Taosenai

TMR Modular Realism

Hey Tao,

I am experiencing some problems and, although I'm not entirely sure if they are related to this mod, I have the feeling it is highly possible.

Occasionally on loading a savegame picture is getting completely blurry to the same degree as your mod simulates the tunnel vision while looking through a magnifying lense. Also, while not entirely the same issue, sometimes the same effect persists when switching optics mode from magnified to collimator sights. The last case is not that much of an issue. I must say I'm not even sure if blur or no blur is intended while in collimator mode. In the first case however the game is nearly unplayable unless I restart it/load a different scenario.

Thanks for this mod! Hopefully you can help me sort this out.

P.S.: I will happily provide any additional info you might need. Just tell me.

Public Alpha

0.5alpha2

New modules

---------------------

tmr_ai

An ambitious AI overhaul based on tweaking engine values rather than using performance-hungry and often unreliable scripting techniques. Includes the usual adjustments to AI skills and accuracy, carefully tuned to create a dangerous and fast-reacting foe in CQB which does not turn into an aimbot at longer ranges. The most exciting feature is a complete rewrite of the AI weapon engagement patterns for most small arms (more to come). The AI will now fire bursts with their LMGs of varying lengths depending on the engagement range, slow their firing rate at longer ranges, and more. AI employment of fragmentation grenades and underbarrel grenade launchers is both more aggressive and less 'laser guided.' The AI will occasionally deploy smoke (again, no scripts). They will also engage at greater ranges more aggressively but less accurately.

tmr_blastfrag

Complete fragmentation simulation system for explosives. Most are implemented. Frag velocity calculated using real data and the Gurney equations where available. Uses an intelligent fragment generation system which only directs fragments where they will hit something (object, person, vehicle) in order to allow for considerable fragmentation effects without creating network desync or latency (even w/ 40mm AGL systems). Dramatically increases the lethality of hand and UGL grenades. Predictive fragmentation system inspired by the video released by Nou showcasing his (more sophisticated) system.

tmr_bodyarmor

Reworks all uniform and body armor values to provide a consistent gameplay experience. All uniforms now provide exactly the same degree of protection -- very little, seeing that fabric does not stop bullets. All tactical vests and chestrigs with armor plates modeled provide additional armor to the torso only. In order to maintain game balance and realism, the CSAT LBV Harnesses also provide plate equivalent armor (imagine that the plates are included with the LBV and insert directly into the advanced CSAT uniform). All armored helmets now provide equivalent protection. Note that this system still uses the BI hitpoints system, so don't expect miracles. Three chest shots with a 6.5mm rifle will reliably drop a man wearing plate-equivalent armor. Two pistol shots to the head will kill a man with a kevlar helmet, but plate armor considerably reduces pistol damage to the chest. Rifle headshots and shots against unarmored chests reliably kill in a single hit with 6.5mm. The overarching goal of this modification was to restore the time-to-kill/shots-to-kill feel of Arma 2, and to remove the inconsistent, unpredictable, and unfun armoring intentionally implemented by BI. (Grenadier vests provide double (!!) the armor by default. Why?)

tmr_hiteffects

Implements several new features relating to taking damage. Increases the intensity of the red flash when shot. Causes character to vocalize when hit (don't worry, it's subtle and uses existing game sounds). Damaging grenade and explosive blasts will cause temporary ear ringing. Characters who sustain considerable damage from a gunshot or explosion have a chance to fall down, either into a tactical prone position (if standing) or onto their butt (if crouching), to reflect the result of sudden shock, blood pressure loss, and fear (not 'knockdown power'). Inspired by the implementation in tpwmod.

tmr_particletweaks

Currently increases the volume and duration of a smoke grenades. Should have no noticeable performance effect.

tmr_physxtweaks

Attempts to reduce/eliminate the character 'knockback' jerk animation thing when shot. May or may not have any effect at all.

tmr_reloadspeedtweaks

Slightly slows the reload speeds of some weapons to better match their associated sounds (implementation is incomplete). Reduces the reload speed of the underbarrel grenade launcher to prevent excessively rapid fire. Reduces the reload speed of launchers to prevent excessively (!!) rapid fire, especially of Titan missiles against aircraft by AI. Reloading a launcher is a bit of a time commitment, so be careful...

tmr_smallarms_grenades

Increases blast and damage radius of all grenades, including 40mm underbarrel grenades, which are quite weak by default. Maintains realistic kill and casualty radius.

