kibot

[SP]Dynamic Universal War System (DUWS alpha0.1)

Great mission, wish it could run on dedicated

Is there a way to save your current game without having to go back to your HQ?

It's documented. "0 ---> 8" then SITREP for 1 CP. But a warning. There's only one save file ! ALT -Tab out and make a copy if necessary.

Have you considered adding a heli-lift script to your mission? Like RAV_Lifter for example.

Could be a nice addition, or at least something to consider.

Was thinking this myself. Vehicles could be lifted in by heavy lift heli. Boats (when added to vehicle list) could sail in. However, don't know what kibot's development approach is here. Guess he might be keeping his script simple and leaving to other authors to add this kind of thing ?

One problem we keep encountering is that when we die, we get teleported out to sea, which makes it .. hard to revive. Any idea why this happens?

i have xperienced this too. any fix?

Have you considered adding a heli-lift script to your mission? Like RAV_Lifter for example.

I would like that too!

i have xperienced this too. any fix?

There are only 2 documented reasons why you should be swimming:

- WHEN ENTERING MISSION I AM SWIMMING: Either you have joined someone's server in progress (JIP) and simply need to respawn once (esc\respawn)...OR, you are trying to resume the mission while choosing to play a different unit/role than you initally started with. You should not change roles in this mission as it breaks the scripting.

...sounds like you might have some players in the server backing out and role switching...it's a no no. The JIP swim only happens 50/50 when you first join...just respawn once and the issue is gone after that.

---------- Post added at 08:01 ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 ----------

This mission is 99% scripted externally outside of the editor...so, to employ something like this would require a couple things.

1. the lifter script needs to already be 100% scripted externally with no editor modules needed

2. it must be able to work with missions that have no pre-existing vehicles on the map.

If you are certain it meets these minimum requirements then PM me the link and I'll try to fit it in.

After several hours of play, We now have (me and my friend) like 20 fps and it is made unplayable.

Is there a way to make a script who delete destroyed vehicules and dead bodies, but only after a rest?

I don't want to see vehicles and corpse to disappear.

After several hours of play, We now have (me and my friend) like 20 fps and it is made unplayable.

Is there a way to make a script who delete destroyed vehicules and dead bodies, but only after a rest?

I don't want to see vehicles and corpse to disappear.

Get MCC

@Kidnoff - this is what it's like when you have 150+ AI and vehicles on the map all at the same time in arma...nothing can be done about it. Playing on high AP means theres alot more enemy vehicles and choppers on the map at same time so you get a fast and furious battle going pretty quickly after start.

Next time...start with a low AP (like 0), it'll allow you to play a longer match since a lower AP means it'll take alot more time for the AI to build up in numbers. But if you play on high AP, especially at 170-200...I'll get maybe 25-30 fps after 2 hours of play...still playable, but dont expect fps to stay like butter after 3+ hours on this setting. You can't have your cake and eat it too...this mission cannot use cached AI either because the AI would no longer hunt down your FOB's or HQ and there'd be no way to lose.

The vehicle wrecks get removed every 10 minutes, bodies every 15 minutes...if I remove that, you wouldnt be able to play on high AP at all....fps would dip too low, and too soon. You wouldnt want to play more than 30 minutes on high AP if i removed that...and no i wont make via rest only since very few people use it. This is the way it was previously and it simply wasn't doing a good enough job. This way has shown to be an improvement...in fact some say I should have the removals happening MORE frequently. If i get more feedback on it I can adjust it, but so far noone has complained until now :-)

My setup was by Default, so 0 AP. But When I re load my game, I got the popup than I own the Island lol. We played like 8 hours and we don't take any points by our self... IA win the game lol, probably for that we got low FPS. We see IA choper and war everywhere.

On a refresh game, I'm arround 50 fps its not bad, I'm at 70-80 on campaign mission.

Tomorrow I will see if destroyed vehicule really get removed. Seems to me that I always saw destroyed vehicles everywhere I'm passed...

Thanks for fast answer

ok, doesnt sound like you're using the newest modified version since the default is currently set to 200! (this will be changed again shortly).

I Download it last week... Don't know if a new version is out since last week... Steam workshop don't keep it update?

JSRS and some other mods doesn't working on this mission.

I've got a bunch of mods installed, JSRS included, and they all work just fine

@Kidnoff - this is what it's like when you have 150+ AI and vehicles on the map all at the same time in arma...nothing can be done about it.

