kibot

[SP]Dynamic Universal War System (DUWS alpha0.1)

I totally forgot about a dinner I had planned this evening (oops). So I didn't get a chance to work on it. I'll be starting tomorrow instead :).

Thanks for pointing me to the steam page, seems to be a more active community than here! I find steam doesn't really support discussions as well as a forum, so I'll be sticking to this to talk things out. That said, I'll have a read through for some ideas.

Good to see your top two bugs are the ones I'll be fixing first :).

At first glance, people seem to like the idea of having ambient civilians around. I'm thinking a -0.5cp penalty for shooting them, and an option to have them disabled.

Could anyone explain to me where I put the INIT file so I can manually place zones?

I just jammed the pbo and folder next to it into my missions folder and the mission works but I can't manually do anything, despite having changed values in the INIT.

Do I somehow do that in the editor? Thank you.

Could anyone explain to me where I put the INIT file so I can manually place zones?

I just jammed the pbo and folder next to it into my missions folder and the mission works but I can't manually do anything, despite having changed values in the INIT.

Do I somehow do that in the editor? Thank you.

Put the mission folder in your Documents/Arma 3/Missions folder. Change the values you want, load the map in the editor, press Save As, choose "Export To Multiplayer", then load it as normal.

Put the mission folder in your Documents/Arma 3/Missions folder. Change the values you want, load the map in the editor, press Save As, choose "Export To Multiplayer", then load it as normal.

I've placed the files so I can open them in the editor and as I said, I changes values in the INIT, the problem is I don't seem to understand what to manipulate (The Gamelogic?) to place my zones in the editor. It states something in the INIT about (In the Gamelogic... and then there are lines of code. I don't know where you type that stuff in, if you even do. I exported the mission as is (that is, I changed nothing), and in scenarios, it's a blank picture scenario and if I load it, I am simply sitting in the water with nothing initializing.

Is there any way to put the name of the map that is configured for each mission in the ArmA 3 mission list so I know which one is which? Hard to tell what is what. If more maps come out that are converted, I'm not sure how to tell which one I'm loading.

Be gentle, I am very new to ArmA 3.

Thanks!

Anybody?

To better explain, when I launch ArmA 3 and goto Scenarios, I see 2 "[sP/MP] Dynamic Universal War". Everything after is cut off. What is for Stratis and one is for Altis. How do I tell which one is for which map?

Is there a way to change the name of the mission so I know which map is tied to which one?

Thanks!

Anybody?

To better explain, when I launch ArmA 3 and goto Scenarios, I see 2 "[sP/MP] Dynamic Universal War". Everything after is cut off. What is for Stratis and one is for Altis. How do I tell which one is for which map?

Is there a way to change the name of the mission so I know which map is tied to which one?

Thanks!

Yes, this ties into my question as well, I see both, and one doesn't work. It's confusing. When I try to change it and export, it pulls out all the code from the mission and im just sitting in the water.

Yes, this ties into my question as well, I see both, and one doesn't work. It's confusing. When I try to change it and export, it pulls out all the code from the mission and im just sitting in the water.

I don't have that problem. Both work, but I can't tell which one is which.

I don't have that problem. Both work, but I can't tell which one is which.

You can change the name of the mission in the editor. In the editor, open the Intel dialog (CTRL+W), change the mission name in there.

When I try to change it and export' date=' it pulls out all the code from the mission and im just sitting in the water. [/quote']

When you rename a mission, it will save the mission.sqm to the new folder, with the new mission name. This is basically just everything inside the editor. You need to then copy over all of the scripts into this new mission folder, then export to multiplayer.

In short:

• Open mission
  • Rename it in the intel config
  • Save the mission(with a new name)
  • Copy all scripts to the new mission folder
  • Edit values
  • Export to multiplayer

edit:

When naming a mission, your not allowed to use . or @ in the name.

Edited by timsk

Both Altis and Startis maps slow down for me after an hour of game play, starts off in the 60's, then ends up in the low 20's and high teens and never goes above that. I tried rebooting but the saved game still has low fps. Could this because more AI is introduced as game play advances?

You can change the name of the mission in the editor. In the editor, open the Intel dialog (CTRL+W), change the mission name in there.

When you rename a mission, it will save the mission.sqm to the new folder, with the new mission name. This is basically just everything inside the editor. You need to then copy over all of the scripts into this new mission folder, then export to multiplayer.

