kibot

[SP]Dynamic Universal War System (DUWS alpha0.1)

Found a bug with 0.2:

If the map cannot support the number of zones it'll alert you and then not spawn any AI. Upon speaking to the commander the following error occurs:

Error in expression <olblu]];
ctrlSetText [1002, format["%1",WARCOM_blufor_ap]];

_index = lbAdd [15>
 Error position: <WARCOM_blufor_ap]];

_index = lbAdd [15>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: warcom_blufor_ap
File missions\__cur_sp.stratis\dialog\request.sqf, line 7

A request; could you make the purchasable items appear in a descending list based on their price?

Also, could you add a map marker for where the friendly AI squad(s) are? It's easy to lose them.

Edited by Furret

Just made a quick fix for the DUWS (0.2a now). On some side missions, the player wasn't getting any AP bonus.

Found a bug with 0.2:

If the map cannot support the number of zones it'll alert you and then not spawn any AI. Upon speaking to the commander the following error occurs:

Error in expression <olblu]];
ctrlSetText [1002, format["%1",WARCOM_blufor_ap]];

_index = lbAdd [15>
 Error position: <WARCOM_blufor_ap]];

_index = lbAdd [15>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: warcom_blufor_ap
File missions\__cur_sp.stratis\dialog\request.sqf, line 7

A request; could you make the purchasable items appear in a descending list based on their price?

Also, could you add a map marker for where the friendly AI squad(s) are? It's easy to lose them.

About the mission telling it cannot support the zones, it's part of the failsafe I've just added. Before, the script was looping for an infinite periode of time and basicly the player was stuck in the middle of the map generation.

The error you got when speaking to the HQ was because the WARCOM was not yet fully initialized.

I'll probably change the unit request dialog box layout, as for the markers, yes, I'll do that.

Edit: damn, just fixed a bug where the FOB support would not reappear after being denied, version is now 0.2b

Edited by kibot
put stuff in bold

Great mission, I've been looking for something like this to play because I don't have alot of friends to play arma 3 with, and almost all of the "sandbox" maps are either coop or multiplayer only. There is one called a whole lotta stratis but it's still kinda scripted. SO yeah, thank you for this.

I have suggestion, can you add a "call for taxi" support, like calling a heli for evac and you need to get to the safe LZ randomly placed near you, and calling a heli for insertion where you need to specify in the map where you want to land

I agree with everyone else, great mission and nice easy flow.. Will the future high command be a requirement or will they (friendly ai) be able to manage themselves.. Do AI stay inside and patrol the zones? Or are they able to move between zones?

Thanks for this, it's one type of mission I wish I could make and now don't have to :)

I'm having a really good time with your mission! Please keep expanding the concept!

Quick ideas:

• Maybe make the initial base an actual fire base?
  • Add some type of AI Helo transport (unlockable like the others... costing action points, of course).
  • Love the UAV mission, but sometimes it feels kinda simplified. Do you plan on using real UAVs that actually fly when they come available in-game? I wonder if they would detect enough of the enemy to make this viable?

Also, really liking the new fire base idea, but looks like I may have found a bug:

Fire bases I create do not seem to allow purchase of new units. No matter where I stand, I don't get that option. (I do get option for checking stats.)

Also, really liking the new fire base idea, but looks like I may have found a bug:

Fire bases I create do not seem to allow purchase of new units. No matter where I stand, I don't get that option. (I do get option for checking stats.)

Yep same here, no extra options apart from checking stats.

Regarding the FOB: sssht, don't tell anyone but I did a quick ninja patch a few hours after having released the latest version of the DUWS because requesting things at FOB was bugged and I felt it would be a bit too easy to request units at FOBs... Problem is that I did not update the DUWS manual entry, it was me being derpy :/.

I'll post an elaborate response to all of you a bit later, I'm a bit busy right now.

Units I can understand but please allow to order side missions and supports / ammo.

@lyndonguitar: some people have already requested this feature, so I'll try to add some sort of taxi system as support for the next release. Thanks for your support and feedback, glad I could help you enjoy the game solo :).

@Katipo66: High Command will not be a requirement unless you buy squads from the menu. Everything else is handled by the mission.

@MadRussian: I will surely keep working on it ! As I said, I'll add some sort of taxi system. For the firebase, I'm actually using a function I made myself for the arty/jdam/mortar strike since I made it pretty modular. I don't want to rewrite everything and focus on other things, I prefer not to touch it anymore right now. About the UAV, I'll see if I can do something with it when it's released, making an actual UAV recon the zone would be pretty cool.

@dale0404: At least being able to resupply at a FOB seems logical. I will add that

I'm starting to add a few things people have requested: markers on BLUFOR forces, taxi, ...

I'll also start to add an experience system(based on persistent stats of zones/island captured and missions accomplished) with abilities you unlock. Abilities will be like: being able to slow down time for a short period, better stamina,...

