kibot

[SP]Dynamic Universal War System (DUWS alpha0.1)

Either way, the fix I mentioned earlier (to remove opfor units too far from any blufor units) would fix it I think.... anyone feel like implementing that? :).
Just thinking out loud here.

The aim is to not have units sitting around that noone important will see. In the case of the enemy, those important people include not just the player but also the friendly AI that's trying to take over the map.

You could check every unit's distance from other units using a radius trigger. However it soon turns into a fairly big computational problem, and presumably has to be periodically run, a la the cleanup script. I wonder if there's a cheaper way.

Suppose we have existing zone A, currently in the hands of OPFOR. Then we create a larger radius trigger around A, and call this B. When there are no BLUFOR or players in B that aren't also in A, the OPFOR content of A is deleted. Restore it when BLUFOR enters B. Reverse the sides in this equation when the zone control changes hands.

This makes some assumptions: that OPFOR units at the enemy base are all at home, rather than in transit (can they be labelled?). Additionally if B intersects with another zone, this rule will either stop working, or work on the two combined.

That's the sort of thing I had in mind. Seeing as triggers are in-engine, they are probably the fastest way to check distances and such.

There's definitely a few ways to achieve the effect (as with anything). I personally don't have time to code it on top of the other bits I'm doing, which is why I asked if anyone else wants to do it.

In the previous versions I could slightly modify the request.sqf and request_squad.sqf to allow me to buy tank platoons, SP gun platoons and even an MLRS section. I tried the same modifications in version 0.75 and they don't work. In the game when I buy these units I get the Unit ready message. When I press left-ctrl + spacebar I can see my new tank platoon (where the HC units are displayed) for a second or two after which it disappears.

hi there,

first of, we love duws! but as we are playing with acre we do not know how we can change the radios. the 343 has a really poor range and we play often with 10-12 people with more than 500m distance to each other.

how can we change the standard 343 radio to the 148 instead?

would be great if someone can explain it to me and reply :)

regards

hi there,

first of, we love duws! but as we are playing with acre we do not know how we can change the radios. the 343 has a really poor range and we play often with 10-12 people with more than 500m distance to each other.

regards

I dont have ACRE installed just yet but do you know the item IDs for the 343 by chance?

I think it's

ACRE_PRC343 ill see what I can do really fast for you. Just as a quick check before I add this...The radios aren't loading in the armory for you by default?

UPDATE:

Sorry re-read the message and installed ACRE and see what you mean.

Edited by thegeekdiver

You can change the name of the mission in the editor. In the editor, open the Intel dialog (CTRL+W), change the mission name in there.

When you rename a mission, it will save the mission.sqm to the new folder, with the new mission name. This is basically just everything inside the editor. You need to then copy over all of the scripts into this new mission folder, then export to multiplayer.

In short:

• Open mission
  • Rename it in the intel config
  • Save the mission(with a new name)
  • Copy all scripts to the new mission folder
  • Edit values
  • Export to multiplayer

edit:

When naming a mission, your not allowed to use . or @ in the name.

Exactly what values am I editing? Can you be a little more specific and/or give examples?

Thanks!

hi there,

regards

Just did it quick and dirty there is a better way to do this but this will work for you for now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dhc2y25xjtuh45/SPMP_DUWSv075%28ACRE%29.Altis.pbo

ACRE breaks the VAS system so i didn't put in in the armory right now.

I've added the following in request_squad.sqf for buying a Tank platoon but it doesn't work in the latest version:

case 13:

{

_cost = 48;

_grouptype = (configFile >> "CfgGroups" >> "West" >> "BLU_F" >> "Mechanized" >> "BUS_TankPlatoon");

if (commandpointsblu1 >= _cost) then

{

_group = [_spawnPos, WEST, _grouptype, [], [], blufor_ai_skill] call BIS_fnc_spawnGroup;

player hcsetgroup [_group,""];

commandpointsblu1 = commandpointsblu1 - _cost;

ctrlSetText [1000, format["%1",commandpointsblu1]];

DUWS_number_meca = DUWS_number_meca + 1;

_group setGroupId [format["Tank Platoon %1",DUWS_number_meca]];

hint "Squad ready !\nAccess it with [L.CTRL - SPACE]";

}

else

{

hint "Not enough command points";

};

};

Man, I love this addon, but I'm having an issue with my player being stuck in the 'Helicopter Taxi'. I gave the pilot an LZ location, which he marked on the map, then he went straight up into a hover and won't leave the hover. I have no options to eject or anything, so I can't even parachute out, I'm just stuck up there.