Have you looked at ALiVE ?

• ALiVE features the revolutionary Virtual Profile System that supports thousands of units operating simultaneously across the map with minimal impact on performance. Unlike older caching systems, Virtual AI groups will continue to move, operate and fight and will seamlessly spawn into the visual game world when players are in range.

Have you looked at ALiVE ?

That's quite a sweet system, but you'd need the ALiVE-addon in order to play a mission with the profile system implemented. If there could be a script-only version of it, that'd be better in this regard.

^Exactly^ - and it's still a long way from being ready to even attempt to implement in a mission like this. When it's really ready and if it's ever in scripted modules form I will be taking a closer look.

Edited by BigShot

Would it be possible to implement manual placement of the enemy zones?

How should one go about gauging AI skill levels when using DUWS with an AI mod like bcombat? Apparently bcombat inherently lowers AI skill due to suppression/class level/etc by changing base ArmA AI skill levels, I believe...will DUWS AI skill level settings be stacking on top of this sort of stuff?

Should I be setting AI to max level in the DUWS pre-start config to compensate for the drop?

***NEW MARCH 06TH UPDATE FOR MODIFIED DUWS***

New As of March 06th, 2014:

- VEHICLE REFIT: now works at FOB's with the 0-8 menu just as it does at HQ! Thank you Kibot for helping me with that code!! No more having to drive up so close to FOBs anymore...works within 50m, even in choppers!...therefore the "repair" action menu item has been removed since it is not needed.

- NEW Parameter Option (in LAN/Internet mission lobby screen): Enable/Disable Attack Choppers; this is perfect for those who want to start mission with high AP (170-200) but do not want enemy choppers included...also saves fps performance over time! (N/A in Scenario mode since it's a param). By default the parameter is set to attack choppers disabled...so if you want choppers you'll have to go into the param menu to change it before mission starts.

- Workshop Version ONLY: old way of saving has been re-enabled so you should now be able to use RESUME in SP Scenario using the Steam Workshop version.

- bug fixed: REVIVE ISSUE - "Always on" Action items missing after respawning with REVIVE ON...this issue is now fixed and you will retain all your action items when playing with revive ON, however a side effect of this fix is that the "revive" action item will pop-up in your action menu whenever you are within close range of (3m) and pointing to someone you've already revived. I can't get rid of it, sorry...but not a bad trade-off really.

- more tweaks to default Opfor skill (best results with your main arma3 menu difficulty slider set to 0.3-0.5 for enemy and 1.0 for friendly)

- new default AP set to 170 (war starts slowly at first but gets intense by 3rd or 4th zone)...BEWARE:use with caution, will cause low fps after awhile...but most high end pc's should maintain 20-35fps. If you dont have a very strong pc then use low AP for start, or consider using the new parameter option to disable attack choppers.

- warcom script adjustments: seems that armored enemy vehicles will actually shoot now :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New As of March 10th, 2014:

- Helicopter Taxi & Boat Taxi Fixed: big improvement in chopper/boat behavior when enemy is detected, no more turning away from LZ or endless hovering in the air. Taxi is now operating much more solid, and can be used as reliable transportation, finally!

- HALO on RESUME/LOAD Fixed: When playing a "resumed" or "loaded" session Halo'ing will now give you back your backpack (assuming if you had one in your kit when jumping). Yay!

- HALO chemlights - if you use a chemlight or strobe during your HALO jump you now need to manually remove it after you land, or it will stay lit! (you can remove the light in your action menu).

As Always...both the PBO and Steam Workshop versions have already been updated..if you have not updated on or after March 10th, 2014 17:30GMT make sure to re-download & install.

Edited by BigShot

Hello BigShot. Thanks for continuing the development while the author is playing real life ;)

Couple things I might mention, after playing the original since game release (forget what version that was). Anyway, now that each player must buy a fast travel or whatever, why not make it so the squad leader must buy it for the group? It would make more sense that way.

What I did, rather than dig through that much code, was to use a JIPrespawn script I modified, and added a game logic as a respawn point, a named vehicle as a respawn point, and the script itself, which lets me choose to either spawn on a group member (if any are alive) or spawn the the game logic (at the HQ) or spawn to the mobile spawn (wherever we last parked it). In this manner, I can choose to spawn at the base, or spawn with my group.