In short:

• Open mission
  • Rename it in the intel config
  • Save the mission(with a new name)
  • Copy all scripts to the new mission folder
  • Edit values
  • Export to multiplayer

edit:

When naming a mission, your not allowed to use . or @ in the name.

Oh, great, thanks, sorry I'm really new to all this. One more question, when it says to put things like _null=["OP Xander",20,200,getpos this,true,false] execvm "initZones\createzone.sqf" in the 'Gamelogic' does that mean I generate a Gamelogic object and put that text into the initialization Box or what?

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

Both Altis and Startis maps slow down for me after an hour of game play, starts off in the 60's, then ends up in the low 20's and high teens and never goes above that. I tried rebooting but the saved game still has low fps. Could this because more AI is introduced as game play advances?

Mostly, yes. It's the way the mission works at the moment. Try putting in less capturable zones and smaller diameters

Oh, great, thanks, sorry I'm really new to all this. One more question, when it says to put things like _null=["OP Xander",20,200,getpos this,true,false] execvm "initZones\createzone.sqf" in the 'Gamelogic' does that mean I generate a Gamelogic object and put that text into the initialization Box or what?

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

Mostly, yes. It's the way the mission works at the moment. Try putting in less capturable zones and smaller diameters

Could you both PM me your computer specs, or post them here? I've played games that have lasted 6+ hours and have had no lag, but I have a pretty decent system.

One more question, when it says to put things like _null=["OP Xander",20,200,getpos this,true,false] execvm "initZones\createzone.sqf" in the 'Gamelogic' does that mean I generate a Gamelogic object and put that text into the initialization Box or what?

If you load the map up in the editor, look in the bottom left of the map and you should see a GameLogic object. Put it in the initialization for this object. Also, your missing a semi colon at the end of that code snippet, might trip you up if you add more than one line of code.

Could you both PM me your computer specs, or post them here? I've played games that have lasted 6+ hours and have had no lag, but I have a pretty decent system.

If you load the map up in the editor, look in the bottom left of the map and you should see a GameLogic object. Put it in the initialization for this object. Also, your missing a semi colon at the end of that code snippet, might trip you up if you add more than one line of code.

Okay, yes I see the GameLogic object. So I put in the code just for HQ in that object or I put code for enemy zones as well in there?

I currently have:

Intel i7 3770K 3.5 Ghz

6gb Ram

Geforce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB

Win 7

After some tweaking I can get decent FPS for several hours. I do run mostly on Ultra, though.

Edited by Corsa1r

Hey guys, I'm starting work on DUWS this evening. I wanted to get some opinions / suggestions on the stuff I'll be implementing (I'm hoping to get at least some of it in the official release):

• Add squad leaders to each platoon (No reason for Alpha 1-1-1 to be the only squad leader). Also add more variety in the starting setup choices (reduces need for armory early on).

• Add radio commands to high command squads for different waypoints (e.g: S&D, enter vehicle, dismount, guard). I already have this coded, just need to put it in this system.

• Save all players supports and position when exiting a game (Players currently spawn at Main Base without any supports upon reconnect).

• Improve side mission multiplayer compatibility. Let everyone start and finish side missions, and sync task updates alerts across all players.

• Make enemies occupy and patrol towns if they spawn near one (objective near a town? They will be patrolling inside buildings, will make for some great urban fights).

• Add a second stage of FoB fortifcation. More expensive, spawns bunkers and sandbags.

Everything above is pretty trivial to get done, so any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks :).

Also wanted to comment on the revive system that someone implemented above.... That doesn't really make sense for this system I don't think. When you die, you respawn back at base and have to carry on the operation from there, or regroup, which works really nicely with the feeling of war.

more ideas:

1. allow ai soldiers to be transferred between human squad players.

