kibot

[SP]Dynamic Universal War System (DUWS alpha0.1)

@BigShot: Since when did you began to had those freezing issues ? Because if it happened not so long ago but now you have to go back all the way down to 0.3, it might be a bug introduced by BIS. I don't recall anyone having those freezing issues when it was still in 0.6

I started reporting it to you in v7.0 im pretty sure because that's when you released the MP version for LAN. BUT before that version i played only a little bit here and there and never really played through the entire mission. But yes initally i started noticing crashes in v7. Yes it's possible its a BIS bug, but i didn't really think so only because it's the only mission crashing on me...but I dont play tons of missions so it still COULD be a BIS issue.

That being said, however, now that im really testing this and spending more time with it I AM getting crashes in 6 and 5 as well...Im down to into the 4's right now and so far I have not crashed here...but still not done testing in 4 yet. I've had enough for tonight...I'll report back tomorrow again (Monday). Hopefully one of the v4's will not crash. Then you'll have a chance at least to figure it out (whether its a BIS thing or not).

I'm spending so much time trying to help out because I really think it's a nice mission with tons of replay value. I can play this over and over again just like I play the Warfare missions and Evo's. I'm VERY picky about missions so when I find one like this that I like I want to see it continue. This was a great idea you had so please don't give up on it. Still hoping to see fast travel between HQ & FOB's :-)....after this is all fixed up of course. Right now this needs to be figured out one way or another.

Thanks for working through it all...your efforts are very much appreciated!

I ended up getting a freeze after awhile with 0.73b so I switched to 0.73d and played through clearing the first zone no problems but decided to restart since my HQ was in a spot where spawning vehicles spawned in a wall and instantly blew up half the time. As soon as it found all the zones it froze.. I stopped it with task manager, restarted and cleared the first zone again just fine. Really not sure what's going on anymore lol. I'll try it some more tomorrow and see what happens. Hopefully we can get this figured out.

Like BigShot said, this is a great idea and still has tons of potential so thanks for working on it.

Hey kibot, first off, awesome mission. It's one of the most fun experiences I've had in any game. The concept is pure genius, I love how there are elements borrowed from strategy games.

As for the freezes, I've been getting them constantly on versions 0.73 b, c, and d. These would happen any time shortly after I encountered an enemy. I noticed that enemies were being called out by AI as unknown units, which was weird. The enemies wouldn't shoot back, and my AI units wouldn't engage them. Upon approaching the enemies, my game would freeze and would have to be killed in the task manager.

I tested numerous possible causes in each version, SP vs MP, conflicting addons, custom base placement, extra resources added in the editor, zone size, etc. This was all on the latest dev build.

After all that, it was the weirdest thing. The weather setting of all things was what was causing it. Whenever I set the weather to arid, which I always did because rain is annoying, the freezes would happen. Upon changing the weather to tropical or mediterranean, the problem was gone.

Anyways, hopefully this helps narrow down the cause of the freezes. Awesome job on the mission and thanks for making it. :)

@apathetik - Arid weather ay?, hmmm...that's very interesting. Fact is, I've been using only the arid setting since I've been getting the crashes!...I will test this out today on my end and see what happens...this would be too easy, lol!!

@ Kibot

I don't think it's anything you did directly. I played even the version 5 about two weeks ago with no problems. I suspect that there is something in one of the updates that is conflicting with your scripting. Something that's implemented when the enemy forces are near the "player" unit.

P.S. I can also confirm, I use the "arid" weather setting most of the time. Wow, ^ APATHETIK that is some interesting stuff. That is just wild to think the weather setting may be causing it.

Edited by SabotAndHeat

Ok well I just played through 73d for a couple hours (using default weather setting, NOT arid)...NO CRASHING. Guess it's the Arid weather thats bugged...have not tried any other weather settings though. FOG was too much for me, didn't care for that...a clear weather theme might work good...or at least a disable fog setting or something.

Other than a disabling fog option here's a couple more ideas for you Kibot:

1. If you're going to take off -5 points as a death penalty to players, then...you should reward +2.5 points for each kill a player earns (better off changing the -5 to a -4 as the penalty, then +2 for the reward)

2. Include some sort of free vehicle that can be requested from the HQ menu...such as a bicycle or something (that way if you have zero points or negative points at least you can get around for awhile instead of jogging 3km). It would also be helpful if you could request this free vehicle from an FOB.