If you were to change the halo/fasttravel/armory stuff to be on any member of the squad leader who called it, you could raise the cost and really achieve the same effect, but without each person needing to get their own menu item, which is what happens anyway really.

Another thing that would be nice is a text file that gives the location of dependency files for those who want to modify parameters. A good example is I wanted to created missions no further than 1km from HQ, so that it both works on smaller maps and just to make a faster game so you could walk/run into the zones (not to mentiion creates some interesting engagements inbetween zones). So rather than track down all the variable locations spread across so many files (which I would use windows GREP if I were to do it that way), I just modified 2 files. So, knowing how to customize parameters could be eased by knowing what files would need to be examined. It need not be all inclusive, just something like "for all mission setup parameters, look in these 5 files for the associated variable name".

My final question, if you know the answer, is why would the zones fail to be created on a large map? I was using altis and stratis obviously with no issues, but I tried it with Koplic custom, which is large enough and flat enough, but 9 times out of 10 the zones cannot be created. And thats even with them only being 2.5km from the hq with the hq placed in the middle of the map. What do I need to look for to fix this? Don't mind going into code either, as I really like Koplic lately and want to play this without setting the zones myself.

Good job thus far.

Couple things I might mention, after playing the original since game release (forget what version that was). Anyway, now that each player must buy a fast travel or whatever, why not make it so the squad leader must buy it for the group? It would make more sense that way.

I have not changed the way that the Fast Travel scripting works...it is the same now as it always was, EXCEPT I've attached a small per incident fee to it (2CP). For MP purposes (especially if we'd like to get this working good for dedi's one day) it's never a good idea to let only the host have control over items like this (or even group leader). To be honest this mission was written for SP and was never properly setup to have group members really. Originally it was all and ONLY group leaders which is better for MP...but then someone decided to add in playable group members which really gets things screwy if you buy some AI into your group and the a player JIP's also into your group...it causes issues. Same goes for making on certain things unlockable for only group leaders instead of all players...it confuses most people and makes things more difficult because then you have to all communicate or discuss which player should unlock what and who should not unlock what...this is actually the way it WAS...and it turned off too many people from getting to learn the mission because most folks have an attnetion span of 5 seconds or less, lol. So, making things accessible to everybody just makes the mission more palitable to the majority, less confusing to teach to new players, and is more fun since EVERYBODY has control over what they want or dont want to spend on.

What I did, rather than dig through that much code, was to use a JIPrespawn script I modified, and added a game logic as a respawn point, a named vehicle as a respawn point, and the script itself, which lets me choose to either spawn on a group member (if any are alive) or spawn the the game logic (at the HQ) or spawn to the mobile spawn (wherever we last parked it). In this manner, I can choose to spawn at the base, or spawn with my group.

If you're asking me to script in multiple respawn points...I've thought about it since the beginning but put it off because there were so many other things that needed to be done and everything is sooo time consuming, especially for me since I don't know scripting like the back of my hand so to speak:-)...I'd have to think about how to implement it carefully...in a way that wouldn't deter the use of either the FT or HALO. Because it would be free (and the whole idea of this mission is that almost nothing you decide to do should be free) I feel the smartest way to do multiple respawns would be to make special capturable enemy camps on the outskirts of the enemy zones and use your captured camps as possible respawn locations you can choose from after a death...but this would require alot more coding. The simplest way is to just incorporate a single mobile respawn unit vehicle...which I would consider but im not sure off the top of my head how to script it so that you wouldnt need the unit already exisitng on the map. If you are up to coding something like this yourself lemme know.

Another thing that would be nice is a text file that gives the location of dependency files for those who want to modify parameters. A good example is I wanted to created missions no further than 1km from HQ, so that it both works on smaller maps and just to make a faster game so you could walk/run into the zones (not to mentiion creates some interesting engagements inbetween zones). So rather than track down all the variable locations spread across so many files (which I would use windows GREP if I were to do it that way), I just modified 2 files. So, knowing how to customize parameters could be eased by knowing what files would need to be examined. It need not be all inclusive, just something like "for all mission setup parameters, look in these 5 files for the associated variable name".

I'm not doing this to help train players how to edit mission files TBH...I'm doing it to help players PLAY a fun mission that offers as much openness/freedom and playable options as my very limited skills can provide. This must sound stand-offish but believe me I'm not...if you'd talk to me in person you'd see that I love helping people and offering lots of advice, but, To be honest I teach for a living...and coming home to MORE teaching isn't exactly enjoyable for me, lol. I like being able to come home and be able to work at something without explaining every step of what/why im doing it :-)... I DO feel your pain though...took me quite a few weeks to really get familiar with all the scripts...and there are some I havent even bothered with yet (like the side missins).