2. allow human players to join the same squad

3. allow hq to be upgraded with 'autonomous GMG and HMG', sandbags, helo pads(aesthetics?), bunkers (you get the idea). maybe when AP grows, HQ grows too? like that military cargo building starts spawning, or watch towers, chain link fences (aesthetics)

4. implement unmanned vehicles (UGV and UAV armed)

5. salvage/recovery of wrecks (like arma 2 cti) which would return cp/ap

6. make blufor and opfor ai set up roadblocks(like that showcase where they park two cars in the middle of the road) or checkpoints along roads to zones/ likely routes of advance

7. make opfor spawning be more consistent. what i mean is have more opfor vehicles roaming around/ attacking hq. rather than an attack consisting of 5 guys

8. option to repair HQ/ FOB. the military prefab can be damaged, would be nice to have repair option

9. role specific abilities? engineer repairs better/ faster, medic heal better/faster, squad leader inspires men, so on and so forth

10. buy vehicle with crew directly

11. opfor FOB?

12. buy upgrades and fortifications for zones

13. convoy( ground) taxi vs helo taxi. differentiate by cost(helo more expensive). make it like gta 5 taxi, where fast traveling costs extra. also maybe a way to make vehicles in squad join convoy so that they arrive together.

i'll add more when i can think of them. feel free to rebut/comment/say why its impossible based on the numbers. thank you for your work. i look forward to playing your version

Edited by nuker22110

Man it's hard to reply to lots of people at once!

You both have decent computer specs, Be good to get to the bottom of whats killing your frames. I've tried but can't reproduce any performance issues. I ran a game for 3 hours with 20 zones and saw no drop in FPS. I run at 50 FPS on very high - ultra settings.

After some tweaking I can get decent FPS for several hours. I do run mostly on Ultra, though.

What did you tweak?

So I put in the code just for HQ in that object or I put code for enemy zones as well in there?

HQ and zones. The init file walks your through this pretty well I think.

Some good ideas nuker, thanks. I really like the idea of bases and FoBs growing with your AP automatically, this combined with the improvements to AP in general (scaling enemies) will make it feel much more alive.

implement unmanned vehicles (UGV and UAV armed)

This should be easy enough, I'll throw them in this evening and see what happens (you can already get the UAV terminal from the Armory).

I've already made some progress on some of the stuff we've mentioned here, I'll be polishing and testing this weekend and hopefully get a new release this weekend if Kibot is around. So keep an eye out :).

This should be easy enough, I'll throw them in this evening and see what happens (you can already get the UAV terminal from the Armory).

I've already made some progress on some of the stuff we've mentioned here, I'll be polishing and testing this weekend and hopefully get a new release this weekend if Kibot is around. So keep an eye out :).

what have you already implemented?

what have you already implemented?

I don't want to say just yet in case the testing goes badly at the weekend. Have patience :).

About recycling wrecked vehicles i have an idea.

A Helo Taxi with CH-49 helicopter and equipped lift script could fly to the designated vehicle (friend and foe) (call him via comm menu) and lift the vechicle back to base or map boundaries and give the user cp for recycled vehicles.

I think that would look pretty well.

A suggestion for sometime in the future. I hope this scenario will be made to work with the WWII Invasion 1944 mod when it is released for Arma 3. http://www.invasion-1944.com/ I don't think it's coming anytime soon, but it would be great to play this scenario in a WWII setting someday.

To the guys complaining about the mission lagging after several hours, have you tried a cleanup script? I had the same problem but once I used a script to delete destroyed vehicles and dead bodies it was immediately solved.

Hey I tried this in SP for 20 min or so and it looks really nice. I am planning on playing it with some friends but I have a few questions for anyone who has played it first:

1. Does the enemy and friendly ai coordinate attacks and patrols independant of you? or will you only find enemy and friendly ai within the specified zones?
  2. Do zones reappear in different areas when captured?
  3. Will the enemy try to retake captured zones?
  4. In Multiplayer will there still be friendly ai squad leaders or will only playrs be the squad leaders?

Thanks for any answers anyone may offer and thanks for your work timsk and kibot. I think I am going to be wasting many hours on it!

Ethrendil:

It already has a cleanup script in place. Whenever you save (rest/save at main base) it cleans everything up.

-Coulum-:

1-Yes

2-No

3-Yes

4-Still friendly AI squads patrolling and attacking.

To those of you wanting a cleanup script, please remember that this already has a cleanup system in-place and there is no guarantee that putting another cleanup system in won't break anything.

1-Yes

2-No

3-Yes

4-Still friendly AI squads patrolling and attacking.

Thanks! I was just wondering how player centric it was. Sounds like I can twittle my thumbs all day and interesting stuff will still be happening. Awesome. Looking forward to sinking some serious hours into this next weekend. Keep up the hard work.