Hello,

I'm having a problem when using version .75 with manually placed zones/HQ on Altis.

I've edited the INIT.sqf file accordingly, setting custom values for the zones/HQ, bluefor/opfor AI skill, army power, and command points. Whenever I start up the mission in SP, MP units spawn in the middle of the ocean when they should be disabled in SP through the isMultiplayer condition of presence. Also, when I check the Request Units menu, blufor AP shows a value of "any". In addition, the "WARCOM Initialized" notification does not show up.

This problem did not occur using the .74 versions. The unmodified version .75 mission with random zones/HQ seems to work fine though.

Man, I love this addon, but I'm having an issue with my player being stuck in the 'Helicopter Taxi'. I gave the pilot an LZ location, which he marked on the map, then he went straight up into a hover and won't leave the hover. I have no options to eject or anything, so I can't even parachute out, I'm just stuck up there.

I've been having the same problem, have you tried to disembark one of your squad, when I did that the helo landed.

Hello. Played DUWS for a little while and here are the problems that I encountered:

Sometimes when I get a "rescue squad" side mission, after I have rescued them , they join my squad, buy stay in a "wounded position" on the ground. I can see them spin around in that position and can't seem to heal them. So they stay in my squad and lay on the ground the whole time and do nothing. Reloading the scenario seemed to remove this problem.

I can't seem to find a way to resupply my squad mates with ammunition (very new to arma, maybe I just don't understand how). Resupply command works in weird ways and they don't seem to use ammo when I manually give it to them in their inventory.

Before I input DUWS setting my FPS is ~65, after I press Start it's about 50 and then it slowly drops to 25 as the game progresses (maybe after 4-5 captured bases). I understand that this happens because AI count grows as the army points rise, but some optimization would be nice. I don't know if it makes any difference, but when I played, destroyed transport did not disappear. I had a base in the middle of the map with a ~20 tank\apc cemetery.

I also had a problem with heli taxi when my taxi just stopped and hovered (wasn't even above LZ). There was no eject options (as I understand it's because the doors are closed).

This is the first mission I've loaded and I think it's great. I have played on Altis and Stratis and on both maps the AI unresponsive bug happened. I hope it can get ironed out.

1 idea: as well as being able to select side missions I would like to see these missions generated automatically if the player hasn't selected one for 20/30 minutes. Reason: when I select a side mission I always choose one close to my local field of operation, an auto generated one might appear on the far side of the map giving an incentive to players to travel deep in country behind enemy lines (I know I could select a behind enemy lines mission but I always plumb for the easy option/easier CP). Perhaps auto generated missions could have a timer attached to them and maybe a bigger CP bonus if completed in time.

Great mission, thanks and regards...

Noticed a bug where FOB names are duplicated.

Edited by Fawkes

V.75 has a constant cleanup script running now.
Just having a look at the feasibility of me doing anything code-wise, and wanted to check - the cleanup script is MP only, i.e. only works on a server, right?

I started mission and got message "waiting for the host to find HQ" and I spawn in the water...

I did some more testing with the contents itself, and for now I have one observation, and two questions.

Observation: if I cut down the number of created units in createzone.sqf, i.e. comment out about half the calls to stuff like execvm "createopteam.sqf", then I can have 20 zones and still get regularly shot to bits. That seems a fair indication it's a unit numbers problem, but it might also be one of the different scripts. More work to be done.

Question 1: in that same script, there are lots of sleeps. Why?