Changelog

----------------------------------

Added: Field Manual entries for many mods.

Added: autorest - Configurable keybinds using latest CBA Keybinding module.

Removed: aimsway -- learn to love the Bootcamp sway.

Changed: smallarms_recoil -- across the board increase to recoil. Resting more important than ever.

Fixed: nlaw -- Use correct keyname.

DOWNLOAD @tmr-0.5alpha2.zip

This is considered an Alpha release. Some features are not complete and others may have bugs, serious or otherwise. This has been tested in multiplayer.

I consider the new AI to be an appropriately fun challenge on 'Normal' (aipresetlevel=1). Note that vehicle AI behaviors have not been tuned (not that thermal sight 30mm cannons will ever yield a fun gameplay experience, no matter how much tweaking is done).

Excited for your feedback and bug reports. Be sure you are using the very latest CBA.

Edited by Taosenai
Fixed link

Whoa, super curious about tmr_ai, going to give this baby a try!

And it was too long since I fiddled with TMR. ;)

EDIT : error 404 on your link.

Link fixed, thanks!

Edited by Pepe Hal

You've done it again Tao. GREAT JOB

I like the changes to the grenade launchers and hand grenades the most!

I only have one concern and it regards the fragmentation system: If the fragmentation system only direct fragments at object like people and cars would it be easy to, in some cases, use that to detect where enemies are? Just a thought, if you could get back to me with a reply that would be great.

Recoil changes are amazing too, Also hit effects... really everything. just wow

Edited by BinaryMan

Muahaha, come to papa!

I'm very happy to see someone tackle fragmentation, now that NouberNou is too busy flaming libertarians on reddit. However, compared to his implementation, TMR's system is difficult to test. I see people getting hurt from explosions, but because there don't seem to be any audible fragments impacting anywhere, I can't tell just what sort of frag hazards are being created. The most wonderful thing about Noubers' system was that you would always hear the shrapnel that missed you as it buzzed past your ear (really just a spawned in low-caliber bullet. You could hide behind a wall, drop a grenade on the other side and hear the frag pepper the concrete. Best of all was lobbing around HE in a tank at close range and hearing the shrapnel splash across your own turret and glacis with a metallic clang. I'm very keen to test the system, so any insight you can share on its workings (what sorts of explosives are enabled, how range, quantity and accuracy of fragments is determined, etc) would help me help you.

Edit: I now see some fragment impacting, but only at very close range. Are they only rendered if they will hit something? I may have seen fragments passing through empty vehicles. I also noticed an apparent bug. I was standing next to a HESCO and launched an M203 perhaps 80mm away. As soon as the round left the barrel, I was hit in the face by a piece of frag, as if the system knew that I would be struck by one once the grenade landed, but acted too soon.

Public Alpha

0.5alpha2

tmr_hiteffects

Implements several new features relating to taking damage. Increases the intensity of the red flash when shot. Causes character to vocalize when hit (don't worry, it's subtle and uses existing game sounds). Damaging grenade and explosive blasts will cause temporary ear ringing. Characters who sustain considerable damage from a gunshot or explosion have a chance to fall down, either into a tactical prone position (if standing) or onto their butt (if crouching), to reflect the result of sudden shock, blood pressure loss, and fear (not 'knockdown power'). Inspired by the implementation in tpwmod.

About the quoted features... you say it's inspired by TPWmod. Is there any reason to believe that it could be complementary and compatible? So far, TPW and TMR have been a great combination.

Edited by maturin

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Love your upgrade to BI's RCO and ARCO scopes, has made a huge difference! Is there any chance of getting 5.56 versions?

About the quoted features... you say it's inspired by TPWmod. Is there any reason to believe that it could be complementary and compatible? So far, TPW and TMR have been a great combination.

I hope so too.

Hmm... may have to disable a couple of things now. Not sure how I feel about the body armour thing (my only real issue is giving the LBV plate-level armour) but I openly welcome everything else, good release.

