fact that you are getting donations is not a problem, but they must be provided voluntarily, i.e. not providing donations must not prevent anyone from accessing the content, download it or store it in another place and operating it there.

To avoid misunderstanding, all access or the content has to be free of any charge.

Am I allowed to seek crowd-funding or other forms of donation towards my modding work?

Yes this is allowed, with the same rules = the access to data/content cannot be limited by any financial contribution.

In no way does this mean that Bohemia guarantees any compatibility or functionality now, or in the future for your modding work or that Bohemia endorses your project.

But surely you're already aware of all this as people have pointed this out on your workshop page, in the messages which you have either deleted or edited.

Edited by Rautapalli

Ok, this will not be a boxing match... I don't deserve it after all this time and effort really.

My post stands (including point #6), and if Bohemia OR Kibot asks me to stop then I will simply remove the mission no questions asked. So it's very simple.

To be honest you are making a fuss over nothing...when it comes to donating your lucky if it'll buy a tank of gas for your car anyway.

Everyone can go play the mission as always.

Now he deleted it from the workshop. :yay: Take your money...be happy with it.

You can find the mission still in your steam folder....

go to your steam folder open the folder "userdata" and search for "duws" with the search function, take the newest duws file and put it into your arma3/mpmissions folder

Edited by TheLoneWolfXY

Now he deleted it from the workshop. :yay: Take your money...be happy with it.

You can find the mission still in your steam folder....

go to your steam folder open the folder "userdata" and search for "duws" with the search function, take the newest duws file and put it into your arma3/mpmissions folder

Ya but it seems to be v1.1 because he downgraded it first

Ya but it seems to be v1.1 because he downgraded it first

Ya i think so but i got still some older duws files. Maybe i got the 1.75 update version

EDIT:

ok i dont have the newest version, but the 1.6 update...better than nothing

Edited by TheLoneWolfXY

Yeah he's pretty much censoring all comments on the workshop page now that are even mentioning Kibot at all and whether he gave him permission or not. Sad to see scumbags like these are still around and some people are gullible enough to think that he is the "victim".

Yeah he's pretty much censoring all comments on the workshop page now that are even mentioning Kibot at all and whether he gave him permission or not. Sad to see scumbags like these are still around and some people are gullible enough to think that he is the "victim".

Yeah i noticed that he was deleting your messages, which even i believe doesnt help his case. Dont get me wrong, i love the mission, and the additions he made. I played the mission for a long time, but the moment this whole 1.8 thing came about i was abit "put off" yeah i can understand donations are a great way to show appreciation for his work, but only allowing people who donate to get access to the latest version? Thats deffinatly selling it, no matter how you look at it, and thats against BI's rules.

Lucky enough i have the v1.75 pbo for the mission, so i can still play it.

Could you please PM me with info on how to get 1.75? Thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:52 ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 ----------

[No edit on mobile]

Remember guys, if this community mission does in fact violate the BIS agreement and require payment for any version of the mod and/or add-on you can just torrent it until BIS clears up the situation.

I'm not saying this author is violating anything, but if he is there are ways to work with it. Also keep in mind nothing bad has happened yet as far as I'm aware.

Yeah i noticed that he was deleting your messages, which even i believe doesnt help his case. Dont get me wrong, i love the mission, and the additions he made. I played the mission for a long time, but the moment this whole 1.8 thing came about i was abit "put off" yeah i can understand donations are a great way to show appreciation for his work, but only allowing people who donate to get access to the latest version? Thats deffinatly selling it, no matter how you look at it, and thats against BI's rules.

Lucky enough i have the v1.75 pbo for the mission, so i can still play it.

I agree. I've been playing since the original by kibot and don't mind if he asks for donations. However forced donations = selling, and I'm pretty sure that breaks laws as Rautapilla pointed out.

I have copies of 1.75 if anyone needs them, as well as 1.75 with units from the CUP weapons pack added.

Even though BigShot has no respect for Kibot's terms about redistributing the mission, I'll respect his terms and not distribute the CUP version.

So, is this correct, BigShot?

You are asking for "donations"... fine.

But, you are now withholding future updates from people who do not "donate" (or help you test)?

In addition to that, you didn't just stop updating it for non-donors, but you actually *downgraded* it for anyone who doesn't compensate you financially, or with their time?

Asking for donations is one thing. I think people should support content creators more, and not just streamers, and youtubers. But, you are effectively withholding (and even seized what was already available) content unless someone pays you. I would be interested to see what Bohemia has to say about this...

The Virtual Arsenal, for example... a vanilla Arma feature, mind you... and a line of code to include, appears to have been removed after the downgrade, with an added statement (by you) that you can only get it if you "donate" (or help). Speaking of spite...

You may well have put in a lot of work, and I am sure many have enjoyed the benefits of that work. But, this is not your original creation... let's not get carried away. You took what someone else created, and had an established user base for, and continued that work, and benefited from a built in audience, and a 100+ page thread to get your work out there. Now, you are asking for "donations"... which, normally, I'd be fine with, but let's be straight about this... You aren't just asking for donations. You are withholding content, and even downgrading content (basically a ransom) in lieu of donations. That = payment.

As a side note: If I were to start asking for donations for someone else's work (that I carried on with permission), I would be donating half of any *voluntary* donations received to the original content creator from whose work I benefited, while I act like I am a "BigShot". The humility you expressed when you originally started taking over this project was much more becoming... i.e. "I'm no coder so most of this is pretty basic cut/paste/modify."

Unsubscribed, just on principle, alone.

I have copies of 1.75 if anyone needs them, as well as 1.75 with units from the CUP weapons pack added.

Even though BigShot has no respect for Kibot's terms about redistributing the mission, I'll respect his terms and not distribute the CUP version.

Please let me know where you upload it to!

Can someone confirm that his mission isn't on steam anymore? Can't find it anymore.

So I assume he took it down or it was a forced decission.