Edited by BigShot

yep same here was using arid weather as my preferred setting due to heavy fog on other weather settings on previous versions of the mission

Used to crash as you got close to ai normaly could play for more than 5 mins at most before a crash

Just tried with mediterianian weather and seems fine so far,had good 20 mins of play inside the first zone,ai engaging at range again now even got shot at by apc too! :)...will do so some further testing later!.

all this was with v 0.7c btw

It's probably the weather system that causes the crashes. That is the only thing I modified between 0.73b and 0.73c, because using the arma3 command setFog with a fog intensity of 0 was causing the AI to stop shooting (Thanks L'etranger for the head up on that).

Right now, the Arid setting use:

1 setFog [0.0001, 0, 0];

I just tested that and I had thoses crashes.

I've changed that to:

1 setFog [0.0001, 0.01, 0.01];

I tested it once and didn't had the crash.

So I updated the mission with this, version is now 0.73e. Try it.

All I can say is that setFog array is extremely bugged.

I reported this bug in the bug tracker, you can upvote it: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=14232

Would be nice if we can have an ALTIS version from the Steam Workshop instead of renaming it everytime... :)

I cant even find where the workshop files are, lol...me dumb... :)

Nice job!

I am so glad you gave us the source for the missions, I can easily plug in any home made script I want for my server now.

Double Post, is there a reason after editing the mission it will cause the game to crash loading it from the main menu or on creating a server under multiplayer?

I edited ammo crate, added a support, defined something in desc.

Heres the edit

oh! ouch! lol forgot to change something.

I will let you know if it stops crashing.... Got any ideas though?

case 12:
   {
        if (commandpointsblu1 >= 8) then 
            {
             if (!support_personalizer_available) then
               {
                 commandpointsblu1 = commandpointsblu1 - 8;
                 ctrlSetText [1000, format["%1",commandpointsblu1]];
                 hq_blu1 addaction ["<t color='#11ffff'>Personalizer</t>","InventorySystem\createInventoryDialog.sqf", "", 0, true, true, "", "_this == player"];
                 lbSetColor [2103, 5, [0, 1, 0, 1]];
                 support_personalizer_available = true;
			  publicVariable "support_armory_available";
                 ["armory",["Personalizer Unlocked","Access the Personalizer at the HQ and at the dropped supply crates"]] call bis_fnc_showNotification;
               }
             else
               {
                 hint "This support is already available";
               };
            } 
         else 
            {
              hint "Not enough command points";
            };
   }; 	

};]

Edited by SturmFalkeRDA

just thought i'd post a quick update.

Just played v0.73e coop for 1hr 30mins+ with a friend with arid weather settings,no crashes.

realy enjoyed that,nice to be able to enjoy with a m8 or 2!

good job kibot...looking forward to future updates!

Played v0.73e over lan today. Still have the problem where the AI doesnt want to fight. We did a fresh install and we used 17 outposts on altis.

All default settings other than staring cp of 40 and commando AI levels. Starting military power of 10 for each side. Kind of a bummer. We just want to play this awesome mission.

Interesting that it turned out to be weather. I actually thought it might have been the weather at one point but then thought that I had gotten freezes with the default weather as well. Guess I was wrong. Glad this got sorted out and it wasn't even anything wrong with the mission :D nice work.

@shogunZ: Wich weather setting were you using ? If you don't recall correctly, you can look at that inside the .rpt file of the host who started the mission.

The weather seemed to be irrelevant. We tried Mediterranean, and both temperate settings and still had problems with the AI. For the most part the AI works but after an hour or so they just become uninterested in fighting.

Also I have never had a vehicle fire at me.

This has all taken place in the current dev build on Altis.

So what do I need to do to add another addaction support? changed INIT, ammobox, request.sqf, description.ext, request_support.sqf, and tried to add a clone of the armory but with a customizer. when I press the buy support button or whatever on my custom thing nothing happens, but everything else works lol.

I am a bit clueless with advanced stuff like this, so any help I would love, thanks!

**EDIT** OMG LOL!

I forgot Support Init!

