Taosenai

TMR Modular Realism

Is it possible for me to somehow allow only the scope reticles from TMR (none of the other features) on my server? It would be great. Thanks.

Is it possible for me to somehow allow only the scope reticles from TMR (none of the other features) on my server? It would be great. Thanks.

It's possible. All you have to do is just remove all the .pbos except "tmr_optics.pbo" and "tmr_optics.pbo.bisign" from the folder, and since TMR is modular it should run fine.

That means that it's working properly. The PCML in real life is a disposable PLOS launcher. I think that there are a few tutorials included, you might want to check them out. As far as I know Titan works fine.

You've probably noticed that theres now two 6.5mm suppressors when you use TMR, one for the MX and one for the Katiba. They aren't interchangeable, so you can't use the ones you pick off the enemy (unless you're using one of their weapons).

yea I will have to check it out, I understand the PCML is a disposable launcher in real life, but in real life in 2035 its likely it will be much better by then, the suppressors I guess it makes sense that it isnt threaded for the same barrels but I would assume that no one is actually uses threading anymore it would be a quick disconnect and you could use an adapter of some sorts

but again since this is sosposta be 2035 why change the weapon to make it less useable, there should be lock on for all launchers and there should be some sorta projected trajectory for launchers

I want everything that this mod does except for the non-lock on launcher - can that be done?

From what I can tell the flash-hiders-that-don't-hide-flash are QD mounts, but they are different per rifle.

Different factions/countries, different GI gear.

If you've read the post above, you can remove any .pbos that have features that you don't like.

It's possible. All you have to do is just remove all the .pbos except "tmr_optics.pbo" and "tmr_optics.pbo.bisign" from the folder, and since TMR is modular it should run fine.

He needs not to play with scopes only by himself, - he wants to limit it for his server clients

Have you tried the new TMR-CSO? It's a variant of TMR designed to have only a few pure-client features enabled, incl. reticles & resting

TMR-CSO has a separate key, so you can allow just it.

Edited by DarkWanderer

@Taosenai,

It's glad to see you are still proceeding the MOD.

I really like the three rifle 2D optics you designed to substitute for the bizarre hand feeling official 3D ones, but just don't know why you use the scripted UI to achieve the illuminating reticles, instead of using p3d model and and config to switch the reticles?

You may refer to toadie2k's AK pack, where he did a good job for PSO 1 illuminating reticles.

Edited by Lao Fei Mao

first let me say thanks for making this mod I do like it and it makes the sniper shooting better

I am a little confused about the suppressors not working on the same caliber weapons, I understand the reasoning behind this as the barrels would have to be threaded for them but this goes against what TMR says its whole theory is about, #3 "No unnecessarily frustrating or tedious mechanics." this seems pretty unnecessarily frustrating and tedious to have to deal with the suppressors and the non-lock on PCML

yea its actually a disposable launcher I get that but maybe it was upgraded this is 2035 after all and just to make things less frustrating how about letting it lock on like it did with the stock setup

I didnt see the predictive line of sight targeting with the PCML it was just a normal optics system and it wouldnt lock on, am I doing something wrong? - it would be cool is it had some way to lock on and then tell you where to shoot to hit the target rather than actually guiding it to the target, but again this is sosposta be 2035 so whats wrong with guided lock on

also if no lock on and if PCML is one time use I have all these PCML missiles in my inventory, why not convert those to launchers if I cant reload them anymore - what do I do with these missiles now?

again thanks this is just questions not complaining you made a great mod

Edited by sandsquid

I didnt see the predictive line of sight targeting with the PCML it was just a normal optics system and it wouldnt lock on, am I doing something wrong? - it would be cool is it had some way to lock on and then tell you where to shoot to hit the target rather than actually guiding it to the target, but again this is sosposta be 2035 so whats wrong with guided lock on

There are a few tutorials in the Scenarios menu somewhere for TMR - one is to guide you in how to use the PLOS system. It's been awhile, but It think the basic idea is you press Tab and hear the clunk, so long as the vehicle does not accelerate in any direction then the missile should hit. Tutorial is much better at explaining than me though.

He needs not to play with scopes only by himself, - he wants to limit it for his server clients

Have you tried the new TMR-CSO? It's a variant of TMR designed to have only a few pure-client features enabled, incl. reticles & resting

TMR-CSO has a separate key, so you can allow just it.