I also need to expand the WARCOM. Right now it's very basic.

Also, someone request a carpet bombing or a cluster bomb strike. For a lot of CPs, I like very much that idea !

Just uploaded the new version of the DUWS (see the first page). Version is now 0.3.

I dind't wanted to release this so early, but the manual placement of zones was kind of completely broken, had to fix that ASAP because being able to do his own mini-campaign was a main feature of the system

But hey, at least you can play with the new persistent XP system and the abilities unlock now ;).

See the changelog if you want more infos.

I'm really tired, good night :cool:.

how do i manually place the HQ, in the editor? when I start its always generating the HQ into a random place.

basically I want the HQ zones to be any place near the shore for realism. sometimes the HQ spawns in a bad sloped place and in between zones.

and the enemy zones to be mostly the towns and camps also for realism. most of the time it's just in the forest. and the towns, even the camps, are deserted.

Also another good suggestion is the addition of Civilians.

Edited by lyndonguitar

@lyndonguitar: go to the README.txt or the first page of this topic, it will tell you to go to the init.sqf inside the folder. Everything is explained. If you have more specific questions about placing manually the zones, I'll be glad to help.

As for adding civilians, I'm really not into it since it would be a huge performance vortex. Even with doing them dynamically spawn/despawn, It would mean scripts constantly running in the background creating/deleting units.

Also, I have just released a quickfix version of the DUWS (0.3a). The player was not getting CP when side missions were completed (0.3).

Hopefully, big gamebreaking bugs will stop appearing and I'll bet able to relax a bit.

Yes it is, just read the first page of this thread or the readme :).

I just reinstalled the newest update (Love the system) But now instead of breaking it auto places a second HQ even if I make my own, and that just bugs stuff out so badly its not even funny.

Check the init, there are 2 new variables to be set.

Check the init, there are 2 new variables to be set.

Oh. I feel like a fail. I'm going to be watching this mission-script setup very closely.. Actually just made this account to comment on your thread lol. Whenever you get to the point to make it a @addon I'll be first in line for any testing; You sir are replacing my MCC.

EDIT: Okay I just looked in the INIT, how can I place the HQ without zones? I like the randomly placed Zones opposed to placing them.

Edited by AtinAkiri
Update

In the init:

zones_manually_placed = false;
hq_manually_placed = true;

Thanks! I can't stress how much fun I've had aside from the constantly getting flanked when I enter the zones. In the next update will we have Squads and more units? (Dev build has the lovely High command modules :D)

With the manual setup option, is there some setting that needs to be set to get Blufor HQ to spawn units that go and attack zones?

I did try this

blufor_ap = 110;    // ARMY POWER

Also would adding editor placed units with guard waypoints screw anything up? Just as a place holder maybe :)

The manual setup option is great!

Edited by Katipo66

yes, blufor_ap is the right value to tweak. I still have to clarify the init.sqf a bit.

Also would adding editor placed units with guard waypoints screw anything up? Just as a place holder maybe

The DUWS is something you can build on. Adding units, patrols, buildings or making a base for your HQ should not break anything.

Also if you guys are making awesome campaigns with the DUWS, feel free to post them in this thread :).

edit:

In the next update will we have Squads and more units? (Dev build has the lovely High command modules )

I've had great fun with the HC module in the dev build in the DUWS. So yeah, next version will have HC. Any ETA for when the HC will be incorporated into ArmA III (not the dev build) ?.

If it's still far, I will have to script a check to see wich version the player has, thus enabling HC or not.

Here are a few screens:

voVLoes.jpg n0qD9Gs.jpg 1nbKCYs.jpg

Edited by kibot
response

I've had great fun with the HC module in the dev build in the DUWS. So yeah, next version will have HC. Any ETA for when the HC will be incorporated into ArmA III (not the dev build) ?.

As far as I know, it will either be 1 - 2 weeks as usual depending on how fast they tweak and what they find broken

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:41 ----------

Also would adding editor placed units with guard waypoints screw anything up? Just as a place holder maybe :)

Nah; I've gotten my base preset with 2 hunters and a CH-47 with a few patrolling guards.

yes, blufor_ap is the right value to tweak. I still have to clarify the init.sqf a bit.

The DUWS is something you can build on. Adding units, patrols, buildings or making a base for your HQ should not break anything.

Nah; I've gotten my base preset with 2 hunters and a CH-47 with a few patrolling guards.

Yea yea cool! great frame work to build on...

Also im looking forward to HC, the option of using it when buying squads sounds great.

Also im looking forward to HC, the option of using it when buying squads sounds great.

I spawned my own squads with HC and it pissed me off so bad when I got killed xD I had 2 Task Force going from two sides and the 1 guy they missed nailed me with a frag. If you want I can upload my little FOB save somewhere for you to toy with.

Edited by AtinAkiri
Why not?