It works!

case 12:
   {
        if (commandpointsblu1 >= 8) then 
            {
             if (!support_personalizer_available) then
               {
                 commandpointsblu1 = commandpointsblu1 - 8;
                 ctrlSetText [1000, format["%1",commandpointsblu1]];
                 hq_blu1 addaction ["<t color='#11ffff'>Personalizer</t>","InventorySystem\createInventoryDialog.sqf", "", 0, true, true, "", "_this == player"];
                 lbSetColor [2103, 12, [0, 1, 0, 1]];
                 support_personalizer_available = true;
			  publicVariable "support_personalizer_available";
                 ["armory",["Personalizer Unlocked","Access the Personalizer at the HQ and at the dropped supply crates"]] call bis_fnc_showNotification;
               }
             else
               {
                 hint "This support is already available";
               };
            } 
         else 
            {
              hint "Not enough command points";
            };

Edited by SturmFalkeRDA

@ SturmFalkeRDA: you forgot to close the last bracket (the "case 12" bracket).

@shogunZ: Could you try "Arid" next time ?

If people are still experiencing issues with the AI, I will have to disable the fog completely until BIS do something about this.

If you haven't done it already, you can upvote the issue: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=14232

Edited by kibot

@ SturmFalkeRDA: you forgot to close the last bracket (the "case 12" bracket).

@shogunZ: Could you try "Arid" next time ?

If people are still experiencing issues with the AI, I will have to disable the fog completely until BIS do something about this.

Yeah, that was just a part of the code, if I may ask why does it look like the trained soldiers upgrade and armory are handled differently or specially?

I went ahead and treated my customizer like those too. It works (well the camera goes crazy because hes inside a building but thats just the camera LOOOL)

I want to thank you again for this amazing mission!

Sturm!

So, is the AI disbanding a bug of the mission, my copy, or a bug in BI's AI code? I haven't seen an answer to it. What I'm talking about is how you can have 6 (or 3, etc) guys in a squad and slowly over time, without ever taking fire, they'll disband from your squad and do their own thing. You can't get them back (or at least I don't know how to).

To test it easily, put 5 guys in the Hunter and drive it into a wall at a decent speed. The guys will get out (be fine), circle a bit, and then get back in. But they will no longer be in your squad, so you can't command them. Also happens with the IFV. The gunner may still target/shoot people, but you can't command him.

Other times it'll happen when you're just running to a point and they'll slowly drop off, while still being alive. I usually have to go back and shoot them, I don't like cowards on my patrol! ;) :P

So, is the AI disbanding a bug of the mission, my copy, or a bug in BI's AI code? I haven't seen an answer to it. What I'm talking about is how you can have 6 (or 3, etc) guys in a squad and slowly over time, without ever taking fire, they'll disband from your squad and do their own thing. You can't get them back (or at least I don't know how to).

To test it easily, put 5 guys in the Hunter and drive it into a wall at a decent speed. The guys will get out (be fine), circle a bit, and then get back in. But they will no longer be in your squad, so you can't command them. Also happens with the IFV. The gunner may still target/shoot people, but you can't command him.

Other times it'll happen when you're just running to a point and they'll slowly drop off, while still being alive. I usually have to go back and shoot them, I don't like cowards on my patrol! ;) :P

What? LOL?

I had to disable this in the configs for this mod

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?161738-Fire-Fight-Improvement-System/page14

Do you have this?

If not.. wierd.. I will have to test this as well!

I did notice this was happening way too much, but I thought it was FFIS, I have not tested it with random temporary leavings disabled.

So I guess it might be the mission? I will test this tomorrow!

What? LOL?

I had to disable this in the configs for this mod

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?161738-Fire-Fight-Improvement-System/page14

Do you have this?

If not.. wierd.. I will have to test this as well!

I did notice this was happening way too much, but I thought it was FFIS, I have not tested it with random temporary leavings disabled.

So I guess it might be the mission? I will test this tomorrow!

Yeah, I think I have that. I'll look into disabling it. Thanks for the heads up. It's been comical at times. One time I did a helo taxi behind enemy lines with 5 AI, we landed, the chopper took off .. landed 300 feet away and four of my five AI guys boarded then flew off. It was a wtf moment.

@ Kibot

Tried 0.73e yesterday, with "arid" and I played for about two hours and had no issues at all. Had some great fire fights though!

Thanks.