Thank you, I'll try that!

@Taosenai,

It's glad to see you are still proceeding the MOD.

I really like the three rifle 2D optics you designed to substitute for the bizarre hand feeling official 3D ones, but just don't know why you use the scripted UI to achieve the illuminating reticles, instead of using p3d model and and config to switch the reticles?

You may refer to toadie2k's AK pack, where he did a good job for PSO 1 illuminating reticles.

Couple of reasons for the more complex approach used in TMR. One, with my system eventually it will be possible to finely control the illumination, rather than having it on/off. Two, true scaling FFP reticles are possible this way. Three, animated recoil is only possible with this approach. Four, reticles that move within the view when windage/elevation are adjusted (such as the PSO) are only possible this way. All of these are planned features. Most are blocked by the need for a key config interface, which is slowly coming (GUI making is so slow).

In a game where the primary way you interact with the world is shooting it, I think all of these types of things are necessary to deepen that experience.

I am a little confused about the suppressors not working on the same caliber weapons, I understand the reasoning behind this as the barrels would have to be threaded for them but this goes against what TMR says its whole theory is about, #3 "No unnecessarily frustrating or tedious mechanics." this seems pretty unnecessarily frustrating and tedious to have to deal with the suppressors and the non-lock on PCML

yea its actually a disposable launcher I get that but maybe it was upgraded this is 2035 after all and just to make things less frustrating how about letting it lock on like it did with the stock setup

TMR respects Arma 3's fantasy 2035 setting (e.g., I won't remove the Metal Storm grenade launchers or make other user-hostile changes to the existing units and items) but does not re-interpret the included real weapons in a futuristic fashion. After all, the American military is still using weapons and aircraft from the 1960s here in 2014. Rebels are fighting modern wars with StG-44s. It's the shock of the old.

The PCML is a renamed NLAW, an existing weapon system, and the functionality of that existing weapon system is what is modeled in TMR. The NLAW uses PLOS guidance, which is explained by the included tutorial mission, found under Scenarios -> TMR Training. Because TMR's NLAW uses a top-attack EFP, it's actually considerably better than the default lock-on direct attack PCML.

The unique suppressor system is a technical requirement in order to maintain distinct recoil and rate of fire characteristics for weapons of the same caliber, due to engine limitations. Muzzle threading is simply a realistic justification for this workaround. Remove tmr_smallarms_suppressors_unique.pbo if you don't care about correct rates of fire and recoil for suppressed weapons.

Edited by Taosenai

so what about all the PCML missiles I have, I cant reload them?

if I had used this from the start of the campaign would I have lots of PCML launchers instead of missiles? like only those would be in the game no stand alone missiles?

what about thermal for the scopes and optics, why arent there in everything there are some really high tech things out now that PMC's and specops use and those are running around here in this game they are bound to have some better gear than the best thats in this game

arma does have thermal optics it cant be that hard to make those work in all optics systems

although I can agree that the military is slow at upgrading and people are using decade old stuff in current interactions that is all being worked out now that the "video gaming generation" has gotten into the military, like the xbox 360 controller to control robots thats not something the military came up with and things like this are coming up all the time so I think advancements are going to go much faster - but even if they dont I am sure the NVG's would be better than they are in this game, its essentially the same as it is in arma 2 and in real life

and what about all the stuff I collected in "scouting" thats never there again when I start a mission so can you make this mod just have everything the game has for weapons and support gadgets in the container when I start a mission?

i keep getting bad version 59 in p3d file 'tmr_rpg42\data\reticule_rpg_f_clean.p3d' error whenever i preview something in the editor

Tao, I got a question which is frustrasting me since weeks :confused:

If I download any mod with new weapons (not optics) and I use it with tmr will these weapons be affected by tmr's recoil and other minor things? I'm sure that resting works but not about the rest :/

Thank you for your great work, grazie mille!

They won't be -- the recoils profiles are per-weapon. *Some* weapons might, if they inherit from BI's weapon classes.