P.S. Foxhound, you may have missed a couple of things in the changelog (notably the 8 new modules heh)

I think the new recoil might be a little excessive. Either that or the autorest feature should be adapted for these changes. Even with bipod deployed, managing to shoot anything past 250 meters with an LMG is tedious as hell with this new version of TMR. Just some feedback.

Did the AI entering or investigate Buildings when they search for me?

Didn't noticed such a behavior from them on my numerous tries with TPW_AI.

TMR, many thanks for the new release.

The feature "ear ringing" is really awful, impressive, I'd even venture to say agressive. My ears are still ringing, and that is in addition to the tinnitus I already had before.

Might I dare to suggest to reduce the volume of that effect a tick or two? ;-)

Optional tinnitus settings are always nice. Although that level of userconfig rarely gets into alpha releases.

You've done it again Tao. GREAT JOB

I like the changes to the grenade launchers and hand grenades the most!

I only have one concern and it regards the fragmentation system: If the fragmentation system only direct fragments at object like people and cars would it be easy to, in some cases, use that to detect where enemies are? Just a thought, if you could get back to me with a reply that would be great.

Recoil changes are amazing too, Also hit effects... really everything. just wow

Shouldn't be possible, not really. It directs fragments at objects like buildings, too, and also the ground. I suppose an extremely astute observer, throwing a grenade in just the right way, could possibly use it this way. But some random shrapnel is directed in all directions no matter what. It simply focuses additional shrapnel 'cones' where there are objects.

Getting this error when running last TMR :

http://a.pomf.se/jdwlmr.png

Using any other mods? Can you post your rpt? I can't duplicate this.

However, compared to his implementation, TMR's system is difficult to test. I see people getting hurt from explosions, but because there don't seem to be any audible fragments impacting anywhere, I can't tell just what sort of frag hazards are being created. The most wonderful thing about Noubers' system was that you would always hear the shrapnel that missed you as it buzzed past your ear (really just a spawned in low-caliber bullet. You could hide behind a wall, drop a grenade on the other side and hear the frag pepper the concrete. Best of all was lobbing around HE in a tank at close range and hearing the shrapnel splash across your own turret and glacis with a metallic clang. I'm very keen to test the system, so any insight you can share on its workings (what sorts of explosives are enabled, how range, quantity and accuracy of fragments is determined, etc) would help me help you.

Edit: I now see some fragment impacting, but only at very close range. Are they only rendered if they will hit something? I may have seen fragments passing through empty vehicles. I also noticed an apparent bug. I was standing next to a HESCO and launched an M203 perhaps 80mm away. As soon as the round left the barrel, I was hit in the face by a piece of frag, as if the system knew that I would be struck by one once the grenade landed, but acted too soon.

The fragment system is aggressively conservative right now. As it gets more testing, especially in multiplayer, I hope to dial it up a bit. You should still hear the fragments hitting around, though.

Take a look here to see what weapons currently have fragmentation enabled on them: https://github.com/Taosenai/tmr/blob/master/tmr_blastfrag/config.cpp

I'll look into the issue with 40mm grenades. There could definitely be a bug that would cause that intermittently. I haven't experienced it myself, though, I don't think.

I hope so too.

Of course, I should have thought of that in the first place. I'll detect if tpwfall is loaded and disable my falling function if so. No problem.

Hmm... may have to disable a couple of things now. Not sure how I feel about the body armour thing (my only real issue is giving the LBV plate-level armour) but I openly welcome everything else, good release.

That's why TMR is modular, but the LBV plate is a carefully considered change. Many normal (not recon) CSAT dudes wear the LBV Harness and its variations, and it would make their army much worse than the AAF and NATO forces if I didn't make it plate equivalent. As it is, the armies are all pretty evenly armored.

I think the new recoil might be a little excessive. Either that or the autorest feature should be adapted for these changes. Even with bipod deployed, managing to shoot anything past 250 meters with an LMG is tedious as hell with this new version of TMR. Just some feedback.

Which MG? The MX LSW still has considerable recoil even when deployed since it is a lightweight IAR-type weapon, rather than a true LMG, but both the Zafir and the Mk200 should be effective against point targets out to about 600m when used prone and deployed. If they're not, I'll look into it.

TMR, many thanks for the new release.

The feature "ear ringing" is really awful, impressive, I'd even venture to say agressive. My ears are still ringing, and that is in addition to the tinnitus I already had before.