Question 2: Additionally, when calling the vehicle creation script for the 1500m zone, you wait for it to return (below), but this isn't done when creating patrols/teams, or for the smaller zones. Why?

if (_size <= 1500) exitWith  
{
     _vehcreate = ["OPF_F","armored",_trigger,_size] execVM "random_veh.sqf";
     waitUntil {scriptDone _vehcreate};
     sleep 10;

Edited by arewenotmen

Actually after trying to manually place the HQ and zones I have gotten a metric fuckton of script errors.

In the future will there be a way of defining what TYPE of zone and what units are in them? With manual zones all I get is a squad or two of infantry who barely patrol and no buildings spawn at all like in the random version. So being able to define AI behavior within the zone would be nice.

Yet more AI testing. I made all the 'create...' calls wait-based, and it didn't do anything on its own, except speed up the HQ menus significantly, though that may be my other work too. I also noticed that the calls to createzone are multithreaded, which I'll look at at some point.

Anyway, this was interesting:

4x patrols = success

4x patrols, 1x team = fail

1x team = success

1x patrol, 1x team = fail

Starting to look like it's not just sheer numbers alone.

I don't know which units I 'met', and it's too empirical to be useful yet, but something to go on. Got to leave it now, maybe some more this weekend.

I just played through v0.75 and for the first time in a while I didn't experience the "AI not attacking" bug :D I did observe the following other bugs:

* On a large number of occasions the helicopter taxi wouldn't land and in one case didn't take off (after specifying the landing zone). I'm not 100% sure what would cause this, but it possibly seemed to be triggered if something else would happen in the game, such as a friendly unit spotting an enemy unit, or enemies being detected near a FOB. I would not be able to disembark from the helicopter when this happens.

* Squad members would sometimes get 'stuck' where they would refuse to move anywhere (this happened about 3 times). I think this bug has been around for a while, for example I have experienced it on Stratis before.

* If a helicopter is bought at the main base, it can be placed too close to the base, so that it cannot take off because the rotor hits the base.

* I think there may be an issue with the way that the enemy AI places units that are purchased. I took over a enemy zone (a Barracks I think) and there were about 3 destroyed enemy wehicles (one of which was a helicopter) stacked on top of each other (see this image: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/595892468786535090/ACB9EA3AD292013A9CF8DD17C68A63DB787EAF9C/).

I've updated the mission to 0.75a.

It's mostly fixes, and now you should be able to place the HQ and the zones manually without issues. See the changelog for more infos.

I've made a quick, crappy image to show wich value you have to modify if you want to place manually stuff.

By the way, what did you do that made the player invincible? Was it simply the eventhandler method? Just wondering because it was actually pretty cool to spawn an F-18 in the editor, fly around, actually get shot down but still retain control of the aircraft as it went down instead of being instantly killed.

Some more testing and observations.

Changing the threading made no difference.

It did reveal that some things, in particular creating an enemy vehicle, are very very slow. Instead of iterating through all the CfgVehicles classes each time you want a vehicle, it's better to store the list of classes as a global variable, populated once in INIT.SQF, and select from that. I made this work - let me know if you want it.

It's not a group limit. On the typical 20x 1000-1500m zone map, there are about 180 enemy groups (patrols, teams, WP teams, fortification groups). Add vehicles, which are not in groups, and you have about 675 units. I put in a group limit of 140 (i.e. stop creating more after that point) and it still failed.

I'm also not convinced it's a unit numbers thing. In one test, out of 20 zones, 14 were fortified, and the vehicles were present too, about 40 of them in total. Apart from that, nothing - no other patrols. The fortified units still failed to engage me.

I'm afraid I think I'm going to give up as I can't narrow it down to a single issue to tackle.

i have a dedicated server and i cant use this mod because im not the ( host ) im the owner i rent a sever and the admin should have the ability to do hq stuff as well for if im not loged in and my friends want to join because i have to be a admin on the serve too theres nothing elss i can be i would love to use the mod so if you would please try to make this request happen i would love it