Just a little update. The key configuration system is completed. It uses a small dll file to read and write config values from within Arma 3, so there's no need to edit any config files by hand. It integrates elegantly (IMHO) with the base game and looks like it belongs, which is something I aspire to with all of my mods. In addition to key bindings, the config system can also be used to store strings, arrays, numbers, etc. It's a flexible foundation for me to build from.

http://i.imgur.com/FP4kLej.jpg (126 kB)

I've decided to separate it from TMR so that other mod authors can use it if they'd like. I put quite a lot of thought into designing a system that can be optional. For example, the next version of Tao Folding Map will use this system to allow its keys to be rebound if you have it installed. If not, it'll use the config file. I'll include documentation for mod authors with the release.

TMR 0.5 should also have a fragmentation system, a backblast system, and a weapon overheating/jamming system as its main features, along with the new keybinding system.

Thank you Tao, really looking forward to the next update!

So glad you've made the key binding open for all to use, scholar and a gentleman.

I'm going to push a 0.4 point release with the new keybinding system very soon and delay the other features to 0.5. The overheating system needs more care and I know the keys are a blocker for some users right now.

Awesome, so glad you decided to keep working on this when you did!

I know the keys are a blocker for some users right now.

Reference the keys, here's a crazy idea that might work;

Could resting be made to activate when the 'tiny stance adjustment' is used? I forget what the default keybind is, but I uses ctrl up or ctrl down to make those little stance up or stance down changes that A3 gave us. I was wondering if when the 'resting available' icon popped up, the use of this little stance adjustment could be made to activate the resting.

I'm not suggesting it's bound to (in my case) ctrl up/down, but was thinking the script might be able to sense when one of these little stance changes had happened and if resting is available, it should be activated.

Reference the keys, here's a crazy idea that might work;

Could resting be made to activate when the 'tiny stance adjustment' is used? I forget what the default keybind is, but I uses ctrl up or ctrl down to make those little stance up or stance down changes that A3 gave us. I was wondering if when the 'resting available' icon popped up, the use of this little stance adjustment could be made to activate the resting.

I'm not suggesting it's bound to (in my case) ctrl up/down, but was thinking the script might be able to sense when one of these little stance changes had happened and if resting is available, it should be activated.

It's a workable idea, by the way. The key is called "stance modifier" and is bound as single key (Ctrl)

It would have a hint of realism to. If you were standing with your rifle just above a low wall, the act of resting on that wall would involve a slight downward adjustment of stance.

Having tried this mod, I have to say the amount (or the lack of) any recoil when the weapon is supported is enormously unrealistic. The accuracy of the weapon is so high when rested even on typical surface that you would be the worlds greatest marksman (I'm not even kidding, I tested it and I would have won every single competition I was in) even on full auto fire mode. Without having a physical support strapped to the weapon you are not going to hit a target 150m away with full auto fire mode. Especially when prone the accuracy is mindbogglingly high. When I was doing nationwide competitions in the army (finished in the final three, Finland 2006), without a built in support (sandbags, carefully planned firing position and bipods etc) for the weapon, using automatic fire was inaccurate for targets beyond 80m. With this mod, I am very effective at ranges >200m with full auto and just prone with no support.

With this mod, I am performing several orders of magnitude better than one would in real life situations and competitions. When prone, the only part of your gun that might touche the ground is the magazine, which is a highly unstable platform to support your gun on. This mod behaves as it is a strapped/weighted bipod with sandbags around it.

I would have won the entire country competition with a single automatic fire burst, with no support while on prone at a target 150m away in just a half a second...using this mod. The recoil needs to be substantially higher than what it is to represent real life marksman performances.

I apologize if I sound a bit too ranty, but this is an important topic for me :)

Edited by Katulobotomia

Sounds like the mod's not for you then :)

He does have a point, though. The recoil is a bit too low when hard rested. Though I'm kinda confused since prone resting is mentioned, which isn't in theory possible without an object like an ammobox or a disposed launcher (nice touch btw) on the ground.

Also, is lateral recoil possible to have in Arma? I sometimes think that since backwards recoil doesn't look right (like some sort of reciprocating spine bender) it might work to balance (uh, that word) it out with side to side recoil.

Optics issues are still not fixed in latest version when in triple screen/5760x1080 resolutions. I get a faded border with a blank circle in the middle with no scope optics/graphics...just looks like I'm looking through a transparent piece of paper with a hole cut in it.