kibot

[SP]Dynamic Universal War System (DUWS alpha0.1)

Hi,

I just cant make DUWS work on my Server.

I do have a listed server. Everything looks fine and I can connect.

But then I am just swimming in the Water and nothing happens.

Do I need to do something special to make the server place the HQ or does it only work when I place the HQ manualy ?

Thanks

If I may redirect you to the very first post:

MP NOTES:

This mission can be played in coop. Regarding the nature of the DUWS, it must be run on a listen server. Does not work on a dedicated server. I suggest adding a password to your game, so only friends can join and no random guy will be able to trash your game.

Hi,

I just cant make DUWS work on my Server.

I do have a listed server. Everything looks fine and I can connect.

But then I am just swimming in the Water and nothing happens.

Do I need to do something special to make the server place the HQ or does it only work when I place the HQ manualy ?

sounds like you are not running a listen server at all...if you are trying to connect to a server then it means you're running the dedicatedserver.exe....this mission will not initialize on the dedi.

Use the "in-game" LAN or Internet mode instead.

2 other reasons for swimming:

- JIP (joining someone's server in progress) causes you to enter swimming sometimes...just respawn yourself once and all is fine (esc\respawn).

- You may be trying to resume from a previous save and not picking the same solider unit you last played as. You should never change roles after starting this mission as it causes too many scripting errors...always stick with the same role as when you started.

Edited by BigShot

sounds like you are not running a listen server at all...if you are trying to connect to a server then it means you're running the dedicatedserver.exe....this mission will not initialize on the dedi.

Use the "in-game" LAN or Internet mode instead.

2 other reasons for swimming:

- JIP (joining someone's server in progress) causes you to enter swimming sometimes...just respawn yourself once and all is fine (esc\respawn).

- You may be trying to resume from a previous save and not picking the same solider unit you last played as. You should never change roles after starting this mission as it causes too many scripting errors...always stick with the same role as when you started.

I am renting a Arma Server from a German Server Hoster "gamed!de"...

isnt this a listed server ?

***MODIFIED VERSION UPDATED TODAY***

New As of Feb 26th, 2014:

- fixed: the "No Fast Travel for Chopper Taxi" Option is now functioning as it should and is set as default.

- fixed: Personal Flir "enable/disable" addaction now works after respawning (under certain conditions you may notice 2 instances of enable appearing in action menu but it will still function properly).

- fixed: When Field Commander Ability unlocks, the Squad Manager Action Menu Item no longer disappears if player respawns.

- tweaked: Default AI skills

- Parameters: Death Penalty defaults at 1cp now, so you lose 1cp each time a human player gets killed.

- New Startup Option for AP Added (225ap is now default...all the other ap options are still there if you wish to choose them at startup).

I think for now this will be it...I fixed alot of little bugs from the original and added a ton more options to have fun with this past month. I may or may not decide on trying to get this working on dedicated servers, I'm just not sure yet...so you can keep an eye out for that possibly. As far as AI goes...it needs some work of course, but I refuse to go to work on the AI in this mission until AFTER BIS releases some more patches and we get closer to what a full retail release should have been. At least by then we can see and work with whatever AI changes they might have employed into the base game and then make a decision and take it from there so there won't be alot of wasted time banging heads against the wall right now...so we'll wait it out awhile and see. If DAC release (or ALIVE becomes scripted) I'd like to use that in this mission if BIS doesn't bother fixing it.

I hope you guys are enjoying it, and will continue to have fun with it...I know I will!!

Again...SUPER THANKS TO KIBOT!! (come back soon, we need you BAD!, lol)

Edited by BigShot

Thanks for this. It is wonderful ! I was playing Warfare Benny Edition in ArmA2 and was struggling to find anything for ArmA 3 until I found this. I was running the AI on a dedicated server to get better performance in ArmA 2, but with the better performance of ArmA 3 (so it seems) and of these scripts I can play this kind of thing and get a save system as well (no saves on dedicated servers and a database system was a nightmare to set up). So I just completed my first mission; blew up a comms tower. One things I noticed is that the AI seem to have a moral system which adds some fire supression ability, this without any AI addons ! Well done Bohemia and good stuff Kibot :yay:

I've been playing this mission for a while now and it's great! Thanks a lot for the update. :)

I was wondering if there was a way to give AI units under my command custom (downloaded) weapons and equipment without having to generate gear via VAS and having them pick it up from the ground. Perhaps manually adding unit types or using some kind of addon?

***MODIFIED VERSION UPDATED TODAY***

New As of Feb 26th, 2014:

- fixed: the "No Fast Travel for Chopper Taxi" Option is now functioning as it should and is set as default.

- fixed: Personal Flir "enable/disable" addaction now works after respawning (under certain conditions you may notice 2 instances of enable appearing in action menu but it will still function properly).

