kibot

[SP]Dynamic Universal War System (DUWS alpha0.1)

@kibot

Thanks for the quick response. Loaded it up.... could not exit the base. Talked to the commander. Found out reason doors didn't work for me... or at least they do now.

Edited by WolfFlight

Hello guys,

v0.6 is coming, with a lot of bug fixes and "under the hood" tweaks.

The main new features will be the addition of little "prefabs" sets of buildings. No more "Zone 1", "Zone 2", "Zone 3", etc... Instead you'll have "Command outpost", "Outpost", "Comm station", etc for example.

With a regex(thanks to boozdeuvash!) and very little editing, I can convert objects placed with the 3d editor of ArmA3 from an absolute pos in the world from a relative pos. This enables me to create a "prefab" at a random pos where I want it on the map.

Now I will ask a bit of your help.

Since playing around with the built-in 3d editor is kind of fun and easy to use, you can contribute to the development of the DUWS by adding prefabs. I've already made 3:

i4Thnts.jpg PKySPfs.jpg SCmkUgs.jpg

When a zone is being generated, a prefab is taken randomly from the pool of prefabs and placed in the middle of the zone.

You can help me by creating prefabs for the DUWS.

If you want to contribute, I've made a quick crappy manual.

NOTE: If you are making prefabs, you may want to unlock more objects for the editor. By default there isn't a lot of objects.

Edited by kibot
added link

Hello guys,

v0.6 is coming, with a lot of bug fixes and "under the hood" tweaks.

The main new features will be the addition of little "prefabs" sets of buildings. No more "Zone 1", "Zone 2", "Zone 3", etc... Instead you'll have "Command outpost", "Outpost", "Comm station", etc for example.

With a regex(thanks to boozdeuvash!) and very little editing, I can convert objects placed with the 3d editor of ArmA3 from an absolute pos in the world from a relative pos. This enables me to create a "prefab" at a random pos where I want it on the map.

Now I will ask a bit of your help.

Since playing around with the built-in 3d editor is kind of fun and easy to use, you can contribute to the development of the DUWS by adding prefabs. I've already made 3:

http://uppix.net/i4Thnts.jpg http://uppix.net/PKySPfs.jpg http://uppix.net/SCmkUgs.jpg

When a zone is being generated, a prefab is taken randomly from the pool of prefabs and placed in the middle of the zone.

You can help me by creating prefabs for the DUWS.

If you want to contribute, I've made a quick crappy manual.

This is a good idea.

Can you also possibly implement spawns for the UAV Control panels and the UAV and UGVs. I'm dying to use those in this mission. Also if anyone can tell me how to edit them in myself I would do that also. Thanks. Big Thanks on this. Basically all my ArmA 3 time is 80% this and 20% editor.

And this latest version now in the Workshop? So that Steam will automatically sync and get the latest version?

No, the v0.6 is not out yet, I still need to add a decent amount of prefabs first.

I will also definitely add the drones.

Definitely gonna have a go making a prefab (prefabs). Also thanks for planning to add the drones, also as an update to that VAC includes the terminal in it's items so that's one less thing to do.

Seems like a cool mission, but I am any recommendations for initial squad/vehicle build and should I go straight for a zone or a side mission?

Seems like a cool mission, but I am any recommendations for initial squad/vehicle build and should I go straight for a zone or a side mission?

I would unlock the helo taxi support and go for a side mission first, but it's really up to you on how you want to play this.

Here, I just implemented a squad manager interface, since I had a few requests for it:

ODQVUtl.jpg

Basicly, you will be able to make your own High Command squads now :yay:

Cool.

Thanks for adding this feature.

But...

How will it work with Helicoper Squads? Do it work? Or stays the Heli on the ground? What is about this "Load in, Load out, Get in, Get Out" path commands in HC Mode? How is this supposed to work? Work this only with manned vehicle (like Heli Taxi) or unmanned vehicle, too?

CU Livedeath

@Kibot, you should mention Steam Workshop in your first posting and also make a note on how up-to-date you keep it.

I like seeing missions in Steam Workshop. I heard it is no problem unless you do not use additional addons.

At the beginning of your mission (dev branch), the vehicles spawn way too close at (inside) the metal building and tend to explode.

v0.6 is out !

Highlights:

-Squad manager interface

-Zone 1/2/3... are remplaced by prefabs sets of buildings objects

-HQ is now guarded

-Added music and radio chatter

-A lot of tweaks and little fixes

See the changelog for a full list.