My final question, if you know the answer, is why would the zones fail to be created on a large map? I was using altis and stratis obviously with no issues, but I tried it with Koplic custom, which is large enough and flat enough, but 9 times out of 10 the zones cannot be created. And thats even with them only being 2.5km from the hq with the hq placed in the middle of the map. What do I need to look for to fix this? Don't mind going into code either, as I really like Koplic lately and want to play this without setting the zones myself.

This I have no idea of since I've never used it on anything other than the 2 stock A3 maps thus far...and have not had a reason to analyze the zone creation scripts to see why that would happen.

@AbortedMan - nah...I appreciate the idea and all...but removing NVG from the enemy would just make things too easy...and if you want easy there are easier ways to accomplish that given all the parameters and options the mission offers you anyway :-)

Edited by BigShot

I have not changed the way that the Fast Travel scripting works..<snip>...since EVERYBODY has control over what they want or dont want to spend on.

Hmm. I thought the old armory came up for everyone when anyone purchased it? Might be wroing on that, but thats what my memory told me. But then he's not as reliable as he used to be ;) Maybe it was when the group size was increased but I never noticed it. That may cause issue in MP, but it has been a great asset being able to see your human squadmates if you are doing coop.

If you're asking me to script in multiple respawn points...<snip>... already exisitng on the map. If you are up to coding something like this yourself lemme know.

No, not to have multiple spawns. Only pointing out that if you don't want to use revive, and you are going to respawn at base and simply use a teleport or other method to get back to your squad fast, why not just incorporate a join on squad member (or any team unit for that matter) ? It would just be easier to achieve the same end result. You could easily do things like make it 1cp to spawn at base, 2cp to mobile and 3cp to squadmate/unit. I'm not really into the persistance and cost stuff myself, just the dynamic missions it can create, but you sure could do that stuff easy enough. I was also pointing out that with a bit different spawn system, you would not have to remember to buy fast travel/halo. Not that those features should be taken out, on the contrary, those I use more for getting somewhere that I should not be able to go to, and thats why they should cost I suppose.

Maybe look at it like this. You get in the game, you are by yourself, so no revive. A spawn system then works that lets you freely spawn at base. It might cost 1cp to spawn at the mobile spawn, if you used it and placed it near where you last were. If you really want to get back to the objective and your squad fast, you could pay 3cp to spawn to a living squadmate. If you really wanted to go somewhere that was outside of the base, the mobile spawn, or your squad, you are deviating from the "mission" you were on, and maybe a fast travel/teleport/halo cost much more, because its "extra-curricular" to what you were doing. If you forget to buy a teleport or whatever, maybe you don't have the funds yet, a base/cheap method is in place. I'm not saying to do this, I'm just sharing what I did and maybe offering a viewpoint for you to develop, or something :) And I already am coding some of this in. When I am done, I will show it to you and you can see what you think. If you want me to modify it to fit the way you or kilbot had, I don't care. Thats the beauty of arma, I can learn to adjust anyones missions to suit my tastes if I want. Not a total rework, whats the point in that, but I like the way my respawn on squadmates works better lol.

I'm not doing this to help train players how to edit mission files TBH...<snip>...and there are some I havent even bothered with yet (like the side missions).

I was only thinking of the mission parameters at startup, like zone sizing, etc. Thats the only thing that many might want to tweak themselves like I did, just to fit certain situations that the default options don't address. And it need only be a list of the files you modify yourself to tweak those areas. Users should be able to do everything else themselves. But looking through each file for a global, might take some time. Actually though I just looked through every file in the project for a global with windows GREP, it took about 10 seconds to return 4 files that used the variable.

This I have no idea of since I've never used it on anything other than the 2 stock A3 maps thus far...and have not had a reason to analyze the zone creation scripts to see why that would happen.

Well, I will let you know when I find out. Almost dug into that last night but figured might be easier to ask first lol.

Thanks for the lengthy reply. Much appreciated!

Hey guys,

New to Arma 3 here, picked it up last night and saw this mod on the steam workshop, loving it so far, but I can't figure one thing, once you've called for a Heli taxi how do you then pick the new LZ in the map? '

Sorry for the silly question :p