Taosenai

TMR Modular Realism

Hi,

we use your addon with the VTS mission and the weapon resting & Bipods work at the begining but when a player change his class (take medic for exemple), your addon stop working and we can t deploy weapon anymore (no icon and vanilla recoil for the weapon). There is a solution ?

Hi,

we use your addon with the VTS mission and the weapon resting & Bipods work at the begining but when a player change his class (take medic for exemple), your addon stop working and we can t deploy weapon anymore (no icon and vanilla recoil for the weapon). There is a solution ?

I seem to have the same or a similar problem. When i spawn as autorifleman in the editor, i can deploy the bipod. Sometimes, when i request a mk200 on a virtual ammobox, it wont work anymore.

I can understand setting the MX SW to have the ability to switch between auto and semi-auto but I do not think it would make a lot of sense to give Mk200 and the Zafir a semi-auto setting. Personally, I believe these two should only stay in fully automatic. Of course, this would be to be agreed by by a majority of the community so we shall see what others have to say on the issue.

Tao,

Nice job on the addon! Just wanted to get your thoughts on your implementation.

1. Can you use the CBA key handler function instead?

2. The perFrame checks to see if player is intersecting with something seems like a heavy FPS-hitting approach. I guess its the only way of doing auto-rest, have you thought of using a key to rest the weapon instead?

3. The use of the objects for geo reference, is that needed? Should you disableSimulation on those?

Impressive stuff though!

Cheers

Tup

Edited by Tupolov

I can understand setting the MX SW to have the ability to switch between auto and semi-auto but I do not think it would make a lot of sense to give Mk200 and the Zafir a semi-auto setting. Personally, I believe these two should only stay in fully automatic. Of course, this would be to be agreed by by a majority of the community so we shall see what others have to say on the issue.

But it's wrong, at least for the Zafir. Can't speak for the MK200.

EDIT: Actually, i think the Mk.200 doesn't have a singleshot mode. Atleast i couldnt find anything about one.

Edited by mantls

I seem to have the same or a similar problem. When i spawn as autorifleman in the editor, i can deploy the bipod. Sometimes, when i request a mk200 on a virtual ammobox, it wont work anymore.

Similar problems here. It seems to work correctly for me in editor and ingame server but on our dedicated servers the autorest option disappears after respawn/revive. We have the same problem with other mods as well, ie VTS weaponresting, Fast transitions mod... Problem came after stable 0.74 patch. Haven't been able to figure out the exact problem.

Great job. Not gonna start Arma 3 again without your mod.

The implementation of weapon resting and bipod is better than ACE2.

Great job. Not gonna start Arma 3 again without your mod.

The implementation of weapon resting and bipod is better than ACE2.

I was thinking that myself, it's like the amazing weapon resting from I44 was combined with the bipods from ACE2.

If I could make a suggestion, I feel like some white should be introduced for the HUD icon for "the weapon is rested", currently it's either see through or black, so if it's hidden by the gun it's invisible. Also make the icon a bit more prominent position-wise so I don't have to search for it and take my eyes off the enemy.

Keep up the amazing work!

It would be awesome to have the icon moveable with the GUI modification tool BIS provides in the options menu, but I'm not sure it's possible to do...

Yay!

I've recently installed your mod and loving it so far, the weapon resting and bipod deployment is great! However, I feel that the PCML is not working as intended.

I have taken a short video of the training mission:

As you can see when looking through the optics the round flies above the Ifrit completely. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a problem/bug?

In addition to this the PLOS also has a poor performance in the scenario in which you provided (Haven't tested outside of the scenario your provided). Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a problem/bug?

Many thanks,

BinaryMan

I've recently installed your mod and loving it so far, the weapon resting and bipod deployment is great! However, I feel that the PCML is not working as intended.

As you can see when looking through the optics the round flies above the Ifrit completely. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a problem/bug?

In addition to this the PLOS also has a poor performance in the scenario in which you provided (Haven't tested outside of the scenario your provided). Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a problem/bug?

Many thanks,

BinaryMan

I think you forgot to press Tab once to use the PLOS system

Thanks for comments. I have been away while moving to a new place and waiting for internet hookup. TMR dev should be resuming soon.

I was wondering if it is possible to remove the recoil vertical climb or some sort of return to battery at almost the same spot as before the shot?

[...] As you know the weapon returns to its former point of aim (almost) without a vertical climb as it is now (and still is with your mod).