- fixed: When Field Commander Ability unlocks, the Squad Manager Action Menu Item no longer disappears if player respawns.

- tweaked: Default AI skills

- Parameters: Death Penalty defaults at 1cp now, so you lose 1cp each time a human player gets killed.

- New Startup Option for AP Added (225ap is now default...all the other ap options are still there if you wish to choose them at startup).

I think for now this will be it...I fixed alot of little bugs from the original and added a ton more options to have fun with this past month. I may or may not decide on trying to get this working on dedicated servers, I'm just not sure yet...so you can keep an eye out for that possibly. As far as AI goes...it needs some work of course, but I refuse to go to work on the AI in this mission until AFTER BIS releases some more patches and we get closer to what a full retail release should have been. At least by then we can see and work with whatever AI changes they might have employed into the base game and then make a decision and take it from there so there won't be alot of wasted time banging heads against the wall right now...so we'll wait it out awhile and see. If DAC release (or ALIVE becomes scripted) I'd like to use that in this mission if BIS doesn't bother fixing it.

I hope you guys are enjoying it, and will continue to have fun with it...I know I will!!

Again...SUPER THANKS TO KIBOT!! (come back soon, we need you BAD!, lol)

Brilliant work man, thanks a whole lot!

I've been playing this mission for a while now and it's great! Thanks a lot for the update. :)

I was wondering if there was a way to give AI units under my command custom (downloaded) weapons and equipment without having to generate gear via VAS and having them pick it up from the ground. Perhaps manually adding unit types or using some kind of addon?

There are inventory addon's. Dyslexi ? Don't know if it does what you want. The "long way round" ArmA inventory system is part of the simulator to simulate logistics of gear management in the field. Imagine if you were under fire. You would not be able to "magically" swap gear between soldiers. But at the base I guess the sim is different because you are actually in an amoury.

*** AGAIN, ANOTHER UPDATE TO MODIFIED VERSION, are you kiddin? (yep, it's true!) ***

Sorry folks...forgot to add the newest HALO script in the last update, plus a few other minor adjustments. Please view the newest readme in the zip for known issues.

New As of Feb 28th, 2014:

- tweaked default AI skills again (a little less harsh than previous update, best suited for having your OPTIONS/GAME/DIFFICULTY settings at 0.3, ...or even 0.5 for a more difficult challenge)

- tweaked default starting AP down to 200 (alot less attack choppers, sometimes none at all...depends)

- capped starting AP options at 250 for those who want attack choppers gauranteed to come.

- updated to newest HALO script (ATM Airdrop v6 by Pokertour...thank you!)

There are inventory addon's. Dyslexi ? Don't know if it does what you want. The "long way round" ArmA inventory system is part of the simulator to simulate logistics of gear management in the field. Imagine if you were under fire. You would not be able to "magically" swap gear between soldiers. But at the base I guess the sim is different because you are actually in an amoury.

Yep. I guess what I'm looking for is a solution that is not necessarily tied to battlefield simulation.

For example, yesterday I came across the "Whole Lotta Altis" mission, which I noticed includes a minor modification to VAS that allows us to change the loadout of the AI units in our squad through the same UI, as if we were modifying our own inventory. I think that would be an excellent addition to this mod. ;)

*** AGAIN, ANOTHER UPDATE TO MODIFIED VERSION, are you kiddin? (yep, it's true!) ***

Sorry folks...forgot to add the newest HALO script in the last update, plus a few other minor adjustments. Please view the newest readme in the zip for known issues.

New As of Feb 28th, 2014:

- tweaked default AI skills again (a little less harsh than previous update, best suited for having your OPTIONS/GAME/DIFFICULTY settings at 0.3, ...or even 0.5 for a more difficult challenge)

- tweaked default starting AP down to 200 (alot less attack choppers, sometimes none at all...depends)

- capped starting AP options at 250 for those who want attack choppers gauranteed to come.

- updated to newest HALO script (ATM Airdrop v6 by Pokertour...thank you!)

Thanks ! Sweet. I notice the Boat Taxi works in your version. Called in Kibot version and it never arrived, but I only tried it once in that version, could have been a random glitch.

One thing I'm interested in that I started looking into in ArmA2 is adding a navy element. the boat taxi is a start. It should be possible in the scripts to add boats and larger ships to the Commander --> Request Units --> Empty Vehicle list. But the script could do with detection of nearby water which then places the boat/ship there. If no water then it just spawns on land and it's the players problem how they get it to water :386:. Same with choosing a location with correct harbour depth for larger ships. Would work well with some of Gnat's add on's.

One problem we keep encountering is that when we die, we get teleported out to sea, which makes it .. hard to revive. Any idea why this happens?