Might I dare to suggest to reduce the volume of that effect a tick or two? ;-)

There are two levels of ear ringing right now -- one for a very close, probably damaging explosion and one that you were just on the edge of the blast from it. I'll check the volume. They may be too loud relative to other game sounds. I think they can add immersion (especially if they don't last all that long), but they certainly should not add pain or annoyance.

P.S. The final 0.5 release should hopefully include the a final version of Cambam's overheating system from his TMR fork. I am trying to figure out how I can make the 'heat distortion' particle effect appear over the barrel when the player aims with an overheating weapon. (There's no reliable way to 'find' the barrel's position in the world.) There should also be some very small chance of jamming at extreme heat levels.

Edited by Taosenai

I´ve loaded TMR_Ai along with bcombat, they doesn´t seem to conflict but I´m not yet sure if complement... maybe the load order can make one disable - at least some functions - of the other, or they can all live in Peace and Harmony all together now?

cheers!

Which MG? The MX LSW still has considerable recoil even when deployed since it is a lightweight IAR-type weapon, rather than a true LMG, but both the Zafir and the Mk200 should be effective against point targets out to about 600m when used prone and deployed. If they're not, I'll look into it.

It was the Zafir. It might be a matter of opinions though.

Anyway, i messed around with TMR for the whole day now, and i'm really happy with tmr_hiteffects. Really adds to immersion. Talking about that specific addon, i have a suggestion, when the character " falls " is this possible to ensure that the target stays on the ground for a specific amount of time ? Something short, similar to TPW, actually.

Thanks.

Of course, I should have thought of that in the first place. I'll detect if tpwfall is loaded and disable my falling function if so. No problem.

That's a class act.

Not to be a pain in the ass, but I should point out that TPW Fall will always be loaded. Because TPW uses a single PBO with userconfig to enable or disable certain elements. If someone came to prefer your falling system to TPW's, they would then be unable to choose (since it would default to TPW).

So ideally, TMR would read the userconfig for TPW. Or if that's not possible, just let the user manually disable TMR's falling function.

You should still hear the fragments hitting around, though.

Yeah, I do hear the fragments hitting now that I have spent more time playing. It's just the range that is short.

Thanks for the config link; I'll look it over.

Hi Tao!

I've tried tmr_ai a bit, and saw some welcomed differences right away! The most noticeable change was the rate of fire; vanilla AI tends to have a very mechanic way to shoot, it is so regular that you could believe it is a robot shooting in the distance. I'll have to explore the other features further, but it's already on my "must have" list (I love how you did that by tweaking configs only).

Have you considered to remove the various dependencies for that module? For instance I wasn't fond of the modifications brought by tmr_language so I edited the requiredAddons entrie for my personnal use.

Didn't see any issue so far; it seems that tmr_core is not needed either? Could you confirm this?

Hi, Great MOD. Been using it for awhile.

I seem to have discovered a bug with TMR the only occures at a very specific setup.

To illustrate do this:

1) Open any map in the editor (I used Stratis).

2) Place any player unit anywhere (I tested with a rifleman and a granadier).

3) Paste the following code into the unit initialization:

removeAllWeapons this;
removeAllItems this;
removeAllAssignedItems this;
removeUniform this;
removeVest this;
removeBackpack this;
removeHeadgear this;
removeGoggles this;
this forceAddUniform "U_IG_Guerilla2_1";
this addItemToUniform "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag";
this addItemToUniform "1Rnd_HE_Grenade_shell";
this addWeapon "arifle_TRG21_GL_F";

4) Preview

What happens is I'm now locked in grenade launcher mode and cannot switch out of it.

It only seems to happen when using this paticular rifle and grenadelauncher: "arifle_TRG21_GL_F".

I tested it using an other ("arifle_MX_GL_F") and the problem is not there.

The only mods loaded are CBA and TMR, both the latest versions as of today.

Cheers :)

You're a class act Taosenai! Let me know if you need any help with interoperability.

not that thermal sight 30mm cannons will ever yield a fun gameplay experience, no matter how much tweaking is done

Hmm. Maybe nerfing the thermal imaging would be something for TMR? :D Lower picture fidelity etc., especially over range?