As you wrote earlier it is not the recoil that makes it difficult to hit at longer distances, there should be a "cone of fire" that increases with fully automatic/fast firing instead of the old school "sky shooter" recoil which is unparalleled in the real world.

It is kinda-sort of possible. I did do a build during my testing where the point of aim would snap right back down to where it was, or close to it. It didn't feel good, somehow. That's about all I can say.

In my opinion, having to use the mouse to counter muzzle climb is a learnable skill which is a good metaphor for learning stance/grip/bone structure on a real rifle. If you watch countless videos of inexperienced shooters trying to control a rented full-auto rifle, for example, they inevitably can't hold it and end up with the muzzle to the sky. Meanwhile you can see more experienced shooters handle full-auto without much more than 'dispersion.'

The most important element is that the recoil is consistent. Arma 3's default recoil feels random to me (as I show in my video), probably because it uses too many frames of animation or something. TMR's recoils have at most four frames, and as a result the climb in full-auto (at a steady FPS) is very predictable. I can apply a small, consistent downward motion with my mouse and get a nice pattern with full auto. But I'm very experienced with the system. A newer player will have a harder time controlling it. But he can improve with a little practice, and can certainly use it for suppression from the start. I think that's good.

I will check this out, but I can't guarantee script compatibility. I did do some of my testing with Virtual Ammobox System, so hm.

The Zafir's real counterpart has a semi mode, and the LSAT does as well. Since the Mk200 is a hybrid LSAT/KAC LMG, I thought it'd be a sensible addition.

1. Can you use the CBA key handler function instead?

2. The perFrame checks to see if player is intersecting with something seems like a heavy FPS-hitting approach. I guess its the only way of doing auto-rest, have you thought of using a key to rest the weapon instead?

3. The use of the objects for geo reference, is that needed? Should you disableSimulation on those?

1. I could, but I've never understood what advantage it is supposed to give over the default.

2. The PFEH doesn't execute its logic each frame; it has a 0.5s (as I recall) delay built-in. I haven't done any FPS testing but I believe there is no impact. Certainly it does not impact high-performance scripts, as the PCML guidance works just fine when using autorest module at the same time.

3. I believe creating and attaching the objects then using lineIntersects between them has a lower performance overhead than calling modelToWorld and then doing lineIntersects. modelToWorld is a performance-heavy command, but the engine easily keeps track of a few objects. Those objects already use a very simple simulation type in the engine so there's very little performance impact. I did check-in a fix to use createVehicleLocal. Silly of me to have them go over the network -- that's wasted performance, if minor.

If I could make a suggestion, I feel like some white should be introduced for the HUD icon for "the weapon is rested", currently it's either see through or black, so if it's hidden by the gun it's invisible. Also make the icon a bit more prominent position-wise so I don't have to search for it and take my eyes off the enemy.

I wanted it to be very minimal -- something that wouldn't distract you at all. I will consider some other options for it -- maybe a faint gray outline would help it pop.

It would be awesome to have the icon moveable with the GUI modification tool BIS provides in the options menu, but I'm not sure it's possible to do...

Man, that would be cool. I'm not sure if mods can hook into that interface or not.

It looks like the missile is flying juuust slightly too high in the overflight profile to trip its 'warhead sensor.' For now, try crouching. I made some changes to the flight profile/pop-up that may help with these cases. I wonder what the real look-down range is on the NLAW/SRAW warheads? The SRAW uses a combined magnetic/laser sensor -- magnetic to find a big metal thing to hate, lasers to detect the leading and trailing edge of it so it can blow up in the middle.

Thanks for the answer Tao, but given the fact the "player" is a trained soldier, there should be no inexperienced shooter. This could be proportional to the skill slider, if BIS decides to change the recoil system to something realistic. The weight of the weapon will lower it automatically and a proper grip and stance will counter any sun-shooting whatsoever.

I know this is a bold request, but if you are tweaking a new build, maybe you could make one "test" version for public use with a return to battery configuration. Not to the exact same point, but close to it. This might feel "strange" in-game, but this is due to the fact we are used to BS recoil systems for balancing reasons. And there is definitely no need for balancing in a simulation.

Thanks anyway!

I tried the PCML again tonight, it works great. I'm super confused now. Perhaps the weapon has intermittent functionality? I dunno :/

Edit: Works fine both standing and crouch (didn't work when I made my first post). Also the PLOS works great.