Guys,

i'm playing the SP version. I've captured only three zones and my army is already so big that my performance is going downhill. I never hit the 20 fps anymore, so that's it for me. :(

When looking at the map and seeing what's going on, i'm really not surprised. I just never thought of that issue when starting, but it was sure that it's going cpu heavy. How's your performance after some hours gameplay ?

One problem we keep encountering is that when we die, we get teleported out to sea, which makes it .. hard to revive. Any idea why this happens?

Never had that. But I just got an issue where when taking a zone ArmA 3 froze. I restarted but my saved game had gone :(. I had to delete the DUWS Modified folder to get it to start. Tried copying from backup the auto save file but it still started a new game. Anyone else get this ? Seemed to happen when I was about to take the zone.

Guys,

i'm playing the SP version. I've captured only three zones and my army is already so big that my performance is going downhill. I never hit the 20 fps anymore, so that's it for me. :(

When looking at the map and seeing what's going on, i'm really not surprised. I just never thought of that issue when starting, but it was sure that it's going cpu heavy. How's your performance after some hours gameplay ?

I know the instructions say to keep the generated enemy zones to a minimum. Stared with 3, but have not got very far into it yet.

Guys,

Hi...you need to learn what all the setting choices do...next time try starting with 0 AP for enemy (or for both enemy and friendly)...the AP (army power) controls how many forces/resources are used....the higher the AP the more units and vehicles will be spawned during the mission and the more your performance will suffer!

I set the default AP to 200 ONLY to showcase what the mission is capable of....so tone it down next time. If you use common sense and you have a good cpu (4ghtz+) there's no reason you shouldnt be able to maintain 30+ fps. Even starting with 200AP, after playing for 4-5 hours i still get fps in mid 20s, depending on whats going on at the time and where I am on the map, etc. If you srart at a low AP you should expect to average over 30fps the entire mission with a modern cpu and graphics card.

Edited by BigShot

Oh and another little issue - when I die, Settings and MCC disappears from the mouse-wheel menu. Anyone else have this issue? (both with regular and modified DUWS)

Hi BS, i already started with very low AP. I guess it was less than 200. Playing for some hours now, i gained some points. I got lots of patrols and vehicles, that's too much obviously. I think about lowering the added points you earn for capturing/defending zones etc. Excellent work, keep it up! Arma3 will live and be a success with such great work.

Is there a way to set multiple saves ? It's possible to get into a "die on load" trap which means having to restart DUWS completely.

No, there isn't, i miss it too. Knowing the series, i always keep running a backup tool in the background to have different saves games.

No, there isn't, i miss it too. Knowing the series, i always keep running a backup tool in the background to have different saves games.

Thanks :). Of course. Should have thought of that :rolleyes:.

Oh and another little issue - when I die, Settings and MCC disappears from the mouse-wheel menu. Anyone else have this issue? (both with regular and modified DUWS)

I'm not certain what MCC is....but as for the settings, squad manager (field commander perk) & FLIR action menu items...it's been fixed already as long as you're playing with revive OFF...you need to download my latest version to get that fix. However, if you play with revive ON the revive script that Kibot uses is using code that actually deletes all the player action menu items after respawning. I've been trying to change that code so it only erases the "revive" action item as it should, but I have not been successful yet. Maybe Kibot will be able to help with the revive script. As far as the revive script issue, keep in mind that it only effects the "always on" action items and has no effect on the regular items that appear at HQ and FOB's.

Hi BS, i already started with very low AP. I guess it was less than 200. Playing for some hours now, i gained some points. I got lots of patrols and vehicles, that's too much obviously. I think about lowering the added points you earn for capturing/defending zones etc. Excellent work, keep it up! Arma3 will live and be a success with such great work.

yea I know it's difficult to resist using them but lots of vehicles and AI patrols will certainly "tank" your fps (no pun intended!,lol).

On another note - Kibot is back home on holiday for a short visit so I sent him an email regarding some fixes I've been trying to make...he's busy with another project while he's here but I'm hoping he may get a chance to offer me some insight...if so, I would probably release another update. We'll have to wait and see.

Also, Im still tweaking around with a good default AI skill setting and AP combo. I just tried playing with 170 Opfor AP and an Opfor skill of .35-.45 (while my arma3 difficulty slider is set at .3)...was alot of fun...took awhile to take first 2 zones so it was challenging but not frustrating. So, if there's another release I'll probably include these settings as default...but the players difficulty slider in the main arma3 menu will make a difference of course in how it feels/plays...

...so I was wondering if you guys could give me an idea of where the average player is keeping their difficulty slider these days. What do you guys use nowdays? .3, .4, .5, .1?

Hello,

is it possible to change the weather after its choosen one time? Is there a possiblity to edit the save file?

I hate "temperature cold" Weather setting. There is too much fog :-(.

Edited by tiga05

Have you considered adding a heli-lift script to your mission? Like RAV_Lifter for example.

Could be a nice addition, or at least something to consider.