I love this mission, hours of fun! I have now finished my first "playthrough" on Stratis, and I now want to try the mission on another map. I've read here that you have to change the name of the mission or something from stratis.pbo to chernarus.pbo or something like that. I have downloaded the mission through SW, and I can't seem to find the right file. I've tried to go into userdata/somenumbers/ugc/referenced/therightnumberforthismission, and changed Stratis to Chernarus. Didnt do anything, no errors, no new map, just Stratis.

I have not downloaded any maps to A3, so do I have to download the All in Arma(or something?)maps/mod/whatever to get it to work? I would, as far as possible, like to use the SW now that i've already got some exp and stuff on the mission. I can of course download the file and do it manually, if that is needed to make it work!

Again, great work. I can't wait to see the further "development" of this mission. I will also report any bugs/suggestions/stuff that I come a cross!

Thanks,

Haarfagr

Glad to hear you like the mission :).

First, your xp is saved inside your profile (not really the xp but the values from where the xp is calculated), so you are not obligated to use any specific version of the DUWS. Your stats are safe ;).

I'll advise you to download the mission from the link in the first page, It'll be easier for you.

Then you need to have an island (Koplic has been released, you can also use AiA if you own ArmA2 and/or OA). Once it's done, just rename the .pbo with the name of the island. Note that you need to have the island downloaded and installed to use the DUWS on this island, obviously.

Ah, alright! I find it hard to find the most recent updated(or at least find out which one is) AiA, could you give a link to it?

That's weird, maybe something is failing at the init.sqf

If you want to help, could you put this as the first line:

hint "DERP DERP DERP DERP";

Inside "SP_DUWS.stratis\initHQ\locatorhq.sqf"

So it would look like:

hint "DERP DERP DERP";
_foundSafePos = [center_of_map, 0,half_of_map,5,0,0.1,0] call BIS_fnc_findSafePos;
_handle = [_foundSafePos] execVM "initHQ\bluHQinit.sqf"; 

Start the mission and tell me if you see "DERP DERP DERP" appearing as a hint (top right corner of screen).

Thanks for your support guys :D.

Okay I finally had some time to test this out. I changed the file, moved the mission folder to the editor missions, clicked preview, and nothing. Still in the water, and there was no herp derp message displayed.

Again, no mods or anything. Just the dev branch.

@JuggernautOfWar: try to put the hint line as the first line of the init.sqf

Okay I put it in the top of BluHQinit.sqf and still nothing.

try to put the hint line as the first line of the INIT.sqf

Silly me I got it now. I did as you said and I do see the message when I preview the mission in the editor. Still spawning in the water though.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

I like this mission, especially the concept of it's dynamic nature. Nice job on this.

If you're looking for anymore feedback I'd like to see some more functionality built into the FOB's such as:

1. Recruiting AI Engineers & Medics

2. Vehicle repair

3. Healing

4. Armory

5. Fast Travel between FOB's

...these are just some ideas

PS - what is the point of using the FOB for "saving" the game? I mean when you exit the mission (escape, suspend) the game automatically gets saved anyway. There's really not enough incentive to bother with building an FOB since it has so little value currently.

Oh, sorry if I missed this in the parameters but is there anyway to adjust the amount of enemy?

Looking forward to seeing this in MP Coop! Thank you!

I've only had one issue and thats the helicopter refusing to land at hot LZ's and I get stuck while he auto hovers in the middle of nowhere.

I like this mission, especially the concept of it's dynamic nature. Nice job on this.

If you're looking for anymore feedback I'd like to see some more functionality built into the FOB's such as:

There's really not enough incentive to bother with building an FOB since it has so little value currently.

Oh, sorry if I missed this in the parameters but is there anyway to adjust the amount of enemy?

Looking forward to seeing this in MP Coop! Thank you!

Ok... the FOB will generate a couple guard squads... these act as excellent blocking forces for enemy units that might come to retake a zone. That is the purpose of an FOB. It is actually pretty close to exactly what they would be doing in reality.

Also, if you want more enemy, give the enemy commander more points to start with. It will then generate more of its own Task Forces to attempt to retake lost zones. Oh, and making it so you definitely need to rethink your position on FOBs being a waste of time.

Awesome mod! Cant wait for a Coop version.

---------- Post added at 07:30 ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 ----------

Edit nvm.. im dumb...