I think you forgot to press Tab once to use the PLOS system

The PLOS was over leading. Maybe it was user error.

Edit 2: Played the training scenario some more; firing while using the optics doesn't achieve hits anymore. I am so confused.

Edited by BinaryMan

I wanted it to be very minimal -- something that wouldn't distract you at all. I will consider some other options for it -- maybe a faint gray outline would help it pop.

Thanks, the only issue is at night/in shadows the icon is not discernable, making it feel like the mod is switching on/off a lot. Perhaps the weapon resting area should be made larger, but I think the best solution is just to make the icon a little more visible.

I would like to see the Zafir made auto by default (so annoying getting out of a vehicle and the thing is back on semi), I can understand it having semi-auto as a 7.62mm but would not miss it if it were gone. Also how about a sound for when fire mode is changed?

I would like to see the Zafir made auto by default (so annoying getting out of a vehicle and the thing is back on semi), I can understand it having semi-auto as a 7.62mm but would not miss it if it were gone. Also how about a sound for when fire mode is changed?

I would also like to see this, and I'd love if there was some way to provide optional configs to make any weapon with full-auto be on auto by default.

Thanks for the answer Tao, but given the fact the "player" is a trained soldier, there should be no inexperienced shooter. This could be proportional to the skill slider, if BIS decides to change the recoil system to something realistic. The weight of the weapon will lower it automatically and a proper grip and stance will counter any sun-shooting whatsoever.

I know this is a bold request, but if you are tweaking a new build, maybe you could make one "test" version for public use with a return to battery configuration. Not to the exact same point, but close to it. This might feel "strange" in-game, but this is due to the fact we are used to BS recoil systems for balancing reasons. And there is definitely no need for balancing in a simulation.

Thanks anyway!

they had that feature in planetside 2 for one build, and it drove a lot of people mental. if you even slightly countered the recoild druing a burst, you ended up looking at your feet

Was it your mod that improved the bolt release on the MX? I just realized that the bolt goes forward almost instantaneously now. Either that or the devbranch ninja'd something in. Also, in devbranch your RPG-42 becomes a rocket. Is this intentional? It flies straight.

Other than that amazing work, the game feels wrong without it.

EDIT: Never mind, it's on their side.

Edited by 13isLucky

@Nimrod: That is actually sad. Games used this "feature" for way too long. I'd rather play with increased spread as many games do it instead of poor physics and realism.

But monkey sees, monkey does.

Hello, I'd like to be able to make a bipod attachment for weapons, probably as a muzzle attachment. Would it be possible to make it so I can set "tmr_autorest_deployable = 1;" in the attachment somewhere, and allow the player to rest the weapon as if it had a bipod?

Currently it does nothing, whether I put that in the attachment class itself, or into the ItemInfo portion of it.

I just checked and this is currently the case with TMR -- I spawned in as a CSAF autorifleman and my Zafir was on auto.

Hello, I'd like to be able to make a bipod attachment for weapons, probably as a muzzle attachment. Would it be possible to make it so I can set "tmr_autorest_deployable = 1;" in the attachment somewhere, and allow the player to rest the weapon as if it had a bipod?

Currently it does nothing, whether I put that in the attachment class itself, or into the ItemInfo portion of it.

It's possible but will require a change in TMR to also check attachments to see if they have the flag set.

Do you have a 3D model for such an attachment, or were you planning to make it an 'invisible' attachment? Since this seems like a desirable feature, I will plan to include an 'invisible' bipod attachment that goes in the muzzle device slot in the next TMR release. This should be straightforward to add, I think.

Hey,

do you have a rough plan of things you'll add in the Future? apart from what is listed on the bugtracker already.

Also, i believe there is a script called INKO Disposable already (the CAF mod utilizes that afaik) which does exactly what you listed as a proposed solution in the bugtracker.

Cheers, im loving every bit of this!

Sent a PM about the bipod.

Another idea; what do you think about adding some sort of hi-capacity drum magazine for the Katiba, and Beta-C magazines for the F2000 and TAR-21? It seems like it would be mostly just icon and config work; these are things that either already exist in real life in at least some form.

While on the subject of magazine tweaks: The Stanag magazines have choices for any of the three tracer colours, while most of the other tracer magazines don't; might it be possible to add variants for that?

Edited by Kaelies